Breakfast In the Dining Rooms

I guess I just eat at off times or something, but the only time I've encountered uber crowding at Cabanas was the morning we docked in Key West on the Magic 4-night last year - and that's because everyone was up and had to be ready for Customs. In that case it was not really that hard to find a table because there were servers who were immediately bussing tables and calling people over to them.

We did do breakfast in the MDR one morning and it was fine. But at the beginning of the day - especially a port day when I have things to do - I'd rather eat on my schedule which I can do in Cabanas rather than wait for my order to be taken (or verified if I knew I was going to eat there the next morning and put an order in since I'm gluten-free) and then wait for the food to come. In Cabanas I can do eggs and other protein and not have to wait for things.

We love breakfast and lunch in the MDRs and dine there every day it is an option other than disembarkation morning. It is such a civilized way to dine. Relaxing and quiet. Service is great. I am not a fan of buffets for sanitary reasons...reinforced a couple cruises ago by a man licking his fingers after putting something on his plate. Unbelievable!

We usually do lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, unless it is warm enough to swim, then we grab something in cabanas and take it out onto the pool deck. We have never done breakfast in an MDR, with the exception of the last morning once. I think we are going to try to do that more often on this cruise.

I think the only reason we go to Cabanas is that there is such a variety to choose from. Seems each person in our party likes something different.

We did do breakfast in the MDR one morning and it was fine. But at the beginning of the day - especially a port day when I have things to do - I'd rather eat on my schedule which I can do in Cabanas rather than wait for my order to be taken (or verified if I knew I was going to eat there the next morning and put an order in since I'm gluten-free) and then wait for the food to come. In Cabanas I can do eggs and other protein and not have to wait for things.
And this makes sense. You're trying to get off the ship, so you just want to grab and go.

We love breakfast and lunch in the MDRs and dine there every day it is an option other than disembarkation morning. It is such a civilized way to dine. Relaxing and quiet. Service is great. I am not a fan of buffets for sanitary reasons...reinforced a couple cruises ago by a man licking his fingers after putting something on his plate. Unbelievable!
:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:
why I always apply sanitizer onto my hands just before eating at Cabanas...

I'm the type of person that doesn't really sleep much when I'm on a cruise (I want to experience it all) so by the time I wake up, walk around the deck for a few miles, shower and get dressed they are just starting to serve breakfast in Cabanas' and it's a perfect time to avoid the crowds. In my experience it seems like breakfast and lunch in the MDR are less crowded then in Cabanas or any of the quick food service areas on the pool deck during the same time.

Last edited:
We found on the mornings we sleep in late, can't get to the MDR breakfast, and don't want to hit Cabanas we actually just go to the pool deck quick service choices. One of them, I can't remember which, had fruit, yogurt etc, and we'd pick up some free pastries at Cove Cafe. It worked well on our sleep in mornings when we did't want to do room service ahead of time.

Has anyone tried to go to Cabanas and bring a plate back to your room so the kids can eat after waking up? I normally do this when we stay in hotels.

Has anyone tried to go to Cabanas and bring a plate back to your room so the kids can eat after waking up? I normally do this when we stay in hotels.
One time I did this while everyone was asleep. When I got back to the cabin, I discovered that I didn’t have my room key. Oops.

What did you use to sanitize your food though?
I had to think about what the worst case scenario was for this also. He touched food put the food on his plate licked his fingers after touching his food. Not the best manners but it’s something I could live with. But now he put his hand on the soup ladle of my favorite strawberry soup! Now it gets to be more of a sticky situation LOL
PS I knew you understood but I couldn’t resist my strawberry soup comment!

I do this pretty much every morning. Out of the 6 of us (2 cabins), my youngest daughter and I are the only ones who make it to the MDR for breakfast. The we swing by Cabanas on the way back and grab pastries, donuts and fruit for the sleepyheads, leave those on the coffee table then head up to the top deck to read or wait for them to regain consciousness.

Works well, and we always see others doing the same.

I do this pretty much every morning. Out of the 6 of us (2 cabins), my youngest daughter and I are the only ones who make it to the MDR for breakfast. The we swing by Cabanas on the way back and grab pastries, donuts and fruit for the sleepyheads, leave those on the coffee table then head up to the top deck to read or wait for them to regain consciousness.

Works well, and we always see others doing the same.

It’s your vacation as well. I would hope your family in the room was capable of helping themselves.

Early risers here so perhaps that's why I didn't find Cabana's overly crowded. Don't get me wrong, it was bustling - but never to the point of annoyance. I will say, however, we mixed it up and went to the MDR several times, as well.

Does the Cove Café run out of pastries....I will need my carmel latte every morning! What ares the breakfast and lunch menus like in the MDR?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter