Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that this is a false positive triggered by a different coronavirus present in felines.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00984-8
Unfortunately, cats really can get Covid19. However, it appears that the transmission rate between cats is low. I'm sure Disney, and zoos across the world, are staying abreast of all this research, and will begin taking every precaution with potentially susceptible species.

Going to make a prediction: all guests who stay on Disney property once it re-opens will be provided with free masks (and maybe the opportunity to pick from different designs for a premium, like with magic bands). Nearby hotels would be smart to do the same.

They are definitely involved as part of the process. Which is why even more of the indicators point to July or August

That, to me, pushes it into that time frame as well. Litigation is just waiting around the corner for those public companies that aren't ultra conservative.

1) If someone goes to WDW they are going voluntarily and they know the risks.

Depends on how Disney handles the reopening. If they act like everything is fine and back to normal without expressing any caution, a lawyer will argue the guest relied on Disney's presentation that everything is fine. I'm not saying it's a winning argument, just what they might go with.

2) How do you definitively prove the person caught Coronavirus at WDW?

That wouldn't stop a lawyer from suing. They would be relying on Disney not wanting the bad PR of the appearance they are responsible, look at the attorney(s) suing RCCL for the tragic death of that little girl. Disney would have to fight it tooth and nail to prevent an unfavorable verdict that exposes them to further suits. Again, not saying a plaintiff would win but that nothing stops them from trying.

People have been cooped up too long... too much tv, too steady a diet of news, news, news... too much time to think & dwell. Too many hours online pouring over the trends & articles. No judgement here, I’ve often been known to do exactly these things. Truth is after 3 weeks on lock down I need to figure out a better existence. I want a bit of control in a situation that has imposed itself on me.

Time to create a new routine, one that limits the amount of constant grim & often scary news.
So.. maybe a long drive, pick up a coffee or some ice cream from a drive thru & enjoy it! Take a walk.. but practice social distancing, do things within the constraints that help life feel a bit more normal. Surviving this, sanity intact means adapting.

Happy Sunday folks!
And a Happy Monday! :)
I've started taking my daily walks again, but keeping distance.
We're thinking about taking a picnic in the car next weekend. We're thinking about driving to one of our favorite restaurants (there is one about 2 hours away I'd love to go to, nice weekend drive), get take out and bring our picnic basket with plates and utensils. Depending on where we're allowed to go of course (Virginia residents), still have to look into that.

I am still canceling our May trip apart in stages, first our extra add on night, then flights, then ADRs and FPs. Last thing to do is call Disney to see about our primary reservation, but there is still some time to reschedule depending upon what Disney's operating hours look like in the next few weeks.

I just don’t see litigation:

1) If someone goes to WDW they are going voluntarily and they know the risks.

2) How do you definitively prove the person caught Coronavirus at WDW?

If #1 was 100% correct, why do we consistently see litigation again TWDC from guests? Whether most win/lose/settle is not my point.

Regarding #2, how can you prove the person did not catch CVID-19 at WDW? That's teeth for a lawyer in my mind.

If #1 was 100% correct, why do we consistently see litigation again TWDC from guests? Whether most win/lose/settle is not my point.

Regarding #2, how can you prove the person did not catch CVID-19 at WDW? That's teeth for a lawyer in my mind.

While I respect there are tons of lawsuits that are filed just hoping for a settlement, the lawyers know Disney is not going to settle out on a covid lawsuit without concrete proof they caused it. If they settle a single one of those, it snowballs into a class action lawsuit with everyone who visited the park. They'd be on the hook for everything from deaths, to hospital stays to mental anguish from those who didn't get sick, but are afraid they did. Disney would bury any lawyer who tried a covid lawsuit in mountains of paperwork. The burden would be on that lawyer to prove their client didn't interact with anyone or anything but Disney. Not going to happen.

While I respect there are tons of lawsuits that are filed just hoping for a settlement, the lawyers know Disney is not going to settle out on a covid lawsuit without concrete proof they caused it. If they settle a single one of those, it snowballs into a class action lawsuit with everyone who visited the park. They'd be on the hook for everything from deaths, to hospital stays to mental anguish from those who didn't get sick, but are afraid they did. Disney would bury any lawyer who tried a covid lawsuit in mountains of paperwork. The burden would be on that lawyer to prove their client didn't interact with anyone or anything but Disney. Not going to happen.

Hence the reason why I think they are investigating what precautions they need to take to maximize themselves against potential litigation(s) and could be the driver to a reopening date.

OK let me clarify. I don’t see there being enough of a threat of litigation for Disney to base their decision on when to re-open on it.
Disney certainly wouldn’t have to prove that the person didn’t catch COVID-19 at WDW.

I still believe WDW will open May 19th. That gives them 12 days before June 1st to get things going. They may only open the parks to resort guest and local AP holders so it won't be crowded. I believe Disney Springs will be fully open as locals will keep the restaurants and shops busy plus a lot of the places at Disney Springs are not Disney owned. By opening on May 19th it will let them slowly restock everything, hire cast members etc. but still generate some revenue. I don't see them opening the parks in stages. It will be all or nothing but they may only open some rides partially like one side of Space Mountain, one side of Pirates, run less boats on Jungle Cruise , only one theatre for Soarin" and Flight of Passage, one or 2 parts of TSMM etc. I also see no add on events, no Fantasmic and possibly only a short firework show but no stage shows at MK.

What do you think of the chances they may do health checks for awhile when they re-open? I've read some speculation that they may do something like that where check to see if people have a fever before being admitted in.

Now obviously this isn't foul-proof since apparently a good number of people that are positive are asymptomatic (especially children). But it could at least keep out the people who are obviously sick and still trying to get in.

What do you think of the chances they may do health checks for awhile when they re-open? I've read some speculation that they may do something like that where check to see if people have a fever before being admitted in.

Now obviously this isn't foul-proof since apparently a good number of people that are positive are asymptomatic (especially children). But it could at least keep out the people who are obviously sick and still trying to get in.
I think that's a good possibility. And it would be smart.

I still believe WDW will open May 19th. That gives them 12 days before June 1st to get things going. They may only open the parks to resort guest and local AP holders so it won't be crowded. I believe Disney Springs will be fully open as locals will keep the restaurants and shops busy plus a lot of the places at Disney Springs are not Disney owned. By opening on May 19th it will let them slowly restock everything, hire cast members etc. but still generate some revenue. I don't see them opening the parks in stages. It will be all or nothing but they may only open some rides partially like one side of Space Mountain, one side of Pirates, run less boats on Jungle Cruise , only one theatre for Soarin" and Flight of Passage, one or 2 parts of TSMM etc. I also see no add on events, no Fantasmic and possibly only a short firework show but no stage shows at MK.

Well, I think the resorts and Disney Springs will re-open first. Those are things where you can more easily implement social distancing measures. They can limit the number of people in stores and limit the direction of traffic. They can also be logistically opened faster than the parks. The parks may lag behind that. I think there would have to be restrictions on capacities for restaurants, transportation, and attractions. I think attractions will reopen in phases. Shows I think will be closed for quite some time.

But whenever Disney closes and reopens, it's usually a ghost town for a few weeks. And I think that will definitely be the case here. The economy being shut down put people out of work. Everyone's plans are messed up. Flights were cancelled and airlines are a mess. And you'll have people who are scared of the virus for quite some time. So I dont think you'll see big crowds for awhile anyway. Some may think that's a good time to go. But keep in mind a lot of things will still be shut down for awhile and you'll be paying the same ticket price.

Regarding the suspension of the College/Intern Program for those who were scheduled to arrive in June: I am thinking that two major factors in that decision are (1) they would want to reactivate all the furloughed employees first and rehire locals, etc. before bringing in college kids from around the country, and (2) the housing arrangements for those in the DCP being such close quarters and possibly igniting a flare-up (as has been mentioned earlier). I would think the program facilitators would want as normal a WDW as possible to bring DCP participants into, rather than a soon-to-open or just-recently-reopened scenario. Just some thoughts....

Regarding the suspension of the College/Intern Program for those who were scheduled to arrive in June: I am thinking that two major factors in that decision are (1) they would want to reactivate all the furloughed employees first and rehire locals, etc. before bringing in college kids from around the country, and (2) the housing arrangements for those in the DCP being such close quarters and possibly igniting a flare-up (as has been mentioned earlier). I would think the program facilitators would want as normal a WDW as possible to bring DCP participants into, rather than a soon-to-open or just-recently-reopened scenario. Just some thoughts....

Yeah I wouldnt read a while lot into that college program decision. I would say it's expected. Many colleges have cleared out their dorms and students have gone back home. Like I said in another post, transportation is going to be messy for awhile anyway even when the country reopens. It's just going to be too hard to get that program going on June 1. And yes I agree that I don't think interns are the type of staff Disney will utilize to re-start operations. There is going to be a process here to restart and employees will be brought back in phases as it ramps up. Interns and performers are going to be the last people brought back on.

Reactions: KSL

Highly unlikely. Where would they do them, at the park gates only? Or also at the resorts? Or also at every restaurant in Disney Springs, etc.? There are too many entrance points into Disney World to make it practical.

In addition, "health checks" (I'm assuming you mean temperature checks, and not refusing entry to every family whose 5 year-old coughed) would only be Covid prevention theater, because a large percentage of cases are completely asymptomatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter