BWV 10/16 Reservation-Received the Dreaded 'Welcome Home' Letter

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us at Disney's BoardWalk Inn and Villas!

Walt Disney once spoke of how his creations would never be complete as long as there is imagination left in the world. It is in this spirit that we embarked on several refurbishment projects across the Resort that will be taking place during your visit. In preparation for your upcoming stay, we wanted to make you aware of the following impacts:

*Upon your arrival, you will see and hear work in progress as we renovate Disney's BoardWalk Villas for your future enjoyment.

*You will also notice Cast Members conducting routine exterior painting and balcony maintenance throughout the Resort.

While we work our magic, there is the possibility of loud noise at times. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know that we are making every effort to ensure your comfort and enjoyment of all we have to offer.

:worried:

Why is it they wait until 50-something days to disclose what I'm sure is planned far earlier? Rhetorical question I'm posing, but it is so frustrating. Member of my party is quite sensitive to fresh paint odors via asthma/allergies; at least it's outdoor painting.

Not sure if it means the balconies will be off limits. If so, will miss that morning cuppa on the balcony. As expected, there is no room checking online @ member site at the inn anywhere else the first week in October @ DVC.

Wondering if anybody has been there for exterior painting/balcony maintenance in past, who can share their experience?

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us at Disney's BoardWalk Inn and Villas!

Walt Disney once spoke of how his creations would never be complete as long as there is imagination left in the world. It is in this spirit that we embarked on several refurbishment projects across the Resort that will be taking place during your visit. In preparation for your upcoming stay, we wanted to make you aware of the following impacts:

*Upon your arrival, you will see and hear work in progress as we renovate Disney's BoardWalk Villas for your future enjoyment.

*You will also notice Cast Members conducting routine exterior painting and balcony maintenance throughout the Resort.

While we work our magic, there is the possibility of loud noise at times. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know that we are making every effort to ensure your comfort and enjoyment of all we have to offer.

:worried:

Why is it they wait until 50-something days to disclose what I'm sure is planned far earlier? Rhetorical question I'm posing, but it is so frustrating. Member of my party is quite sensitive to fresh paint odors via asthma/allergies; at least it's outdoor painting.

Not sure if it means the balconies will be off limits. If so, will miss that morning cuppa on the balcony. As expected, there is no room checking online @ member site at the inn anywhere else the first week in October @ DVC.

Wondering if anybody has been there for exterior painting/balcony maintenance in past, who can share their experience?
I felt the same way when I got the letter yesterday-I called member services to see what all was being done-the "there is a possibility of loud noise at times" is what concerns me and frankly pissed me off. We have a 4 y/o who still needs naps when he has a long day like Disney. We booked our home resort 11 months ago and the construction being done then was long supposed to be finished by this October. Now they seem to be embarking upon another major project? The best part is that the letter tells you to call member services for any concerns/questions but hey have no more information than is already stated in the letter. I was advised we can request a room away from the "majority" of construction by calling he hotel 10 days prior but that since it is not contained to a particular area they can't really promise anything. Thanks Disney what a great to be "welcomed home".
I do get that refurbishment is a necessary evil but I think it is absurd that they have such little regard for guests and DVC members to wait until 2 months before their vacation to let them know they will be forced to endure construction or cancel a long planned vacation (because clearly there aren't other resorts for us to move to this point).

Resort sources previously stated that work was winding down.

Calls to the resort go to a call center so not much help there. Finding someone who really knows the schedule will be a challenge.

:earsboy: Bill

Resort sources previously stated that work was winding down.

Calls to the resort go to a call center so not much help there. Finding someone who really knows the schedule will be a challenge.

I agree that probably won't be much help. I was just posting what I was advised by member services-I thought the work was supposed to be over too but clearly it is either running behind schedule or they have more work scheduled (as the letters are dated July 2016 and are being sent for stays starting in mid Oct). My 2 gripes are the lack of notification and the lack of information available. Sending out letters with vague warnings of loud noises that say call if you have concerns are ridiculous since when you call with concerns they can't actually provide any additional info. To me it's really just a cover your *** move. If stays are terrible they'll say "well we notified you that construction was ongoing" and if that it was a problem you could have cancelled/rescheduled.

We stayed at the poly last year so it's not that I am opposed to having construction at the resort (just made sure we weren't in Tokelau). But loud noises in the room are a problem and we have to rely on the room scheduler to know where the construction crew will be working all week....I'm very skeptical.

Last morning and the construction people are out and about early. Remember my NOT being bothered by construction? Well today is an exception, my girls are in the lounge while I pack because it's so loud with drilling and talking. Hopefully they will take this room out of inventory until they are done, because no one should be woken up thinking people are drilling through the walls. I let the CMs know this morning. I guess I've been hesitant to complain since I asked to be moved when we checked in so we could have connecting rooms. Curious if the awnings on the balcony will be replaced or left off. Sorry to complain all. Honestly this was such a terrific stay, I just have autistic kiddos not liking the noise. Let me get to packing!!!
Found this recent complaint on the resort board for anyone interested. They were on the BWI side in the CL

I agree that probably won't be much help. I was just posting what I was advised by member services-I thought the work was supposed to be over too but clearly it is either running behind schedule or they have more work scheduled (as the letters are dated July 2016 and are being sent for stays starting in mid Oct). My 2 gripes are the lack of notification and the lack of information available. Sending out letters with vague warnings of loud noises that say call if you have concerns are ridiculous since when you call with concerns they can't actually provide any additional info. To me it's really just a cover your *** move. If stays are terrible they'll say "well we notified you that construction was ongoing" and if that it was a problem you could have cancelled/rescheduled.

Suggest you call your DVC Guide. They may be able to tell you more.

I got it too for October 22. Funny thing is I was there last December and didn't get a letter, but then they were not doing work on the boardwalk view side. I hope they are not doing balcony painting in my area. I didn't pay boardwalk view points and not be able to use the balcony.

We got the letter also for Oct. 4 checkin. We are in the only 1 bedroom BW view HA room so no options for us if the noise is too bad. We spend lots more time in our room than most people because of DH's health issues, so keeping our fingers crossed.

Well as least it's good to hear I didn't miss this previously being announced...misery loves company. Lol how self-entitled does that sound to be whining about staying @ BWV during F&W? Yet, I find this last minute notice irritating.

Happy to be spending a portion of our trip @ the BW for easy access to Epcot but as others have stated, thought the announced refurbished would be completed by now. Otherwise, I'd have flipped over elsewhere @ 7 months.

When they are cleaning balconies on ships via the outside, they lock the slider so you cannot access it. However, that's usually just for a half day or so. Same as with bad weather at times on lower balconies. If a full repaint of exterior thinking DVC might put plastic up to protect cement floor/railing or tape off the balconies.:confused3Neither option provides an especially picturesque view.

I wish DVC would be more forthcoming as to exactly what the limitations will entail. They had to know people would call in and inquire after receiving the letter. To not equip the DVC call reps with the info is ridiculous IMO

Suggest you call your DVC Guide. They may be able to tell you more.

Guides are sales people, they have nothing to do with the running of the DVC or the resorts so I wouldn't waste your time calling.

Well as least it's good to hear I didn't miss this previously being announced...misery loves company. Lol how self-entitled does that sound to be whining about staying @ BWV during F&W? Yet, I find this last minute notice irritating.

Happy to be spending a portion of our trip @ the BW for easy access to Epcot but as others have stated, thought the announced refurbished would be completed by now. Otherwise, I'd have flipped over elsewhere @ 7 months.

When they are cleaning balconies on ships via the outside, they lock the slider so you cannot access it. However, that's usually just for a half day or so. Same as with bad weather at times on lower balconies. If a full repaint of exterior thinking DVC might put plastic up to protect cement floor/railing or tape off the balconies.:confused3Neither option provides an especially picturesque view.

I wish DVC would be more forthcoming as to exactly what the limitations will entail. They had to know people would call in and inquire after receiving the letter. To not equip the DVC call reps with the info is ridiculous IMO

I don't think that DVC knows and I don't think that they oversee the work being done. They don't for the other resort rooms and the letters usually come from the resort manager.

While I had been privy to the information because of these boards I didn't receive my letter for a early/mid sept stay until a few days ago! And we have two separate stays (unable to get a studio for our last night so have a one bedroom) and one stay I'm not sure which one still hasn't got the letter. I look at it not much I can do, but it still makes me worried about the view and noise, toddlers need naps! I am just hoping for the best.

I don't think that DVC knows and I don't think that they oversee the work being done. They don't for the other resort rooms and the letters usually come from the resort manager.

I agree that DVC doesn't really know anymore than we do (they seem to basically have the same letter). That's why I found it so frustrating that the letter said to call them to discuss any concerns and gave no other contact numbers. The letter is from the resort manager like you thought but really provides no concrete info and no way to obtain any clarification prior to your arrival short of getting first hand accounts here.

Oh dear I'm sorry about this. Does it give any indication of when the work will be completed?

We were there over Memorial Day weekend and beyond - May 26- June 4, 2016. We were in a Luna park pool view studio on the 4th floor. I received the letter too about 50 days before our check in.

While I was a little annoyed about the letter, I have to say the impact was minimal. We were never told we could not use our balcony. In fact one morning there were guys cleaning balconies right below ours and we could see them (keep the curtains closed when dressing!) but we could still go out on the balcony if we had wanted to.

They were doing painting/cleaning/drilling/whatever nearby. But they were slightly to the right of our room. There were one or two mornings when the noise was a little loud but we were already up and headed out the door for rope drop. So that didn't bother us.

Overall we had a great time and a great view during our stay. I understand the annoyance at getting that letter! I hope that you will get the view you want and that the impact will be at a minimum for your trip. Have a magical time in October - that's a great time to be at the Boardwalk with Food and Wine at Epcot!

Nope the OP posted the pertinent info from the letter we all received (for stays in Oct) and it simply says "through fall 2016" on DVC's website. Since winter doesn't technically start until right before Christmas it's anyone's guess at this point.

We were there over Memorial Day weekend and beyond - May 26- June 4, 2016. We were in a Luna park pool view studio on the 4th floor. I received the letter too about 50 days before our check in.

While I was a little annoyed about the letter, I have to say the impact was minimal. We were never told we could not use our balcony. In fact one morning there were guys cleaning balconies right below ours and we could see them (keep the curtains closed when dressing!) but we could still go out on the balcony if we had wanted to.

They were doing painting/cleaning/drilling/whatever nearby. But they were slightly to the right of our room. There were one or two mornings when the noise was a little loud but we were already up and headed out the door for rope drop. So that didn't bother us.

Overall we had a great time and a great view during our stay. I understand the annoyance at getting that letter! I hope that you will get the view you want and that the impact will be at a minimum for your trip. Have a magical time in October - that's a great time to be at the Boardwalk with Food and Wine at Epcot!
Thanks for your report-honestly the only part that concerns me is the drilling/loud noise-I can deal with the painting and seeing the workers :)

I agree that DVC doesn't really know anymore than we do (they seem to basically have the same letter). That's why I found it so frustrating that the letter said to call them to discuss any concerns and gave no other contact numbers. The letter is from the resort manager like you thought but really provides no concrete info and no way to obtain any clarification prior to your arrival short of getting first hand accounts here.

A waste of resources, only makes wait times longer for those needing to talk to MS.

Oh dear I'm sorry about this. Does it give any indication of when the work will be completed?

Nope as stated fall thru 2016 is rather broad time period.

Thanks for words of encouragement! I've been trying to take the high road lately but can't resist:

It's Food & Wine, an adults-only trip :teeth:, the drinks will flow -
So sad, too bad, our plans to sleep in are a big no-go:duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter