Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
::yes:: That's the thing... For now there's still some magic, but the way they've been chipping away at it, what does the future hold? It's like they don't understand/remember/care about (??) the unique Disney foundations on which this was all built and if the foundations get shaky...

It's not just about money - it's about respect for your Guests/customers - it's about pride in your work and what you're selling - it's about recognizing that the little things not only add up (when you remove or add them), but, even on their own, can have a disproportionately big impact.

When you cut the quality of food, but charge more for it.
When you suddenly make resorts dog-friendly; reassure people with a list of rules; but then don't enforce them consistently.
When your neighbors smoke on the balcony in a non-smoking resort and you're the ones who have to waste your holiday time moving rooms.
When parks are busier than ever, but ride capacity is reduced.
When CSR and CBR become building sites and POR suddenly becomes dog-friendly - all at the same time.
When you put cabanas in Tomorrowland! o_O:D

I can't believe I'm writing this about Disney.

Not all placards include this information nor are plates required. Kentucky placards do not have a photo attached anywhere nor on the official documentation from the clerk’s office. My mom has a placard but not the plate. It would actually be fairly easy for someone to do. I would never do it because, as you say, it is illegal and taking up a space for someone who really needs it.

I never knew some states had a photo on a placard. Texas doesn't.

What I’ve sent in.

Just a complaint about the new hotel parking fees - very disappointed in this decision. Disney used to have a perceived value and distinction over the other theme parks. But with all the changes in the past few years including this most recent change, I feel that the once perceived value and distinction that set Disney apart is slowly eroding away. Sorry to say that the next Orlando vacation we book won’t be at Disney. Time to try something else now that they are all pretty much the same.

Regards,
Marcy

Haven't read this entire thread so its possible somebody already asked this question....
Why didn't they just (quietly) increase room rates? Would anybody have noticed? If they wanted to earn $x revenue per resort from this parking fee they could instead have just increased the room rate. Yes, not everybody is going to park a car overnight. So, instead of charging those with a car say $20 a night at a resort that typically has 50% of its guests with a car they could have just raised the nightly room rate by $10 across the board. Nobody would be the wiser.
From what I’ve read in this thread they just recently did raise the room rates so this is on top of that

Haven't read this entire thread so its possible somebody already asked this question....
Why didn't they just (quietly) increase room rates? Would anybody have noticed? If they wanted to earn $x revenue per resort from this parking fee they could instead have just increased the room rate. Yes, not everybody is going to park a car overnight. So, instead of charging those with a car say $20 a night at a resort that typically has 50% of its guests with a car they could have just raised the nightly room rate by $10 across the board. Nobody would be the wiser.
Because they just did that a few weeks ago. Seriously. And for the reasons PPs said as well.

I think what Disney is doing is wrong but let's face it they really don't care what anybody thinks about this because they know people will keep going and there will always be people who will stay on property and pay the parking fee. That being said it makes me sad that the "magic" is slowly being replaced by greed.

What I’ve sent in.

Just a complaint about the new hotel parking fees - very disappointed in this decision. Disney used to have a perceived value and distinction over the other theme parks. But with all the changes in the past few years including this most recent change, I feel that the once perceived value and distinction that set Disney apart is slowly eroding away. Sorry to say that the next Orlando vacation we book won’t be at Disney. Time to try something else now that they are all pretty much the same.

Regards,
Marcy

Lol exactly by their reasoning “ industry standards “ just makes them no real stand out from universal ... all they have managed is some families that drive and stay for breaks on parking will now really look at universal and their nice resorts and FOTL pass that comes as a perk for their resorts as a real competition... no doubt that will occur .. Disney “ magic” can only go so far while someone is basically robbing you ...

Geez folks....technology is an amazing thing. A couple of responses to a few points...

1. "How will they know when my reservation was made?" Simple...technology. As soon as your reservation pops up, their computer systems can tell EXACTLY when your reservation was made..right down to the minute/second. If it was made after March 21st, the IT system will know and will automatically assess a parking charge. This isn't even something the cast member will have to punch in...the computer will automatically have it on file.

2. "How will they know the difference between "overnight guests", "day guests", "uber/taxi", etc?" Simple...the same as nearly every other parking system works in the US. If you have a reservation, you check in at the gate when you enter (either by magic band, or manually with the gate attendant). If you have a reservation, your parking charge is automatically billed to your portfolio for the length of your stay. If you say you are being dropped off and you don't have a car, or you have a dinner reservation, or you're just there to shop and explore the resort, etc...the driver is issued a time-stamped ticket that he/she will have to present when leaving the resort. If your ticket shows you're over whatever allotted time, YOU ARE CHARGED FOR PARKING. If you lie up front about just being a day guest, you'll get busted when you attempt to leave the parking lot a few days later, and you'll pay for parking before you're able to exit. Again, this really isn't that hard to figure out.

So in order to to do this they will have to have attendants handling cash and credit cards at the booths so people can pay if they are over their time allotment.

Total for stay:$2,958.75 then add $10 a night for parking.

So it would make no sense for me to change from CBR to that when my room is only costing 2621. add in the 140 if i had a car there it would still be less.

We're planning on a cheaper time of year and I know it isn't exactly apples-to-apples because other resorts have discounts out now while Disney's won't come until later, but the rates I'm finding are a HUGE gap. These are the rates, inclusive of any resort fee but not including parking, for Aug 30 to Sept 5. If I saw a parking fee, it is in parenthesis.

Best Western, $754.83
Wyndham Garden, $810.67
Hilton Lake Buena Vista, $845.10 ($18 parking)
Doubletree Suites, $903.85 ($22 parking) (suite)
Holiday Inn, $984.03 (free parking pkg)
Hilton Buena Vista Palace, $1007.10 ($10 parking)
B Resort, $1206.33 ($22 parking)
Disney's Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs, $1482.78 ($19 parking)
Disney's Port Orleans, aka the "not a construction site" moderate, $1577.26 ($19 parking)

Incidentally, most of these resorts offer bigger rooms and/or more amenities than Disney's resorts.

I'm always amazed at the people who never seem to vacation anywhere else. We are not beach people either, but by gosh there's a whole world out there to see. There is more to the world than theme parks.
I wasn’t implying we only travel to theme parks, but WHEN we decide to visit theme parks for a week, Disney is still in our opinion still the best option. Six Flags is terrible, will never step foot in another after my last experience. Some Cedar Fair parks are ok for a day, not a week long vacation. And Universal, while great parks, do not have the resort/dining options available at Disney that turn a week long trip to theme parks into a week long magical experience. Also, I think the parking fee sucks too, just not going to let $14-24 a night change my idea of a good time, may just stay one day less if money becomes an issue.

They just did raise them a few weeks ago.

Best Western, $754.83

Incidentally, most of these resorts offer bigger rooms and/or more amenities than Disney's resorts.

I stay at the BWLBVR for at least a night when I go to Disney. Not wanting to pay $550 when Im arriving at 4pm to FL makes sense to stay here for $100 the first night, then leave early morning to Disney. They do have a resort fee of $13 which includes parking.

Our last visit, late March 2017, prices were so high at Disney we cut our stay down to 8 days instead of our usual 11 - 12. It would have cost us $1050 per night for each night after 8, for hotel, tickets, dining for our family of 3.

For $1400 total, we stayed at the Best Western for 4 nights, tickets to Discovery Cove (which included dolphin swim and 14 day passes to Sea World and Aquatica Water Park) plus our meals. The room was 1.5 the size of our room at the Yacht Club. Pool was all but deserted, hotel had full service restaurant, game room, quick serve food counter. It was a 5 minute walk to Disney Springs and in theother direction, a 5 minute walk to many many chain / local restaurants. They offered free shuttle service to the parks and Disney springs every 15 - 30 minutes depending on the time of day. Our room / balcony had views of the Epcot fireworks nightly.

I honestly dont see any difference staying here and staying at a mod or value..the rooms are bigger and better and the location/distance to the parks is the same. EMH and the dining package would be my only consideration, but EMH is a joke now and Ive done the math once, and we actually lose on the deluxe dining package (not sure about regular or quick). So unless I go deluxe for the extreme convenience of getting around park to park and get the dining package to not have a bill at the end of the trip, I would definitely stay off site on Hotel Blvd....especially Best Western.

We're planning on a cheaper time of year and I know it isn't exactly apples-to-apples because other resorts have discounts out now while Disney's won't come until later, but the rates I'm finding are a HUGE gap. These are the rates, inclusive of any resort fee but not including parking, for Aug 30 to Sept 5. If I saw a parking fee, it is in parenthesis.

Best Western, $754.83
Wyndham Garden, $810.67
Disney's Port Orleans, aka the "not a construction site" moderate, $1577.26 ($19 parking)

The fact that they're charging that for Caribbean Beach right now is absurd. I wouldn't pay the $19 parking fee to stay there, let alone the other $1482.78. It is one giant construction site.

so last august, i would have had to pay an additional $576.00 to park our rental car at SSR during our stay?
If you stayed for 24 nights and are not a DVC member, yes.
That will only last until they have to close WDW due to lack of patronage.
Realistically, not happening.

Toys R Us would be a great example.
::yes:: And Sears, to a lesser degree. TrU is a much better example than malls. Malls charge rent, bo don't set (or have any say in) retail prices.

I think what it comes down to is eroding good will towards Disney (the corporation) from its base. Many of us here have felt this increasing over the last five or so years and it's a matter of when, not if, this will finally hit them in patronage.

Personally, I was going to go back this year, but now? not without some added value since the prices have sharply increased across the board. I already chose not to renew my AP...

Edited to add:
they're going to have to discount a lot until SW: GE opens, IMO, anyway. Almost all of the casual disney-goers I know are "waiting" until it opens to do their family's once in a lifetime trip.

People keep talking about the craziness that will come when SW:GE opens, but I feel like that may very well be counting chickens before they hatch on Disney's part. There are early signs of stress in the U.S. economy already and we're pushing the limits of how long a cyclical "up" is likely to last even absent any major stressors. Without getting into politics, I'll just say that there are several very probable stressors on the horizon in terms of budget and policy decisions. Quite a few economic models are forecasting our next recession to come right around or just after the time SW:GE is expected to open. And if WDW goes into that riding a two-year run of increasingly frequent price hikes, new fees and add-on costs, and dwindling customer goodwill they may find themselves in trouble.

I'm always amazed at the people who never seem to vacation anywhere else. We are not beach people either, but by gosh there's a whole world out there to see. There is more to the world than theme parks.

Yeah, but Disney prices aside most of that world is a lot more expensive to get to than central FL. That's why we go as often as we do - because as a family of five it is airfare/transportation costs, not resort prices, that tend to be the limiting factor on our trips. I've flown into MCO for as little as $60pp r/t. My son was torn between Disney with his SO or Hawaii with just the family for his graduation trip, and airfare alone for the Hawaii option would have cost as much as our whole two-room/deluxe dining Disney trip with his SO.

Best Western, $754.83
Wyndham Garden, $810.67

I've stayed in most of them ...
- What is your group makeup?
- Will you be using your pool/amenities much?
- Will you be taking breaks for naps etc?

I've stayed in most of them ...
- What is your group makeup?
- Will you be using your pool/amenities much?
- Will you be taking breaks for naps etc?

Me and three kids, all girls, ages 17, 17, and 10 at the time of travel. The pool might get used because it is a hot time of year but only if it is open early/late; we no longer factor in Disney resort pools because we're rope-drop-to-EMH-close park people and the Disney feature pools are never open when we're at our resort. And we never take breaks at the room; we tend to use leisurely late-afternoon meals as our break from the parks/heat rather than traveling back to our hotel.

Additional factor: I'm an AP holder, so if we do have a car I don't have to worry about theme park parking costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter