Here is a Campsite Marker for DIS Members

Heather,

We call the cabin guests "campers" also. That's the way I started out way back in the day before we got our popup. On my last trip I met three DISsers and the sign is a big help. Of course, I'm not exactly hiding. Check out my most recent trip report from April 2013.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3094752

You can put your sign in the window but I can't emphasize enough the comments I made in the first post that are bolded. Some folks put the sign out by their campsite and then are disappointed when no one says hi. I know I felt that way back in 09 the first time I did it. People don't loop EVERY loop (especially the cabins which all look very uniform). Some days when they see your sign you might be at the park. Some days when you see a sign they are at a park. It can be very hit-and-miss.

The best chance of success (which I did this past April) was to find out via a pre-trip thread who else on the DIS would be at the Fort when I was. Then as you can see I posted my site number in my live trip thread once I got there. I got to meet our poster storyteller/Steve, retiredandhappy/Ken and NorthofMouse/Joy (although with NoM I had to leave a note in her RV door since she and her husband are such go-bunnies). It also helped that I was around the campsite so much during my stay (read why in the TR). I'm going to try again for my trip coming up this March.

So it takes some effort but it's worth it. Everyone I met was very nice.

Bama Ed

I just started to nose through this forum and came across the marker idea.

We start our Camping / Disney trip on Monday, April 14th.

I think I may go to the local printer and have a "professional" marker printed. I look forward to meeting other DIS Campers.

Heather,

We call the cabin guests "campers" also. That's the way I started out way back in the day before we got our popup. On my last trip I met three DISsers and the sign is a big help. Of course, I'm not exactly hiding. Check out my most recent trip report from April 2013.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3094752

You can put your sign in the window but I can't emphasize enough the comments I made in the first post that are bolded. Some folks put the sign out by their campsite and then are disappointed when no one says hi. I know I felt that way back in 09 the first time I did it. People don't loop EVERY loop (especially the cabins which all look very uniform). Some days when they see your sign you might be at the park. Some days when you see a sign they are at a park. It can be very hit-and-miss.

The best chance of success (which I did this past April) was to find out via a pre-trip thread who else on the DIS would be at the Fort when I was. Then as you can see I posted my site number in my live trip thread once I got there. I got to meet our poster storyteller/Steve, retiredandhappy/Ken and NorthofMouse/Joy (although with NoM I had to leave a note in her RV door since she and her husband are such go-bunnies). It also helped that I was around the campsite so much during my stay (read why in the TR). I'm going to try again for my trip coming up this March.

So it takes some effort but it's worth it. Everyone I met was very nice.

Bama Ed

Nope!!! No hiding for you :laughing: Love it! Are you going to be reporting live from the Fort when you're there in March???

Nope!!! No hiding for you :laughing: Love it! Are you going to be reporting live from the Fort when you're there in March???

I'm going to try. The hardest days are when you are in the parks. But I know myself well enough that my best shot to get a trip report done is to do it live. If I wait till I get home to start it then daily life gets in the way and it probably won't be as good as it could have been live.

I also want to try it with my smartphone and keyboard/mouse. I got a Samsung Mega phone (6.3" diagonal screen) in November that supports OTG (On The Go) adaptors so I can plug in a regular ol' usb keyboard and mouse. That will help typing the text, copying picture links from photobucket, and flipping between windows. I even ordered some extra phone batteries to support the effort (although the 3200 mA batts hold up pretty well to a day's usage).

I'm going to try to do it without bringing the laptop from home. If I brought it then I'd never get a chance to use it (not with my group anyway). ;)

Bama Ed

Hi Ed, I love it! So Robert & I are 'go-bunnies'! If you think we are go-bunnies now you should have met us 20 years ago! Even our children couldn't keep up with us! :rotfl2:

By the way, we did see you right away when we arrived in 100, but when we checked - you were the go-bunny! :) It's true we don't stick around our MH much while we're there though. Anyway, was nice meeting you! ;)

You said it NoM. You and Robert are Energizer Go-Bunnies. When we were there back in April same as you it seemed like you guys were gone every day nearly all day. Or so it seemed. If I had annual passes I might be the same way but I'm not at that stage yet.

I bet you folks are quick walkers in the parks too. My kids say I am hard to keep up with. Medical studies say those type of people live longer (must be all the cardio workouts we get :rotfl:)

I have my fingers crossed for our trip next month. I hope my MB concerns turn out to be much ado about nothing.

Bama Ed

Just found this thread. We LOVE camping at Fort Wilderness and are planning a trip for January 2015. I am super excited because my Dad is coming with us. He's never been and he'll be 74 when we go. I'm going to have my DH build us one of the light post. I found a vendor on Etsy that makes adorable Disney flags for Fort Wilderness that are personalized. Love to camp and especially love camping at Fort Wilderness!

I was wondering where you all got those signs. Is it ok for a newbie like me to have one made? I just joined last week and will be down in January. We always enjoying chatting with people at the Fort. The Disney/Fort Bubble is a very nice and friendly bubble to be in. I like it :)

I was wondering where you all got those signs. Is it ok for a newbie like me to have one made? I just joined last week and will be down in January. We always enjoying chatting with people at the Fort. The Disney/Fort Bubble is a very nice and friendly bubble to be in. I like it :)

Oh sure. It doesn't have to be a big deal. You can print one on the home printer and stick it in the window. Doesn't have to be a production at all.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

i have tried numerous times to save the picture for the signs & it tells me that it is damaged.
i have tried on several threads also.

what am I doing wrong?

i have tried numerous times to save the picture for the signs & it tells me that it is damaged.
i have tried on several threads also.

what am I doing wrong?

I just tried it and got this ^^^ also.

to those that have had trouble, I saved it to pintrest first then opened it there. Then I saved it to my pictures. From there I could print and access it. Just another way if you have problems getting the link to work.

I will repost it and put the new link in post #1.

Bama Ed

Thank you for the kind words. :thumbsup2

I try and help out when, where I can.

Snowmedic is a good guy. No doubt about it. :worship:

I uploaded a new graphic (duplicate) to photobucket and posted a brand new link in post #1 to replace the old graphic. Don't know what happened or why but let's see if this new one works.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter