Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to work the mini refrigerator in the rooms? I am not sure which way the dial is to be turned to make it colder?

The 1 bus an hour to HS and Epcot, when SkyLiner is running had me thinking, does that mean a dedicated (same) bus basically just go back and forth from POP and HS and another dedicated bus just going back and forth to Epcot?

Not necessarily. Actually, not likely. It takes much less than an hour for a round trip.
Exactly! That’s what got me thinking about pickup to/from the POP to those parks. Your right, it should take considerably less than an hour round trip, which made me wonder how the do it? Does the bus that’s dropping off at the park, just not load up and leave? If so, does another bus show up a little later to pick people up at the park, return to the POP, reload, return to the park and just leave? I’d imaging that the the bus returning from the park and just leaving (not reloading) the POP would upset people waiting in line?

Exactly! That’s what got me thinking about pickup to/from the POP to those parks. Your right, it should take considerably less than an hour round trip, which made me wonder how the do it? Does the bus that’s dropping off at the park, just not load up and leave? If so, does another bus show up a little later to pick people up at the park, return to the POP, reload, return to the park and just leave? I’d imaging that the the bus returning from the park and just leaving (not reloading) the POP would upset people waiting in line?
If it were me managing the bus operations, I wouldn't want to rely on schedules to most efficiently manage my resources, and I wouldn't literally have individual buses dedicated to individual resorts. I'd equip each bus with a small wirelessly networked computer and screen that directed each bus as they dropped off guests to the pickup location for the next resort-to-park route that was needed. For instance, as the bus drops off POP Century guests at HS, if there's a POFQ-to-MK bus that needs to leave in 15 minutes, the bus would then be directed to pick up POFQ guests at HS. The backup system for the computer system would be a radio dispatcher who was very, very overworked. Such a system would more elegantly absorb the impact of breakdowns and other problems experienced by an individual bus during operation. The (nervous) breakdown of the radio dispatcher, sadly, would be inevitable.

This system would have the further benefit that you might as well display a small subset of this dispatch system at the parks and resorts, and even MDE ... Which is exactly what they have. Further, as there's no point to dispatching drivers to or from Skyliner, there'd be no point to having Skyliner operating hours in the dispatch system, which just might explain the lack of the Skyliner schedule being accessible electronically. (Though it's an oversight that could and should be manually remedied.)

But that's just how I'd do it with a computer science mindset. No idea how it's actually done.

which made me wonder how the do it? Does the bus that’s dropping off at the park, just not load up and leave?
According to the bus drivers on the transportation board, each bus has a "base" park but a variety of resorts. So a bus might pick up at Pop, drop off at Epcot, pick up there for Coronado Springs, drop off at Epcot, pick up at the same time and head to AKL...

According to the bus drivers on the transportation board, each bus has a "base" park but a variety of resorts. So a bus might pick up at Pop, drop off at Epcot, pick up there for Coronado Springs, drop off at Epcot, pick up at the same time and head to AKL...

Thanks, that makes since and I probably shoulda remembered that last night. Does make sense for them to dispatch the bus driver to a different resort from the park and not from the resort. I’d imagine the a large number of SkyLiner resort guests, possibly even a majority, don‘t even realize that the HS/Epcot busses run at a reduced rate when they first arrive at the resort. It would really be interesting to see the how full those buses are when the buses are running.

Staying in a few weeks. Anyone been within the past few weeks that can comment on bus versus car for HS? We have a 8 am park opening that day, and was planning on driving there (we have a car). However, I’ve been reading horror stories about the back up just getting into the park and then long lines for buses. I know we just need to be inside the park prior to 8 for a chance at a boarding pass, but I need to get a plan in place in my head for the best transportation option. Thanks!

Staying in a few weeks. Anyone been within the past few weeks that can comment on bus versus car for HS? We have a 8 am park opening that day, and was planning on driving there (we have a car). However, I’ve been reading horror stories about the back up just getting into the park and then long lines for buses. I know we just need to be inside the park prior to 8 for a chance at a boarding pass, but I need to get a plan in place in my head for the best transportation option. Thanks!

We're staying at AOA, but my plan is to be out at the buses between 6:30-6:45 for at least the first 2-3 times we try for a boarding group. I don't want to take a chance on not getting on one of the first couple buses that come and I'm sure the lines will be long if we wait until closer to 7. They'll probably be significant before that, too, but at least we'll have plenty of time. That's my plan. If you're comfortable driving, you might want to go that route. I know I saw pics from Touring Plans about the line of cars this morning and it was a little scary to me, but at the same time I know they were able to get in and park without a problem.

Can you still order just the family pizza and not the whole meal? If so, does anyone know how much it is now? The current menu on the website only lists the meal

As @Iowamomof4 shared, buses are a good option, especially if you can be at the Pop bus stop between 6:30 and 6:45.

Personally, if I had a car and was hoping to rope drop one of the main attractions (MMRR, SDD or MFSR) I would take the car and plan to leave Pop at 6:00. Yes, that's verrrry early but for the sake of 30 mins I'd rather get there, get in line and to the front of the line for the attraction I'm hoping to rope drop. I'd much rather spend 90 mins in line before the park is open and get on a ride shortly after the park opens than wait 90 mins after the park is open and miss the shorter lines at other attractions.

As @Iowamomof4 shared, buses are a good option, especially if you can be at the Pop bus stop between 6:30 and 6:45.

Personally, if I had a car and was hoping to rope drop one of the main attractions (MMRR, SDD or MFSR) I would take the car and plan to leave Pop at 6:00. Yes, that's verrrry early but for the sake of 30 mins I'd rather get there, get in line and to the front of the line for the attraction I'm hoping to rope drop. I'd much rather spend 90 mins in line before the park is open and get on a ride shortly after the park opens than wait 90 mins after the park is open and miss the shorter lines at other attractions.
I vote take the car and leave early too. That way you are in control and not at the mercy of the buses.

We don't go for another 62 days but our plan is to drive. We're not planning on rope dropping but just getting a boarding group. We'll probably aim to leave an hour and a half before opening since we will have a double stroller and lots of bags. If we run low on time we can leave that stuff in the car and go back for it after we have a boarding group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter