Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing that absolutely infuriates me is that a non-guest can get free "day guest" parking. If they will now charge a per-hour parking fee (like other hotels do), I am fine paying to park my car overnight at the resort we are staying.

But, non-WDW guests have been coming to park at the resorts to avoid park parking fees, and non-resort guests have been parking at the monorail/Epcot resorts to "dine" and "shop" to avoid busing. I am going to be pissed if they get free parking and I don't, or if they are using a spot that I could be parking in.

That's what gets me. Sometimes you have to go round and round to get a parking space at Boardwalk because people park there and go to Epcot. They should be charged. Have a validation for dining or a minimum purchase.

I just changed from WL to the Hilton Lake Buena Vista. Still have shuttle, EMH and fast pass 60 days out. Was booked 5 days at the end of May. My cost went from $2,007 at WL (this was WITH an AP discount mind you) to $795.00 at Hilton.

I'm not defending this decision (nor do I like it as we typically do have a car during our WDW vacations), however it is a great business decision by Disney. WDW wants to hold you captive on property so they get more of your money, they don't want you to easily be able to drive off property for non-WDW food or to visit Universal and spend your money there. They are hoping more people decide NOT to bring a car and they have now made it easier to get around WDW property with the Minnie Van service for those people who don't like dealing with the buses. So basically they are trying to recoup some of the money they lose from people who bring a car and eat off property of leave WDW property to visit another tourist attraction. This is clearly not a popular decision so it will be interesting to see how it affects attendance and if they end up losing more money on guests who simply give up and decide not to visit at all.

One thing I do feel like will likely happen is that those guests who are on a tighter budget and might not spend as much while at WDW as others are likely to be driven away from staying on property as the parking fees may well be the thing that stops them from being able to visit (as it may be more likely that those guests drive to save money on airfare). Again from a business perspective I have to wonder if that is being done on purpose to open up more resort rooms for guests that spend more money. It clearly sucks, but looking at it from only a financial perspective it may well pay off for Disney.

I will say that I am relieved we will be moving near WDW this summer so we not be affected much longer since our regular week long WDW resort stays will soon come to an end. Sadly, both my husband and I responded to the news the way WDW wants us to - we both said "well the other hotels we stay out when we travel charge for overnight parking so this is no different." But, we have the luxury of being able to afford multiple visits a year and while we wouldn't be thrilled to pay the new parking fee, it wouldn't deter us from staying because we can afford it. While a WDW vacation has ALWAYS been expensive, it has been something that even those with a tighter budget could potentially save for (even if it took quite awhile to save for) so they could take that one time amazing family vacation trip. I am saddened that even that is becoming more and more unlikely these days.

To me, this is going too far now. There is really no justification for this since all lots are generally empty and space is not at a premium (like DLR). It seems petty to charge this with all the other cutbacks and upcharges now. This could be a breaking point for many, myself included.

The way I read that is you only park for free at non-DVC resorts *if* you use points to book those stays...which we all know is a dead loser.

Read it again, I think you are right. Free at a DVC resort, points or cash. Non-DVC, points only.

Agree...like I said earlier, as a DVC member, it won't affect me. But, I think Disney needs to do away with some of the ridiculous discounts they do like Free Dining before they begin fee-ing everyone to death. I've complained about paying for parking at Universal on top of the room rate, and Disney doing it doesn't change my opinion.

Sure, you have to pay in cities to park...because there is limited parking. Disney doesn't have that problem, folks. Just because you're used to HAVING to pay for parking, doesn't make it right or acceptable.

Maybe they will have a free parking promotion <g>

Last edited:

Haha I didn't know if you were looking for like concrete evidence or just information! I kinda find it weird that there isn't a blog post about it yet. Maybe they are trying to keep it "quiet" lol!
:rotfl:If anyone is on the internet today, they are aware this is happening. LOL

Anyone want to make a bet that you will many more handicap plates in the resort parking lots ?

Official info straight from a Disney CM RE: Disabled Guest Parking and the new Fee

To avoid the fee for the parking, you can register your car with security or front desk. You must have a valid disabled parking placard to park in the accessible parking areas. As long as you do this, there will be no parking fee charged to the guest(s).

Wow!! I never thought I would say this but it looks like Disney has finally reached the breaking point with us. As a frequent visitor to Disney you come to expect prices increases every year with the cost of a hotel room, theme park tickets, dining plan. Each year it was getting harder and harder for us to justify the cost increases considering what you were getting for the money. Now another $19.00 a night to park our car at the resort, that's the last straw. Looks like this trip coming up in December is the last. I have already sent an email to guest services and hope everyone else does the same.

Agree...like I said earlier, as a DVC member, it won't affect me. But, I think Disney needs to do away with some of the ridiculous discounts they do like Free Dining before they begin fee-ing everyone to death. I've complained about paying for parking at Universal on top of the room rate, and Disney doing it doesn't change my opinion.

Sure, you have to pay in cities to park...because there is limited parking. Disney doesn't have that problem, folks. Just because you're used to HAVING to pay for parking, doesn't make it right or acceptable.
And the fact that you are paying crazy prices to stay at that resort PLUS insane prices to go play in their parks just adds more insult to injury. Honestly I don’t know when enough will be enough for Disney execs.

I'm not defending this decision (nor do I like it as we typically do have a car during our WDW vacations), however it is a great business decision by Disney. WDW wants to hold you captive on property so they get more of your money, they don't want you to easily be able to drive off property for non-WDW food or to visit Universal and spend your money there. They are hoping more people decide NOT to bring a car and they have now made it easier to get around WDW property with the Minnie Van service for those people who don't like dealing with the buses. So basically they are trying to recoup some of the money they lose from people who bring a car and eat off property of leave WDW property to visit another tourist attraction. This is clearly not a popular decision so it will be interesting to see how it affects attendance and if they end up losing more money on guests who simply give up and decide not to visit at all.
Indeed, it's smart of them! I'm still pissed though!

Official info straight from a Disney CM RE: Disabled Guest Parking and the new Fee

To avoid the fee for the parking, you can register your car with security or front desk. You must have a valid disabled parking placard to park in the accessible parking areas. As long as you do this, there will be no parking fee charged to the guest(s).

I don't understand why - disabled passes have to pay at the park. I have a pass myself and I don't agree with this. I think you are right and there will be an influx now. Yeesh, this is really disheartening.

Didn't read the whole thread so maybe these issues have need addressed. We go in Oct but booked last Nov., will we be charged?

We're at Board Walk on rented DVC points, will we be charged?

One in our party has a Pa Disabled Parking tag, will this be honored?

Bill From PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter