Holiday 2017 Shopping

It's because I have issues but I am almost done Christmas shopping for my two kids.
I could never do that hear. My daughter is the WORST about changing her mind. Over and over. Ugh.

I've told her we'll talk a week before Christmas.

Fortunately she seldom wants some hot item that disappears off of shelves.

I could never do that hear. My daughter is the WORST about changing her mind. Over and over. Ugh.

Christmas lists close around here on December 1. Even Santa wouldn't take letters from them after that date. There used to be a big formal end to lists and the actual mailing of the letters. Even though those days are past, I maintain the deadline.

Christmas lists close around here on December 1. Even Santa wouldn't take letters from them after that date. There used to be a big formal end to lists and the actual mailing of the letters. Even though those days are past, I maintain the deadline.

I'm pretty soft on Christmas deadlines since I don't want anyone disappointed. Thankfully the other 2 give me their ideas early and almost never change. And now that she drives, she gets to make some of the returns. :p

Her birthday is about a month away. I'm still shutting her down on giving me ideas. Maybe about a week out we'll chat.

I am really lucky in that I think the last time my DD was hung up on an item that wasn't a book was when she was 12. She doesn't really ask for anything- ever. She's the only kid I know that will turn down spending money. So she flips out in a good way about whatever she gets. I am bad about constantly second guessing myself about what I got her. She also has a late January Bday so if something is missing and I figure out that she had her heart set on it (which can be tricky as she won't ask) I will get it for her in time for her bday.

My son on the other hand has caused many panicked last minute trips but with him already drooling over a Switch I think I will hopefully be spared that this year. Fingers and toes crossed.

One of my fondest memories is when he was barely verbal (he is autistic and is much more verbal now but lost words for a year) we took him to visit Santa on Xmas eve (why I thought this was a good idea I have no idea) . With his limited speech I had worked for days to get him to say one word- trains. Well we get up there and what does he say? Not train, nope. "Red shoes." He wanted red running shoes like Sonic from the video game. Nothing like hunting those shoes down last minute but it was worth the dozen stops and so many tears because he loved them so much.

Anyway now we do a Dec 1 list too. It's sent off and the next day our Elf normally comes to visit. (Shudder- I hate that thing).

I am really lucky in that I think the last time my DD was hung up on an item that wasn't a book was when she was 12. She doesn't really ask for anything- ever. She's the only kid I know that will turn down spending money. So she flips out in a good way about whatever she gets. I am bad about constantly second guessing myself about what I got her. She also has a late January Bday so if something is missing and I figure out that she had her heart set on it (which can be tricky as she won't ask) I will get it for her in time for her bday.

My son on the other hand has caused many panicked last minute trips but with him already drooling over a Switch I think I will hopefully be spared that this year. Fingers and toes crossed.

One of my fondest memories is when he was barely verbal (he is autistic and is much more verbal now but lost words for a year) we took him to visit Santa on Xmas eve (why I thought this was a good idea I have no idea) . With his limited speech I had worked for days to get him to say one word- trains. Well we get up there and what does he say? Not train, nope. "Red shoes." He wanted red running shoes like Sonic from the video game. Nothing like hunting those shoes down last minute but it was worth the dozen stops and so many tears because he loved them so much.

Anyway now we do a Dec 1 list too. It's sent off and the next day our Elf normally comes to visit. (Shudder- I hate that thing).
She used to be better when we could explain that Santa probably finished his shopping if she wanted to change her mind.

The red shoe story is adorable! :santa: What a fun family memory (you know, in retrospect, knowing you actually found the shoes! :laughing:

My kids want Apple watches so we will probably get those and a couple of smaller items and thats its. DD also asked for some new clothes. DS is going to get a mechanics tools set- he's a 4th year auto student at the high schoool. I've got some Loudmouth golf shorts for dh and a Ninja blender. Stockings usually consist of a candy item, nuts, lip balm, crazy socks, a small game and body spray. About $20 per person.

If we want to take a couple of vacations next year then we need to reel it in a bit. Teenagers are so expensive...we just paid college tuition and books for our dd and we will be paying again in Dec for the next semester.

The only gift I bought so far is a toy called a Fingerling. A friend of mine (known as Mama Cheapsadd ) told me she thinks it will be the hot toy if the holiday season, so I picked one up just to have it. It was only $15.

Thank you! I had to google Fingerling to see what you were talking about and after watching the youtube video I ended up buying 5 of them . I was able to finish up my oldest granddaughter and that's one less gift I need to find for my daughter and youngest granddaughter.

Thanks for starting this thread OP. I don't think I've ever participated in one of these threads, but I look forward to reading them every year :)

We do stockings as a family--me, dh, ds, dd, dsil, dgs and dgd. When the grands were little, all gifts in the stockings were from Santa for all of us (though we very discreetly added an initial on adult gifts so we knew which "santa" gave them). Now that they are 12 and 15, they are Santas, too. Our limit is 10-15 a person.
We have so much fun with them!

When dgd was 3, at the last minute--on December 23-- she told us Santa was bringing her a Mickey Mouse suitcase. My dd asked her if she had told Santa and dgd told her no, but Santa would just know she wanted it.
Well, 12 years ago, there was little in the way of MM suitcases. She was really into Santa--first year--so dd was "what do we do?". Luckily we were in Walmart that afternoon for a few last minute items and saw a rolling backpack. We grabbed it and went to the craft section where there was one pack of Disney iron-ons and one of Disney buttons. We grabbed them and I spent that night sewing/ironing on embellishments to the rolling backpack. DGD was so happy Xmas morning and kept telling her mommy "see, Santa knew."

Last edited:
FYI- Walmart is moving some of their back to school overstock into clearance. I just picked up 5"x7" sketch books for DD for $1. Those are going into her stocking. Keeping my eyes open for other goodies. They also had "bind bags" of various characters/cartoons for reasonably cheap but passed.

FYI- Walmart is moving some of their back to school overstock into clearance. I just picked up 5"x7" sketch books for DD for $1. Those are going into her stocking. Keeping my eyes open for other goodies. They also had "bind bags" of various characters/cartoons for reasonably cheap but passed.
I love back to school stuff!!

Yahoo! I love threads like this. I get so many great ideas. We are going to WDW Dec 16-21st so I know I will buy a few gifts there. I have already bought both boys a North Face Jacket. Gander Mountain closed their store by us and I got them for 75% off! I also got my daughter a puzzle box she wanted from the city market in Charleston. A friend of mine went on vacation there and she picked one up for me. My daughter is going to be so excited. The last time we were there her brother bought one and then of course she was so mad she didn't buy one. My mom surprised me and sent me her list this week so I know what to get her. She is a teacher and wants a lamination machine and wireless printer. I will be getting DH a Yeti travel mug. My middle DS is also in the auto mechanic program at his High School so he will get tools/toolbox. Gift card for car wash and gas for his car.

I try to get Christmas done by early December because DD's Birthday is Dec 24th and DS16 Birthday is Dec 30th!

I want to get DH a smart watch that will work with his LG phone and a special app that connects to his glucose meter.

When dgd was 3, at the last minute--on December 23-- she told us Santa was bringing her a Mickey Mouse suitcase. My dd asked her if she had told Santa and dgd told her no, but Santa would just know she wanted it. Well, 12 years ago, there was little in the way of MM suitcases. She was really into Santa--first year--so dd was "what do we do?". Luckily we were in Walmart that afternoon for a few last minute items and saw a rolling backpack. We grabbed it and went to the craft section where there was one pack of Disney iron-ons and one of Disney buttons. We grabbed them and I spent that night sewing/ironing on embellishments to the rolling backpack. DGD was so happy Xmas morning and kept telling her mommy "see, Santa knew."

LOL. This happened to us twice. Once, DS decided (on Christmas Eve day) that, in spite of the fact that Santa's sleigh was already packed, Santa was going to bring him a garbage truck. I think we found one, but it's not really something that is in great demand.

The other time (again, on Christmas Eve day), DD decided Santa was bringing her a space ship. That was easier to deal with, but when she opened it, she'd forgotten all about her declaration and said Santa had brought it for her brother. Sigh.

The only gift I bought so far is a toy called a Fingerling. A friend of mine (known as Mama Cheaps) told me she thinks it will be the hot toy if the holiday season, so I picked one up just to have it. It was only $15.

Good buy. I hadn't heard of them and just saw they're running for $25 on Amazon now.

I already got all mine done, cause Im not getting anybody anything

Thought this looked like your profile pic! (LOL!)

53041264.jpg

I'm also intrigued by the fingerlings idea. What age group are there aimed at? I'm wondering about some of my nieces??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter