Flight Of Passage For The Easily Queasy

jhaig

Not The First To Pass This Way
So we haven't done FOP yet and probably won't get to until our next trip in 2018. We haven't seen any videos of the ride (on purpose) so we will be surprised when we actually do it. My problem is that there are some in my family, who shall remain nameless, do not do well physically on certain rides. After doing Everest for the first time a couple years ago, they said they were nauseous and just felt "off" for the rest of the day. They didn't enjoy the backwards section of the ride.

Which brings me to my question- is FOP going to be OK for someone who doesn't like rides like Star Tours, Spider-Man, is it more like Soarin, or Soarin on steroids?

I feel "off" from Star Tours and my husband feels "off" from Spider Man. Neither one of us had even a bit of a problem on FoP.

Now, in all fairness, part of that may be because we were so awed by the most amazing thing either of us had ever seen that we didn't notice an "off" feeling.

I think you'll be fine, but believe me, the ride is worth any "off" feeling anyone may get.

FOP in no way had the same effect on you as a roller coaster like Everest. The movements of the seats on FoP are very smooth and slight in the big picture. The vast majority of the “feelings” of movement that you happen are actually done vusually, ie. the way the things in the screen move gives you the feeling of movement without it actually happening physically. There is also a moment about halfway through where everything slows down for a few seconds so that gives you a moment to catch your breath, so to speak, before you continue.

There is also lots of air movement and an incredibly pleasant smell throughout the experience! I hope you love it!

Soarin doesn't bother me a bit, Star Tours makes me a bit queasy but I don't actually throw up. FoP makes me a little less off than Star Tours but I don't walk off it not feeling anything like I do Soarin. I think it might depend on why one gets sick. Soarin is viewed through the naked eye, no glasses. Star Tours and FoP require glasses. There really isn't a lot of motion on FoP and what there is is very gentle and in some cases, very subtle so you almost don't feel it. I'm one of the few who don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread and if my son isn't with me, I skip it. I have a freakishly small head, I have to wear little kids caps. The glasses are way too big for me, to the point that even with my head upright I can't keep them on so I have to ride the ride with one hand holding the glasses on. I wear reading glasses to see close up, you are closer to screen in FoP then you are in Soarin but the distance it just the right distance that it's off for me with glasses on or off. You have to sit up close to the front of the ride vehicle so your sternum is pressed into it. I have bad GERD and am height challenged so it hits me at just the right spot to cause my reflux to act up. All together a very uncomfortable ride for me and not so spectacular that its worth it.

It's Soarin on steroids...powerful steroids. You...uh...some in the family... :D ... may well get queasy. If you can handle Soarin' no problem, I'd guess they'd be fine. If not, maybe something to skip or take motion sickness meds first. The ride doesn't lift you in the air like Soarin' does, but the concept is the same (watching a giant movie that gives sensation of flight).

I have a lot of issues with motion sickness--particularly simulator/combo rides (most at Universal, Star Tours, etc.). I had just a touch of queasiness during FoP, but was able to recover by just closing my eyes for a brief moment. You feel "wind" in your face during FoP, which helped me.

A friend just rode this a few weeks ago and said she was pretty dizzy when she came off of it, but also said it was worth it.

I take Bonine at the parks but still have to avoid certain rides. I'm absolutely fine on Soarin, but I don't do Star Tours because I was told it was very similar to the old Body Wars ride which left me sick for hours. I'm planning to take ODS on FoP next month so I'm hoping to do okay on it, but reports have me a bit nervous.

It's Soarin on steroids...powerful steroids. You...uh...some in the family... :D ... may well get queasy. If you can handle Soarin' no problem, I'd guess they'd be fine. If not, maybe something to skip or take motion sickness meds first. The ride doesn't lift you in the air like Soarin' does, but the concept is the same (watching a giant movie that gives sensation of flight).

Just for the record, I have no nausea issues. I'm the one who usually rides thrill rides by myself. Throw me upside down, inside out, it's all good with me:thumbsup2

I love Soarin', it doesn't typically bother me at all. I can't do Star Tours at all any more - last time I was nauseous the rest of the day. I can do roller coasters if I sit in the front row and watch the track, but I did the Minions ride at US and almost lost the breakfast I hadn't eaten yet.

FoP really bothered me. I did it first thing in the morning, before eating breakfast just in case it did bother me. The seating didn't bother me, I actually thought that was neat - especially when you could feel the banshee breathing. The movement of the ride didn't bother me too much. What really bothered me was the air and mist blowing in my face. I had a minor panic attack in the middle of the ride and couldn't catch my breath. I hate things blowing in my face - even the fog on PoTC/GMR bothers me a little bit. I tried looking away from the screen and that did help a little, but as soon as I felt the breeze and mist, I wanted off. Afterwards, I really thing the extra long exit queue walk helped me calm down. We are heading down next week, and I'm still on the fence about riding it. I got FPs, but DD might be doing it twice.

I think you can watch FoP on YouTube and still feel surprised when you do it. The 3D effect during the ride makes it feel completely different than watching the video. I wish I had watched the video first because there is a lot going on during FoP and I felt I couldn't keep up with it all between the visuals, the motion, the sound and the wind/spray effects. (The wind actually made my ears hurt a little, like when you forget your hat on a cold, windy day.)

So the thing about it is, it feels very 'real' in terms of the experience you are having. So when you 'dive', you will feel like you are falling off a cliff, etc. It's not exactly nausea inducing but more of the 'intense' feeling that a lot of people describe. If you feel uncomfortable at any time during the ride, you just have to look to your left or your right and you will see all of the other people on their vehicles; it will take you out of that 3D experience and reorient you.

I was very worried about this ride and although it was intense, it wasn't too bad. I think I have to go on it again just because I feel that I missed a lot the first time because so much was going on.

I was worried. I had to keep telling myself it was make believe, (I am not going to hit anything), I was worried I would have a heart attack for fear of hitting something, but it was so beautiful, I just had to experience it. I will definitely do it again.:)

I take Bonine for every trip. FOP made me queasy. I am fine on Soarin. FOP was similar to Star Tours and Spiderman. Not as bad as Forbidden Journey. Not as bad as Mission Space (pre-orange...last time I rode).

I take Bonine for every trip. FOP made me queasy. I am fine on Soarin. FOP was similar to Star Tours and Spiderman. Not as bad as Forbidden Journey. Not as bad as Mission Space (pre-orange...last time I rode).

Thanks for posting this! This is exactly what I needed to compare to see if I can do it!
I can do Star Tours and Spiderman, but can't do Forbidden Journey or Mission Space. (I was so dizzy and sick after them.)
So I feel better about being able to try it! I take Bonine for seasickness, but get sooo sleepy with it, so I'm going to try to do without it in the parks.

I rode it a few days ago and did not feel well afterwards. I closed my eyes for most of it and couldn’t wait for it to be over. A shame though because the parts I did see were really cool. I took Bonine and was still queasy. I could only imagine what I would have felt like if I hadn’t taken it. I do fairly well with Soarin and Mission Space Green. But FOP did me in.

I rode it a few days ago and did not feel well afterwards. I closed my eyes for most of it and couldn’t wait for it to be over. A shame though because the parts I did see were really cool. I took Bonine and was still queasy. I could only imagine what I would have felt like if I hadn’t taken it. I do fairly well with Soarin and Mission Space Green. But FOP did me in.
This was my experience too. Much like star tours unfortunately for me. I really really really wanted to love it but didn't feel well after so won't try again. All that said I'm not sorry I tried it. Once.

FOP really doesn't compare to the rides people compare it to. Star Tours physically jerks you around. It can definitely give a queasy feeling. FOP does NOT jerk you around--no queasy feeling. Soarin is for me the scariest ride in WDW. I love it, but I am afraid I'm going to fall out. I always wear the center child strap and hold onto the handles on each side. FOP gives no such sensation. You are obviously NOT going to fall "out" or off of the seat. And if you did, it is no further than falling out of a chair anywhere.

FOP really doesn't compare to the rides people compare it to. Star Tours physically jerks you around. It can definitely give a queasy feeling. FOP does NOT jerk you around--no queasy feeling. Soarin is for me the scariest ride in WDW. I love it, but I am afraid I'm going to fall out. I always wear the center child strap and hold onto the handles on each side. FOP gives no such sensation. You are obviously NOT going to fall "out" or off of the seat. And if you did, it is no further than falling out of a chair anywhere.
FOP may not give you a queasy feeling but it does give some people one, like me. It may not jerk you around but it still makes some people nauseous.

Nope, no, not happening. I just tried to watch one of the Youtube views of FOP and I'm queasy. No FOP for me :sad2:. I guess I am not surprised- I get queasy in Mickey's Philharmagic when Aladdin and Jasmine are flying on the carpet.

Last edited:
I get queasy in Mickey's Philharmagic when Aladdin and Jasmine are flying on the carpet.

Yes, I do too, also on Star Tours. I just close my eyes until the intenseness passes somewhat, then watch again. Wonder if that will work with FOP! Anyone??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter