I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. Dipping my toes every so slightly in here. We are getting ready to pay off our "bigger" card with our tax refund, and after looking at how much DH spent on his business stuff last year (he's a self-employed electrician) we definitely need to be using some sort of rewards card.

We have 0/24.
DH has a chase freedom card, and I have a chase freedom card, but these are both at least 6 years old. I "get" how the 5% categories work, using the "bonus" categories by shopping through the UR page, etc.

• What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)?
    Right now we put about $800/mo in gas onto one (my) card. The other card (the one we are paying off) is for stuff like emergency vet bills, unexpected medical bills, hotel reservations, etc and is rarely used. Once the other card is paid off I'd be open to using a card for things such as groceries, phone bill, internet, etc.

• Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest?
    We pay the previous month's balance, so we aren't paying it down to 0, but we aren't paying any interest.

• What airport(s) do you typically fly out of?
    We rarely fly. Family of 6 now, so it's usually significantly less expensive to drive. Plus the nearest large-ish airport is 2.5 hours away, and the one with flights that don't typically have 2+ layovers is 4.5 hours away.

• Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program?
    No. See above.

• Does SOUTHWEST Airline service your airport?
    Yes.

• Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference?
    No, but I like Marriott. We usually only stay in hotels when we are traveling on a trip, typically 1-2x a year, and only stay for one night on the way to our destination.

• Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? (if so, which programs and how much)
    We have around 65,000 UR points between the 2 cards.

• What at your specific goals for churning credit cards?
    I guess maybe funding a cruise (probably Carnival) in 2022 for the family? We are getting a bit "Disneyed-out" since we've made quite a few trips there (for us) in the last 4 years. *I* could go to Disney a few times a year but my family is kind of over it at this point. Churning makes me nervous because it's a lot to keep track of and stay on top of. I don't know that DH will be on-board for more than mild churning because of staying on top of it and it being tied to his credit score (that's the reasoning he'll use.) I also prefer to pretty much just stockpile points/rewards and use them to purchase the actual thing, or in a 2-step process (for example we just used a promo at our grocery store to "save" 10% on Disney GCs, which...the savings are just store credits that I used to buy groceries, so we still had to pay the value of the GCs but we "saved" by not having to pay the promo total for the gift cards.)

OK. Dipping my toes every so slightly in here. We are getting ready to pay off our "bigger" card with our tax refund, and after looking at how much DH spent on his business stuff last year (he's a self-employed electrician) we definitely need to be using some sort of rewards card.

We have 0/24.
DH has a chase freedom card, and I have a chase freedom card, but these are both at least 6 years old. I "get" how the 5% categories work, using the "bonus" categories by shopping through the UR page, etc.

• What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)?
    Right now we put about $800/mo in gas onto one (my) card. The other card (the one we are paying off) is for stuff like emergency vet bills, unexpected medical bills, hotel reservations, etc and is rarely used. Once the other card is paid off I'd be open to using a card for things such as groceries, phone bill, internet, etc.

• Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest?
    We pay the previous month's balance, so we aren't paying it down to 0, but we aren't paying any interest.
    We rarely fly. Family of 6 now, so it's usually significantly less expensive to drive. Plus the nearest large-ish airport is 2.5 hours away, and the one with flights that don't typically have 2+ layovers is 4.5 hours away.

No. See above.

Yes.

No, but I like Marriott. We usually only stay in hotels when we are traveling on a trip, typically 1-2x a year, and only stay for one night on the way to our destination.

• Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? (if so, which programs and how much)

I guess maybe funding a cruise (probably Carnival) in 2022 for the family? We are getting a bit "Disneyed-out" since we've made quite a few trips there (for us) in the last 4 years. *I* could go to Disney a few times a year but my family is kind of over it at this point. Churning makes me nervous because it's a lot to keep track of and stay on top of. I don't know that DH will be on-board for more than mild churning because of staying on top of it and it being tied to his credit score (that's the reasoning he'll use.) I also prefer to pretty much just stockpile points/rewards and use them to purchase the actual thing, or in a 2-step process (for example we just used a promo at our grocery store to "save" 10% on Disney GCs, which...the savings are just store credits that I used to buy groceries, so we still had to pay the value of the GCs but we "saved" by not having to pay the promo total for the gift cards.)

continue grabbing UR earning cards, CSP/CSR, Ink cards. You can use URs to pay your cruise via the portal.
Do you fly to other cities a lot? While grabbing more UR cards, u can also consider those SouthWest cards for Companion pass. basically a buy one get one free ticket.

After ur done with 5/24, move onto Amex, i believe most of your categories u spend heavily in is better covered on amex side. Groceries with the Gold card, Gas with the Gold Biz card.

edit: u can also mix the gold biz card into the mix somewhere in ur 5/24 as chase wont see that app.

I’ve done this for MSR. That would be first choice if needed. Though I am liking GCM to hit MSR and get 5x on CIC.

Must be my Walmart or at least the manager I ran into. I tried to do 500 and was told cash register is 200 and go to money center for anything more.
I’m guessing it was the manager you had. I’ve done 3 $200s in one transaction. Most the time they make me do 3 different transactions though

continue grabbing UR earning cards, CSP/CSR, Ink cards. You can use URs to pay your cruise via the portal.
Do you fly to other cities a lot? While grabbing more UR cards, u can also consider those SouthWest cards for Companion pass. basically a buy one get one free ticket.

After ur done with 5/24, move onto Amex, i believe most of your categories u spend heavily in is better covered on amex side. Groceries with the Gold card, Gas with the Gold Biz card.

edit: u can also mix the gold biz card into the mix somewhere in ur 5/24 as chase wont see that app.

what can the csp/csr/ink cards do for us that our current cards cannot? the rewards % is just .5% higher? or is it where i can transfer UR points to the s/ink cards to get better value?

After reading all the posts about the different Hilton cards, you've got me thinking I need to keep the Surpass and ditch the Biz card next October.

But I'll go back and ask, in general when you have both cards (personal and business) and the perks are basically the same, which is better to keep? Since Amex only allows for 5 slots, and I have 4 filled, and no reasons to keep both the regular AND business cards, which makes sense to close?

I'm also trying to decide which AA card to keep open....In the past I planned on keeping the Barclay AAviator because they had the 10% back on miles (when you flew) but they took that away. So now the question is, keep the AAviator or the Citi Biz (card #2, never got the SUB on it). My AF for the Citi hits in June, so I'm thinking that might be the one that gets cancelled (vs Sept for the Barclay).
I will say I'm happy there is another VGC offer at Staples. I want to knock out my CIP MSR, 1556.41 to hit by 4/4/20 (I love that the app has a tracker). I know Amex doesn't like the VGC when hitting a SUB, but if I'm going after the Hilton free night (might as well try on both cards since I got stuck with the AF on the surpass, grrrrr) do they care?

For Amex, personal cards seem to have better retention and upgrade bonuses. So in general, I'd say personal cards for Amex, but it'll depend on the specifics.

Are you keeping one of the AA cards for the free checked bag? Will you check enough bags to get back the AF? I think they each have different little perks, if any of those matter to you. If not and if you plan to travel internationally, Barclay cards are true chip and pin.

what can the csp/csr/ink cards do for us that our current cards cannot? the rewards % is just .5% higher? or is it where i can transfer UR points to the s/ink cards to get better value?
These cards give higher redemption rates through UR portal than the CF. They also allow you to transfer to travel partners, which the CF does not.

What?!? I didn’t know about this!
Can you share more info? Just buy $500 VCG from GCM? What the cost?
Rereading I see how that might be misunderstood. Funny in my head it sounded fine. But in writing it leaves something out.

So I am doing GCM for MSR on my Sw card. I can go through rebates for 1%. 500 is 5.95 fee - 5 (1%) nets to 0.95 fee.
GCM doesn’t code 5x. Then I use my CIC for the 5x at staples. I was meaning I don’t forgo 5x at staples for MSR since the fee at GCM is so low with ebates.

Obviously this is not safe for Amex MSR. But this is what I did on CIP for MSR.

We have 0/24.

No. See above.

Yes.

:welcome:
I would start with more Chase UR earning cards, since you can book a cruise through their travel portal
Since your DH has a business he could apply for the Chase Ink Preferred, you receive a 80k UR bonus after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months...he could then send you a support link, he would earn a 20k Bonus when you are approved. After the spend is complete on both CIPs you would have an additional 190k URs...which can be pooled with your other URs.

The advantage to opening new cards is the high sign up bonuses,
Business cards
CIP is 80k URs after a $5k spend in the first 3 months
CIC and CIU are 50k URs after 3k
Personal cards
CSP is 60k URs after $4k
CSR is 50k URs after $4k

the CIP and CSP can be redeeming for travel through the Chase portal at 1.25, the CSR at 1.5

You can go slowly applying for cards... my DH was also concerned about his credit score, but we apply for cards slowly, max of 4 a year and his credit score has actually gone up

If you would like to join our private Reddit group pm @SouthFayetteFan, @Lain or @Albort

Last edited:

Besides the earning structure of the points of the 2 Sapphire cards, the biggest benefit to you would be booking through the Chase travel portal. Say you wanted to go on a $5000 cruise. With the Freedom card you would need 500,000 UR points to erase that charge. If you had the CSP card, your points are worth 1.25, so that same cruise you would need 400,000 UR points if booking through the portal. If you had the CSR card where points are worth 1.5 when booking through the portal, you would only need 333,333 UR points.

They're really pushing Barclay's AAviator red cards on AA flights and at the airport. Very strange.

They're really pushing Barclay's AAviator red cards on AA flights and at the airport. Very strange.

875.gif

For Amex, personal cards seem to have better retention and upgrade bonuses. So in general, I'd say personal cards for Amex, but it'll depend on the specifics.

Are you keeping one of the AA cards for the free checked bag? Will you check enough bags to get back the AF? I think they each have different little perks, if any of those matter to you. If not and if you plan to travel internationally, Barclay cards are true chip and pin.

I plan on keeping the card for the free bag, and to earn points on them. When I'm not meeting a MSR, I use my AA cards w/ the VGC promos to easy add miles. No international travel plans right now. Plus at some point I would like to get a dang Barclay Biz card.

Found out they want to hire me, yay! So that finalizes me strategy, open to opinion if it'd work.

1st choice hilton surpass
2nd if not out of hilton popup plat, unless.gold would be better. I know people that get the hilton popup have no issues with mr. I only have dl biz and have been putting all spend on it for last 3 weeks and will continue til I can apply this thurs.

If I have to try for mr card I will wait til the 1st to prolong af hitting, or does that not matter with amex.

3rd :drinking1but I need to lower limits first

Typed this on my phone, too hard/lazy to fix.

We have 0/24.

No. See above.

Yes.

Get ready team I'm going to take a totally different approach! That doesn't involve URs ****GASP****

Hahaha- sorry @Herding_Cats that was a little joke for our regulars :) Love your name BTW!

So I think you might actually be looking at a Cash Is King situation here... It sounds like you're doing a bit of a re-shuffle credit card wise and looking to make your spend work for you while getting yourself fully caught up and into a more comfortable spot finance wise- cash is king for doing that. The other reason I see Cash Is King is because your travel goals are so far out. Nobody knows what URs are going to look like in 2022, or Amex MR points or hotel or airline points. There could be massive devaluations in the value of points between now and then in any program. Makes cash a bit more stable. While URs are my favorite out of the points because of the 1 cent per point cashout value- they don't do you any good just sitting there. As long as you keep yourself under 5/24 you can pick up UR bonuses later down the road, especially since all the business cards are available to you and your DH.

So my recommendation is actually going to be American Express Blue Cash Preferred. The bonus isn't eye popping, I think it's about $250 right now (try opening the application link in incognito mode on your browser or mobile phone to see if you get a $300 offer) for $1,000 spend and it does have a $95 annual fee. But don't let the fee scare you, it offers 6% back on grocery stores and 3% back on gas.. Since gas is your main spending category right now, groceries will be added to the mix soon and you could probably use the cash to set yourself up for better stuff later, it leads me up to recommending this card.

If you decide you want it do you or your DH currently have any Amex cards? If so you can "support" (refer) the other person by using their link. If neither of you has an Amex card hit up SouthFayetteFan as suggested above and spread some cheer to a DISer :)

ETA: DO NOT use your own Amex generated support link to apply, a family member's is fine. Using your own link puts your bonus at risk of being clawed back and you at risk of being banned from the Amex support link program.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter