Disney's GoldenOak Residential Area announced

Not sure I'd buy a real home built by Disney. Not the best track record there!

Wish I could buy one but that is way out of our price range~even in 25 years still wouldn't fit our budget!

Not sure I'd buy a real home built by Disney. Not the best track record there!

Let's just hope they choose a better builder this time, yes?

My mom and stepdad lived in one of the original "show" homes at Country Walk...it was one of the only ones left standing after Andrew, since they'd used REAL nails in it, not finish nails! Of course they'd moved to VA the year before, but they got pictures from their friends who lost their homes thanks to the builder....

$25K to get on the waiting list . . . refundable, of course.

I need some rich relative I've never heard of to die.

C'mon Obama...where's my stimulus money so I can buy a house here?! Maybe I can get a sweetheart deal like certain politicians did through Countrywide? :lmao:

I wonder if they'll take no money down, .00000005% interest rate and I'll pay $99/month? :rotfl2:

I'm in for one! I'll be happy to put down 1/2 of 1%, with monthly payments exceeding my income, on a variable rate. I've always got the taxpayers of America to bail me out if need be. Let's do it!

(on a serious note, if I thought there was a tiny chance of being able to afford one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It's what I've always wanted...I have been trying to get Disney to sell me one of the 2-bedroom DVC units for years - just give me the permanent key card, wipe that room off the reservations list, and make it mine. A gorgeous luxury house on Disney property sounds like the lottery dream for me - but the price is more than double my budget just for the entry levels...so it'll have to stay a dream. Or win the lottery. Or pull an Anna Nicole move in reverse...any obsenely rich 90-something year old women with noone to leave their money to looking for a young trophy husband?

Didn't you hear what happened with Celebration? It didn't take off the way they planned. The schools turned out to be open to any student in the area, not just Celebration, and the Celebration students, some had to go to other schools. Then the final straw was when Disney put it up for sale. They put their town up for sale...they didn't want the responsibility of it anymore. I am not sure if it was ever taken over by anyone.

No, Disney isn't meant to be in the Real Estate Community business. They can stick to entertainment

Yep they did sell it.. here is a blub from the article..

In 2004, the Disney Company sold the 16-acre town center to Lexin Capital, a private real estate investment company.

I would not want to spend millions for a home or condo thinking it was thru Disney then they sell it out from under me.. no way. Their track record isn't very good when it comes to actual planned communities.

They started up Country Walk Estates in Miami in the 80s. Hired a builder who then chose to use finish nails in their homes instead of REAL nails, among other horrid building practices. Which caused the entire development to be absolutely flattened, apart from a home here and there (like I mentioned, the "show" homes built early on with proper material), after Hurricane Andrew. For hurricane-safer homes, that was absolutely unexpected. Huge lawsuit against the builder. Since Disney had gotten out of it after the design phase, they managed to keep their names out of the lawsuit, and the owners got about 20K each on top of what their insurance covered...you can imagine how much MORE they would have gotten if Disney's name was allowed to be mentioned in court, and if they'd been one of the defendants.

That's why I hope they choose a better builder this time, one who can use materials that stand half a chance of standing up to a hurricane just a BIT better than those in Country Walk Estates.

Didn't you hear what happened with Celebration? It didn't take off the way they planned. The schools turned out to be open to any student in the area, not just Celebration, and the Celebration students, some had to go to other schools. Then the final straw was when Disney put it up for sale. They put their town up for sale...they didn't want the responsibility of it anymore. I am not sure if it was ever taken over by anyone.

No, Disney isn't meant to be in the Real Estate Community business. They can stick to entertainment

In 2004, the Disney Company sold the 16-acre town center to Lexin Capital, a private real estate investment company.

I would not want to spend millions for a home or condo thinking it was thru Disney then they sell it out from under me.. no way. Their track record isn't very good when it comes to actual planned communities.

Aha, so there's another reason!

Aha, so there's another reason!
yep... they are not known for their planned communities.. as much as everyone loves Disney, it is the entertainment that they love, not the business aspects of building, buying, and selling homes or towns :scared1:

Will these homes truly be on WDW property or will they/have they already de-annexed the land.

Because wouldn't more people living within the Reedy Creek Improvement District mess up the carefully arrange government structure?

Sadly, I believe this will be the beginning of the end of the magic. When you put people on the property who own the property, nothing but trouble comes. I can hear headlines “The homeowners have complained about the noise levels in the evening. To avoid any lawsuits, Disney World will no longer have fireworks, or any shows that can be heard from 1/4 of a mile away.”

Come on Disney, we come 3 times a year for “the magic”. Part of that magic is that Disney World is unobtainable and not controlled by some hot shot with 8 million dollars in his/her bank account and no love for Disney.

Sadly, I believe this will be the beginning of the end of the magic. When you put people on the property who own the property, nothing but trouble comes. I can hear headlines “The homeowners have complained about the noise levels in the evening. To avoid any lawsuits, Disney World will no longer have fireworks, or any shows that can be heard from 1/4 of a mile away.”

Come on Disney, we come 3 times a year for “the magic”. Part of that magic is that Disney World is unobtainable and not controlled by some hot shot with 8 million dollars in his/her bank account and no love for Disney.

Thats why I made my comment about de-annexing the land. If you have never seen this Wikipedia article it really sheds some light on how things work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_Creek_Improvement_District#Governance

To some extent I agree, but it could be that I'm a wee bit jaded b/c I don't have $20 mil sitting in the bank I can use to buy in. :goodvibes

But it would be nice to dream.

They started up Country Walk Estates in Miami in the 80s. Hired a builder who then chose to use finish nails in their homes instead of REAL nails, among other horrid building practices. Which caused the entire development to be absolutely flattened, apart from a home here and there (like I mentioned, the "show" homes built early on with proper material), after Hurricane Andrew. For hurricane-safer homes, that was absolutely unexpected. Huge lawsuit against the builder. Since Disney had gotten out of it after the design phase, they managed to keep their names out of the lawsuit, and the owners got about 20K each on top of what their insurance covered...you can imagine how much MORE they would have gotten if Disney's name was allowed to be mentioned in court, and if they'd been one of the defendants.

That's why I hope they choose a better builder this time, one who can use materials that stand half a chance of standing up to a hurricane just a BIT better than those in Country Walk Estates.

Oh my!!:eek: I didn't know that about Celebration! I remember visiting there with my family when they were still building the homes and my parents were considering buying a small home. They ended up deciding against it because of the price.....good thing they did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter