Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

When we were buying some points a few months ago, our guide told us that the minimum direct purchase for perks was going to be going up to 75-100- so we should act soon. So, he was right there. What worries me is that he may be right about the next part of what he said. He said that after they bump the minimum buy-in (this one), they were going to set the stage for moving to a new system (going into effect after a couple of years) that would not allow anyone with less than 100-150 direct points have the perks regardless of when they purchased. Since it would be a brand new system, they would not grandfather anyone and the old (current) perk system would just go away.

When we first heard about these upcoming changes we thought it was just the guide encouraging us to buy more. Seems like he may have known this was coming.

The one weird thing about this rumor, while it may still be true, is why would someone be telling a guide what is coming 2 years down the line? Guides are kind of at the low end of things, and you would think management would want to see how the current system before committing to something else.
Also, why plan to implement something that would encourage people to spend more money in a couple of years when you could just implement it now? They would risk really ticking off all the people who are working to save $15,000 to pay for the 75 points, plus closing costs, right now just to have them pull the rug under these loyal buyers in just a couple of years. Not sure that would help them sell new contracts. "Hey, we told these people that these were the rules, but then we changed them and stuck it to those folks. Trust us, though, this change is the real one, we just won't sign a contract committing to it..."

We do have membership cards and have attended a couple member events
Then you should be grandfathered in. Anyone who has a membership card qualifies for a enough of a direct purchase under the current rules. A lot of people to date have bought DVC through resale and then added on a 25 point direct contract to qualify for the membership card and perks. But as of the 25th, new owners will be required to have purchased at least 75 points direct for a member card and perks.

The one weird thing about this rumor, while it may still be true, is why would someone be telling a guide what is coming 2 years down the line? Guides are kind of at the low end of things, and you would think management would want to see how the current system before committing to something else.
Also, why plan to implement something that would encourage people to spend more money in a couple of years when you could just implement it now? They would risk really ticking off all the people who are working to save $15,000 to pay for the 75 points, plus closing costs, right now just to have them pull the rug under these loyal buyers in just a couple of years. Not sure that would help them sell new contracts. "Hey, we told these people that these were the rules, but then we changed them and stuck it to those folks. Trust us, though, this change is the real one, we just won't sign a contract committing to it..."
Agreed. Sounds like a guide trying to make a bigger sale.

That's actually not true. With every contract you sign, you also have to sign a sheet that very clearly lays out that your contract in no way is tied to any perks, and that you are only buying ownership in your resort. If they changed booking to 13 months out for 1000 point members, that would be an issue, but they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, with their perks.

The membership extras themselves are always subject to change or to go away completely. The eligibility based on when you bought has already been decided for prior purchasers and is a COMPLETELY SEPARATE ISSUE! When you start introducing new restrictions for current owners, you run into legal trouble as they bought under specific, laid out circumstances. Again, what those perks are can always change. Whether or not you receive them gets messy if you try to exclude prior purchasers, thus the grandfathering. There is a lot of law written regarding timeshares, and I don’t presume to be an expert in that area, but they are held accountable to what’s in our deed. My docs specifically state that any membership extras can change, go away, should not be replied upon, etc., but I am eligible for them, when offered, according to my documents. To change that eligibility retroactively isn’t allowed. Membership extras themselves can always change. Who is eligible has already been decided for prior purchasers. They can change it all going forward if they want for new purchasers.

I am under contract right now and waiting for ROFR to pass. Question- will we be able to access TOTW Lounge at BLT as resale members with the new 2/25 rules going into effect? We're FL Residents and normally have a Tables in Wonderland card so the other perks on discounts doesnt really have an appeal for us.

Now we know why the extra moonlight magic dates this year, making it easy for owners and newbies to buy direct even though most won't be vacationing during the event dates and can't attend.

:earsboy: Bill

I am under contract right now and waiting for ROFR to pass. Question- will we be able to access TOTW Lounge at BLT as resale members with the new 2/25 rules going into effect? We're FL Residents and normally have a Tables in Wonderland card so the other perks on discounts doesnt really have an appeal for us.

Yes. That is paid for with BLT dues and beverage sales. It is not a direct sales perk.

I agree there. Nobody should buy into DVC just for the perks. Those can go away for everybody at any time. If you are still getting a good price via resale, you're still getting a good thing overall.
So if you read my posting history you'll be able to figure out that I'm very pro resale. I've also been quoted as saying many times that one should not buy DVC just for the perks.

That being said, I don't think we have ever been at a point where the difference between buying resale and buying direct anticipating benefits from the perks has been this close. With resale prices being at an all time high, the delta between direct and resale is smaller than it has ever been. So for one planning on purchasing annual passes this year and next, the delta may be approaching zero depending on the resort and contract size.

The bottom line is that people considering purchasing need to forget the mantras of the past and do an honest analysis of their purchase decision to determine the most appropriate course of action. But long gone are the days where people like me (or just me for that matter) will so strongly advocate resale. Well done, Disney. You win as usual. :)

I think the “$260 savings” on annual passes might not be a relevant metric for a lot of buyers anyways.

How many purchasers were already shelling out $800+ for platinum APs before they bought? I would bet not many, certainly not a majority. It’s just another way Disney manages to make you spend more with DVC - have to buy the passes and go more often because it’s a “good deal” :earboy2:
While I don't think any of us can speak to the number of people purchasing annual passes vs. not, the point you make in bold above is very true. It's only a true savings if you're saving money on something you would ordinarily do.

Yes. That is paid for with BLT dues and beverage sales. It is not a direct sales perk.

It is paid for by the owners dues and I guess indirectly with beverage sales maybe. The owners don't get any of the revenue from the beverage and food sales, Disney keeps that, but there is supposed to be a lease between Disney and the BLT owners for use of the lounge space. The lease was between our management company, "Disney" and Disney. Unknown what the terms of the lease are or how much it is worth. If Disney doesn't make enough money there, they will close the bar. That is why the rules were changed to allow all DVC owners access, to increase Disney's bar and food sales.

These changes are not unexpected. DVC is in the business of selling new timeshares and making money off the ongoing O&M of the properties.

Glad I bought re-sale a few years back when they were still handing out blue cards. It is actually shocking that these resale timeshare has gone up in value over the last few years as DVC has jacked up their point costs faster than inflation. I don't see the pricing as sustainable long term, but when it comes down to it the DVC members are a very small portion of the visitors to the site. Disney probably wants higher end/premium buyers going forward who are going to drop money on the rest of their ecosytem, and not the bargain basement resale buyers.

It is paid for by the owners dues and I guess indirectly with beverage sales maybe. The owners don't get any of the revenue from the beverage and food sales, Disney keeps that, but there is supposed to be a lease between Disney and the BLT owners for use of the lounge space. The lease was between our management company, "Disney" and Disney. Unknown what the terms of the lease are or how much it is worth. If Disney doesn't make enough money there, they will close the bar. That is why the rules were changed to allow all DVC owners access, to increase Disney's bar and food sales.

Thanks!

When we were buying some points a few months ago, our guide told us that the minimum direct purchase for perks was going to be going up to 75-100- so we should act soon. So, he was right there. What worries me is that he may be right about the next part of what he said. He said that after they bump the minimum buy-in (this one), they were going to set the stage for moving to a new system (going into effect after a couple of years) that would not allow anyone with less than 100-150 direct points have the perks regardless of when they purchased. Since it would be a brand new system, they would not grandfather anyone and the old (current) perk system would just go away.

When we first heard about these upcoming changes we thought it was just the guide encouraging us to buy more. Seems like he may have known this was coming.

I would feel more comfortable if this information came from a bus driver. :) Seriously, though, there's a chance that what he said is accurate, and there's also a pretty significant chance that it's not. But the fact that right now it's just speculation makes it difficult for me to make any buying decisions based on this.

That's actually not true. With every contract you sign, you also have to sign a sheet that very clearly lays out that your contract in no way is tied to any perks, and that you are only buying ownership in your resort. If they changed booking to 13 months out for 1000 point members, that would be an issue, but they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, with their perks.

While perks are not guaranteed, the fact of the matter is that they are "not guaranteed" for entire classes of membership. Meaning, if they take perks away, they need to take them away from the entire class. Right now there are different classes that included direct purchasers and resale purchasers together, depending on when the resale buyers purchased their contracts. Bifurcating those groups is problematic and potentially illegal. Said another way, I think it's highly likely that Moonlight Magic events cease to exist at some point in the future. I think it's highly unlikely that they exist going forward only for direct purchasers while excluding resale buyers who purchased before the second set of exclusions.

If it's the same Bill that went the extra mile last November to get me 30 points at BLT (December use year) before December, he is the best! If you can, try to send an email to customer service at Disney, telling them what you think of Bill. I did send him an email this morning, saying that I didn't envy him over the next two weeks!

The basis for DVC remains savings on rooms for those who consistently visit WDW and want to stay in deluxe accommodations. As long as the numbers work where it's a savings (and people still want to go to WDW) it should work. Now that also is a reason that DVC/DVD has difficulty with these restrictions. The base is still there with room savings - especially for resale. The perks are just that and won't apply to many and some won't care to pay that extra for them when they might go away. These continual restrictions might make some people question whether they can trust DVC going forward. So far grandfathering softens that but if they eventually move away from that? Why pay more for direct to start?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter