Breaking news-Travelers flying from New York to Florida will be placed under 14-day quarantine,

Wow just...wow. No wonder Florida is in trouble. I would of loved to see which mayors asked about more enforcement on the tri states as well as the response from the governor himself. Talk about being clueless!

Trying to find a way to get this to the attention of many people. Maybe we could communicate with one of the FL vloggers to highlight why quarantining the tri-state while ignoring those from the hotspots could be a deadly mistake.

For kicks, I googled a few key words to see if anything new popped up. My heart lept when I saw the headlines in one of the hits, "
DeSantis cracking down on travelers from ‘hotspots,’".....
and then
I noticed
the date.......................March 23
sigh

need to adjust settings on my searches.

For kicks, I googled a few key words to see if anything new popped up. My heart lept when I saw the headlines in one of the hits, "
DeSantis cracking down on travelers from ‘hotspots,’".....
and then
I noticed
the date.......................March 23
sigh

need to adjust settings on my searches.

And that's what's so disheartening about these travel restrictions: they're based on data from back in March...

And that's what's so disheartening about these travel restrictions: they're based on data from back in March...
Yes, I know. Aside from adding, and then later dropping, LA from the list of states with restrictions, his basic wording of the EO hasn't changed since March.

So I have been checking the clickorlando site once in a while since crazymomof4 posted it. Today I ran across this article from 2 days ago:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/f...yor-asks-governor-for-statewide-mask-mandate/
The surprising part of it was this bullet point from the south FL mayors:

- More help enforcing the travel ban that requires travelers from the Tri-State area to self-isolate for two weeks upon arrival in Florida.

So even the mayors (who I'm sure are of different parties) think it's important to stop travelers from one of the safest areas in the country and they don't care about those coming from hotspots. I am so confused by FL's politicians. Hopefully the news outlets will keep pressing the question.
The more I think about the more I realize DeSantis is doing us a favor in NY/NJ/CT.
The fewer people that travel to FL the lower the chance of someone being exposed. I say keep your border closed to the tri-state area until you have things under control.

The more I think about the more I realize DeSantis is doing us a favor in NY/NJ/CT.
The fewer people that travel to FL the lower the chance of someone being exposed. I say keep your border closed to the tri-state area until you have things under control.

I partially agree. But the fact he is not imposing the quarantine on the current hotspots - numbers which are skyrocketing in several states that are not the tri states - well that defeats the purpose of lowering the chance of someone being exposed. To me I think it's going to be a vicious cycle down there in FL until they get a handle on this travel situation. He keeps letting those with the higher chance of carrying covid into his state without having to quarantine then the chance of more Floridians catching it goes up.

I partially agree. But the fact he is not imposing the quarantine on the current hotspots - numbers which are skyrocketing in several states that are not the tri states - well that defeats the purpose of lowering the chance of someone being exposed. To me I think it's going to be a vicious cycle down there in FL until they get a handle on this travel situation. He keeps letting those with the higher chance of carrying covid into his state without having to quarantine then the chance of more Floridians catching it goes up.

I hate to say it because we are very much looking forward to our Sept trip, but people are clearly finding ways around the "mandatory quarantine" and will continue to do so regardless of whether their state is on the list or not - the quickest way to get people to stop traveling to FL is to make it unappealing by shutting down all the fun stuff, not just theme parks (which are arguably less risky right now) but also the night clubs and tourist spots in Miami Beach and elsewhere. Now, that'll never happen because DeSantis and co. have made clear the almighty dollar is more important, and the people going out and partying without masks on have made it clear that as long as that's an option they will risk their lives to do so. But it's a less appealing prospect to spend thousands of dollars travelling if there's nothing to do once you get there.

All night clubs in the South Florida tri-county area, including Miami Beach, have been closed for months.

I was responding specifically to this article I read, I may have misspoken by saying night clubs but parties and gatherings with tourists are obviously still happening: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...florida-even-covid-19-cases-surge/5449754002/
Right. All night clubs and bars are closed, but some restaurants have sidewalk cafes along Ocean Drive in South Beach. Locals don't go to Ocean Drive much even when we go to South Beach, but it's a hot tourist spot.

Tourists (and probably some locals) have been renting AirBnB's and having house parties, so Miami Beach and several other cities have shut down all short-term rentals.

One little bit of local intel -- any time you hear City of Miami Beach politicians talking about public safety issues, they are speaking in code and there is a racial component to it. They are all woke and progressive as long as the people visiting look like them. But the minute they don't, the city's whole attitude changes.

Their political gymnastics during tourist season are like watching a traffic light on crack. Art Basel -- good! Rollin' Loud -- BAD. Boat shows -- good! Certain Spring Break weeks -- BAD. Miami Open Tennis Tournament -- good! KayaFest -- BAD. Ultra -- good! Urban Beach Week -- BAD.

They're the biggest bunch of hypocrites in Florida, and they are completely out of touch with the incredible diversity of cultures that makes Greater Miami such a great place.

Right. All night clubs and bars are closed, but some restaurants have sidewalk cafes along Ocean Drive in South Beach. Locals don't go to Ocean Drive much even when we go to South Beach, but it's a hot tourist spot.

Tourists (and probably some locals) have been renting AirBnB's and having house parties, so Miami Beach and several other cities have shut down all short-term rentals.

One little bit of local intel -- any time you hear City of Miami Beach politicians talking about public safety issues, they are speaking in code and there is a racial component to it. They are all woke and progressive as long as the people visiting look like them. But the minute they don't, the city's whole attitude changes.

Their political gymnastics during tourist season are like watching a traffic light on crack. Art Basel -- good! Rollin' Loud -- BAD. Boat shows -- good! Certain Spring Break weeks -- BAD. Miami Open Tennis Tournament -- good! KayaFest -- BAD. Ultra -- good! Urban Beach Week -- BAD.

They're the biggest bunch of hypocrites in Florida, and they are completely out of touch with the incredible diversity of cultures that makes Greater Miami such a great place.

I didn't realize you were a local, I appreciate your perspective! I'm so sorry that non-locals (i.e. tourists) are acting irresponsibly in your neighborhood and making things worse than they need to be. For what it's worth, one of the people quoted in that article says she's from Brooklyn and as a native NYer I am horrified and could not believe that after everything we went through here in the Spring that someone would think/behave so cavalierly. It's just mind-blowing how selfishly and nonchalantly people are behaving. Taking precautions to enjoy a modified experience someplace is one thing - completely ignoring a global pandemic and acting like everything's fine is something else. Madness.

Has anyone called the Florida Health line recently? Are they still saying changes are going to be made?
I emailed and questioned the definition of “tristate area”. I received this response and honestly I don’t know if they can add words after the fact. See how they added in “for the purpose of this order”. Is that even legal? They know the legal definition is a specific area and not the entire state, that’s what I argued. I wish I knew a lawyer,.lol.

I emailed and questioned the definition of “tristate area”. I received this response and honestly I don’t know if they can add words after the fact. See how they added in “for the purpose of this order”. Is that even legal? They know the legal definition is a specific area and not the entire state, that’s what I argued. I wish I knew a lawyer,.lol.

View attachment 511188
So they've now added the wording of the entire state and saying you don't have to quarantine if you live in one of those states, but fly from another. Really this whole thing is crazy and weird. I really don't understand why other states haven't been added and us removed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter