David's Vacation Club Rentals

Sorry, I haven't been hanging at my computer to respond.

Justification:

From page 13 of the 2009 Vacation Planner:

Renting Vacation Points Restriction

Use of the Vacation homes and recreational facilities for commercial purposes...is expressly prohibited.

A Member who maintains a web site offering rental of Vacation points is clearly renting for commercial purposes

There is more there but I'm not going to retype the whole thing. I'm not going to get into a debate about it but you wanted some justification for what I said so there you have it. DVC is not enforcing their own rules and that is their choice.

Sorry Rob, I think you're wrong. He is not maintaining a website to rent out his points...he's maintaining a site to broker rentals between two other parties...people who are not in business to make a profit, but simply cannot use their villas during a particular year, don't want the time and hassle of arranging a deal themselves, and don't want to just throw away their points when they've paid good money for them. He charges $13, offering reliable bookings, gives $10 to the owner, which is the going rate, and keeps the spread as payment for his service, which IMHO is considerable.
Capitalism at it's best...find a need and fill it, everybody wins.

So the renter pays $13 per point, the DVC member gets $10. Easy peasy for the DVC member. But why would a renter want to buy points for $13 when they can rent from other DVC members for $10? Based on our last trip of 7 nights at BLT it would cost $549 more using David's service versus renting from a member direct. I just don't see the advantage for the renters. Great for the DVC member but not for the renter.

Because in this oh so just world of ours, doing it on your own could potentially mean that you arrive at the resort to find that your reservation was canceled - good luck recovering the thousands of dollars you sent to the owner (who has rented the same unit to 4 different families). Some people just don't want to have to worry about anything going wrong. Yours may have gone flawlessly, but post a question about renters who had problems and see what the response is!

Well then I guess it would be even better if there 10 different Davids doing the same thing. After all why should David be the only one being allowed to provide this wonderful sevice? It not like he is a licensed travel broker. More competition would be a good thing wouldn't it? And then we can have ten different Davids calling MS all day to find out rental availability. It seems like an abuse of MS to me. And why is David allowed to call up MS and ask about availablity anyway? Whenever I call MS, they ask for my name and member number before giving me any information. So how does that work exactly?

It would be fine to have 20 davids..do you really think 10 more people calling MS is going to break them? Maybe you can do it...it's an honest living.
And how does he get availability? I would bet that he himself is a dvc owner with point ownership in every resort!
OK..I've defended David several times on this thread..but I do have one complaint...I HATE THE GIANT HEAD!! whew..glad to get that off my chest.

I don't know if he is just a middle man, And I don't know that being a middle man makes it okay. I'm not a lawyer. But I do know that he is collecting a fee for his service. And he is a maintaining a website that is being used for renting points and it is being used for commercial purposes. It seems that DVC put this rule in there for a reason. I don't know that it makes any difference whose points he is renting and I don't think that DVC would have any problem bringing legal pressure to bear on anyone if they choose to do so. But they choose not to.

But again, I'm not a lawyer so I don't have the answers. This obviously a very sticky issue to discuss here because he is a sponsor. But that shouldn't stifle the discussion and thus far it has not. There are some on these boards who normally chime in on these types of question and may know more but they haven't posted on this thread at all.

I believe Disney put the rule in place to keep a single owner from renting his points continually - if everyone bought diney only to rent out the points, it would be bad for everyone. What David is doing dos not have that impact...I am sure he is not allowed to broker deals for a particular owner that would be beyond what that particular owner is allowed to do per his contract.
With all due respect, I'm really not getting why you have such a problem with it...sounds like rebel without a cause to me.

Isn't it possible that David's service results in FEWER calls to MS than if the rentals were done independently by owners? When an owner tries to rent out points it frequently involves calling MS for multiple prospective customers, some of whom are dealing with other owners trying to get a low bid or just feeling out the market. Since David has a deposit requirement, my guess is that he gets serious renters only. In addition, he has so much experience that he probably takes less time on the phone with MS than some owners who may be new to the rental process.

The problem with David's business is that it is a business and violates DVC's rules about commercial renting. It's not casual, once in a while renting.

He is not in the business of commercial renting...he's in the business of brokering a rental between two non-commercial entities. If he were helping you buy bathing suits for your up coming trip and charging you for the service, would that rub you the wrong way since he is making a profit off of helping you prepare for your trip? This is exactly the same thing!

i have been reading this with great interests & concerns.

here's my opinions, based on what our guide told us &
our experiences as new owners.

as far as we are concern, dvc should refund our money &
allow us to get out. we were made promises that were
not kept by our guide & since he represented the dvc,
they should have enough intergity to do so.

now i don't know this dave fella & therefore, have no opinion
about him.

the same thing about mr. robod.~3000.

however, we back up mr. robo 's observations 100%. and as long
as we are not process "out" by dvc, we will continue to report
what we feel is wrong doing especially those effecting our blt
resvs..

what kind of job do you have dave @ disney? [ on another post,
you stated on the owner locker post, you are require to do
buisness @ disney] if you are a dvc employee maybe you can
help us get out? or do have another disney job & freinds working
@ the dvc?

while i don't know how disney is ignoring your buisness unless it is
an extension of the dvc? [ i was refered to contact dvc when i first
asked about your buisness & got no response. i then read here
the same recomendation..so it reminded me of insider knowledge
where the person already know the answer.] some also thought
disney is unable to do anything because you live in canada.
however, i don't believe that because you stated on another
site that you are a dvc owner, @ 7 resorts.

from reading your early posts, i am 99.999% sure that you have an
ongoing "pool" of owners where resvs. can be made by non-members
by using your services. if a non-member contacts you prior to the
11-month date, then those owners wanting to sell their points can/
will make the resvs. especially during the most popular times,&
the smaller resorts. this action has the potential for effecting
owners in negative ways & later, reducing the availabilty @ the
7mos for the owners wanting to switch.

now if dvc had a "clause" in place where non-members had to wait within
the 7mos period to obtain dvc resorts then i wouldn't object to
anyone doing this.

this was promised by our guide. that we would never have a problem
making resvs @ our home resort if we made them @ 9am. if we ever
had a problem, call him & it would be fixed. it never included going
on any waitlist. when my wife called , she got thru right @ 9am
and she was already too late. not because other owners were ahead
of her. because there were none to begin with.

it is my opinion, that under all situations, owners should have the
first pick @ their home resorts, then the second picks @ 7mos
before a single non-member is able. i also think that rooms requests
should also be done the same way. afterall, this is why we became
members, and we repeated this often to our guide.

fyi, just by the ways dvc is set up, it is bad news when any type
of organization/buisness poll together owners where they are making
revs @ the 11/7 mos just to sell . in al cases, the dvc inventory
are reduced for regular members just trying to get a room.

this makes it possible that a non-member was able to have an owner
to have "walked" a revs. is unacceptable to us. and who should have
the first choices regarding dvc locations...we vote for the owners
including dave. also when i first started reading here, dave bragged
he has 2 revs. for december, the first week & the last. this was our
first attempt, and there were no rooms for our request that was
promised to us. all i am saying, we don't think dvc is for us &
if disney was fair , they would make right or let us out. so if you
are a dvc manager, we like to hear from you.

anyways, that what i think about the buisness of renting dvc points.

Your entire post makes absolutely no sense to me. I bet you completely misunderstood your guide. And if you want out, just sell...it's easy enough todo with a diney timeshare, unlike all the other timeshares on the planet.

PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC.

This thread simply began as a question about using dvcrequest.com for DVC reservations from members :

"Does anyone have any experience renting DVC points from this company? (dvcrequest.com) We always stay POR but we're very crowded. When looking up prices, he is about $500 more for a full week in June to stay at AKV 1BR. Seems like a good deal. Any input?? (We're total creatures of habit so stepping outside our comfort zone is !!) TIA! "

Some have seen fit to use this thread as an opportunity to attack another poster and offer their own bias about something that is beyond the scope of discussion here.

Attacks on other posters are not going to be tolerated and will be dealt with based on the DIS guidelines.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but how does David assure that the owner is not going to cancel the reservation and keep the money? I mean, how does his service guarantee that nothing will go wrong?

I once rented points directly through a DVC member on this board and luckily everything went well for both of us. We both signed a contract. I sent the money and got a copy of the reservation in return.

I understand that things could have gone wrong, i.e. the owner cancelling my reservation after receiving my money, so I want to know how David can guarantee. Are the owner's points transferred to him to make the reservation? :confused3

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but how does David assure that the owner is not going to cancel the reservation and keep the money? I mean, how does his service guarantee that nothing will go wrong?

I once rented points directly through a DVC member on this board and luckily everything went well for both of us. We both signed a contract. I sent the money and got a copy of the reservation in return.

I understand that things could have gone wrong, i.e. the owner cancelling my reservation after receiving my money, so I want to know how David can guarantee. Are the owner's points transferred to him to make the reservation? :confused3

My understanding is that the owner does not receive full payment until the renter checks into the resort.

There will be a certain number of people that will complain about anything.

Dave provides a great service. There were times I would have liked to rent points but was afraid of getting ripped off.

Great idea, Dave

We now have a 1,000 points but use them all, but would not hesitate to use Dave if I have to.

I just used his service and LOVED it. It was super easy and I will do it again. If you are thinking of renting your points he makes it easy for you!

when i asked member services, was told owners can't rent
their points too many times before they start getting
notice letters. how many times? can they put on probation?
the thing that is scary to me, is that the owners are
responsible for the renters damages, and any bills they
do not pay. i think we will only rent points to those
we know & trust.
on another site, i read that cast members have different
restrictions. does anyone knows what they are?

the thing that is scary to me, is that the owners are responsible for the renters damages, and any bills they
do not pay. i think we will only rent points to those
we know & trust.
on another site, i read that cast members have different
restrictions. does anyone knows what they are?

This is covered by Dave's renters agreement:

Renter agrees to abide by all Disney Vacation Club terms, policies and rules applicable to Disney Vacation Club members and Disney Vacation Club membership. Renter agrees to be responsible for any unpaid charges or damages to the unit rented, including all contents and improvements, Disney Vacation Club property and Disney property during his/her stay that are assessed against the Member or his membership. Any unpaid charges or damages assessed shall be reimbursed to the Member or the Associate Member or their assigned agents within 10 business days of notice to Renter. Sending a fax or e-mail copy of a Disney Vacation Club or other Walt Disney Company communication assessing the charges or damages shall satisfy notice to the Renter. Renter agrees to pay any and all charges to the Member or the Associate Member or their assigned agents for any fees or charges related to the collection of any monies owing.

I have to say, I think David provides an invaluable service. We are currently in a situation where we need to dump points basically. We bought SSR while we lived in FL, and eventually got stationed in HI. (we are military) There is no DVC here yet, and it's hard to use points from where we are. In fact, in March we went to the Grand Wailea for 5 days to "kill points" (at nearly 95 pts a night!!!!) and while we enjoyed our trip it sucked up points. At that point we had points we were about to lose and needed to get rid of a big chunk of points. I only wish I had known about David earlier, I could have used that $6000 basically better than using it for 5 nights at the Grand Wailea (on Maui.)

I think the Paypal fee was around 1%. I have to say that my points sold quickly and it was painless! Thankful he is around and will be using him "again real soon"

We used him for our trip last year and our one this coming October. He is wonderful. The process is super easy and we did not have any problems. I highly recommend using him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter