Current CM.. Any Questions?

Would you watch a vlog about life as a Disney performer at sea?

• Yes

Votes: 83 86.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's honestly like guests don't screw their heads on until they get to the main gate. The parking lot is no holds barred.
I think it is sometimes the same when meeting characters. People tend to forget that it is an actual human and sometimes do any say things that are veeerrryyyyy inappropriate. Sometimes it’s an honest mistake as they get caught up in emotion and nostalgia when meeting their favorite characters, but sometimes it is not

I think it is sometimes the same when meeting characters. People tend to forget that it is an actual human and sometimes do any say things that are veeerrryyyyy inappropriate. Sometimes it’s an honest mistake as they get caught up in emotion and nostalgia when meeting their favorite characters, but sometimes it is not
Has anything happened to you?

haha any you want to share? This thread could change to Confessions of Disney CMs 😂
My confession is that, and I’m not sugarcoating things or am a Disney apologist, all my roles required a lot off face to face or one on one interaction and considering the huge number of people I dealt with, the number of negative experiences is tiny, tiny.

Yes, there were some rude, angry, mean, selfish Guests, but the nice, polite, happy, helpful Guests vastly outnumbered them. You’ve pretty much said the same thing.

The standouts:
I’m a small-ish senior and a young dad threatened to punch me out because I couldn’t let him into a closed private sports event.

A fist fight nearly broke out between two middle aged women on my full bus.

While at the GF a well known actor whined that the shuttle golf cart I was driving him in hit a nasty bump and he wanted a free massage because his back was hurting as a result. Like he couldn’t afford it.

Being told by a Guest in front of others that I didn’t know what I was doing. Who knows, he might have been right.

My confession is that, and I’m not sugarcoating things or am a Disney apologist, all my roles required a lot off face to face or one on one interaction and considering the huge number of people I dealt with, the number of negative experiences is tiny, tiny.

Yes, there were some rude, angry, mean, selfish Guests, but the nice, polite, happy, helpful Guests vastly outnumbered them. You’ve pretty much said the same thing.

The standouts:
I’m a small-ish senior and a young dad threatened to punch me out because I couldn’t let him into a closed private sports event.

A fist fight nearly broke out between two middle aged women on my full bus.

While at the GF a well known actor whined that the shuttle golf cart I was driving him in hit a nasty bump and he wanted a free massage because his back was hurting as a result. Like he couldn’t afford it.

Being told by a Guest in front of others that I didn’t know what I was doing. Who knows, he might have been right.
Lol about the who knows, he might have been right. I’m glad you can laugh about it now as I’m sure it wasn’t easy in the moment. I tend to think most if not all Disney CM’s are some of the more patient people in the world. The only moment I can remember that a CM was not as up to par was on our last cruise about a year ago and she was on our dining team. I tried to just give her the benefit of the doubt though. I know that being on the service team has to be very stressful and I could tell that her head server was kind of down her throat a lot. My Mom said she doesn’t even remember it any more, so it clearly wasn’t that bad! Haha. Like I said, I didn’t hold it against her - she may work for Disney but she’s a person all the same and I don’t know what she may have been going through at the time. I hope people afford me that kind of grace in my not greatest moments. I’m just looking forward to this year’s cruise and our B2B2B next year! Just. So. Excited! Lol

Not everyone goes to see the characters with the best of intentions. I have had a few instances that were challenging. But they were handled and everything was fine
Do you find that you have to “handle” the situation yourself most times or do your accompanying “friend” handle them or a mixture? And another question are there things that sometimes you wish parents would not tell their children or sometimes that you wish they would tell their children when interacting with you? For example, I could see some parents telling kids don’t touch them too much and maybe that hinders your ability to interact with them or maybe the parent not telling them boundaries and the child is too much on top of you?

Don’t know if it’s still the case but parking CMs and bus drivers shared the same break room at TTC so I‘ve overheard some of the stories.
I think it's still the case (It's the one to the far left and in the back, right?), security uses that break room too so we all commiserate about life at TTC.

Do you find that you have to “handle” the situation yourself most times or do your accompanying “friend” handle them or a mixture? And another question are there things that sometimes you wish parents would not tell their children or sometimes that you wish they would tell their children when interacting with you? For example, I could see some parents telling kids don’t touch them too much and maybe that hinders your ability to interact with them or maybe the parent not telling them boundaries and the child is too much on top of you?
A mixture. If it’s something minor, a character can handle it. If not the attendant steps in.
I think that when parents try and over prepare kids for characters it can be tough because they may not react or interact how they normally would. Kids are so authentic in their reactions to their favorite characters, so it’s best to go with that and see what happens.
Btw, nothing is worse than sticky ice cream hands all over you 🤣

Lol about the who knows, he might have been right. I’m glad you can laugh about it now as I’m sure it wasn’t easy in the moment. I tend to think most if not all Disney CM’s are some of the more patient people in the world. The only moment I can remember that a CM was not as up to par was on our last cruise about a year ago and she was on our dining team. I tried to just give her the benefit of the doubt though. I know that being on the service team has to be very stressful and I could tell that her head server was kind of down her throat a lot. My Mom said she doesn’t even remember it any more, so it clearly wasn’t that bad! Haha. Like I said, I didn’t hold it against her - she may work for Disney but she’s a person all the same and I don’t know what she may have been going through at the time. I hope people afford me that kind of grace in my not greatest moments. I’m just looking forward to this year’s cruise and our B2B2B next year! Just. So. Excited! Lol
I think as well, that even the CMs experience “working for Disney” in completely different ways. For example, my role is completely “living the Disney Dream”, but the dining team work extremely hard and Guests expect/react differently to them than they would a character

A mixture. If it’s something minor, a character can handle it. If not the attendant steps in.
I think that when parents try and over prepare kids for characters it can be tough because they may not react or interact how they normally would. Kids are so authentic in their reactions to their favorite characters, so it’s best to go with that and see what happens.
Btw, nothing is worse than sticky ice cream hands all over you 🤣
Lol! Oh icky ice cream!! I can just imagine!! I’m guessing Cindy may wish she had her gloves on sometimes! Is there a “friend” you prefer?

Lol! Oh icky ice cream!! I can just imagine!! I’m guessing Cindy may wish she had her gloves on sometimes! Is there a “friend” you prefer?
Cindy doesn’t go anywhere without her gloves! Lol. I think for DCL, my favorite friends are Cindy and Rapunzel. They have totally different personalities. Oh and Chip and Dale. They can have so much fun! In the parks, I got to hang out with different friends a lot more than I do on DCL

Are there other ways of showing appreciation apart from saying thank you and name dropping on the feedback form?

The princesses are my daughter’s heroes and ALL she ever talks about at home, but when she finally meets them she gets soooo starstruck and freezes, sometimes to the extent of not being able to look them in the eyes. The princesses on the Wonder right now have been so kind and patient with her. I’m amazed at how much they can say to shy children. A few of the vids I captured are 3+min long! I don’t know if some of the CM’s think they’re just doing their job but it really does mean a whole lot to families. Thank you for creating magic!

Cindy doesn’t go anywhere without her gloves! Lol. I think for DCL, my favorite friends are Cindy and Rapunzel. They have totally different personalities. Oh and Chip and Dale. They can have so much fun! In the parks, I got to hang out with different friends a lot more than I do on DCL
Do you have to take a “class” on your friends so you know everything about them or does Disney just make you watch the movies over and over? Lol.

Do you have to take a “class” on your friends so you know everything about them or does Disney just make you watch the movies over and over? Lol.
Absolutely. Training is very intense. We have Princess lessons, usually with a CM who was friends with that character. And yes we do watch the movies over and over as well!
Once training is finished, you go onstage and do a set as the character and managers and trainers will watch you. You have to pass this to be approved. I know a few girls who messed up and had to do more training

Absolutely. Training is very intense. We have Princess lessons, usually with a CM who was friends with that character. And yes we do watch the movies over and over as well!
Once training is finished, you go onstage and do a set as the character and managers and trainers will watch you. You have to pass this to be approved. I know a few girls who messed up and had to do more training
Yikes! How long does training usually take? Are lessons on make up included in that training? I saw your friends had to do their own. I would be so lost! Haha

Yikes! How long does training usually take? Are lessons on make up included in that training? I saw you had to do your own. I would be so lost! Haha
Usually a couple of days. Yes it does include makeup. As well as making sure the character knows how to write their name

Usually a couple of days. Yes it does include makeup. As well as making sure the character knows how to write their name
Yep, that would be my demise. Haha. I have not very princess-y writing! 😆 How many friends might you be with on one day? Do your friends ever have to do their make up more than once a day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter