I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH
1 Amex- Aspire opened 2/3/20

Me
Barclay Aviator Red 9/19
Amex Platinum 11/19
Chase CFU 12/19

As you can see if I open another personal card I’ll be 4/24 for another 1.5yrs. While not ideal, it’s something I can work within.

I feel like the Hilton biz is the safer choice. I would worry that some “best ever” offer would come along and I would regret taking that slot.

In fact, I have an example. Back when the Surpass SUB included a free night, I had serious FOMO about getting it for DH. But it would take him to 4/24, so I let it go. Even after the offer expired, I was still second guessing myself. But then he got an offer to upgrade his gold to plat. He’s never had the plat so of course I wanted to apply for it first then take the upgrade. Now if he had been 4/24, what would I have done? Locked him out of Chase? Let the upgrade offer go? I don’t know. In this game, you never know what opportunities might present themselves. So I think having flexibility is quite valuable.

The Hilton biz base points is 3x, so you would be getting an extra 3x on the Surpass for groceries. How much do you spend on groceries a year? Let’s say $6000? That would be 18,000 Hilton points over base. Not really a lot as Hilton points go. Although getting the Surpass would open you up to an upgrade offer to Aspire. But you’d want to apply for it first and that would take up another slot.

Another thing to consider is what other cards have elevated grocery. Personal gold is 4x MR, but you’d need to be able to use the credits (and takes up a slot). That may be good to get if you might want to eventually downgrade your plat, keep Amex happier (?). Or Blue Cash Preferred at 6% cash back. But you wouldn’t want to take up a slot on that one, only if you had a card you could PC.

Lots to think about! :)

Was busy all day until just a few minutes ago and didn’t have time to call the Chase status line, but logged on to my acct this afternoon and I must have been approved, there’s a new card there! :cool1: Probably going to be cashing out URs to pay for part of our Europe trip, so keeping them coming while I can.

I feel like the Hilton biz is the safer choice. I would worry that some “best ever” offer would come along and I would regret taking that slot.

In fact, I have an example. Back when the Surpass SUB included a free night, I had serious FOMO about getting it for DH. But it would take him to 4/24, so I let it go. Even after the offer expired, I was still second guessing myself. But then he got an offer to upgrade his gold to plat. He’s never had the plat so of course I wanted to apply for it first then take the upgrade. Now if he had been 4/24, what would I have done? Locked him out of Chase? Let the upgrade offer go? I don’t know. In this game, you never know what opportunities might present themselves. So I think having flexibility is quite valuable.

The Hilton biz base points is 3x, so you would be getting an extra 3x on the Surpass for groceries. How much do you spend on groceries a year? Let’s say $6000? That would be 18,000 Hilton points over base. Not really a lot as Hilton points go. Although getting the Surpass would open you up to an upgrade offer to Aspire. But you’d want to apply for it first and that would take up another slot.

Another thing to consider is what other cards have elevated grocery. Personal gold is 4x MR, but you’d need to be able to use the credits (and takes up a slot). That may be good to get if you might want to eventually downgrade your plat, keep Amex happier (?). Or Blue Cash Preferred at 6% cash back. But you wouldn’t want to take up a slot on that one, only if you had a card you could PC.

Lots to think about! :)
Thank you for your thoughts. This is pretty much my thinking as well. I keep going to the Surpass app page and find myself unable to pull the trigger because it takes a valuable x/24 slot. The only appeal to the Surpass is that I can earn 3x more points on groceries, which is big for us, and getting the FWN after 15k. But you are so right about potentially missing out on a awesome personal offer, and I would be locking myself out for 1.5. years if I want to stay under 5/24. I’m going to run some numbers for the Biz card.

Here is Lain's explanation from earlier:

URs transfer to Marriott 1000:1000. Transferring UR to Marriott is generally a BAD IDEA, except if you had a big stash of Marriott points already and you needed to "top off" that stash to make a redemption -- preferably for a 5 night stay to get one of those nights free and stretch the value of your redemption, or you knew you could get better than 1.5 cent per point value once your URs are Marriott points.

For a quick point of comparison, UR are worth 1.5 cpp with a CSR through the Chase travel portal, or 1.25 cpp with a CSP or CIP. Most people would peg the value of a Marriott point somewhere around 0.7 cent per point, maybe less with the upcoming category changes (i.e., devaluation).

As a real world example, Marriott recently announced that among the 1,600+ hotels increasing in category (therefore, points required per night) effective 3/4/20, the COURTYARD across from Disneyland will be jumping from Category 6 to 7. A Category 7 hotel requires 60k Marriott points/night on a standard night, 50k/night off peak and 70k/night peak! The average cost for a room even on a busy weekend like 4th of July is only $359. This means if you were to use 60k-70k Marriott points on a room at this hotel, your Marriott points are worth barely 0.5 cents per point! Or you can book the cash rate at a fixed 1.5 cents per UR point through the Chase travel portal for 24k UR/night on your CSR.

Now, if you were to transfer UR to Marriott, you'd transfer 60k-70k URs to book one night. What a terrible value! You could book the same room, same night through Chase with your URs for only 24k UR/night
Yes, I have a little over 100k Marriott pts and we are staying for 5 nights mid July. Was hoping to get the 5th night free at the Swolphin. Guess I need more than a top off.

When the Amex Green introductory offer with the Away credit ended last month, I tried seeing what the incognito offer was on the Green and kept pulling 45k MR/$2k MSR/3 months pretty easily. It no longer has the Away credit, and we've not yet used the CLEAR or LoungeBuddy credits on DW's Green, so yeah those credits mean nothing if you don't plan to use them. I think 45k MR/$2k MSR/3 months is the default incognito offer on the Green going forward.

On the one hand, it's 45k MR for only $2k MSR is a pretty good deal. With a support click, you say you'd net another 10k MR. What other Amex MR cards do you have from which you can support? Assuming your BBP is your highest supporting card, like you said that's net 57k MR. DH gets 45k MR SUB + 2k+ MR from MSR spend (keep in mind the Green earns 3x MR at restaurants and on travel); you get a 10k MR support bonus. Remember you can't combine MR between spouses' accounts, but there are ways to still get one spouse's MR to the other spouse's frequent flyer and hotel loyalty accounts.

You still come out ahead on the AF at least in the first, but I'd hate for you to have to pay a $150 AF on a card with credits you won't use. The Green earns 3x MR on (most) dining and travel, which is the same earning structure as the CSR. If you or P2 have a CSR, will you be shifting dining and travel spend over to the Green? If so, can you justify paying a $450/$550 AF on the CSR if you're not spending on it and just holding it for 1.5x redemptions, travel insurance, and the travel and DoorDash credits? And if not, then will the Green become a sockdrawer card that might cause P2 to get the pop up. Relatedly, is the Green a card that P2 will cancel after a year, and thus risk the pop up, because paying another year's $150 AF then becomes a losing proposition if you're not using the CLEAR and LoungeBuddy credits?

The Amex Gold is not as duplicative with other Chase cards. It earns 4x MR on (most) dining, which is value more than the CSR's 3x UR, and 4x MR (up to $25k spend/year) at supermarkets. Amex has a few other cards with a supermarket bonus, but Chase does not outside of random CF 5x UR quarterly bonus categories. If you buy GC/VGC/MCGC with your groceries, that 4x MR category can be quite lucrative. I also find the credits on the Gold are moreso things you'd actually be spending money on anyway (thus, actually offset the $250 AF), which include $10/month towards delivery or pickup on GrubHub, or pick up a meal or a $10 GC every month at Cheesecake Factory, Shack Shack, Ruth's Chris, etc; and a $100/calendar year airline fee credit.

It appears that with the release of the Green, Amex increased the MSR on the Gold to $4k. It's still fairly easy to pull an incognito offer on the Gold for 50k MR/$4k MSR/3 months using a support link. I believe this is the best offer you can get on the Gold right now.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need to bounce anything else off me.
It does help, thank you so much! I always appreciate your perspective. My BBP is my highest supporting card. To answer your questions, this card would definitely be a one year card. I know that to some people it may sound crazy or they could think that I don't know what I'm doing, but at this point the pop up isn't really a concern for me. It will probably happen at some point, but I am okay with that. I know AmEx is great for some people, but in my opinion it is great for those that have a much higher standard of living than me. For example except when we are on vacation we probably average around $100 in dining/month. So it doesn't matter if we are getting 3xUR or 4xMR it just doesn't move the needle very much. My strategy is pretty much all spend goes on an MSR card. I know that is leaving some points on the table, but again with my level of organic spend is really isn't that big of deal. But with myself at 4/24 and DH at 3/24 I am coming to point where unless I want to go past 5/24 (which I don't) it may not be possible to get cards to always have an MSR. Really the only card from AmEx that I'd like to get in the next year would be a personal Hilton for DH.

I think I can make the Gold work better for me. But even that I'm not 100% on at this point. Yes, I could probably make use of the GrubHub credits, bringing the AF down $120. But the airline credit wouldn't be something I would organically spend on. I know there are still ways to get it, but I'm not sure it's something I want to do. Organic spend at grocery stores would get around $25K/year MR. So then if I didn't use the airline credit I'd be getting 60k MR for $130 net AF after GrubHub credit. So with the grocery a better deal than the Green.

Sorry, that seems like a lot of rambling. I think if this is a standard incognito offer I'll hold off for a while. I don't like the idea of both of us at 4/24 anyway. Maybe if nothing else comes along in the next month I'll think about again. At least I l know it should still be around.

I knew that when I started on the path with AmEx MR they didn't really make sense for my amount of spend and lifestyle, but I was able to get them in addition to other cards that I valued higher. I have been able to get 150k MR with no annual fees paid so it was worth it to me. I know that I can always transfer to Hilton if another opportunity to use them doesn't present itself.

Thanks again for your thoughts and insight!!

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughts. This is pretty much my thinking as well. I keep going to the Surpass app page and find myself unable to pull the trigger because it takes a valuable x/24 slot. The only appeal to the Surpass is that I can earn 3x more points on groceries, which is big for us, and getting the FWN after 15k. But you are so right about potentially missing out on a awesome personal offer, and I would be locking myself out for 1.5. years if I want to stay under 5/24. I’m going to run some numbers for the Biz card.
Just wanted to clarify the Hilton Biz also has the opportunity to earn the FWN with 15k of spend in a year. I agree with @wanderlust7 seems like the Biz may be the better choice to start with. But always good to check your numbers.

I think I'll be using our CIC for this round at Staples. Dh said he can see his Capital One Venture is coming in the mail today, but I don't think we'll have any trouble meeting that spend. I'd rather have the 5x with the CIC. I need to check if we have the Amex offer first, though.

We have the Amex offer on both of our BBPs. Would it be better to use that or our CIC??
I'm planning on using my 10% Amex offer for this. That's better than the 5% I'd get from my CIC. I suppose you could go make multiple purchases, maxing out the Amex first and then go with your CIC.

I'm planning on using my 10% Amex offer for this. That's better than the 5% I'd get from my CIC. I suppose you could go make multiple purchases, maxing out the Amex first and then go with your CIC.
Thanks! I didn’t realize the CIC would come out to 5%.

Can you guys provide some feedback? My goal is a 6 night stay at Grand Wailea Christmas time 2021. DH just got the Aspire and now I’m looking to get my own card to add more points. I’ll need 380k points and a FWN cert. to cover the entire stay. My plan is to get myself a Surpass using support from DH. I can hit the 15k spend to get a FWN by the end of this year, which should carry over to 2021. Getting another personal card will put me at 4/24 so I want to make sure I’m choosing the correct card.

Would there be any other benefit for choosing a different card over the Surpass. I also considered the Hilton Biz, but I like the 6x grocery on Suprass and the lower MSR. I also considered another Aspire for myself, but can’t quite see the value.

Any thoughts or strategies would be appreciated!
DH
1 Amex- Aspire opened 2/3/20

Me
Barclay Aviator Red 9/19
Amex Platinum 11/19
Chase CFU 12/19

As you can see if I open another personal card I’ll be 4/24 for another 1.5yrs. While not ideal, it’s something I can work within.
@Lain the other challenge I’m facing is standard room availability at Christmas will go fast. From my research I need to have all points and certs in place by January 2021 in order to have a chance at a booking a room.

Ok,

The thing that immediately sticks out to me is the CFU. It's not a card we typically recommend signing up for under 5/24 because of its relatively low SUB, even with support link. The conventional wisdom is downgrade to a CF/CFU from a Sapphire card after a year. But the past is past, and there's nothing we can do about it but work around it. You'll probably want to preserve that last slot at 4/24 until closer to when your cards from last fall start dropping off in 2021. You can keep getting Chase biz cards (and Amex, Citi, Barclays) that won't add to your */24 count. Do you plan to MDD with your last slot? I'm just trying to think what your roadmap might look like for the next year and a half.

Back to the Grand Wailea for Christmastime 2021! Solid goal! I'm so excited for you!

Here's how I see it.

P2 just opened the Aspire. I'm hoping you supported P2 to the Aspire using a support link from your Platinum. I believe the best offer on the Aspire right now is 150,000 Hilton points. A support link from your Platinum should've gotten you 15,000 MR. The MSR on the Aspire is $4,000. Assuming a base earn rate of 3x Hilton points on "everything else," that's 12,000 Hilton points from P2 meeting MSR. That gets you guys to 162,000 Hilton points.

If you wanted to treat the MR support bonus as going towards your Hilton stay, know that MR transfers to Hilton 1,000:2,000 standard, and Amex periodically runs targeted transfer bonuses of up to 50% or 1,000 MR:3,000 MR. So a 15k MR support bonus could mean 30,000-45,000 Hilton points. That would get you guys to 192,000-207,000 Hilton points.

Don't forget the Hilton Aspire comes with a Free Weekend Night Certificate shortly after account opening and after the cardmember anniversary. In practice, it takes about 8 weeks for the FWNC to arrive in your email, although if you call into Hilton sometime after your first statement, a rep may be able to "see" the FWNC in P2's account sooner and help you attach it. My FWNC from opening the Aspire was in my email the day after my second statement closed. FWNC are good for one year after it posts. DPs are mixed, but Hilton reps have generally been happy to help you extend the FWNC beyond the one year expiration, particularly if you have a specific redemption and dates in mind. (That is, negative DPs usually involve requests for indefinite extensions.) So assuming P2 gets his first FWNC sometime in April, the FWNC should have an expiration date in April 2021, but when you're ready to book the Grand Wailea in January call Hilton and nicely ask if they could extend it and attach it for a Christmastime reservation at the Grand Wailea. That shouldn't be a problem. If one rep won't do it, HUCA.

Who will the reservation be under? DH or you? It makes sense for the reservation to be under whoever has higher elite status with Hilton for better perks. The Aspire includes complimentary Diamond status, which is Hilton's highest tier, as well as a $250 resort credit that works at the Grand Wailea. (Will P2 keep the Aspire after the first year and still have it to use at the Grand Wailea?) The Surpass and Platinum only have Gold status.

Transferring and consolidating points with Hilton is incredibly easy, and free!

Hilton lets you do Points Pooling, where several members can contribute points to a pool, or direct person-to-person transfers. Between spouses, it's easier to just do a direct transfer. Both are subject to a limit of 500k points sent and 2 million points received per calendar year.

For transferring points between spouses: When you log into P2's Hilton account, in the side menu under My Points, click More Ways to Use Points, then click Transfer Your Points. Select the number of points you want to transfer, in 1,000 points increments, up to 500k, enter your P2's first name, last name, HH number, and email. That's it. It can take ~24 hours for the transfer to complete.

On to the Surpass. I think since P2 already has the Aspire, the Surpass is a good choice for you.

IIRC, the Aspire is currently earning only a 15,000 Hilton points bonus for supportals to the Hilton family of cards. (Compare that to the 15,000 MR that I hope you earned on your Plat for supporting P2 to the Aspire, and all the points you could have if you transferred MR>Hilton during a transfer bonus.) I don't recall what the current best SUB on the Surpass is between incognito offers and support offers, and promotions that Amex runs on Hilton card signups now and then. I think it's something like 130,000 or 150,000 Hilton points right now (I'm seeing the public offer is only 125,000 Hilton points). I also remember using a support link can result in different SUBs on the Hilton cards. Always compare and factor in the value of the supportal! Some of these support offers may be inferior to the public or incognito offers. If you're not in a rush, you might want to wait for a better promotion along the lines of these that ran (and expired) on the Surpass towards the end of last year:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...cend-150000-point-bonus-100-statement-credit/
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targ...n-surpass-formerly-ascend-150000-point-bonus/
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...o-130k-points-free-weekend-night-certificate/
What I like about the Surpass vs. the other Amex Hilton cards is the 6x Hilton points you can earn at supermarkets (and gas and restaurants). As you know, supermarkets often have deals and/or fuel points on GC/VGC/MCGC purchases, so you can use that easy spend to work towards $15k/calendar year and a FWNC, and earn a little extra on the bonus category. (Aside from spending towards the FWNC, 6x Hilton doesn't beat the Gold's 4x MR, since MR transfers to Hilton 1:2 standard.)

Another thing about the Surpass (and the no fee Hilton card) is that after you've had it open year, Amex will start targeting you with upgrade offers (e.g., Surpass to the Aspire, no fee Hilton to the Surpass). I think the current upgrade offer on the Surpass to the Aspire is 150,000 for $4,000 spend. Here's the thing. If you accept an upgrade offer, it doesn't count as a new card account and won't add to your */24 status. However, if you've never had the card you're upgrading to, accepting the upgrade will make you ineligible for the SUB on that higher card under Amex's lifetime language (not eligible for a SUB if you have or ever had this card). So the typical recommendation when you get an upgrade offer, for example, apply for the Aspire (the card you've never had) separately so you're eligible for the SUB and that welcome offer is attached to the new Aspire, then immediately after the new Aspire is approved go and accept the upgrade offer for the upgrade bonus. In this example, you'll end up with 2 Aspires, 2 AFs, 2x $4k MSRs, some duplicative benefits, but it's a way around Amex's lifetime restrictions for more Hilton points, 2x $250 resort credits, 2x FWNCs, and 2x $250 airline credits.

So the point is you need to be looking at and comparing the current offer(s), even against historical offers that may come around again, as well as thinking ahead a year or more as to what your plan is for this card (or cards), be ready to jump when the opportunity presents itself, and an idea how to meet MSR and spend the credits. In my above hypothetical, signing up for a new Aspire next year will add a card to your */24, but it's not as bad if you've got 3 cards dropping off at the end of 2021. If you've got 2x Aspires, and DH has his one, that's $750 in resort credits you could use at the Grand Wailea by asking the front desk to do a split charge on all 3 cards. And you'll still have a nice stash of points and FWNCs to plan your next trip.

Anyway, a 15,000 Hilton points supportal from P2's Aspire brings you guys up to 207k-222k Hilton points. A 150k Hilton Surpass SUB would bring you up to 357k-372k Hilton points. The Surpass has a $2k MSR and earns a base rate of 3x Hilton. That's another 6,000 Hilton points. Add that, and you're at 363k-378k. You said you'd be spending on the Surpass towards the $15k required for a FWNC. That's a minimum of $13k on top of the MSR, x3 (hopefully you hit some of those 6x bonus categories), so at least 39,000 Hilton points, which would put you over the 380,000 Hilton points you need for 5 nights at the Grand Wailea.

That's not even including MRs (>Hilton) from Amex MR cards you could be signing up for in the next year, that you can use to "top off" for any Hilton points you still need.

I definitely think you can get all this in place by the end of this year.

One more thing, if preserving your */24 status is important to you, have you considered the Hilton Biz? It doesn't have an upgrade path to the Surpass>Aspire like the personal Hilton cards, but it won't count against 5/24, usually has a comparable SUB as the Surpass, earns 6x Hilton points on gas/restaurants/shipping/flights/wireless bills, and also earns a FWNC with $15k spend/calendar year.

Last edited:

Keep in mind that P2 can still use his Aspire to support you to a Hilton Biz. But obviously, compare offers and historical offers (search DoC).

I found the Hilton Biz a bit difficult to put spend on beyond MSR since the categories didn't work for me and I canceled it after a year. (Fortunately, I was spending heavily on my other Amex cards.) However, if you're spending $15k/calendar year on the Hilton Biz towards the FWNC, then that should keep the pop up away and Amex happy to approve you for more cards down the line.

Fifth night free has to be all on points. The FWNC won't count. However, you can use the FWNC for a sixth or seventh night on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, in addition to your five nights on points.
Thanks!
Just making sure I got this right because we are looking at GW for next year also. So for a 6 night stay we could book 4 nights on points (380,000), get the 5th night free, and then the 6th night with the FWNC (as long as it's a Fri-Sun) for a total of 380,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter