• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Direct Sales Incentives - Fall 2020 (9/17 - 11/4)

To lower incentives from what they had indicates to me that current sales are doing okay.

I'm not 100% sure about this, though. I think if I were to put on a sale, I'd tell people that the prices will be higher afterwards and stick to it. I'd probably use the next set of incentives as a guide... Current sales data may indicate that it's comparable to pre-COVID, but I think DVC would love to try to make up for the sales they lost during the shutdown. This is all speculation, of course.

I'm not 100% sure about this, though. I think if I were to put on a sale, I'd tell people that the prices will be higher afterwards and stick to it. I'd probably use the next set of incentives as a guide... Current sales data may indicate that it's comparable to pre-COVID, but I think DVC would love to try to make up for the sales they lost during the shutdown. This is all speculation, of course.

The only thing is that last year when I was buying, it was near the end of the specials and when the new ones came out, they were better,

My guide had indicated that he did not believe they would be but sure enough, they were,

Of course, we don’t know what they want to see but I can’t imagine expectations were high. I know in the past, specials have been extended and kept the same, so that was an option they could have done too,

As you said, though, we all speculate!

Reactions: EYL
To add to this, when we called in to our guide yesterday to finalize our purchase of 300 points CCV, he mentioned a few other changes that were communicated just that day:
  • They are no longer selling UY for OCT, or DEC, if someone asks then guides should suggest SEP
  • They are no longer allowed to give out 2019 points (likely because 2020 is saturated with points due to COVID)
I feel like I'm forgetting one, so if I remember later, I'll post again.

Regarding UY I can see CCV being more restrictive with few points remaining to sell.

But Aulani and Riviera? I'm doubtful they'd be heavy handed there where there is a ton of inventory available. Either way, I can definitely see guides pushing other UYs but DVD ultimately selling October or December if it meant not losing a sale.

As for not giving out 2019 points I'd question the legality. If one enters a contract for a UY that is still current then there's an obligation to make points available. This is also where people are sold on "free" or "gifted" points. DVD doesn't give current UY points as a gift, but they are given because that's legally what they must do. Of course, this is my limited understanding of the law and I could be incorrect.

Regarding UY I can see CCV being more restrictive with few points remaining to sell.

But Aulani and Riviera? I'm doubtful they'd be heavy handed there where there is a ton of inventory available. Either way, I can definitely see guides pushing other UYs but DVD ultimately selling October or December if it meant not losing a sale.

As for not giving out 2019 points I'd question the legality. If one enters a contract for a UY that is still current then there's an obligation to make points available. This is also where people are sold on "free" or "gifted" points. DVD doesn't give current UY points as a gift, but they are given because that's legally what they must do. Of course, this is my limited understanding of the law and I could be incorrect.

I think that is why they are saying they will not sell anyone those UYs because they wlll not be giving 2019 UY points.

But yeah, I can see them telling new buyers they won’t sell them one of those even with losing a sale because of the situation with an over abundance of points in the system.

Now, until it happens, it could just be a tactic but for Oct UY, it’s only 12 days and then it’s a moot point for that.

I feel like they tell folks a lot of things that aren’t completely true when people really push. We are only selling these three resorts, we only sell this use year. I’m wondering if you said you’d only buy a December use year if points would magically appear.

I’m going to call tomorrow to check on the Dec UY. I was waiting it out to buy my first contract of 100 points at AKL just prior to the increase in minimum points.

super glad I got in and challenged for my 2019 points in July for an August use year.

Same here except bought last week with an Oct UY. I had a ton of questions for my guide and forgot to ask about use year. He automatically assigned April. When I told him I wanted Oct at RIV he had to get permission to change it. But it worked out and my 2019 pts are now banked.

At some point Aulani will have to fire sale just to close out marketing on that. I mean we're pushing a decade for that place (Grand Opening August 29th, 2011).
We’re past a decade since active sales began, and close to ten full years if you leave out the 2 times they temporarily stopped selling it (2010/11 dues fiasco and COVID)

We’re past a decade since active sales began, and close to ten full years if you leave out the 2 times they temporarily stopped selling it (2010/11 dues fiasco and COVID)
What percentage has been sold? Is guess Disney is okay with it taking a long time since they don't lower the prices?

At some point Aulani will have to fire sale just to close out marketing on that. I mean we're pushing a decade for that place (Grand Opening August 29th, 2011).
If they are able to fill the unsold inventory with cash reservations, they may not be in such a hurry. It gets into cash now versus cash in the future and where they want their capital tied up. With covid closing down Hawaii tourism for months, I am sure they are wishing they were not sitting on empty cash (inventory), but going forward having more "hotel rooms" may still be a good spot for them.

What percentage has been sold? Is guess Disney is okay with it taking a long time since they don't lower the prices?
About 60% of Aulani had been declared as of December.

The real problem is that sales of Aulani have slooooowed in recent years. I’m not sure why DVC has not offered stronger incentives on it, it may be the cash market is strong enough that they’re still making their money. But generally speaking you want to unload a timeshare in the first few years it exists. I’m confident they didn’t expect to be selling Aulani in 2020, or to be projecting to be still selling in in 2027, with only 35 years left on it.

About 60% of Aulani had been declared as of December.

View attachment 526898

The real problem is that sales of Aulani have slooooowed in recent years. I’m not sure why DVC has not offered stronger incentives on it, it may be the cash market is strong enough that they’re still making their money. But generally speaking you want to unload a timeshare in the first few years it exists. I’m confident they didn’t expect to be selling Aulani in 2020, or to be projecting to be still selling in in 2027, with only 35 years left on it.
Sad because I do often wish there were more DVC resorts outside of WDW. Hilton Head and Vero are both lovely. I wish there was something out west, maybe in the Rockies, we love hiking so that would be awesome. But I imagine what's happened with Aulani has turned them away from any new resort that isn't near a theme park.

But maybe I can hope for Disneyland Paris? Tokyo Disney DVC would be so awesome but I imagine that's never going to happen since Disney doesn't actually own that

We did the DVC pitch a few years ago with some friends and the guide explicitly stated she would not sell us Aulani points unless we lived on the West Coast (we do not) and/or we already traveled to Hawaii at least every other year (we do not). So when even the guides think it's a bad deal...
I agree!
On another note: A friend & I did the 10k & Half Princess this past year too. Last Disney race to be held. We had a blast! Seems like a lifetime ago!

Sad because I do often wish there were more DVC resorts outside of WDW. Hilton Head and Vero are both lovely. I wish there was something out west, maybe in the Rockies, we love hiking so that would be awesome. But I imagine what's happened with Aulani has turned them away from any new resort that isn't near a theme park.

But maybe I can hope for Disneyland Paris? Tokyo Disney DVC would be so awesome but I imagine that's never going to happen since Disney doesn't actually own that

So for Disneyland Paris supposedly they gave away land for Marriott. What I wish we would have at international parks were resorts owned by DVC, paid for by Membership, but bookable by all membership. Any breakage that occurred would be split 50/50 between Disney and Membership to pay for the resort itself and likely avoid much if any burden on MFs.

Now with places like the Rockies and other places while it might be nice to have something in DVC I personally don't think its great for the system to have more members who will try to trade in to WDW at 7 months. VGC is a little different and the other resorts are so small points wise.

I am pretty fine though if you think I am incorrect and that other resorts wouldn't cause an impact. I after all would love a Disney resort in northern Wisconsin on a private lake with a huge lodge. It would be a great location pulling both from Chicago and Minneapolis without a ton of competition except for smaller lodges.

So for Disneyland Paris supposedly they gave away land for Marriott. What I wish we would have at international parks were resorts owned by DVC, paid for by Membership, but bookable by all membership. Any breakage that occurred would be split 50/50 between Disney and Membership to pay for the resort itself and likely avoid much if any burden on MFs.

Now with places like the Rockies and other places while it might be nice to have something in DVC I personally don't think its great for the system to have more members who will try to trade in to WDW at 7 months. VGC is a little different and the other resorts are so small points wise.

I am pretty fine though if you think I am incorrect and that other resorts wouldn't cause an impact. I after all would love a Disney resort in northern Wisconsin on a private lake with a huge lodge. It would be a great location pulling both from Chicago and Minneapolis without a ton of competition except for smaller lodges.
Not sure what you mean by DVC-owned resorts internationally with the 50/50 split, but if it gets us DVC in Tokyo I'm for it!

Yeah, I think you're right, about having DVC in other places, I hadn't thought about those points then competing at WDW... don't need more of that, as nice as the lodge in Wisconsin sounds!

Off the top of my head, I think the resale restrictions mean there almost certainly will not be more DVC developed away from the parks. Kind of a shame. I like the options of Vero, HH, and Aulani for occasional use, but I can’t imagine buying resale and only being able to book those places, unless it was very very cheap. Aulani is maybe an exception to this if you lived locally, but even then, I assume being able to book at WDW is a huge perk. There are plenty of timeshares in Hawaii to choose from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter