CONFIRMED! Splash Mountain REFURB: August 28 - November 16, 2017

It is the height of stupidity to start this refurbishment before Labor Day. I will never understand some of the decisions the Disney Company makes.o_O
They are working diligently to get everything a facelift or a renovation by the 50th anniversary celebration in four years.
Therefore they will have to refurb during some high traffic times.

It is the height of stupidity to start this refurbishment before Labor Day. I will never understand some of the decisions the Disney Company makes.o_O

It is not that high traffic time that makes it particularly ridiculous, it is the fact that it is the one ride in all of MK that truly relies on hot weather.

Rides don't operate on temperature. Splash operates year round unless it's in a refurb. Being a water ride it needs more refurbs than other attractions. Disney is planning far in advance right now for their 50th celebration. This refurb was moved up. The late summer to fall time frame this is down is actually the period in which the lowest crowds are seen during the year.

Are you referring to the two days in Jan/Feb when it's actually cold? If so, they'd never get anything done. :duck:
I am in WDW for 2 weeks every January. It is cold far more than it is not. And even when it is warm, it is cold in the morning and at night and the wind blows at a steady 25 MPH. Not wet ride weather.

I'm going to be able to hit this on it's first day reopened assuming they meet the schedule (big if). But the worst part about this for those few months will be the noticeable bump in wait times for the other primary attractions. Splash Mountain was great distributing the crowd across the entire park.

While it may not seem like there is any slow season anymore, WDW considers mid-August to be the end of the Summer peak season, that's why park hours cut way back and offers like Free Dining begin in late August. DL isn't much different. Since we usually go the week before Labor Day, we are used to rides going into maintenance around then. Last year it was Dinosaur and Big Thunder. But eventually everything has to be refurbed and someone's vacation will be inconvenienced.

We are traveling in September - in about 20 some days. We were bummed to find out Splash Mountain is going to be closed - I know every ride needs maintenance- however with all the recent closings, you would have thought WDW would have waited a bit for this ride, especially since this ride closes anyway in the "winter" months. This is very frustrating!!!

We are traveling in September - in about 20 some days. We were bummed to find out Splash Mountain is going to be closed - I know every ride needs maintenance- however with all the recent closings, you would have thought WDW would have waited a bit for this ride, especially since this ride closes anyway in the "winter" months. This is very frustrating!!!
Disney does not like to take major rides down unless they have to. Splash is a major ride based on water. Water makes refurbs happen more frequently. It is unfortunate for those going during this time but people would be upset with it down during the "winter" months as well.

I was bummed about this at first, seeing as how I skipped Splash Mountain the last time I was at MK (2015) - but the more I think about it, the less I'm upset about it. I can't control when Disney decides to refurb things. No use letting this bum me out when I've been looking for this 2017 trip for over a year now!

We were going to miss Splash because our trip was schedules for today :( but now looking at November 4-18 so we will get one day of Splash :)

We were going to miss Splash because our trip was schedules for today :( but now looking at November 4-18 so we will get one day of Splash :)

I hope the refurb is on time. We arrive 11/25 ... and Splash is my favorite. Last Disney trip, Pirates was closed and we were bummed out the whole trip. It will be nice, though, if all the elements are working again ... that ride could use some refreshing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter