I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we’re gonna go to the flower and garden festival on March 6 since we have a fp for MMRR on March 5. I looked at hotels including the chase portal and we decided we’re just gonna drive home and back the next day. Hopefully I’ll still be okay to go walk around at 33 weeks

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/e...4304021|261076644&cid=PDM195429&bid=929751815Man I want that Orange Bird magnet so bad! I wish they would've done it first. We'll be at WDW on March 5 so I can pick up the Donald one. The Orange Bird is gonna be a lot harder to get. I might have to have Dh run and get them after the baby's born at the end of May or something.
We will be there May 16-24.......DH and I both have APs if you would like to trade a Donald for Orange Bird just let me know

@Lain Not the OP but wanted to say thanks so much for sharing all the Hilton Amex knowledge! :worship: I'm working on Hawaii for summer 2021 and this is so helpful! You all have made me want to spend a few nights at GW! Well you all and the gorgeous pics! I've been to Oahu a few times but no other islands and would love to visit Maui.

I think we’re gonna go to the flower and garden festival on March 6 since we have a fp for MMRR on March 5. I looked at hotels including the chase portal and we decided we’re just gonna drive home and back the next day. Hopefully I’ll still be okay to go walk around at 33 weeks

How are you feeling now? That's only a few weeks from now, if you're good now I doubt that will change in a few weeks :)

I actually jogged throughout both of my last two pregnancies and went to WDW at 7 months prego and was fine. Hopefully the weather will be nice for you since it's early March. Of course I've heard it's been pretty hot there lately...

Thanks!
Just making sure I got this right because we are looking at GW for next year also. So for a 6 night stay we could book 4 nights on points (380,000), get the 5th night free, and then the 6th night with the FWNC (as long as it's a Fri-Sun) for a total of 380,000?
We are staying at the GW March 21st to 27. FNC for the 21st and then 4 nights on points with 5th night free. You have to call to do the FNC reservation but they were able to link all 6 nights together so we can stay in the same room.

Fifth night free has to be all on points. The FWNC won't count. However, you can use the FWNC for a sixth or seventh night on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, in addition to your five nights on points.

I remembered reading that unofficially, you can. But it's not a particularly good value. No first hand knowledge and no idea if it's still the case.

Towards the end of the post:
https://awardwallet.com/blog/essential-tips-hilton-honors-5th-night-free-free-night-certificates/

How are you feeling now? That's only a few weeks from now, if you're good now I doubt that will change in a few weeks :)

I actually jogged throughout both of my last two pregnancies and went to WDW at 7 months prego and was fine. Hopefully the weather will be nice for you since it's early March. Of course I've heard it's been pretty hot there lately...
I feel great right now (31 weeks today)! I'm still going to the gym 3 times a week and walk every day that I'm not at the gym. I recently started getting tired during the day, but that's because I can't get myself to go to bed at a decent time. I don't think it has anything to do with being pregnant. I just get caught up watching tv or reading a book at night when I should be sleeping.

The weather has been really up and down. We had some HOT days last week and tomorrow is saying 62 as the high with rain. When we go to stay at POR next weekend for pictures it looks like it's gonna be chilly unfortunately. The chilly weather is fine as long as I can still wear shorts. I have basically no pants that fit me and maybe one jacket that works.

We are staying at the GW March 21st to 27. FNC for the 21st and then 4 nights on points with 5th night free. You have to call to do the FNC reservation but they were able to link all 6 nights together so we can stay in the same room.
I did the same for our stay at the WA Maldives. Also the CSR at Hilton told me that they award bonus points (current promo is 2,000 HH points / stay) to stays on points. Our 1 week stay is broken up in to 3 parts (to accomodate the FNC and added an extra night on after initial reservation) and we will get 6,000 points, which is crazy for a free stay. But who am I to question!

DPs are mixed, but Hilton reps have generally been happy to help you extend the FWNC beyond the one year expiration, particularly if you have a specific redemption and dates in mind. (That is, negative DPs usually involve requests for indefinite extensions.)

I just did this. We had to cancel our President's Day Weekend at the Waldorf in Orlando which was booked with a FNC. When I called to cancel, I asked to extend the certificate. She asked how long I needed and I said six months. She came back with an expiration of 11/30/20 when it would have expired on 3/4/20. Definitely worth the call.

DPs are mixed, but Hilton reps have generally been happy to help you extend the FWNC beyond the one year expiration, particularly if you have a specific redemption and dates in mind. (That is, negative DPs usually involve requests for indefinite extensions.) So assuming P2 gets his first FWNC sometime in April, the FWNC should have an expiration date in April 2021, but when you're ready to book the Grand Wailea in January call Hilton and nicely ask if they could extend it and attach it for a Christmastime reservation at the Grand Wailea. That shouldn't be a problem. If one rep won't do it, HUCA.
easy, and free!

I just did this. We had to cancel our President's Day Weekend at the Waldorf in Orlando which was booked with a FNC. When I called to cancel, I asked to extend the certificate. She asked how long I needed and I said six months. She came back with an expiration of 11/30/20 when it would have expired on 3/4/20. Definitely worth the call.

This is so great to hear. I had it in my head that only the Bonbon certs could be extended.

Can you guys provide some feedback? My goal is a 6 night stay at Grand Wailea Christmas time 2021. DH just got the Aspire and now I’m looking to get my own card to add more points. I’ll need 380k points and a FWN cert. to cover the entire stay. My plan is to get myself a Surpass using support from DH. I can hit the 15k spend to get a FWN by the end of this year, which should carry over to 2021. Getting another personal card will put me at 4/24 so I want to make sure I’m choosing the correct card.

Would there be any other benefit for choosing a different card over the Surpass. I also considered the Hilton Biz, but I like the 6x grocery on Suprass and the lower MSR. I also considered another Aspire for myself, but can’t quite see the value.

Any thoughts or strategies would be appreciated!
I feel like the Hilton biz is the safer choice. I would worry that some “best ever” offer would come along and I would regret taking that slot.

In fact, I have an example. Back when the Surpass SUB included a free night, I had serious FOMO about getting it for DH. But it would take him to 4/24, so I let it go. Even after the offer expired, I was still second guessing myself. But then he got an offer to upgrade his gold to plat. He’s never had the plat so of course I wanted to apply for it first then take the upgrade. Now if he had been 4/24, what would I have done? Locked him out of Chase? Let the upgrade offer go? I don’t know. In this game, you never know what opportunities might present themselves. So I think having flexibility is quite valuable.

The Hilton biz base points is 3x, so you would be getting an extra 3x on the Surpass for groceries. How much do you spend on groceries a year? Let’s say $6000? That would be 18,000 Hilton points over base. Not really a lot as Hilton points go. Although getting the Surpass would open you up to an upgrade offer to Aspire. But you’d want to apply for it first and that would take up another slot.

Another thing to consider is what other cards have elevated grocery. Personal gold is 4x MR, but you’d need to be able to use the credits (and takes up a slot). That may be good to get if you might want to eventually downgrade your plat, keep Amex happier (?). Or Blue Cash Preferred at 6% cash back. But you wouldn’t want to take up a slot on that one, only if you had a card you could PC.

Lots to think about! :)
Just wanted to clarify the Hilton Biz also has the opportunity to earn the FWN with 15k of spend in a year. I agree with @wanderlust7 seems like the Biz may be the better choice to start with. But always good to check your numbers.
Thank you for your thoughts. This is pretty much my thinking as well. I keep going to the Surpass app page and find myself unable to pull the trigger because it takes a valuable x/24 slot. The only appeal to the Surpass is that I can earn 3x more points on groceries, which is big for us, and getting the FWN after 15k. But you are so right about potentially missing out on a awesome personal offer, and I would be locking myself out for 1.5. years if I want to stay under 5/24. I’m going to run some numbers for the Biz card.
Ok,

Back to the Grand Wailea for Christmastime 2021! Solid goal! I'm so excited for you!

Here's how I see it.

P2 just opened the Aspire. I'm hoping you supported P2 to the Aspire using a support link from your Platinum. I believe the best offer on the Aspire right now is 150,000 Hilton points. A support link from your Platinum should've gotten you 15,000 MR. The MSR on the Aspire is $4,000. Assuming a base earn rate of 3x Hilton points on "everything else," that's 12,000 Hilton points from P2 meeting MSR. That gets you guys to 162,000 Hilton points.

If you wanted to treat the MR support bonus as going towards your Hilton stay, know that MR transfers to Hilton 1,000:2,000 standard, and Amex periodically runs targeted transfer bonuses of up to 50% or 1,000 MR:3,000 MR. So a 15k MR support bonus could mean 30,000-45,000 Hilton points. That would get you guys to 192,000-207,000 Hilton points.

Don't forget the Hilton Aspire comes with a Free Weekend Night Certificate shortly after account opening and after the cardmember anniversary. In practice, it takes about 8 weeks for the FWNC to arrive in your email, although if you call into Hilton sometime after your first statement, a rep may be able to "see" the FWNC in P2's account sooner and help you attach it. My FWNC from opening the Aspire was in my email the day after my second statement closed. FWNC are good for one year after it posts. DPs are mixed, but Hilton reps have generally been happy to help you extend the FWNC beyond the one year expiration, particularly if you have a specific redemption and dates in mind. (That is, negative DPs usually involve requests for indefinite extensions.) So assuming P2 gets his first FWNC sometime in April, the FWNC should have an expiration date in April 2021, but when you're ready to book the Grand Wailea in January call Hilton and nicely ask if they could extend it and attach it for a Christmastime reservation at the Grand Wailea. That shouldn't be a problem. If one rep won't do it, HUCA.

Who will the reservation be under? DH or you? It makes sense for the reservation to be under whoever has higher elite status with Hilton for better perks. The Aspire includes complimentary Diamond status, which is Hilton's highest tier, as well as a $250 resort credit that works at the Grand Wailea. (Will P2 keep the Aspire after the first year and still have it to use at the Grand Wailea?) The Surpass and Platinum only have Gold status.

Transferring and consolidating points with Hilton is incredibly easy, and free!

Hilton lets you do Points Pooling, where several members can contribute points to a pool, or direct person-to-person transfers. Between spouses, it's easier to just do a direct transfer. Both are subject to a limit of 500k points sent and 2 million points received per calendar year.

For transferring points between spouses: When you log into P2's Hilton account, in the side menu under My Points, click More Ways to Use Points, then click Transfer Your Points. Select the number of points you want to transfer, in 1,000 points increments, up to 500k, enter your P2's first name, last name, HH number, and email. That's it. It can take ~24 hours for the transfer to complete.

On to the Surpass. I think since P2 already has the Aspire, the Surpass is a good choice for you.

IIRC, the Aspire is currently earning only a 15,000 Hilton points bonus for supportals to the Hilton family of cards. (Compare that to the 15,000 MR that I hope you earned on your Plat for supporting P2 to the Aspire, and all the points you could have if you transferred MR>Hilton during a transfer bonus.) I don't recall what the current best SUB on the Surpass is between incognito offers and support offers, and promotions that Amex runs on Hilton card signups now and then. I think it's something like 130,000 or 150,000 Hilton points right now (I'm seeing the public offer is only 125,000 Hilton points). I also remember using a support link can result in different SUBs on the Hilton cards. Always compare and factor in the value of the supportal! Some of these support offers may be inferior to the public or incognito offers. If you're not in a rush, you might want to wait for a better promotion along the lines of these that ran (and expired) on the Surpass towards the end of last year:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...cend-150000-point-bonus-100-statement-credit/
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targ...n-surpass-formerly-ascend-150000-point-bonus/
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...o-130k-points-free-weekend-night-certificate/
What I like about the Surpass vs. the other Amex Hilton cards is the 6x Hilton points you can earn at supermarkets (and gas and restaurants). As you know, supermarkets often have deals and/or fuel points on GC/VGC/MCGC purchases, so you can use that easy spend to work towards $15k/calendar year and a FWNC, and earn a little extra on the bonus category. (Aside from spending towards the FWNC, 6x Hilton doesn't beat the Gold's 4x MR, since MR transfers to Hilton 1:2 standard.)

Another thing about the Surpass (and the no fee Hilton card) is that after you've had it open year, Amex will start targeting you with upgrade offers (e.g., Surpass to the Aspire, no fee Hilton to the Surpass). I think the current upgrade offer on the Surpass to the Aspire is 150,000 for $4,000 spend. Here's the thing. If you accept an upgrade offer, it doesn't count as a new card account and won't add to your */24 status. However, if you've never had the card you're upgrading to, accepting the upgrade will make you ineligible for the SUB on that higher card under Amex's lifetime language (not eligible for a SUB if you have or ever had this card). So the typical recommendation when you get an upgrade offer, for example, apply for the Aspire (the card you've never had) separately so you're eligible for the SUB and that welcome offer is attached to the new Aspire, then immediately after the new Aspire is approved go and accept the upgrade offer for the upgrade bonus. In this example, you'll end up with 2 Aspires, 2 AFs, 2x $4k MSRs, some duplicative benefits, but it's a way around Amex's lifetime restrictions for more Hilton points, 2x $250 resort credits, 2x FWNCs, and 2x $250 airline credits.

So the point is you need to be looking at and comparing the current offer(s), even against historical offers that may come around again, as well as thinking ahead a year or more as to what your plan is for this card (or cards), be ready to jump when the opportunity presents itself, and an idea how to meet MSR and spend the credits. In my above hypothetical, signing up for a new Aspire next year will add a card to your */24, but it's not as bad if you've got 3 cards dropping off at the end of 2021. If you've got 2x Aspires, and DH has his one, that's $750 in resort credits you could use at the Grand Wailea by asking the front desk to do a split charge on all 3 cards. And you'll still have a nice stash of points and FWNCs to plan your next trip.

Anyway, a 15,000 Hilton points supportal from P2's Aspire brings you guys up to 207k-222k Hilton points. A 150k Hilton Surpass SUB would bring you up to 357k-372k Hilton points. The Surpass has a $2k MSR and earns a base rate of 3x Hilton. That's another 6,000 Hilton points. Add that, and you're at 363k-378k. You said you'd be spending on the Surpass towards the $15k required for a FWNC. That's a minimum of $13k on top of the MSR, x3 (hopefully you hit some of those 6x bonus categories), so at least 39,000 Hilton points, which would put you over the 380,000 Hilton points you need for 5 nights at the Grand Wailea.

That's not even including MRs (>Hilton) from Amex MR cards you could be signing up for in the next year, that you can use to "top off" for any Hilton points you still need.

I definitely think you can get all this in place by the end of this year.

One more thing, if preserving your */24 status is important to you, have you considered the Hilton Biz? It doesn't have an upgrade path to the Surpass>Aspire like the personal Hilton cards, but it won't count against 5/24, usually has a comparable SUB as the Surpass, earns 6x Hilton points on gas/restaurants/shipping/flights/wireless bills, and also earns a FWNC with $15k spend/calendar year.
Keep in mind that P2 can still use his Aspire to support you to a Hilton Biz. But obviously, compare offers and historical offers (search DoC).

I found the Hilton Biz a bit difficult to put spend on beyond MSR since the categories didn't work for me and I canceled it after a year. (Fortunately, I was spending heavily on my other Amex cards.) However, if you're spending $15k/calendar year on the Hilton Biz towards the FWNC, then that should keep the pop up away and Amex happy to approve you for more cards down the line.
Does Hilton let you do fifth night free and use FWNC on the same reservation?
Fifth night free has to be all on points. The FWNC won't count. However, you can use the FWNC for a sixth or seventh night on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, in addition to your five nights on points.
Thanks!
Just making sure I got this right because we are looking at GW for next year also. So for a 6 night stay we could book 4 nights on points (380,000), get the 5th night free, and then the 6th night with the FWNC (as long as it's a Fri-Sun) for a total of 380,000?
@Lain Not the OP but wanted to say thanks so much for sharing all the Hilton Amex knowledge! :worship: I'm working on Hawaii for summer 2021 and this is so helpful! You all have made me want to spend a few nights at GW! Well you all and the gorgeous pics! I've been to Oahu a few times but no other islands and would love to visit Maui.
I remembered reading that unofficially, you can. But it's not a particularly good value. No first hand knowledge and no idea if it's still the case.

Towards the end of the post:
https://awardwallet.com/blog/essential-tips-hilton-honors-5th-night-free-free-night-certificates/
I did the same for our stay at the WA Maldives. Also the CSR at Hilton told me that they award bonus points (current promo is 2,000 HH points / stay) to stays on points. Our 1 week stay is broken up in to 3 parts (to accomodate the FNC and added an extra night on after initial reservation) and we will get 6,000 points, which is crazy for a free stay. But who am I to question!
This is so great to hear. I had it in my head that only the Bonbon certs could be extended.

giphy.gif

@Lain
I genuinely appreciate you taking time out of your day to write up the Hilton post for me. I personally see more value in the Surpass as a keeper card, but again having it take a x/24 slot complicates the decision for me. The highest SUB I can pull up with DH support is 125k. Yes, I did get 15k MR’s for support to the Aspire.
As to Hilton extending the FWN cert, I’m a bit nervous. I expect his Aspire cert to be valid Apr 20-Apr 21, which means they would be extending it 8 months. That seems like a big ask 🤷🏼‍♀️ And his next cert won’t come until April 21, which will probably be too late to book a standard room at Christmas. With that being said I’m hoping to get one of my own FWN hitting the 15k spend by late December this year. Christmas is tricky due to availability of standard rooms seeming to go quickly.

I appreciate all the feedback I have received. It helps me process 😆

ETA:so many edits

I didn't even have Hawaii on my radar, but once again all the talk made me look into it again. The GW looks amazing, but can't do five in a standard room.

You should earn Hyatt points with Costco Travel:

https://www.costcotravel.com/Hotels/Hyatt

https://www.costcotravel.com/Info/Hotel-FAQs?loc=middleContent&pos=H1
So if you can enter your Hyatt number, you should be able to earn points on your room.

That's not nothing. Hyatt members earn 5x points/$1. At $900, that's 4,500 points. For reference, the Hyatt Place near DLR, at the corner of Harbor+Katella is a Category 4 hotel that goes for 15k points/night standard, and 12k off peak or 18k peak effective 3/22.

As for breakfast, technically you need to be a Hyatt member and have booked directly through Hyatt. As a practical matter, I don't think it matters because it's almost never enforced. So the difference is the $12 credit.

If you booked directly and paid with a Hyatt credit card, you'd earn another 4x points/$1 for a total of 9x points/$1 on your Hyatt purchase. A $900 room then gets you 8.1k points. As a Hyatt cardmember, you get automatic Discoverist status, which gets you a 10% bonus on points earned on Hyatt purchases. So those 8.1k points will get you another 810 points, so you'd end up with 8.9k points. (The Hyatt credit card comes with a Category 1-4 free night certificate after your cardmember anniversary and after you spend $15k on the card during your cardmember year.)

And, Hyatt periodically runs stay bonuses, like the current one running through 5/31 where Hyatt credit cardmembers can earn 1,500 points for each qualifying stay, starting with the second stay, that includes a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night.

Not to mention, the Hyatt card has a tiered 50k Hyatt points SUB for $6k combined spend in 3 months, and UR points transfer to Hyatt 1000:1000.

You'll be back to DLR in no time.

:thumbsup2

P.S. I know it's not the sexiest use of URs, but have you considered transferring some of your URs to Hyatt and booking the room as award nights? It would save you $900. :confused3

P.P.S. On the other hand, I believe Costco Travel codes as travel for 3x UR on the CIP/CSR.

That's exactly the location I have booked! :)

I technically do have a Hyatt number (must have registered at some point and forgotten about it) but it has precisely zero points on it. No Hyatt credit card tho.

And since my UR balance all went out the window when I went to Japan... this will (sadly) be a cash stay. Well. I have about 7000 URs right now but that's pretty much zero as far as anything useful is concerned!

Thanks for all that info! That's amazing!

I think a similar case could be made for cash stays booked directly with Hilton and paid with an Amex Hilton Aspire card. The Aspire earns 14x Hilton points/$ and comes with automatic Diamond status, which gets you 20x Hilton points/$. That stacks to a minimum of 34x Hilton points/$. Hilton also runs frequent stay promotions, including the current Points Unlimited promo running though 5/3 where you can earn a bonus of 2,000 points per stay, plus 10,000 points every 10 nights. (And when booking a cash stay, don’t forget to book through a shopping portal like Rakuten.)

ETA: Here’s an example of some monster earnings at Hilton (from 2018; promos change periodically).
https://thepointsguy.com/news/hilton-quarter-four-double-triple-points-promotion/

I have stays booked at Hiltons over the next several months (including 2 related to my Japan trip) but they're all booked on points so no nice earnings there (not that I am complaining!). I do like though that you can "book with cash and points" on their website. That is very very handy.
I'm also waiting - I applied on Monday (2/17) and I'm still getting the 30 day message...
Just tried again and still waiting too!

I have stays booked at Hiltons over the next several months (including 2 related to my Japan trip) but they're all booked on points so no nice earnings there (not that I am complaining!). I do like though that you can "book with cash and points" on their website. That is very very handy.
Did you sign up for the bonus they have going now? It's not a lot, but that 2000 points/stay bonus is good for points stays as well. It goes until May 3. My 2000 points posted within a few days of my stay last week. https://www.hiltonhonors.com/en_US/...c9c_All,MULTIPR,Interact,Multipage,SingleLink

Did you sign up for the bonus they have going now? It's not a lot, but that 2000 points/stay bonus is good for points stays as well. It goes until May 3. My 2000 points posted within a few days of my stay last week. https://www.hiltonhonors.com/en_US/...c9c_All,MULTIPR,Interact,Multipage,SingleLink
Gosh I don't think I did. I booked those a couple months ago already.

But I will take a look. Thanks!

ETA: Apparently I HAD registered. And I have a stay on points in March! Although it's technically at a Homewood Suites by Hilton or something (I cannot keep all the names straight!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter