Choosing to be Child Free. What are your reasons/changed minds?

In your case OP, then IMO, you are not ready to be a parent. And maybe your feelings will change someday, or maybe not. I don’t think it’s bad that you are being honest with yourself.

For me, there was never a question that I wanted to be a mom. However, I realize that not everyone is suited for parenthood.

Unfortunately, people can be so judgmental about things that are none of their business. IMO, you need to be true to yourself, and shouldn’t be pressured or made to feel guilty about how you choose to live your life.
I know I'm nowhere even remotely close to ready to have kids. It's just funny when people are like, "you would be a wonderful mother."
Um.. NO!

It is just frustrating when they think they know you better than I know myself.

Me & DH came into our marriage and planned on being CF since we were both told we couldn't have kids. We didn't want to adopt or have anything medical done. Surprise 3 years into our marriage. We were told if we wanted a 2nd do it asap. Almost lost the 2nd and due to medical reasons I ended up with a hyster before the age of 30. Kids were on our radar as-in doubt it would happen for us given our medical backgrounds. If it didn't we were fine because we had this discussion way before marriage. Love our kids, no regrets there. I would never see CF as selfish. You just never know if there was something medical going on and it's such a personal decision. People who vocally judge are those who have nothing better to do and they rather pull people down vs. build them up.

I honestly don't care if she has any kids at all and I don't care if I get any grand kids! I am sure they are a joy, but DH and I plan on traveling as much as possible when she is out of the house and it may be "selfish", but I'm not giving up any of my time to babysit grandkids! :rotfl2:

Right there with you. We better get ready, I'm sure someone will call us selfish grandparents. :-)

I've always made this analogy:

If someone told me they didn't want a dog for whatever reason -- they don't like them, they're too expensive, they don't want to deal with their care requirements, they work long hours and don't have enough time to give them a good life, they travel too frequently, they don't want fur on their furniture, or any other reason that someone might have for not wanting a dog or for realizing a dog isn't a good fit for their lifestyle -- the last thing I would do is tell them they should get a dog. What a terrible idea it is to try to persuade someone into becoming responsible for the care of another living being when they have no interest in doing so. Why people do this when it comes to children is beyond me. :confused3

I've always made this analogy:

If someone told me they didn't want a dog for whatever reason -- they don't like them, they're too expensive, they don't want to deal with their care requirements, they work long hours and don't have enough time to give them a good life, they travel too frequently, they don't want fur on their furniture, or any other reason that someone might have for not wanting a dog or for realizing a dog isn't a good fit for their lifestyle -- the last thing I would do is tell them they should get a dog. What a terrible idea it is to try to persuade someone into becoming responsible for the care of another living being when they have no interest in doing so. Why people do this when it comes to children is beyond me. :confused3

This is sort of funny - not completely, as people can be more ugly (if possible) to those that don't want animals for the very reasons you stated, than don't plan for children.

I often tell people that if I want to go to all the trouble of an animal, I'll just foster a child! LOL
Had three, now grown, so no, there's no chance of wanting 'anything' else 'living' in our home!
:D

It is just frustrating when they think they know you better than I know myself.

I get it. I became an “older mom” in my mid-30’s and dealt with lots of unwanted questions for several years. I learned to not let it bother me because I knew many of them sincerely meant well and didn’t realize they were being intrusive.

Why people do this when it comes to children is beyond me. :confused3

I think because in previous generations, with limited means of birth control, it was just the expected natural progression: girl meets boy, falls in love, gets married, has first baby within a couple years, etc. It seems this model is so ingrained in some people’s minds (for some, shaped by their religious beliefs), that they can’t imagine anyone taking a different path.

I think societal pressure to reproduce is especially strong for women. As if you can’t have a happy and fulfilling life without children (not true, of course.) The good news is that the tides are turning, with many people becoming more open-minded and supportive of various kinds of non-traditional families.

I get it. I became an “older mom” in my mid-30’s and dealt with lots of unwanted questions for several years. I learned to not let it bother me because I knew many of them sincerely meant well and didn’t realize they were being intrusive.

I think because in previous generations, with limited means of birth control, it was just the expected natural progression: girl meets boy, falls in love, gets married, has first baby within a couple years, etc. It seems this model is so ingrained in some people’s minds (for some, shaped by their religious beliefs), that they can’t imagine anyone taking a different path.

I think societal pressure to reproduce is especially strong for women. As if you can’t have a happy and fulfilling life without children (not true, of course.) The good news is that the tides are turning, with many people becoming more open-minded and supportive of various kinds of non-traditional families.
I agree with this. I have a friend who told me when they were trying to get pregnant that she was doing it b/c it was the “next step” in their relationship b/c they had been married for x amount of years. Guess what? She’s one of those miserable parents now. She’ll never admit she regrets it, but all she does is complain constantly.

I am 34 and CF. When I was a kid, the only thing I wanted to be was a stay at home Mom. I wanted to be a Room Mother at school and be on the PTA, because these are the things my mom did. When I got married at 26, I said that I would have kids at 30. I wanted a few years to enjoy marriage, but I also didn't want to wait too long and risk complications (someone scared me into thinking it was super dangerous to have kids after 35). The closer I got to 30, the more I hated the idea and then I got divorced at 31. It has become very clear to me that the whole marriage and children thing is just not for me. I love being by myself 80% of the time. I like not worrying about anyone but me and occasionally the cats. There is nothing better than coming home from work and throwing out all intentions of cleaning/cooking/exercising and just laying on the couch for 4 hours :thumbsup2

I highly doubt I will ever regret not having kids, but if I do I am happy to adopt if I can. The hardest part of it all is not being able to share the parent stores that my best friends always share together, but I'm lucky in that my friends really cherish their "adult" time and often look for an excuse to go out with me sans kiddos :)

I never wanted children because I never thought I'd make a good parent. I don't think my parents were good role models and I learned nothing about compassionate parenting from them.

I don't believe that make me selfish.

Everyone that young?! I had my first at 29 (an oops), and I was definitely one of the first out of a large circle of friends to have a baby. It would be very hard to have a child at 24 here, hard to make friends, since most don’t even get married until 30.

I had mine early he was an OOPS:rotfl2:. I was lucky I was 1 of 2 in our circle who had kids early but had a great family & friends support. It would be tough on our own.

I agree b/c I had DS later than all my friends had kids & there seemed to be a downright jealousy that I had more time & $ than they do, but that was their choice.

Back then it was tough, & I was jealous that all my friends could go out on the spur of the moment. I had to make arrangements in advance. Now fast forward - my friend with young teens & a couple single digits are jealous that we can say" Let's go on a cruise & a week later we are. So late or early it will all even out in the end.

:sad2: Equally unacceptable - everybody please just MYOB. DH was 40 with two teenaged daughters when we married. He had always been quite close to his older sister, who had two kids in that same age-range. Although we weren’t trying, we found ourselves expecting 3 months after our wedding. His sister went off the deep-end; tearful rants on more than one occasion about how stupid he was and how he’d “wrecked” the rest of his life. She and her family (her DH and children, and now their spouses who weren’t even on the scene at the time) still to this day make nasty jokes about it to us, our DS included. :mad:

Thank you for this post, very reassuring. You sound like my husband (also a non-spoiled only child).

Pardon my French, but your husband's doctor sounds like an a**hole. :rolleyes2 And how exactly does one "replace" a child??

I have only read 6 pages but all I keep thinking is "Who are these people, what are they thinking and where did they come from?!?!?" I would never comment on someone reproductive choices. I have friends childless by & one who unfortunately nothing worked. I would sooner cut my tongue outo_Oo_Oo_O

Everyone that young?! I had my first at 29 (an oops), and I was definitely one of the first out of a large circle of friends to have a baby. It would be very hard to have a child at 24 here, hard to make friends, since most don’t even get married until 30.
Considering I'm 29 just about 30 without a child puts me as out of the norm for people I know. Most that I knew from growing up in elementary, middle, high school, etc have had a child or multiples by now. Heck a person I know has 5 children and she's a few months older than me. Another has 4 children with the first being born when he was 19. Another just had her 3rd child and she's a few months older than me. As for marriage majority are married but some aren't.

I find in general people are very judgy when it comes to children, not just the decision to have or not have children but also the number of children and if those children you have are yours biologically speaking or if you adopted or even if you were the one to be pregnant (speaking towards surrogacy)

And count me in the camp of I don't think it's selfish to not to want to have kids nor to just have 1 nor to adopt nor to do surrogacy.

DH and I were together for 9 years and married for 5 before we had our first child (he was 35 when she was born, I was almost 29). We had made it known that we were not having children and by the time we finally had our DD, people had finally stopped asking when it was going to happen and were surprised. It was just a natural progression of our life and marriage. It wasn't a great longing by either of us, and I think we would have been happy had we decided to remain childless.

We said we would only have one child, and we meant it...at the time.

When DD1 was 22.5 months, we welcomed DD2. I had to talk DH into that one a little bit, but from the time DD1 was about four months old, I knew that we needed another kid. DH was happy with one, and it took almost a year of convincing to get him to try for another. In the end, it's been hard having two children because "have another one so they'll be best friends and playmates!" is a lie told by other parents to get you to suffer along with them. :P Just kidding. Going from one kid to two kids felt like going from one kid to ten kids. But it's twice as rewarding.

The other day, DD2 fell and hit her ear off the coffee table (she's not quite 2). She is usually very stoic and doesn't feel pain but was crying a good bit. DH held her. I held her. Her sister walked into the room and DD2 goes "Harper, uppy!" and reached out because she wanted DD1 to hold her and comfort her. I thought I would die of love and joy and happiness that between all the fighting over toys and fighting for attention and running around destroying my house, somewhere in there is a love between siblings that I have helped to foster and nourish. Those single moments - that is what makes parenthood and having two children the best thing we have ever done.

I think being child-free is awesome. I was happy that way for almost 30 years. And I would still be happy that way if my kids had never come along. But I truly feel that the love you feel for your child is unlike any other love out in the world. The fact that sometimes I just want to smell my kids means I either love them more than anything else or that I'm mentally unstable. It's a toss-up. :P

Being labeled as "DD1 and DD2's mom" instead of my first name hasn't really been a bother to me, and I don't felt like I have lost my identity with becoming a mother. It helps that I have a full-time job and get to interact with adults on a regular basis. It helps that I still run and have been able to enjoy my hobbies, although on a smaller, not all-encompassing scale. I was able to train for two marathons last year, and that mainly involved running during my lunch break and only missing out on Sunday morning breakfast with the kids. Instead of watching tv, reading, or shopping, I hang with the kids. I don't need more crap to fill my house and daycare times two takes up most of my money, so I don't miss shopping. TV is watched when I run on the treadmill after the kids are in bed. I read less, but not too much less and having a longer commute means more time for audiobooks.

Edit: And I had my tubes tied after my youngest - I was 30 and my doctor never questioned me once about it. I said I wanted it and it was scheduled for a few weeks later.

Last edited:
For those of you who have chosen to be CF, have any of you outgrown Disney? DH and I have been going for years without kids without any problem, but have any of you become sick of it or lost interest without going with children?

I am 34 and CF. When I was a kid, the only thing I wanted to be was a stay at home Mom. I wanted to be a Room Mother at school and be on the PTA, because these are the things my mom did. When I got married at 26, I said that I would have kids at 30. I wan
I highly doubt I will ever regret not having kids, but if I do I am happy to adopt if I can. The hardest part of it all is not being able to share the parent stores that my best friends always share together, but I'm lucky in that my friends really cherish their "adult" time and often look for an excuse to go out with me sans kiddos :)

I never wanted children because I never thought I'd make a good parent. I don't think my parents were good role models and I learned nothing about compassionate parenting from .

I had mine early he was an OOPS:rotfl2:. I was lucky I was 1 of 2 in our circle who had kids early but had a
I have only read 6 pages but all I keep thinking is "Who are these people, what are they thinking and where did they come from?!?!?" I would never comment on someone reproductive choices. I have friends childless by & one who unfortunately nothing worked. I would sooner cut my tongue outo_Oo_Oo_O

I find in general people are very judgy when it comes to children, not just the decision to have or not have children but also the number of children and if those children you have are yours biologically speaking or if you adopted or even if you were the one to be pregnant (speaking.

DH and I were together for 9 years and married for 5 before we had our first child (he was 35 when she was born, I was almost 29). We had made it known that we were not having children and by the time we finally had our DD, people had finally stopped a

For those of you who have chosen to be CF, have any of you outgrown Disney? DH and I have been going for years without kids without any problem, but have any of you become sick of it or lost interest without going with children?
Well I wouldn't say I've chosen to be child-free yet. We just haven't got to the point where we want children now, though time is ticking away.

I come from an infrequent vistor to begin with (about every 6 years). No I haven't outgrown Disney nor do I think I ever will. A misconception with Disney is that you should be going with the kids. Heck no go for yourselves too. You could still do an onsite stay and do it for the resort without going to the parks (there's enough people who have done that on the Boards) but I'm a theme/amusement park person (well I should say I enjoy those) and my husband is as well so we do enjoy Disney in part due to that. I grew up going to Disney and Universal (see my signature) even though multiple of those trips was a park day here a park day there during the time down in that area but my husband did not (he only went 1 time growing up before going with me in 2011) and he still enjoys Disney. For the ride component he enjoys Universal more.

We do plenty of other vacations in between and we're still young enough that we have years left (well hopefully health-wise) of being able to go on rides, etc. We are also a couple who enjoys doing a variety of things. We have only vacationed to the same place twice unless you count long weekends we've done at the Lake though most people don't call that a vacation perse and Disney (though it's with a long break in between). I will say though we're itching to go back to Hawaii.

I turn 35 tomorrow. My fiance is 40. We are getting married in 2 weeks. We are both only children. We talk openly and frequently about children...mostly always leaning towards no. If we did have one, it would only be the one.
However, the past 3 years or so I've become stronger in my desire to not have any kids. Nearly all my friends have kids and I love them- one of them in particular I am very close to and love spending time with her. It's a subject Ive spent a LOT of time on in my head.

Being an only child though, my mom was making a TON of grand-baby comments and so were her sisters. It was incredibly stressful and upsetting to me. I have a chronic health condition that leaves me sick at least 3 days a week and a lot of times I'm unable to even take proper care of my dog (a big reason why I dont want to be pregnant or have kids). The constant comments gave me so much anxiety that I finally had to sit my mom down and have a big talk about how anxious this was making me and that there was a VERY good chance that I would not be having any kids.
I started off by asking her if she knew she always wanted to be a mom and she responded YES! I then explained that I didn't feel that way at all. I have 4 cats and a dog and I love them. I love my fiance and family and friends. I feel content in what I have now.
She was upset by this but the comments stopped. However with our wedding looming I am VERY nervous about everyone else asking.
I have 0 desire to be pregnant and we've spoken about adoption but my fiance wasn't into that which is fine.

Well I wouldn't say I've chosen to be child-free yet. We just haven't got to the point where we want children now, though time is ticking away.

I come from an infrequent vistor to begin with (about every 6 years). No I haven't outgrown Disney nor do I think I ever will. A misconception with Disney is that you should be going with the kids. Heck no go for yourselves too. You could still do an onsite stay and do it for the resort without going to the parks (there's enough people who have done that on the Boards) but I'm a theme/amusement park person (well I should say I enjoy those) and my husband is as well so we do enjoy Disney in part due to that. I grew up going to Disney and Universal (see my signature) even though multiple of those trips was a park day here a park day there during the time down in that area but my husband did not (he only went 1 time growing up before going with me in 2011) and he still enjoys Disney. For the ride component he enjoys Universal more.

We do plenty of other vacations in between and we're still young enough that we have years left (well hopefully health-wise) of being able to go on rides, etc. We are also a couple who enjoys doing a variety of things. We have only vacationed to the same place twice unless you count long weekends we've done at the Lake though most people don't call that a vacation perse and Disney (though it's with a long break in between). I will say though we're itching to go back to Hawaii.
I’m with you on WDW. I do have a child, but sometimes I miss the days that DH & I went just us.

We could only afford to go to Disney a few times when we had kids. Now that they are grown we own multiple DVC resorts, annual passholders, etc. It's been over 10 years and we still love going, including the parks, special events, after hours, tours, tastings with no sign of our losing interest, we also cruise Disney too!

My husband and I love our Disney trips. I started going at 12 and have been every year or two since and until my most recent trip I'd never been with children. This last trip was with my parents, my sister, my brother-in-law, and my 2.5 year old nephew. It was fun being with them but the trip was a lot more stressful than our usual trips, we had two days just the two of us at the end and it felt soooo nice to get back to our usual touring style. We're going to Disneyland in September with (adult) friends and I can't wait to show them around and do all our usual favorites!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter