coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to add this: I went in mid-January with my daughter and I can't tell you how many people weren't covering there sneezes, coughing openly and at one point a teen actually coughed on the back of my elbow. Gross.

You do what you can to mitigate the risks, no matter what they are (bacterial, viral or negligence of others). Some things you just can't control.

I'm going to add this: I went in mid-January with my daughter and I can't tell you how many people weren't covering there sneezes, coughing openly and at one point a teen actually coughed on the back of my elbow. Gross.

You do what you can to mitigate the risks, no matter what they are (bacterial, viral or negligence of others). Some things you just can't control.

People are disgusting. Always been like that.

I'll never forget when I worked at a tennis club a few years ago where we get a lot of snowbirds, I had this only 80 year old who was just getting over bronchitis have his face within 5 feet of me as he was trying to look at the court sheet when I was writing on it, only to straight up cough in my face. Didn't even try to cover it. Felt the air hit me and everything. Thankfully I didn't get sick, but I was sooo mad.

I’ll be honest, if we weren’t on a point rental we would be postponing. There is so much unknown and I think a lot of downplaying of the possible seriousness but that’s for another thread. We have insurance but it’s useless unless Canada advises against travel to the US. Right now I believe the only covid-19 related advisories are China and Iran, so I would be shocked if the US makes it on there before we go.

My kids (and the adults too) will be absolutely devastated if we have to cancel. Not to mention the money lost. It’s the most depressing countdown to Disney we’ve ever had, that’s for sure. I’ve always said I wouldn’t rent points during hurricane season but I can’t lie and say this doesn’t have me rethinking renting them period. We’ll definitely be looking more into cancel anytime type insurance next trip.

I also have a trip coming up in April. However, since I’m an AP traveling solo, I have a room-only reservation and since I’m not that far away (Atlanta) I plan on driving down anyway. Thankfully, this provides me with greater flexibility and for now I’ll hold on any decisions about canceling until I hear further developments about this in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
I am worried about the coronaviris and considering canceling our Late April reservation for the Poly. I caught a two week virus when I went to WDW in January and am just now getting my energy back. This despite washing my hands like a crazy person and avoiding anyone caughing or with cold symptoms. Am really concerned about this. What are you all thinking about?

I can’t speak for anyone else - and certainly getting a 2 week virus from anywhere would give me pause- but I am keeping my April break week at the GF until either the government or Disney tells me otherwise. If we start seeing an explosion in new cases (like they had early in China or recently Italy) then maybe. But beyond that, I figure we will go with hand sanitizer in everyone’s pocket and hope for the best.

Curious though - in the event of park closure, what kind of recovery of money is possible?

I’ll be honest, if we weren’t on a point rental we would be postponing... We’ll definitely be looking more into cancel anytime type insurance next trip.

Depending on how far out your trip is & when you booked, you may still be able to get travel insurance for this trip. We've rented points in the past and have always gotten travel insurance and if I had a trip coming up this year I would get the insurance and play it by ear.

We are all booked at Polynesian in DVC end of April for 2 weeks. This trip has been over a year in the making. Fully paid, all dining reserved we wanted, already pre-paid dining like Royal Table and got all the fast passes we wanted. NOTHING will stop me from going on this dream vacation. I don't care if I have to wear a body suit!!!!

I'll be crushed if they close it :crazy2:

The other parks worldwide I can more easily see this happening but WDW truly is a world in itself!! To close it all down would be an astronomical undertaking and hit.

2020 has been a horrific year globally. It's been one thing after another. It's unbelievable. :guilty:

From what they gather it's an upper respiratory system virus so it can be dangerous for those who are elderly, very young, and have compromised systems already. What turns deadly in the few is the pneumonia developed and not enough breathing tubes to go around for that. That seems to be the case in China so far but they also have poorer lung systems due to the heavy pollution in the air and the overcrowding. Here in the states we have far more area spread out so it'll probably hit major cities but our healthcare should be able to cover it
Yes, those are basic disease principles that (from observational data) apply here. They have knowledge based on observations. I meant they do not understand enough about the infectious disease yet (although they know the genome and I'm sure are learning more about it every minute) the way they have knowledge about others (and have been able to create vaccinations as a result). I'm sure the learning curve of all those studying in the medical community is exponential right now and it won't take "long" to create a vaccination.

I DO NOT think the World is going to close down anytime soon.

French government put a ban on indoor gatherings of 5,000 or more people and Disney said "Disneyland Paris will remain open and business as usual"

and FYI: If you are a healthy person and you do happen to get the virus people have said It is not much worse than having a cold.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/02/28/i-have-coronavirus-so-far-it-isnt-that-bad/

Ehh....I feel like that article was designed to calm people down because if an outbreak really does occur and people, healthy or not, get super sick....they're going to question why that article was even allowed to be published.

Also on a nonWDW related note, I logged onto social media this morning and saw people actually talking about stockpiling supplies like a bunch of conspiracy filled nutjobs.

Also on a nonWDW related note, I logged onto social media this morning and saw people actually talking about stockpiling supplies like a bunch of conspiracy filled nutjobs.
it's happening here in MA; no hand sanitizer and little if any anti bacterial hand soap.
one store bottled water was flying off the shelves? Water? do people expect it to spread into the water system?
I think once people see stories, posts about people hoarding supplies, others who had no inclination to do so may figure if they don't their family will be left unprepared.

it's happening here in MA; no hand sanitizer and little if any anti bacterial hand soap.
one store bottled water was flying off the shelves? Water? do people expect it to spread into the water system?
I think once people see stories, posts about people hoarding supplies, others who had no inclination to do so may figure if they don't their family will be left unprepared.

I think some people expect that they may not be able to go into stores to buy more bottled water in the near future

More people passed through our Kwik Trip in a one hour period today than have tested positive for this virus in the US. Y'all are panicking and I'll bet non of you are prepared to feed your families if people start dropping like flies. So calm down, go get your Starbucks and keep your ADRs. If Disney World closes then civilization will tip over anyway and you will have more to worry about than whether you canceled CRT.

Sorry to be so blunt, I still have masks and hand sanitizer from the last emergency.

Yes, those are basic disease principles that (from observational data) apply here. They have knowledge based on observations. I meant they do not understand enough about the infectious disease yet (although they know the genome and I'm sure are learning more about it every minute) the way they have knowledge about others (and have been able to create vaccinations as a result). I'm sure the learning curve of all those studying in the medical community is exponential right now and it won't take "long" to create a vaccination.
In my opinion, those in this thread should be much less concerned about catching the coronavirus than they should be about getting quarantined for 14 days because you could have been potentially exposed to it.
This for sure

I'm an AP, live in Florida and up until this morning - I was supposed to go to Disney World for a quick trip (3 days). Before today, my Husband and I felt it made sense this weekend to at the very least - prepare. We figured we needed the supplies for the upcoming Hurricane Season anyway. Outside of a few extra cans of lysol, we just moderately stocked up on some canned goods, cases of water, and cleaning supplies. I feel a little better about it. I went to Disney World over Christmas and got a two week virus that had me completely out of comission with a bad cough, fever, sore throat, breathing difficulty. (A kid sneezed directly in my face so I didn't have much of a chance.) :crazy2: This morning, we decided to cancel our March Disney trip when we heard the news of the 2 (as of 1:17pm they are now *confirmed* cases) of Coronavirus. 184 people in Florida are under Public Health Monitoring. There is a Florida Health website for current information for Florida. This was our personal decision and a decision that every person and/or family needs to make for themselves. No need to pass judgement on those that choose to cancel. Everyone can make the right choice for themselves depending on their health (or lack there-of) and their family. As they've already said in the news, cover yourself when you cough/sneeze and for goodness sake - WASH YOUR HANDS FOR over 20 seconds! Take care DisBoards! :) And hopefully this will pass in short order. As Mickey Mouse says: "See ya real soon!"

Update: There are now 3 cases of Coronavirus in Florida and the number of people under Public Health Monitoring in Florida is now 247.

Last edited:
Ok so for all of you people canceling and worried let's look at it this way.................

You are not going to Disney or canceling other plans because your afraid of getting the virus......., are you also NOT going to work or out to dinner? Are you not going to the grocery store? are you not going to the post office or bank? are you not going to get gas in your cars? etc...........................

There is NOW WAY to tell if the person next to you at the grocery store or bank or restaurant etc.... has the virus because they themselves don't know. They are in the same boat as you. They dont know with whom they have been in contact with over the last 2 weeks. REMEMBER IT CAN TAKE 2 WEEKS for symptoms to even start.

If you want to 100% GUARANTEE you will not get the virus the only option you have is to lock yourself in the house for the foreseeable future.

FWIW: I live in Florida and will be at HS Wed for the opening of MMRR. See you there if you will be there.

Ok so for all of you people canceling and worried let's look at it this way.................

You are not going to Disney or canceling other plans because your afraid of getting the virus......., are you also NOT going to work or out to dinner? Are you not going to the grocery store? are you not going to the post office or bank? are you not going to get gas in your cars? etc...........................

There is NOW WAY to tell if the person next to you at the grocery store or bank or restaurant etc.... has the virus because they themselves don't know. They are in the same boat as you. They dont know with whom they have been in contact with over the last 2 weeks. REMEMBER IT CAN TAKE 2 WEEKS for symptoms to even start.

If you want to 100% GUARANTEE you will not get the virus the only option you have is to lock yourself in the house for the foreseeable future.

FWIW: I live in Florida and will be at HS Wed for the opening of MMRR. See you there if you will be there.

My Husband and I are fortunate enough to work from home. We have tons of groceries and supplies. So no, we are not going out to work (we work from home), we are not going out to dinner (we usually don't anyway), we are not going to the grocery store (we already stocked up), not going to the post office or bank (mobile banking), We are possibly over-reacting. *possibly*. To each their own of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter