coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not going to Disney or canceling other plans because your afraid of getting the virus......., are you also NOT going to work or out to dinner? Are you not going to the grocery store? are you not going to the post office or bank? are you not going to get gas in your cars? etc...........................

I see your point, but there is a very obvious difference when you expose your self to 1000s (or 10s of 1000s) of people over the course of a few days and encountering a dozen people when home. Also, the odds of encountering people from other parts of the world/country is much higher as well. It's also much simpler to do small things and use proper hygiene habits when you're going out once or twice a day (or week). Traveling in airports/planes alone is a different exposure to germs.

We're planning to go in 10 days unless there's a closure, but the difference in our lives here (where I work from home and spouse works in a very small office) and going to WDW is significant in regard to what we're exposed to.

Ok so for all of you people canceling and worried let's look at it this way.................

You are not going to Disney or canceling other plans because your afraid of getting the virus......., are you also NOT going to work or out to dinner? Are you not going to the grocery store? are you not going to the post office or bank? are you not going to get gas in your cars? etc...........................

There is NOW WAY to tell if the person next to you at the grocery store or bank or restaurant etc.... has the virus because they themselves don't know. They are in the same boat as you. They dont know with whom they have been in contact with over the last 2 weeks. REMEMBER IT CAN TAKE 2 WEEKS for symptoms to even start.

If you want to 100% GUARANTEE you will not get the virus the only option you have is to lock yourself in the house for the foreseeable future.

FWIW: I live in Florida and will be at HS Wed for the opening of MMRR. See you there if you will be there.

Going to a grocery store in a suburb is a heck of a lot different than going to an amusement park visited by people from over 100 different countries each year.

Going to a grocery store in a suburb is a heck of a lot different than going to an amusement park visited by people from over 100 different countries each year.

But is it?

Here is the example I have been talking about:

Was just reported on the news here in Florida the 2 people who have the virus are a Woman in her 20s that just returned from Northern Italy, and a man in his 60s who has had NO RECENT TRAVEL AND THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW HE GOT THE VIRUS.

So YES not going to a place with thousands of people greatly reduces your risk 100% no questions asked.

But aside for locking yourself up, there is no guarantee that you will not get the virus just by doing your normal everyday things.

But is it?

Here is the example I have been talking about:

Was just reported on the news here in Florida the 2 people who have the virus are a Woman in her 20s that just returned from Northern Italy, and a man in his 60s who has had NO RECENT TRAVEL AND THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW HE GOT THE VIRUS.

So YES not going to a place with thousands of people greatly reduces your risk 100% no questions asked.

But aside for locking yourself up, there is no guarantee that you will not get the virus just by doing your normal everyday things.

I’m not sure using cases of community transmission from Florida, which is a state with a large number of tourists going through it, is a good example. That’s like looking at community transmission when it hits (and it most likely will hit) NYC and DC. It’s anticipated at this point. It’s not anticipated for those in more rural locations. It really depends on where you live at this point. For me I’m in northern VA and my husband takes the subway into DC for work... he is currently on his 4th cold of the season (I have yet another post nasal drip)... so ya, I won’t be surprised if my family gets it. Now do I think we are going to die, no more so than I think I’ll die from the flu (there is a chance for each, but not a super high chance...). But if I were elderly, had underlying health issues, or lived in a more rural location with limited connection to people who travel... ya that would impact my decision about a Disney vacation. Everyone’s situation is different and as such each unique individual needs to asses the risks themselves and determine what their comfort level is.

I’m not sure using cases of community transmission from Florida, which is a state with a large number of tourists going through it, is a good example. That’s like looking at community transmission when it hits (and it most likely will hit) NYC and DC. It’s anticipated at this point. It’s not anticipated for those in more rural locations. It really depends on where you live at this point. For me I’m in northern VA and my husband takes the subway into DC for work... he is currently on his 4th cold of the season (I have yet another post nasal drip)... so ya, I won’t be surprised if my family gets it. Now do I think we are going to die, no more so than I think I’ll die from the flu (there is a chance for each, but not a super high chance...). But if I were elderly, had underlying health issues, or lived in a more rural location with limited connection to people who travel... ya that would impact my decision about a Disney vacation. Everyone’s situation is different and as such each unique individual needs to asses the risks themselves and determine what their comfort level is.

The man from FL who has the virus is in a "somewhat rural" area of Florida. Closest major city is about 35 miles away. Tampa

Given that the US hasn't had enough tests, and now they think the virus has been circulating for *weeks* in Seattle...I think containment is out of the question. Cat's already out of the bag.

I don't think they'll close the US parks. We're planning on taking our trip later this month unless we literally cannot (either get on plane or parks are closed). We're below the age group with risk and no underlying conditions - I'd think differently if we had any at-risk folks in our traveling party.

Yes. I think most people realize that. There's reducing risk and eliminating risk. Most people that are changing their travel plans or social plans are doing so to *reduce* risk.

People wear seatbelts every day (hopefully) when they also know the only way to avoid being in a traffic accident is to not get into a vehicle.

Given that the US hasn't had enough tests, and now they think the virus has been circulating for *weeks* in Seattle...I think containment is out of the question. Cat's already out of the bag.
now that is scary or unsettling for sure.

one store bottled water was flying off the shelves? Water? do people expect it to spread into the water system?

I think the expectation is, if the number of cases explode there may not be enough non-sick people to run water treatment plants, or in my case, electrical plants - we have a well, and no electricity means no water.

I've done some preparation because it's prudent to do so when your family is depending on you, but that's more to do with the side effects of many people being sick at once more than I'm afraid of being sick. We have a trip planned for mid-May, and we won't cancel unless WDW closes, for now.

Last edited:
If you wouldn't cancel because of flu, don't cancel because of this. Just wash your hands and practice good hygiene. It is overhyped by the media. The data right now reflect a lower death rate than H1N1 had at this stage of development, and the world didn't shut down for that. No one cancelled over MERS or SARS, and those outbreaks were very similar.
Yes!! And the flu has a higher death rate than coronavirus. I'm not worried about 2 people who have coronavirus in FL when 20 people in my state have died of the flu this season. Keep it in perspective.

Posted this on the WDW subreddit but I feel like it would be helpful to post here as well -

IANAD - but going in 11 days and trying to separate truth from media hype.

Put it this way, if you feel like its not worth the risk, you are immune compromised or have health issues that would make getting the virus a serious issue then I would definitely consider moving your trip to a point in the future where we are somewhat in the clear.

Knowing that the virus is in Florida and has signs of community spread does feel a little too close for comfort. Additionally, the virus itself is scary because we don't know that much about it, but what we do know so far is promising in that its not going to have an insane mortality rate and people of good to average health will pull through pretty well if they do manage to catch it.

So these are my thoughts with going in the next few days... be vigilant and prepared. Wash your hands before eating, sanitize after every ride, bring disinfectant towelettes (wet ones, clorox etc) for ride vehicles, tables, really any surface you don't feel comfortable touching. Don't touch your face and if you have to sneeze, cough, etc do it into your elbow or even better a napkin or towel. And most of all.. if you feel sick or begin to feel sick, do not go to the parks!

There's no need to live in fear, just a need to be mindful of your surroundings and others. Again, its up to each individual/family to mitigate and choose their own risks, but no need to fear monger or try and scare the magic out of others vacations!

Have a magical day - and to those who will be braving the parks with me in the next few weeks, to infinity and beyond!

PS: Disneyland is putting handsanitizers in all QS locations, which means Disney World should be following suit in the next few days.

I think once people see stories, posts about people hoarding supplies, others who had no inclination to do so may figure if they don't their family will be left unprepared.

Yes! We have friends who live in Japan and there was a social media story that was false, of course, that said something about possible shortages in toilet paper. This caused people to completely panic and run out to stores and buy all of the paper products. And now there IS a shortage on toilet paper that was caused by people panicking and the government is asking people to stop hoarding it. Just think of how nuts people behave when the forecast calls for an inch of snow. I've seen grocery stores completely cleared out of milk and bread. People will do the same here and I think it will only take one irrational social media story. I am not afraid of the coronavirus, but I am concerned about paranoid Americans doing a bunch of last minute hoarding.

I posted this in another thread, but I have zero concerns about my trip next week. I will be visiting from NYC, and I just don’t see how Disney World could be more dangerous than Manhattan in terms of potential exposure.

What am I supposed to do, never leave the apartment? It’s unrealistic.
This is just far too reasonable! How are we possibly going to keep up the hysteria if people keep talking this way...? :eek:

Yes! We have friends who live in Japan and there was a social media story that was false, of course, that said something about possible shortages in toilet paper. This caused people to completely panic and run out to stores and buy all of the paper products.

Since when did Japan care about toilet paper? They’re usually sitting pretty with their awesome lightup spaceship wonder-toilets with 500 bidet options (ps: America, get on that).

PS: Yeah, if the flu wouldn’t cause you to cancel a trip then this shouldn’t either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter