Choosing to be Child Free. What are your reasons/changed minds?

For those of you who have chosen to be CF, have any of you outgrown Disney? DH and I have been going for years without kids without any problem, but have any of you become sick of it or lost interest without going with children?
:confused3 I don't think the two really have anything to do with one another. We have 1 child, now grown, that we took to Disney a number of times. His first time (at age 7) was my first time too (at age 37 :goodvibes ) and I was more excited than he was! DH and I have also gone several times on our own and I've gone without either of them. Honestly though, I'm pretty much over it. We spent a day at DLP last year because I couldn't imagine being that close and not going - it just didn't seem right; KWIM? But looking back on having wasted one of the precious few days of our once-in-a-lifetime trip to Paris doing that - I'm truly appalled at myself. We're headed to SoCal for a week on Wednesday and I really don't have the slightest desire to go to DLR. :sad2:

I have never wanted children. DH has. I was just wondering fellow CF people, what are your reasons? I think I'm too selfish.
But i have several people who chose to be CF until late 30s and changed their minds, so wondering if you did want the CF life, but changed your mind, why did you?
I am disabled so cannot. I do not think a person on disability pension should have kids. So that is my rational for not having kids.

I have never wanted children. DH has. I was just wondering fellow CF people, what are your reasons? I think I'm too selfish.
But i have several people who chose to be CF until late 30s and changed their minds, so wondering if you did want the CF life, but changed your mind, why did you?
I've been meaning to respond to this thread.

I can't say I ever really dreamed about being a mother. If I did, I don't remember much about it. I think what I was mainly focused on was completing my education. (Which my mother implored me to do, since she hadn't, and her life was rough as a result.) After that, what I mostly wanted was someone who really cared about me. And I was fortunate to have found that person before I even completed my education. Life was good. We had dogs, two incomes, got to do what we wanted, when we wanted, without a lot of complications. In some ways, we could see that continuing on.

But in the back of my mind, somewhere, and down the road, I saw myself with a child. Specifically, a daughter, and probably just one. The thought of pregnancy wasn't something I was relishing, at all, though, so I avoided it for a long time. DH could've gone either way. So life went on and it remained a "maybe some day". Many years went by. We were around a lot of kids as friends and family were having them, and frankly, sometimes it scared us! Kids seemed bratty, and it looked absolutely exhausting, lol. Dogs were a lot easier, and we loved them.

Then some of the people we were closest to either became pregnant, or were trying. We sort of thought, half reluctantly, that maybe it was time for us to jump in, too, so we did. (Yikes, this is the part that gets painful, still.) Just about everyone we knew became pregnant and/or had children, but we were unable to. That launched us into a journey we hadn't expected: the difficult and uncertain road of infertility. Suffice it to say, it was a hard time. But we were fortunate that eventually we became pregnant, too. With twins. A little later than most of those around us, but hey, we didn't care much. We were blessed with a boy and a girl. :love2:(So I always thought of my little boy as "gravy"!)

Life got crazy for a while, and I remember thinking at one point, "What have we done?" :lmao: , but I often thought of how close we came to not having them, and I thanked God every day for these two blessings we'd been given. (Still do.) So we were glad we finally jumped in, because despite the exhaustion and other difficulties, it's been one of our lives' biggest joys, raising our kids. We still get to have all the other things we had before (with the exception of money:rotfl2:), but if we could go back in time, we wouldn't change anything, as we'd want the two kids we have, and I think that working so hard to get them helped us appreciate them more than we might have had we not gone through all that. Or at least in a different way.

I think if you're on the fence about it, just keep an open mind to the possibility. Ignore others who bug you about it - I really think they probably just want you to experience the joy that they experienced in raising their own families. That's how I think of it anyway. (Don't we do the same thing when we tell people they should try Disney?) Best Wishes to all, whatever you choose!

For those of you who have chosen to be CF, have any of you outgrown Disney? DH and I have been going for years without kids without any problem, but have any of you become sick of it or lost interest without going with children?

Quite the opposite actually. I enjoy just sitting and having a drink while people watching. It's a great back up for when it's crowded and I just don't want to wait on any lines.

I am 43 and am CF by choice. I have known since I was a preteen that I wanted no part of birthing babies. My Mom was a Postpartum then Mother/Baby nurse. I told her early on "I ain't birthing no babies". Like most others she told me I would change my mind when I got older. But I haven't.

I'm so busy with work I enjoy and other activities that I can't imagine when I would have time for children. My husband and I discussed that I was not interested in children before we married. He was more interested than I was but not intent on it. He was also 15years older than me.

We've now been married for 20years and still all good. I've always said if the time comes when I want to have children then I could foster. There are plenty of kids out there that need families that I don't have to birth them to have kids. But we have just not yet been in a position where that was my top priority.

We enjoy doing Disney just the two of us. We have done the Grand Slam on the Disney Cruise Line and completely enjoyed every one of them. We have done the MNSSHP twice and the MVMCP different years. And we are looking forward to our next cruise and our next trip to WDW. These are things I'm not sure we could look forward to with the expense of children.

I also don't think doctors come with this stuff out of thin air. They have probably been asked to do reversals more than a few times so someone can have another child after a loss. Yes it's blunt but sometimes they put out the cold hard facts and sometimes it's not so pretty. The ones that get me are the ones that get offended when the doctor says "you know, you both are in your 20s. You may end up divorced. What if you meet a woman later who wants more kids?" I've seen some people get downright angry at the thought of someone saying they could maybe end up divorced. Hey it happens. He's just throwing out all the "what if's" before he does PERMANENT surgery on you.
They have most likely seen too many "reversals" that didn't work later on when the new spouse wants kids. This could have been prevented if the had waited a few years. DH had the big V but was well in to his 30's at the time. Taking each situation into count, a couple in there late 20's early 30's with multiple kids maybe a good idea to go ahead without the speech, same couple with no kids. I knew a coworker with 5 kids and DR questioned her request for a tubal with #5!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter