Current CM.. Any Questions?

Would you watch a vlog about life as a Disney performer at sea?

• Yes

Votes: 83 86.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yup, I’ve been in the MK CM cafeteria, the Mouseketeria, while princesses in full makeup were there and even then they came across as regal.
Haha! I don’t know if anyone would call me “regal” when I am not onstage.
You also must have heard some stories/seen some things throughout your time?

Haha! I don’t know if anyone would call me “regal” when I am not onstage.
You also must have heard some stories/seen some things throughout your time?
Not really, we only got close to the characters in a crowd control capacity if they were appearing as part of an event.

Last edited:
A number of years ago, we were on the Magic Canada cruise RT NYC. Was a bit of a rough sea so the only ones who showed up for the evening whiskey tasing were me & DH, our two friends plus Cinderella's Friend & her boyfriend who was onboard for that cruise. The six of us had a blast, shared great stories & had lots of great whiskey!
That’s great that you were able to have that experience. I was once on an excursion off the ship and a Mom recognised me as a character performer and told her kids that I was the character. It was really awkward after that because they kept staring at me and saying things about my appearance (obviously when I am not in costume I look very different lol) and then they were trying to figure out if the people I was with were characters too.
Obviously, adults (and many children) know that characters are performers. We will do whatever we can to keep up the magic for you. But we also live on a cruise ship and do spend time in Guest areas during our time off so to be able to find people to relax and have a good time with is awesome!

😂 how could you possibly forget??!!! Haha. I’m not sure what I’ll do after this contract. But if I end up there then I will let you know. Please tell me if there is anything I can do to help make magic for your family
Any chance you'll be on Dream in October?

You are all such good Disney Peeps!
Usually in my day to day life, people bombard me with questions about my role and the parks and the ships when I say I work for Disney. You all seem content with not knowing 😂

I understand the protocol but/and have a LOT of respect for the professionalism and excellence of the show performers . . .
I have found that the lines for the characters are "herded" by CM's who are often either performers (singers, dancers) in the shows or "friends" of characters who aren't meeting guests at that time. My wife and son did some (amateur) musical theatre and we are all appreciative fans. Hoping I am not being too creepy by revealing one of my best DCL "tricks".

Last Fall, I met the British parents of "Peter Pan" on the NYC=>SnJuan repo and they couldn't hide their enthusiasm and kept pointing him out. Also a tall, young man who played a very talented "dashing thief" AND couldn't have been more friendly. On two prior sailings; we were pleased to meet Lisa Carlin; an incredible mezzo who has sung a variety of roles that "She knows Best."

I understand the protocol but/and have a LOT of respect for the professionalism and excellence of the show performers . . .
I have found that the lines for the characters are "herded" by CM's who are often either performers (singers, dancers) in the shows or "friends" of characters who aren't meeting guests at that time. My wife and son did some (amateur) musical theatre and we are all appreciative fans. Hoping I am not being too creepy by revealing one of my best DCL "tricks".

Last Fall, I met the British parents of "Peter Pan" on the NYC=>SnJuan repo and they couldn't hide their enthusiasm and kept pointing him out. Also a tall, young man who played a very talented "dashing thief" AND couldn't have been more friendly. On two prior sailings; we were pleased to meet Lisa Carlin; an incredible mezzo who has sung a variety of roles that "She knows Best."
That’s right, the performers do also do some other things apart from just performing. I have had people come up to me at random times and say things like “you’re “name of character, right?” I understand that adults do in fact know that the characters are performers, but you never know if any little ears are listening to a conversation like that.

Haha! The first time my parents saw me perform as a character I rang them that morning and gave them some instructions of what and what not to do/say. They said that it is hard to not go and tell everyone that their daughter is “name of character” because they were super proud!

Hi! Thanks for starting this thread.

Something I am curious about - what happens when a guest answers “yes” to the survey question about whether they felt pressured to only give the highest ratings.

Also, along this same line, what happens when a guest comments on a specific cast member who was frequently asking for the highest ratings during a sailing.

Thanks for any insights you are able to share.

That’s right, the performers do also do some other things apart from just performing. I have had people come up to me at random times and say things like “you’re “name of character, right?” I understand that adults do in fact know that the characters are performers, but you never know if any little ears are listening to a conversation like that.

Haha! The first time my parents saw me perform as a character I rang them that morning and gave them some instructions of what and what not to do/say. They said that it is hard to not go and tell everyone that their daughter is “name of character” because they were super proud!
I just connected some dots on a recent back to back, about how many other things the WD theatre cast helps out with, I guess I hadn’t thought much about it before. They are helping in so many areas! I also learned my lifeboat captain was friends with a certain Disney Princess!

My next cruise, I hope to figure out who is friends with Goofy in the Golden Mickeys, as I am always amazed at how he can make his entrance running down those theatre stairs in his very large shoes!! I have visuals of a few true Goofy-style missteps in the early rehearsals, but never during a guest performance.

Hi! Thanks for starting this thread.

Something I am curious about - what happens when a guest answers “yes” to the survey question about whether they felt pressured to only give the highest ratings.

Also, along this same line, what happens when a guest comments on a specific cast member who was frequently asking for the highest ratings during a sailing.

Thanks for any insights you are able to share.
I don’t have a lot to do with the dining team, but I’ll see what I can find out for you

I just connected some dots on a recent back to back, about how many other things the WD theatre cast helps out with, I guess I hadn’t thought much about it before. They are helping in so many areas! I also learned my lifeboat captain was friends with a certain Disney Princess!

My next cruise, I hope to figure out who is friends with Goofy in the Golden Mickeys, as I am always amazed at how he can make his entrance running down those theatre stairs in his very large shoes!! I have visuals of a few true Goofy-style missteps in the early rehearsals, but never during a guest performance.
Yes, the Cast does a lot more than just perform!
It takes a lot of practice!! I have seen many falls during rehearsals and one during an actual show

What possessed you to want to be a Disney CM? Were your current roles what you initially wanted? And is working for the Disney company what you thought it would be?

Btw, are you British or Canadian?

What possessed you to want to be a Disney CM? Were your current roles what you initially wanted? And is working for the Disney company what you thought it would be?

Btw, are you British or Canadian?
Ever since I was a kid I wanted to work for Disney. Yes, being a performer, especially a character performer is so much fun. I am grateful that I have been able to do this in the parks and on the ships. I can’t imagine working anywhere but Disney, but I do know that I can’t be in my current role forever.
No…? Lol

Okay 2 questions.

1. How hot are the full costumes? I saw Minnie in her pirate costume outside one day and it seemed very hot on the deck. Do they get lots of breaks?
2. Are you allowed to go to the different bars around the ship if you're on break and if so, which one is your favorite? (Any ship).

Thanks for answering our questions!

Our last time on board there was an AMAZING guy that did a lot of the trivia entertainment and my mom and I were just certain he also JUST HAD to be Genie! I mean he was funny just like him. We very discreetly went up to him making sure no kids were around and kind of beat around the bush asked him. He told us he was not Genie, but was very flattered that we thought him talented enough to be him. I’m still not completely convinced! Haha. But we accepted his answer and continued on to tell him that we had been REALLY enjoying him and that if he wasn’t truly Genie then he really needed to try out! I think this is why I’m okay maybe letting some of the magic be just that magic. It keeps me on my toes! Haha. Not that your willingness to be a little more forthcoming about the magic isn’t appreciated, it is!! But that’s why I think I’m not just set out to “get it out of you!” Lol.

I don’t have a lot to do with the dining team, but I’ll see what I can find out for you
Thanks! And I find it amusing/interesting you mention the dining team when I didn’t, as they unfortunately seem to be the worst at it. :earsboy:

Okay 2 questions.

1. How hot are the full costumes? I saw Minnie in her pirate costume outside one day and it seemed very hot on the deck. Do they get lots of breaks?
2. Are you allowed to go to the different bars around the ship if you're on break and if so, which one is your favorite? (Any ship).

Thanks for answering our questions!
Pluto, Smee, Chip and Dale are good friends of mine and think it is very hot!!!! Usually it is no longer than 30 minutes, so not too bad. It is definitely hot though when these friends are dancing outside or visiting Castaway Cay.
As Cast, we do have Guest privileges which means we can spend time off in Guest areas. We don’t tend to go to the bars a great deal. Our Crew Bar is less expensive! We do love to get dressed up and go for special occasions though. I would say my favorites from across the fleet are Crown and Fin, O’Gills and Nightingales.

Our last time on board there was an AMAZING guy that did a lot of the trivia entertainment and my mom and I were just certain he also JUST HAD to be Genie! I mean he was funny just like him. We very discreetly went up to him making sure no kids were around and kind of beat around the bush asked him. He told us he was not Genie, but was very flattered that we thought him talented enough to be him. I’m still not completely convinced! Haha. But we accepted his answer and continued on to tell him that we had been REALLY enjoying him and that if he wasn’t truly Genie then he really needed to try out! I think this is why I’m okay maybe letting some of the magic be just that magic. It keeps me on my toes! Haha. Not that your willingness to be a little more forthcoming about the magic isn’t appreciated, it is!! But that’s why I think I’m not just set out to “get it out of you!” Lol.
Lol he must have been good! But generally the Cruise Staff who run activities such as trivia do not portray any of the characters. Totally different team, although we do work together a lot

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter