Breonna Taylor Grand Jury report

What twits post on Twitter is not eyewitness testimony.

Independent civilian witnesses -- who were on the scene during the incident -- confirmed that the officers announced their presence properly.It would not matter legally, but it matters in the "court of public opinion."

But the fact is, the warrant was NOT executed as a no-knock. The officers DID knock, and did yell "Police" several times.
My source is not twitter but thanks for jumping to conclusions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/30/us/breonna-taylor-police-killing.html
While the department had gotten court approval for a “no-knock” entry to search for evidence of drugs or cash from drug trafficking, the orders were changed before the raid to “knock and announce,” meaning that the police had to identify themselves.

The officers have said that they did; Mr. Walker says he did not hear anything. In interviews with nearly a dozen neighbors, only one person said he heard the officers shout “Police!” a single time.

One other thing to remember is that todays grand jury report only affects the State of Kentucky criminal proceedings. The FBI is conducting a parallel civil rights investigation, and that investigation has not yet been concluded.

Why weren't the police wearing body cams?
They were apparently plainclothes detectives, so they probably hadn't been issued body cams. Not every department uses cams because of the expense -- they cost about $5,000 per camera per year.

One other thing to remember is that todays grand jury report only affects the State of Kentucky criminal proceedings. The FBI is conducting a parallel civil rights investigation, and that investigation has not yet been concluded.
Isn't the FBI looking into whether the warrant was issued appropriately?

I thought the AG said the officers had assumed the warrant was valid.

Peeved? That's laughable
Rioters are thugs doing what thugs do.
Protesters on the other hand, but I know some people don't see a difference between the two. I thought the DIS represented a more intellectual bunch but perhaps I'm wrong.
You are right; “peeved” is just me being polite, intellectually and societally. I could say much more but no need.
The bolded portion of your post doesn’t make sense grammatically but I’ve learned to breakdown your syntax.

Isn't the FBI looking into whether the warrant was issued appropriately?

I thought the AG said the officers had assumed the warrant was valid.
The warrant WAS valid. By that, I mean it was legitimately issued by a judge and carried the weight of law to give police the authority to perform the search.

Now, whether or not the warrant was properly obtained probably would be one of the areas explored by the FBI, but it's hard to guess specifically what they'd be looking at -- other than the real obvious stuff like perjury in the warrant affidavit.

Whenever anyone mentions "civil rights violations" we naturally think of race-related issues.

But more realistic concern is the 4th Amendment issues. Was the search an "unreasonable" search and seizure in violation of the 4th Amendment protections?

For example, if the investigative information that provided the probable cause for the warrant was stale (the target of the investigation was Ms. Taylor's EX-boyfriend), would any resulting search be constitutionally unreasonable? Maybe so. If the affiant on the warrant didn't use due diligence, it could well be an unreasonable search.

That's a newspaper story.

I'm citing the official grand jury report and reports from the Louisville PD crime laboratory, and the FBI main crime laboratory in Quantico, VA, plus the crime scene photos already published by the grand jury today. Much of that is available with a simple search.

I have a lot more confidence in the FBI lab than the NY Times!
The FBI lab and crime scene photos have nothing to do with what we're talking about though.

I have no faith in the Louisville PD considering reports that they lied to get the warrant in the first place and their vested interest in protecting their own.

They were apparently plainclothes detectives, so they probably hadn't been issued body cams. Not every department uses cams because of the expense -- they cost about $5,000 per camera per year.
Why are plain clothed detectives breaching someone's front door at 1am? How would you react if that happened at your house?

So this just popped up on my phone...

View attachment 527798

Well, since I'm already home, no problem....
I heard the press conference (at least I think it was that) on the reasoning that most of the violence throughout the last several months has occurred at night. It's not a signal of what IS going on but rather done ahead of time to try and curb said violence.

Various cities around the nation started early in the day preparing, even my city, for potential protests as well as any potential criminal activity. Largely from the news around 4 or so nothing was going on yet at least.

The FBI lab and crime scene photos have nothing to do with what we're talking about though.
Of course they do. You are basing your opinion on a month old newspaper story.

I am basing my opinion on actual investigative information and physical evidence which is in court records.
I have no faith in the Louisville PD considering reports that they lied to get the warrant in the first place and their vested interest in protecting their own.
"It's been reported..." "People say..." LOL.

If it has been proven that someone lied in a warrant affidavit, that would be very serious and would cast doubt on the investigation that led to the warrant.

Proven. But anybody, with or without any actual knowledge and with whatever motivation, can "report."

But much more important, even if someone did lie to get the warrant, that would have nothing to do with the actual physical evidence from the crime scene verified by the LMPD and the FBI, and others.

Two separate investigations, and totally unrelated issues.
Why are plain clothed detectives breaching someone's front door at 1am? How would you react if that happened at your house?
Aha! NOW you are actually onto something -- although again, it has nothing to do with the physical evidence in the case, nor the legal culpability of the officers involved.

The fact that the officers serving the warrant were not attired in recognizable police uniforms certainly does lend credence to Mr. Walker's claim that he didn't know they were police officers. But it doesn't change key issues like who was standing where, who fired first, etc.

It does give Mr. Walker a believable pass for firing the first shot and shooting the sergeant -- but it doesn't change the fact that the officers were legally serving an order from a judge, were shot at, and returned fire.

If you want to talk about police procedures and the manner in which this raid was conducted, I'm sure there are at least a dozen of us here who could easily pick the procedural issues apart. There are a bunch of procedural issues.

And, unfortunately the riots have started in Louisville and a police officer has been shot. It's gonna be a long night with no good outcome.

And, unfortunately the riots have started in Louisville and a police officer has been shot. It's gonna be a long night with no good outcome.
My local news in their story says "It's not clear if the officer was shot during the protests". Hopefully they are able to do a followup.

My local news in their story says "It's not clear if the officer was shot during the protests". Hopefully they are able to do a followup.
Yeah, lol, I saw that too. It could have been anything, you know... :rolleyes:

I've also seen one Louisville local TV report that two officers were shot, but I think it's too early to sort everything out right now.

It's going to be an ugly evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter