do you regret buying into DVC or are you happy?

For us we didn't regret it, but have had enough. Does that make sense? We used our membership for 5 years and now we have just sold. I just had enough of having some "not up to par" rooms and making excuses for it when I feel it is too early in the game to have this. I do feel, I know I am in the minority, that if you pay cash you are better heard if there is a problem. I have also stayed in regular deluxe rooms and not had as many cleanliness problems as I have with DVC. Again it is just my opinion. My kids are getting older and although we will still go to WDW every few years instead of multiple trips per year, we also now go to Universal for the thrill rides. In my opinion, Portifino Bay is much nicer than any of the properties on site at WDW. The room was immaculate and the property was very kept up. I do not like Universal better than WDW as far as the parks, but the hotel was nicer, again it's my opinion. I know this is not a very popular opinion, especially here. I do not love WDW any less because I chose to sell, but I wanted to sell while I could and while DVC was still as popular. It was sad for me to pay a monthly assessment and not have a clean room, many times, or not have trash/towel when I was supposed to, etc. Again, I could go get my own towels/dump my own trash, but that isn't the point. I was tired of making excuses when things weren't quite right. I'm glad we did it (DVC) but I am also glad to now be out of it. We didn't sell to get rid of a payment either as our DVC was bought with cash. You will know the right decision for your family. I just thought I would give you another perspective.

Thank you very much for having the guts to post a less than popular opinion here on the Dis.

It really helps to hear every side of the story. There are many more out there just like you that have sold for a variety of reasons. Heck, just check out how many listings our sponsor has at any one time and that is only one resale place. (albeit the best and biggest)

Therer ARE people aout there unhappy with DVC and those that regret purchasing. You just won't find many here.

We became members nearly 6 years ago and my only regret was not buying more points when they were 72 or was it 71 dollars a point.

No doubt.. :rolleyes: Even our last two add-on's were when points were less than $70.. Back then, DVC allowed you to rent your first years' points back to them for the down payment..

Now DW is getting giddy about AKV, and I am getting heartburn... ;)

Very happy here, should have bought sooner.

Best vacation decision we ever made...hands down! You are right to ask all of your questions...ask and read and research before you make the commitment.

Biggest regret is not buying in 1996 when we saw the infomercial on the wdw tvs.

Proud owners for 6 years now and it was definately one of the best decisions we ever made. We love planning ahead and I now have 2007 all planned our and reservations made. We love our DVC!

We are very happy with our purchase. We do regret not buying sooner because we could have enjoyed so many more vacations, and at a lesser per pt. price. But we are making up for it as much as we can now. We wouldnt/ couldnt be able to afford or make ourselves go on more than 1 trip a year to anywhere were it not for DVC.

Granted we have changed the way we go now. Not flying saves $$ but we get to stay longer. We dont buy the souvenirs like we used too, but we still enjoy looking at them. We recently began to enjoy cooking some in the room. Saves $$, but we still enjoy eating at our favs while there. We dont get into the parks near as early and dont stay near as late as we used too. In other words we dont commando anymore.

We stop and smell the roses. We relax. If I were staying at a value or moderate with DW and 2 teens in tow, wouldnt be room to relax much. Not knocking any of those resorts, but I can tell you from experience, and this is recent, we like to start our trips couple days early and dont mind staying for a couple days in a value or a moderate, but 2 days is a plenty. Especially if you arent going like wildcats!

So yes, we are very pleased with our purchase.

Thank you very much for having the guts to post a less than popular opinion here on the Dis.

It really helps to hear every side of the story. There are many more out there just like you that have sold for a variety of reasons. Heck, just check out how many listings our sponsor has at any one time and that is only one resale place. (albeit the best and biggest)

Therer ARE people aout there unhappy with DVC and those that regret purchasing. You just won't find many here.

I felt the need to respond to the resale thing. Dont get me wrong, I think resales are great, and its good to know these companies are there in case I need to sell. I feel good about the resale values holding so strong. There are what I consider 3 main DVC re-salers in the market. Each time I look at whats available, I see what I feel is just a handful of re-sales out there, that is in comparison to the 100,000 plus members that are around the globe. Just tossing a number, but I would say there are maybe 75 re-sales currently available to the 100,000 plus contracts out there. I wouldnt say that is many.

Not trying to start a arguement or anything. Just felt a comparison needed to be made. Besides, us DVCers will defend to the bitter end;)

Good luck and pixie dust in your decision!

Actually I still occasionally hang out on this board. Just because I sold, doesn't mean I don't love WDW. She asked for both sides so that is why I wrote. Again, just my opinion which she can take or leave but as always, there is two sides to every coin, DVC included.

Wilderness - I was wondering what you were doing hanging around with no DVC contract! Did you cut your member card up when you sold? ;) Really, thanks for posting, I like hearing all sides and opinions. :goodvibes I didn't think we would get any detractors other then Dumbo.

We stayed at the BC last April, which cost a small fortune not being DVC members, The look on my daughters face at MK she was 2 at the time, I knew right then that we would be spending many years at WDW, It was the easiest decision we've ever made.

I just wish I had not waited so long to buy. My point price was high. I looked at it by video when it first came out, but decided to wait. One of my concerns was what would I do with the extra points if we did not go that year, I did not know about the disboards. I have learned a lot this last year, even though I became a disboards member in 2004, I rarely logged on.

Happy campers over here! We love our DVC! Just wish we could find a pile of money to buy even more points! :teeth:

-Michelle

P.S. We bought BWV in 1998 at $64 a point.... ahhh... those were the days! Where's the way-back machine when you need one!? I would love to add-on at that price!!!

Absolutely no regrets. We didn't buy in '96, maybe we should have, but we're glad we jumped aboard in '03! We did 2 European cruises and bought the Cape May property between the 2 DVC "look-ats." I'm glad things turned out as great as they have.:yay:

We've stayed at a Hilton Vacation Club property, and now a Marriott Vacation Club property in Orlando. They are nice and have their strong points, but for both of us, it's being at WDW that is the selling point.

We also have VB points, and neither of us regret buying those either. It's a resort that fits. DH likes to go there and just relax, I like to go there and just "BE" oceanside. The house in Cape May NJ, is not on the water, and VB takes care of the part of me that really wishes we owned oceanfront property.

Bobbi:)

Very Happy here in NJ. Years of great disney vacations plus the added bonus of telling my DH I was right. Weeee!!

Why oh why did I not buy sooner?? We could have saved Thousands......

But we are in now ( since 05) and Glad

tobi:confused3

For me, I should have bought it a year beforehand when I did the tour. I got cold feet. I could have gotten no closing costs and a cheaper point rate a year ago.

Search and read these boards so that you are an educated consumer. Understand banking, borrowing, the points system, the home reservation advantage, buy where you want to stay, etc.

Should you decide to buy:
Consider making several contracts instead of one big contract. It will be easier to sell off, and/or give to your heirs. So, if you want 300 points, possibly do 2-150 contracts if you have two kids. Mega-sized contracts take longer to sell and for fewer dollars per point as compared to smaller contracts which go faster and for a higher point price. You may opt to keep one and sell the other in financial hard times and if other circumstances change.

Also, look at the points charts on these boards and see when and where you want to stay as well as what room. DH just decided he is a 2-bedroom man instead of the one-bedroom we figured on always getting, so we had to do an add-on.

Grill your guide on the issues that concern you. They will answer all your questions. But read up on here first.

We had taken several trips to WDW and were trying to figure out how we possibly could go more often. DW asked, quite innocently, "Well, what's the deal with the Disney Vacation Club?" I immediately shot down the idea ("too expensive," "people will think we are nuts"), but kept coming to the boards and other WDW sites researching.....

Needless to say, 3 DVC trips in one year later (all on only 150 points!), we could not be happier with our SSR purchase! We bought sight unseen, and don't regret it for a second! Could the cash that we spent up front been used for several WDW trips? Absolutely, but we figure now that we wil hit the "break even" point within the next 2-3 years, then the "savings" will really begin. (In truth, we will be spending quite a bit of $ on flights, food, tickets, etc.)

WDW truly feels like "home" to us....wonderful memories and wonderful relaxation.....now the only question is whether to add on at SSR or buy some points at AKV:) !

Why oh why did I not buy sooner?? We could have saved Thousands......

But we are in now ( since 05) and Glad

tobi:confused3

That is us as well! Had we bought when we first heard of it ....hmmm don't even want to think of it!!!

We LOVE our DVC points!!! We own in 2 resorts, Beach Club and Saratoga. We travel to Disney a couple times a year and take my parents. It is so nice to be able to tell my parents they don't have to worry about the cost of a room. I would like to get more points once I have these paid off. Now that my kids are older we will be able to offer a Disney vacation as long as they paid for their food and transportation.

I am a DVC Junkie!!

No, I haven't cut up my DVC card. I will keep it and put it in the scrapbook, whenever I ever do that scrapbook!;) Seriously, like I said, it was good for awhile but for us it was time to move on. We always stay Deluxe so we can stay in bigger accomodations vs a tiny room. I know it won't be as big, but that is ok. I don't cook on vacation so I don't use the kitchen and the last time I hated the stackable washer/dryer. I have a front loader at my house and I hated the way my clothes (brand new by the way) looked after using that machine. They looked older than they were with wear and tear from that aggitator thing in the middle. That is another thread though right? LOLpopcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter