• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Game of Thrones - Season 8 - NO SPOILERS PLEASE

I've never expected a happy ending. However I'm dubious we'll see an ending with everyone dead.

Personally I've wondered since last season if we will be given a glimpse of Missandei standing at the rail of a ship alongside Ser Davos as it cruises into Naath as part of the finale. I'm torn as to whether or not I think Grey Worm might survive and be sailing with them.

I also think it's significant we were given a glimpse of young Samwell and wonder yet how he may play into what happens in the crypts, or if he will ultimately be more a factor merely in the storyline of the books?

Was it on this thread or one of my other 2 forums about GOT that said they read an article where it's said that none of the actors guessed the ending correctly and many of the fans also have it wrong, very few fans have it right. So whatever theories are least mentioned....that's where we should be looking. Most folks say ALL will die and then another big group has all these happy endings and pairings so I think both are wrong. Many guess Jon or Dany or Sansa on the throne. So they likely won't be.

Jeez, crazy thought but...maybe Jaime was the prince that was promised. He saves the world by having pushed Bran which led to him becoming the 3 eyed raven or whatever he is now and that has led to all the knowledge they need. He was kingslayer killing a mad king and saving the lives of many. Maybe he'll be on the throne with Queen Brienne (though she is a knight now and cannot marry...as is he...or is it the head knight cannot which is what Jaime was?). Or he could be Dany's betrayal for love as he will kill her for his love of Cersei. I hope not that. Could be Cersei remains on the throne. Could be Tyrian. He is my fave choice. With Sansa as his queen maybe. I still wonder if he is really a Targarian. But I assume Bran would have seen that already.

I kind of feel like it will be many rulers, like the spikes on that wheel. We saw many in the war room. It was almost like a council or democracy. Maybe that's the way they'll go. All the Lord/Lady's are equal. Divide into the 7 kingdoms with a ruler for each who all work together on one council. This would fall in line with the happy ending and pairings theories.

Was it on this thread or one of my other 2 forums about GOT that said they read an article where it's said that none of the actors guessed the ending correctly and many of the fans also have it wrong, very few fans have it right.
I mentioned that a few posts ago. I think I read it in the Vanity Fair article that someone posted here.

though she is a knight now and cannot marry...as is he...or is it the head knight cannot which is what Jaime was?
I think the rule was that the King/Queensguard could not marry but that regular knights can.

These are random thoughts that are kind of all over the place...I haven't read the books, unfortunately, so my rambling is less informed. I'm not expecting a "happy" ending, but I've read that the aim is for a "satisfying" ending. I like that about the actors guessing incorrectly about the ending, because I feel like there are several different but valid ways it could go. I'm hoping the ending makes narrative sense given what's come before. I'm thinking it may be along the lines of "Buffy" - not "happily ever after" and the loss of some beloved characters, but at least for me, satisfying and generally making sense.

I think there will be some survivors next week, partly because there are three more episodes and someone needs to fight Cersei's army.

I think there has been a lot of foreshadowing and symbolism along the way, especially the last few episodes. What I think is cool about it is that a lot of it can be interpreted in different ways and might support different outcomes. It does seem like they like callbacks to previous ideas/themes, particularly with the character arcs, so it would surprise me if some of the symbolism doesn't come into play. Like, I really liked the Shireen callback in this last episode and how it plays into Davos' (and Gilly's) story. Also, he mentioned multiple times about how he's not a fighter and how he's avoided fighting, so it will be interesting to see his role.

I have enjoyed the Hound's character arc and I think even though he's a secondary character his role seems important and maybe not over? There a lot of fire imagery with him - Tormand calls him "kissed by fire", he sees the vision in the fire, he's frozen up a couple of times in battle due to fire...I'm wondering if he gets over his fear of fire (since wights can be killed by fire) and moves on to deal with the Mountain (also kind of dead/undead).

Arya - She has talked of the idea of being something she's not "supposed to be" - and I think that's a theme with several female characters. She told Sansa a story last season about shooting arrows while her father watched and how she knew it was "against the rules" but not wrong, that the rules were wrong. And it reminds me of what a pp was saying about possible multiple rulers or something. Or an unexpected ruler and by unexpected I mean not by the "normal" means of succession of that world. Speaking of which, I feel like there must be a reason that Gendry is still around, considering his parentage. But back to Arya...I think that she'll make it to King's Landing. She's (we've) invested so much into her training and her list and such - she still has her Bag O' Faces and I feel like she's going to pull one more out. Maybe she'll get a new one to fool Cersei? Kind of a turn around on Cersei's plan to use Bronn's trust/relationships with her brothers to catch them unaware.

I have more rambling, but it will have to wait - if only I had a dragon to take my daughter to dance...

I also think it's significant we were given a glimpse of young Samwell and wonder yet how he may play into what happens in the crypts, or if he will ultimately be more a factor merely in the storyline of the books?

I literally think the only reason they showed "Baby" Sam is because he was an infant for so long that people complained about the timeline - like how could all this stuff be going on for years and yet every time they showed him he was still an infant.

I literally think the only reason they showed "Baby" Sam is because he was an infant for so long that people complained about the timeline - like how could all this stuff be going on for years and yet every time they showed him he was still an infant.

Unless I am wrong, on the show Samwell is one of Craster's sons. They are usually left to become the White Walkers. Are the Walkers and/or the Night King seeking him specifically?

Unless I am wrong, on the show Samwell is one of Craster's sons. They are usually left to become the White Walkers. Are the Walkers and/or the Night King seeking him specifically?

I think fans have speculated that but I think the real answer is simply in Bran's explanation.

There are so many theroies floating around I have literally lost count. The one thing I did read is that as many shows do when they are coming to an end, they film a lot of different scenes leading to a lot of different outcomes and in turn it gives the showrunners a lot of options and it keeps the actors off balance because they have a hard time piecing together what the exact ending is. In the end I am not expecting a "happy" ending but am looking for a satisfying ending where at least the bad guys get their just endings.

Oh my, that's quite a theory. It had occurred to me that Bran can inhabit a dragon and could possibly take over Viserion, but probably not if it isn't nearby.

i like that one... I had wondered where Viserion and the Night King were at the end, that would be a brilliant move.

I also was thinking Dany could ditch the North's fight and head to Kings Landing and Cersei to go for the Throne now that she seems so pissed with Jon and his parentage and knows Cersei betrayed them.
These are both very interesting theories.

i like that one... I had wondered where Viserion and the Night King were at the end, that would be a brilliant move.

I also was thinking Dany could ditch the North's fight and head to Kings Landing and Cersei to go for the Throne now that she seems so pissed with Jon and his parentage and knows Cersei betrayed them.

Interesting - I wondered that too since they generally have shown him leading the White Walkers when there have been skirmishes. So now they wouldn't be able to knock them all out by killing the Night King, they'd have to knock out individual White Walkers to destroy the wights they have each turned (other than also killing them individually). Plus it would seem maybe anti-climatic to have that part resolved before moving to King's Landing, but maybe not. But I can see Dany heading North - they really didn't have time to "process" the new information and she went straight to his claim on the throne.

ETA: Now that I think about it...I've been re-watching as a refresher and I remember wondering at the end of last season's finale what the Night King would do hanging around waiting for his slow army since he was traveling via dragon.

Last edited:
There are so many theroies floating around I have literally lost count. The one thing I did read is that as many shows do when they are coming to an end, they film a lot of different scenes leading to a lot of different outcomes and in turn it gives the showrunners a lot of options and it keeps the actors off balance because they have a hard time piecing together what the exact ending is. In the end I am not expecting a "happy" ending but am looking for a satisfying ending where at least the bad guys get their just endings.

Was it George RR Martin who said that if you're expecting a happy ending you haven't been paying attention? I'm with you! I don't expect happy - I expect a satisfying ending. For me that means loose ends are tied up, questions are answered, and the person that I think is the good guy wins.

One of my favorite things is this concept that I can't remember the name of, but it boils down to the idea that the "bad guy" in a story sees himself as the hero of the story. Think of Dany - she's killed entire cities. That's bad. Bad people kill entire cities. But she did it for what she sees as a justified reason: they're slaveowners and they're in the way of her goal of the throne. Cersei has done the same thing with the wildfire and the Tyrell family and again she sees it as justified: they played a part in the death of her child and they're in the way of her goal of the throne. Who says one is the bad guy and one is the good guy? We're all the heroes of our own stories.

Was it George RR Martin who said that if you're expecting a happy ending you haven't been paying attention? I'm with you! I don't expect happy - I expect a satisfying ending. For me that means loose ends are tied up, questions are answered, and the person that I think is the good guy wins.

One of my favorite things is this concept that I can't remember the name of, but it boils down to the idea that the "bad guy" in a story sees himself as the hero of the story. Think of Dany - she's killed entire cities. That's bad. Bad people kill entire cities. But she did it for what she sees as a justified reason: they're slaveowners and they're in the way of her goal of the throne. Cersei has done the same thing with the wildfire and the Tyrell family and again she sees it as justified: they played a part in the death of her child and they're in the way of her goal of the throne. Who says one is the bad guy and one is the good guy? We're all the heroes of our own stories.
This is true. But I want to point out that Cersei didn't wildfire the sept with all the Tyrell's and faith militant peeps because she thought they helped kill her kid....A) Toman was still alive (until that moment) and B) she still thought Tyrian poisoned Joffrey (Quen of thorns confesses to Jaime later when he takes over highgarden and she is to die as the very last Tyrell and Jaime then tells Cersei after that). C) Marcella's death she blames Tyrian for sending her to Dorn and she blames Elaria who kissed Marcella's lips with poison (and then Cerssei does the same to Elaria's daughter while Elaria watches). So she wildfired the sept to kill all those people to punish them for A) taking Tomen from her or trying to take Tomen from her. And B) for what the faith militant did to her. I don't even think Cersei can see herself as a hero. She is just flat out getting even and taking no crap anymore.

Dh read a theory about why Bran gave Arya the dagger. According to the theory, the Night King was once a three-eyed raven. In order for Bran to keep from transforming into the Night King, Arya has to kill him. That WOULD be a bittersweet ending.

It's also interesting that Yara thinks she is safe on her island. Someone should tell her the Night King has a dragon and can travel anywhere he wants. Poor Yara. I hope she makes it.

Agree wholeheartedly but after seeing two of the final 6 episodes, my hopes of having this done in a "satisfying" way are rapidly fading. Everything is just too rushed; they're cramming reveals and resolutions into single sentences and brief conversations now, and not even in ways that feel completely true to the characters as we've come to know them. :rolleyes1 Perhaps things will still be put aright - both in the story lines and the execution of how they've been written and filmed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter