Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The past several years, it was actually getting to be just as busy in Sept/Oct as it was in late July/Aug because the food and wine drew huge crowds. So, it is really hard to tell the actual reason for this years September crowds. Food and Wine not being nearly the same would make you think that isn't it, pent up demand might be it, and maybe it is those of us that went during this time and enjoyed the weather seem to make it down there in the fall now all the time anyway.
And whatever the reason for the crowds, I’m glad WDW is responding with slowly brining back offerings and (especially) extending weekend hours.

Yeaaahhh...I'll take my chances on a 2.5 hr flight vs driving from Chicago!

I'm not worried about flying. I've done my research and we are comfortable with it. I think we will wear masks even if not required anymore, but that's it.
We flew to Orlando in August. Haven't died yet... :P
My take is to take the precautions you can and live your life. You can't get the time back.

I keep waffling on the fly/drive issue for our Dec trip, but it looks like our return date (12/19, Saturday before Christmas lol whoops) is going to be absurdly expensive, so that kinda seals the deal :P And my best friend recently moved to Georgia, so it's an excuse to visit her on the way down and back.

Also can get more souvenirs >_> <_<

Well, the kids go back to school next week, and it will go back to being slow.
Oh, wait, this is September not August. 😉
Interesting to see the demand truly returning. Obviously they have a long way to go to get to the before-times, but reports like this in late September seem to indicate that maybe Chapek was right overall and there is decent pent up demand. The mid-July spike just scared a whole lot of people off (and probably rightfully so).
I don't know if it really is pent up demand. Maybe for locals and AP holders. Resort are still aren't full and they only reason the resort bucket is full is they have taken many their spots and given it to AP holders and CM's. While it's good that people are returning, I think the reason for higher attendance right now is no one is blacked out right now and CM's are allowed back in the parks. There is a reason it's busy on weekends and not so much weekdays.

I'm just here to complain that I signed onto MDE 15 min past 6amEST to make my Thanksgiving ADR....and the one place I wanted (Whispering Canyon) was already booked up fully.

Backup reservations made at Olivia's and Homecomin....I'm going to continue checking for Whispering Canyon...but

we shall see. I'm sure I'll see some cancelations if people decide to change their plans etc -

or maybe they'll announce some special thanksgiving menu's or other restaurants opening and things will shift - who knows.

I am going next week with my daugther for her birthday. (It is a surprise trip! She is going to lose it!!) Anyway, we are VERY cautious with COVID and while we have eaten outside a good bit, we have only eaten inside a few times, and only when we have double checked precautions. (masking, good distancing). I have made ADR's for the trip, but was wondering how receptive they are to requests for a different table (more distanced) or if we don't feel good about the set up and want to leave, will we be charged? Based on everything I have read, it should be fine, but wanted to double check. Also, are they ok with me spraying down the table etc before we sit? (I have lysol)

I don't know if it really is pent up demand. Maybe for locals and AP holders. Resort are still aren't full and they only reason the resort bucket is full is they have taken many their spots and given it to AP holders and CM's. While it's good that people are returning, I think the reason for higher attendance right now is no one is blacked out right now and CM's are allowed back in the parks. There is a reason it's busy on weekends and not so much weekdays.
Oh, I don’t disagree that there is real pain going on, and I even stated above that they (WDW) has a long way to go to really recover. Increases in crowds are also because the parks are open for 12hrs a day 7 days a week. But I did read somewhere that the resorts that ARE open are operating at about 60% occupancy. Of course, off site hotels are probably operating much less than that. So, as people (hopefully) continue to return, the resorts that are at least slated to open should be able to on time at those occupancy rates. AoA at a minimum, as I’ve seen multiple reports of the POP main pool closing to capacity indicating a demand for value resorts (at least one more as scheduled).
It may not be their preferred “bucket” of people, but there are a lot of somebodies driving demand. So, Disney gets to continue to learn how to operate with crowds in this new situation. And I guess it depends on how far away we define locals, because all of FL, and many parts of the southeast are within reasonable driving distance for a long weekend. Not being there to see the license plates, it wouldn’t surprise me to see plenty from AL and GA from Thursday through Monday.

I think the parks getting more crowded is a two fold issue. Word has gotten out that it’s less crowded right now, so more people are coming. Plus, there are plenty of Floridians, like us, who don’t go to the parks from June-August because it’s just too hot. Now that fall has rolled around we’re going quite often now through February. So there probably are a good number of APs and locals that just haven’t been going until now. And, I have to say, it’s still extremely rough walking around the parks in this heat with a mask on.

We were at AK this morning, mainly just to wander. Saw 2 boat cavalcades (Pocohantas and Mickey/Minnie). The line for FoP stretched all the way down the Boardwalk back entrance to Pandora almost to Lion King (But it was only a 50 minute posted wait...we didn’t wait). Went in a few stores. Just soaked in the ambiance. It definitely was much less crowded than a normal year at this time. Walkways were quite clear. Stores were empty. Back at OKW now relaxing out the heat of the day. But having a wonderful time. And this is coming from people who both worked from home pre-COVID and continued to do so during the pandemic. We really haven’t been out of the house since March, get all our groceries delivered, cook at home every night. We just recently (within the past 2 weeks starting venturing to some stores like At Home that we knew would be pretty empty during the day). And we feel completely comfortable at Disney. Takes a little to get used to having so many people around, but the social distancing is respected by most. Mask compliance is great. And the CMs are amazing.

Last edited:
Received confirmation emails for our December split stay. I wasn't aware WDW was still doing them. Looks like they're asking people to confirm by a month out from arrival. Language:
Please confirm your vacation plans below:
  • I’m still planning on coming
    • If you have a reservation at a Disney Resort hotel that won’t be open during your travel dates, we can help modify your Disney Resort hotel assignment. Click here for the current listing of Disney Resort hotels that are open.
    • Once selecting to confirm, we will validate your selection and provide next steps.
    • Disney Vacation Club Members who booked a Disney Vacation Club Resort will be confirmed after making this selection.
  • I’m planning on modifying my reservation
    • If you have a reservation at a Disney Resort hotel that won’t be open during your travel dates, we can help modify your Disney Resort hotel reservation. And if you have a room and theme park ticket package, we can help modify that, too.
    • After choosing this option, we will validate your selection then provide next steps.
  • I’m planning on cancelling my reservation
    • Please note, additional action will be required to cancel your reservation online.
    • After choosing this option we will validate your selection then provide next steps.

I'm just here to complain that I signed onto MDE 15 min past 6amEST to make my Thanksgiving ADR....and the one place I wanted (Whispering Canyon) was already booked up fully.

Backup reservations made at Olivia's and Homecomin....I'm going to continue checking for Whispering Canyon...but

we shall see. I'm sure I'll see some cancelations if people decide to change their plans etc -

or maybe they'll announce some special thanksgiving menu's or other restaurants opening and things will shift - who knows.
Do you mind if I ask what is your check in date? we check in on Tuesday, Nov 24 and it's not letting me book dining rezzies yet. I am thinking it will open up for us tomorrow but just want to be sure. TIA

I am going next week with my daugther for her birthday. (It is a surprise trip! She is going to lose it!!) Anyway, we are VERY cautious with COVID and while we have eaten outside a good bit, we have only eaten inside a few times, and only when we have double checked precautions. (masking, good distancing). I have made ADR's for the trip, but was wondering how receptive they are to requests for a different table (more distanced) or if we don't feel good about the set up and want to leave, will we be charged? Based on everything I have read, it should be fine, but wanted to double check. Also, are they ok with me spraying down the table etc before we sit? (I have lysol)

I'm not sure about that but we're just back and I can tell you that as soon as a party leaves a table the staff is there to wipe the table and chairs down with disinfectant. I saw lots of people just walking around cleaning things.

Does anyone know if Disney has started sending purchases made in the parks to the resorts yet or is that service still suspended?

The past several years, it was actually getting to be just as busy in Sept/Oct as it was in late July/Aug because the food and wine drew huge crowds. So, it is really hard to tell the actual reason for this years September crowds. Food and Wine not being nearly the same would make you think that isn't it, pent up demand might be it, and maybe it is those of us that went during this time and enjoyed the weather seem to make it down there in the fall now all the time anyway.

I wouldn't be looking at past years' trends to try to figure out current crowds for quite a while. I'm sure there were plenty of folks with cancelled stays from March through 1st half of July this year that rescheduled through the rest of 2020 and beyond well into 2021. Sure there was a percentage that cancelled since due to a variety of factors, but there really can't be any comparison for a while. It'll be a several years until you can really start looking at the past for trends.

What is this “Disneyland” that you speak of? Is that a new park in WDW that’s coming?

Maybe they are still installing the "ground tasers" there to enforce social distancing. (As far as I know, there has been no denial published by DL that "ground tasers" are not being installed - which I find very telling.) But then they don't have CoA so nothing to see here.

Received confirmation emails for our December split stay. I wasn't aware WDW was still doing them. Looks like they're asking people to confirm by a month out from arrival. Language:
Please confirm your vacation plans below:
  • I’m still planning on coming
    • If you have a reservation at a Disney Resort hotel that won’t be open during your travel dates, we can help modify your Disney Resort hotel assignment. Click here for the current listing of Disney Resort hotels that are open.
    • Once selecting to confirm, we will validate your selection and provide next steps.
    • Disney Vacation Club Members who booked a Disney Vacation Club Resort will be confirmed after making this selection.
  • I’m planning on modifying my reservation
    • If you have a reservation at a Disney Resort hotel that won’t be open during your travel dates, we can help modify your Disney Resort hotel reservation. And if you have a room and theme park ticket package, we can help modify that, too.
    • After choosing this option, we will validate your selection then provide next steps.
  • I’m planning on cancelling my reservation
    • Please note, additional action will be required to cancel your reservation online.
    • After choosing this option we will validate your selection then provide next steps.

Just got the same email for my phantom/placeholder reservation. I am still booked for BWI for December, I'll have to call and push it back. We are planning to return in November or December 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter