Disney parks impact from stock!?

Tymeece

Memphis Mouse
I am afraid with Disney’s current stock price and quarterly earnings. We are not going to see funds put into the park. Epic Universe is going to crush attendance and I anticipate a pretty big attendance swing soon. There is Tron coming, little bit they are doing in EPCOT, Tiana(splash) but not much of a draw for the next few years. I fear we will see the parks cleanliness, painting, details, etc…go down drastically further. Don’t you all think?

Disney's current stock price and quarterly earnings will not have any bearing on what monies are or are not spent to update/maintain the parks. It has been very apparent that they have been ignoring the parks as well as the resorts for many years. That is due to the fact that the top tier executives salaries and bonuses have more than tripled in the last ten years. Most of the top tier executives salaries are based on meeting certain benchmarks such as increased revenue, increased profits etc... They don't care how they reach those benchmarks as long as they reach them. It is most beneficial to them to acquire media outlets and streaming services as it will, in the short term, increase revenue so they can collect their HUGE bonuses. I don't think they will cut off their noses despite the faces because it is the revenue from the parks and resorts that let them make the acquisitions they want to make to remain competitive in the world of streaming media. In short I don't think we will see any further deterioration of the things you mentioned because your talking about their bread and butter. And personally I don't think the diehard Dis fans will put up with it any longer and the powers that be do realize that. BUT I have been wrong before, Just ask my wife LOL

Epic Universe is going to crush attendance and I anticipate a pretty big attendance swing soon.

Most of the top tier executives salaries are based on meeting certain benchmarks such as increased revenue, increased profits etc... They don't care how they reach those benchmarks as long as they reach them.

Sadly, I think you're both right. Disney is going to lose attendance, and the former die-hard fans will be the first to go! "Nickel & diming" in the name of more profits/bonuses continues to chip away at the guest experience, and it will eventually reach a tipping point. (It already has for some people.)

Stock price of any company can move up/down for a lot of different reasons and some have more to do with things like the general economy vs something specific to that company. Disney is now this huge conglomerate with lots of different business segments. Quarterly earnings would likely have a more direct impact on whether they decide to cut costs and where.

Stock price of any company can move up/down for a lot of different reasons and some have more to do with things like the general economy vs something specific to that company. Disney is now this huge conglomerate with lots of different business segments. Quarterly earnings would likely have a more direct impact on whether they decide to cut costs and where.
Also very true

Agreed. I have to think labor at parks are one of their biggest expenses and when looking to cut that is an option. I also think any new projects at parks get cut. Yes, they took on huge debt from Fox and are spending big dollars to push other owned companies(Disney+, ESPN(huge drain), Hulu, etc…)but I fear the parks will be the one picking up the profits.

I am afraid with Disney’s current stock price and quarterly earnings. We are not going to see funds put into the park. Epic Universe is going to crush attendance and I anticipate a pretty big attendance swing soon. There is Tron coming, little bit they are doing in EPCOT, Tiana(splash) but not much of a draw for the next few years. I fear we will see the parks cleanliness, painting, details, etc…go down drastically further. Don’t you all think?
I certainly know there are tons of people who've been going to WDW for years, can't speak to DL, but I've been going for a very long time and while the freebies of yesteryear are going by the wayside more and more, I think WDW has done better and better over time enhancing the parks, adding new attractions, granted they need more original ideas, and keeping them looking top notch. There are photos from my trips as a kid and parts of the park look scary. Epcot had peeled paint, as did MK, in 80s and going into the 90s. There's trash in some of my photos and special events were not what they have going on today.

The stock price and earnings may suffer as we're in/headed into a likely recession, and have been before, but I do think that since mid 2000s, the painting, landscaping, design, special event enhancements has really been more front and center. Sure, there are micro events of things looking bad, a super busy restroom that's neglected or a restaurant with dirty tables but you could easily look back at the great recession from 2008 on, we never saw any major declines in cleanliness and the like. If anything there may be some positives as the economy goes down, more folks will need jobs which may lead people back work and maybe we'll get daily mousekeeping again with beds made. Who knows?

Disney discounts are coming next year.
Agreed, I think we'll see discounts from most travel related industries. I've already been surprised to see the amount of discounts from WDW over the holiday season. I actually got a unique pin code offer last month, no better than the AP offer but still hadn't seen one of those in a very very long time.

Agreed, I think we'll see discounts from most travel related industries. I've already been surprised to see the amount of discounts from WDW over the holiday season. I actually got a unique pin code offer last month, no better than the AP offer but still hadn't seen one of those in a very very long time.
I think, revenge travel is coming to an end this year, and the travel industry will feel pain as folks tighten their wallets given the higher inflation. They're going to have to discount to get people into the parks. But I expect they'll start out small to begin with to see how much lower they need to go.

There is not likely to be new investments in the parks for the next while, nothing major will be on the horizon beyond what has been stated, would be my guess.

However, the parks are a huge contributor to the bottom line. They are going to be careful and methodical there. They're also much less "risky" a profit generator than say a new movie which could be a massive hit or colossal failure.

People have complained for years Disney World is too expensive, yet they keep coming.

I think, revenge travel is coming to an end this year, and the travel industry will feel pain as folks tighten their wallets given the higher inflation. They're going to have to discount to get people into the parks. But I expect they'll start out small to begin with to see how much lower they need to go.
In another life, I cover local government for my own newsblog. City council, county commission (called Police Jury here in Louisiana), school board. This past Monday, at city council, the city treasurer gave her monthly financial report. The local sales tax collections were down, compared to the same month last year. Not much, but those numbers had steadily been growing since the Covid lockdowns of early 2020 by 2 to 4 percent per year. It is an accurate predictor of retail spending. So folks are beginning to tighten up discretionary spending.

In another life, I cover local government for my own newsblog. City council, county commission (called Police Jury here in Louisiana), school board. This past Monday, at city council, the city treasurer gave her monthly financial report. The local sales tax collections were down, compared to the same month last year. Not much, but those numbers had steadily been growing since the Covid lockdowns of early 2020 by 2 to 4 percent per year. It is an accurate predictor of retail spending. So folks are beginning to tighten up discretionary spending.
I don't think the equity market has this priced in. Right now, it's looking for any reason to rally. The reality is that after you pay for essentials, you have less left over, and I doubt many people are getting raises high enough to offset this year's inflation next year.

The parks are supposed to be their reliable profit generator. I was listening to a financial pundit’s take on Disney’s earnings and he basically said D+ needs to OVERperform to compensate for how much of a financial drag ESPN is which is very unlikely, and so in turn they need Parks to overperform to offset that sluggish growth as well. How are parks supposed to grow if they’re falling apart and the experience doesn’t match expectations? I just travelled w two very wealthy first-timers - Disney’s target acquisition audience - and they were totally turned off by the confusing reservation system, magic mobile, and long lines. If Disney can’t attract and keep the top tier visitors they’re going to need to lean more heavily on international travelers, because the domestic middle class is getting squeezed way too much to have anything left over for Disney in the next few years.

The parks are supposed to be their reliable profit generator. I was listening to a financial pundit’s take on Disney’s earnings and he basically said D+ needs to OVERperform to compensate for how much of a financial drag ESPN is which is very unlikely, and so in turn they need Parks to overperform to offset that sluggish growth as well. How are parks supposed to grow if they’re falling apart and the experience doesn’t match expectations? I just travelled w two very wealthy first-timers - Disney’s target acquisition audience - and they were totally turned off by the confusing reservation system, magic mobile, and long lines. If Disney can’t attract and keep the top tier visitors they’re going to need to lean more heavily on international travelers, because the domestic middle class is getting squeezed way too much to have anything left over for Disney in the next few years.
You are correct.

Here's the numbers:

THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY REPORTS FOURTH QUARTER and FULL YEAR EARNINGS FOR FISCAL 2022
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app/uploads/2022/11/q4-fy22-earnings.pdf

Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution Division
For quarter ended 9/30/22: Revenues: $12.725 billion - Operating profit: $.083 billion (0.67% return)
For year ended 9/30/22: Revenues: $55.040 billion - Operating profit: $4.216 billion (7.66% return)

Parks, Experiences and Products Division
For quarter ended 9/30/22: Revenues: $7.425 billion - Operating profit: $1.514 billion (20.39% return)
For year ended 9/30/22: Revenues: $28.705 billion - Operating profit: $7.905 billion (27.54% return)

Last edited:
If Disney can’t attract and keep the top tier visitors they’re going to need to lean more heavily on international travelers, because the domestic middle class is getting squeezed way too much to have anything left over for Disney in the next few years.
Problem is that all but the most wealthiest international visitors are also being squeezed, especially British visitors, who are facing so many problems at home, such as the poor £-$ exchange rate, soaring bills and continued stagflation, which is made worse by externalities arising from current events on the European Continent. Unless some economic miracle happens, Disney would have a hard time attracting any guests, international or otherwise, and on top of controversial manoeuvres such as Genie+, the loss of value-for-money and other negative externalities arising from increased prices will continue to hurt Disney.

The problem here is the strong US Dollar. Conversion rates are pretty awful, so I wouldn't expect a whole lot out of international travelers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter