• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I was wrong about SSR...

ricapito

Mouseketeer
Firstly, I am (was) one of the SSR owners who panned SSR for being too industrial feeling and large. Admittedly, I was a supporter and contributor to the infamous "800 room apartment complex thread." I have just returned from a week at SSR with my BIL/SIL and their family and I'm happy to report I was very wrong. I'd caution anyone to first stay at SSR and let it "sink in" before criticizing it; a rushed tour through won't do it justice

I "get" SSR now. SSR was designed to be, and will be, it's own town. The town common area (theatre, spa, fitness center, pool, town common, faux church, arcade and so forth,) is large and can easily support the resort size. This will someday be a bustling downtown in itself. The theme grew on me quite a bit while I was there. One night my wife and I were sitting at the High Rock Springs pool after hours watching the kids swim while having a glass of wine and taking it all in and it hit us that this was "home." Once the landscaping matures, I agree with others who have said this will be the nicest landscaping of any DVC resort. The details are amazing, no corners were cut. The theme of SSR is "elegance," which may not be for everybody.

The "quiet pool" area in Congress park is absolutely beautiful, with elaborate fountains in all corners of the pool spraying water into the pool, beautiful landscaping, and of course an unmatched view of Downtown Disney. "Quiet" doesn't mean "small"- this pool is huge for a secondary pool. It abuts a play area and viewing area for DTD that has yet another beautiful fountain (there are quite a few fountains at SSR). Having stayed at and toured all other on property DVC resorts except for the Boardwalk, this is the nicest quiet pool area by far IMO. If they build another quiet pool area like this I'd think the Springs pool guest volume may not be too much of a problem.

The room was very richly appointed, the nicest (or again, most elegant) of any DVC room appointments I have seen yet. We had no problems with the room or CM's on-site at all. We liked having easy access to our car and had no problem with the outdoor hallways. It doesn't feel cheap at all, the building architecture and detail is first-rate, right down to the elaborate victorian elevators. The view of Downtown Disney was simply amazing.

I know there is another spa/fitness center thread ongoing, so I'll keep it short: The best on-site I've encountered, period. As for golf, I think the clubhouse for Lake Buena Vista Golf Club is right on site behind the main buildings, which I never knew. Nice feature.

Nits: 1. The Artists Palette is fine, but the resort needs a sit-down eatery. $12 for a six-pack of Mich Ultra, ouch! 2. The walkway to DTD was longer and less well-marked than I'd hoped, largely because the bridge over the channel is in the wrong spot. The walkway also had a dark area that surpirsed me. 3. Once done, some buildings without DTD views and a good distance from the town common might be a tough location to live with. 4. It is located off the beaten path...

Heard: 1. I took my daughter on a carriage ride at Port Orleans and the buggy driver (who I recognized from the stables at FW) said they are contemplating both finding a way to board some horses at SSR or at least minimally have a grazing pasture on-site. Once it's done he said they will also investigate carriage rides. 2. CM said SSR has been near 100% capacity since opening, in fact we tried a room upgrade this week from 1/2-1/7 for my BIL/SIL and they didn't have a single one bedroom available. He told me there were one bedrooms at other DVC resorts though if needed. I am going to be real angry if other DVC resort owners clamoring to get into SSR make it tough to book a room at my home resort. :)

In sum, we were surprised and impressed. If you want a large "happening" elegant resort this will be it. For a small cozy quiet getaway with folksy theming you should look elsewhere. My wife and BIL/SIL never stopped with the superlatives while we were there. They had no interest staying elsewhere in the future. Aside from the occasional VWL stay to get the very different theming and location I'd have to say this will be our home.

Take Care,

Bryan

Wow, thanks for a great review. We felt the same way during our recent visit. Specifically we liked the small town feeling of the various buildings near High Rock Springs. We enjoyed the resort community feel of SSR. We also liked the landscaping, the fountains, and the view of Downtown Disney. We are planning some landscaping changes to our home and took lots of pictures for inspiration!

Thanks again for a great review!

What a super trip report, Bryan!!! I am so glad for you that your family loved SSR. I think I would like it very much too! When we took our first trip home to OKW in October, we loved it and my mother kept saying but why would you stay anywhere else? Same with my DH. I feel good about that because it means we bought somewhere we will always love to stay :love: I'm glad you feel that way about SSR. The horses and carriage rides would make an extra special touch...

Lisa :flower:

Thanks for a thorough and great review. Doubt we will have much urge to stay at SSR, but you never know (and 37 years is a long time, LOL), and you make it sound great.

Well tyhat was the best description of SSR I have read yet. I think it rem,inds me alot of Celebration (where I want to move badly but DH wont have it :( ). Thanks so much for the report! I tooi think it is going to be mind blowing when it is finished since I love it so much now :)

Interesting report. Thanks.

We visited, this summer, and noticed the "downtown" feel. The victorian style buildings there reminded me of my little hometown in the north-east. I didn't quite understand the purpose of most of these buildings though. After the construction is gone and the landscape matures, it'll have a very nice character against the backdrop of DtD. And then I don't think WDW is done with DtD. I'm sure there will will be further investments there: shopping, dining, entertainment.

thanks for the great review, i read your first review previously on the 800 room ect etc thread and it was pretty rough and after that Im glad to see you didnt shy away from posting a somewhat completely opposing viewpoint.

i guess you are not still thinking of dumping SSR and buying VWL

Bryan,

Great report, We stayed there for the first time in September during Hurricane Francis. We were there for a weeks vacation with 5 days at our home resort of VWL. We wanted to experience this new resort even though it is far from being finished.

Needless to stay our stay there was surpurb. The resort survived the Hurricane with minimal damage, mostlt newly planted trees down. Anyway the cast members made us feel really at home, cared for our well being right through the storm.

Afterward they had a character party for us which was really great. I too enjoyed the quiet pool behind Congress Park and my grandson got to experience the main pool and it's slide.

We were so impressed, we have added on there and have another trip planned for April 2005 time frame and will be staying there.

I'm really looking forward to our next trip so I will be able to experience the resort as it's fullest.

Kennyk :cool1:

Bryan,
Thank you so much for posting this. I am glad you have changed your mind about SSR. I am a new DVC owner and SSR is my home resort, and I haven't even seen it yet (except in pictures, of course). I think the atmosphere there is just my style and I'm really looking forward to it. And I was glad to read a positive review. I agree with you, that it will be upsetting if people clamoring to stay there, make it hard for us to stay at our own home resort. We'll just have to think positive. Thanks again for this review. :flower1:

I filled out a very flattering survey to Disney describing our one night stay at SSR. There will be times when SSR will be our first choice to stay, I'm sure. We especially enjoyed the quiet pool that you described so well.

Bobbi :flower:

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and descriptive report. I'm glad that you gave it a try and found it to your liking! OKW has a similar problem where people who drive through or just read the literature form a negative opinion. Often times a stay there changes their minds, too. I sometimes treat my cousins and when I ask if it's okay to book another resort if OKW isn't available they always say yes, but we REALLY want OKW! (They haven't seen SSR completed yet. :smooth: )

We owe it to ourselves to at least try the resorts. Even when a particular DVC resort isn't to our personal liking, it's still a quality resort that does have special appeal to others. Personally, I love 'em all. ;)

Great report!!! We already have 3 visits planned this year to SSR.When we stayed in oct. 04 we decided to only go to our new home for now. Maybe we will try some other place a few years from now.We really like the relaxed feeling you can get just hanging out at the quiet pool.And the views at night are great. :wave:

"I am going to be real angry if other DVC resort owners clamoring to get into SSR make it tough to book a room at my home resort."

This was tongue in cheek Athenna, based on other threads expressing concern about SSR owners invading other resorts (I'm not adept with the face icons).... And of course, I was one of those owners...so I was also making fun of my self a bit. I don't care if others enjoy it.

Thanks for the great trip report! You perfectly captured our feelings about SSR's small town feel and elegant furnishings. We live in upstate NY (not too far from the real Saratoga Springs) so that style of architecture is very familiar to us. We also loved our stay at SSR this past November and look forward to many, many more.

:flower1:

Great report! Two of the minor complaints you had I agree with-1. That walkway to DTD was surprisingly confusing and not well-lit, 2. Prices at Artists Palette are rather high. $23 for 2 sandwiches and 3 regular size beverages is rather steep. One positive, though, is that I'll definitely look forward to seeing SSR in several more years when the trees grow more. OKW's advantage is all the lush vegetation. Although SSR isn't lush yet, those plants are young, and I know from experience that those palm trees (Washingtonians) grow very fast. So I really look forward to staying at SSR again. What building were you in? We had a gorgeous view of the DTD lagoon (just last Saturday nite?) and loved watching the ferries.

We just bought... Got our contract last week. We were still on the fence for our initial purchase... Re-Sale vs. SSR... Reading this thread makes me VERY comfortable with our decision. For a few extra dollars, SSR as our first "home" is the way to go... Thanks for all the very positive feedback!

Loved your report! You took me back home. We enjoyed the same things while we were there last week! It's more of a feeling you get while staying there than when you just stop by. That's the feeling we had, like we were at a small town retreat for our health and well being. But so close to DTD and the parks.

I wanted to add, that when I attended Member Homecoming in May 2004, DVC gave us a visual of what they were trying to accomplish with SSR and your "bustling downtown" remark captured that perfectly. They had CM's in period victorian dress strolling through the common areas and you really did feel and capture that elegance.

ricapito said:
...SSR was designed to be, and will be, it's own town...
Thanks for the excellent report Bryan. Positive SSR experiences like your's will certainly benefit all DVCers in the long run.

My only hope is that when the build out is complete this "bustling" little community isn't over-run with 3200 people all trying to cram onto one bus for a 20 minute inter-resort ride to their room.

Thanks for the report, Bryan. And more than anything, I'm glad you had an enjoyable stay!

I agree with this discription. We stayed at SSR ( our home ) after the 10 day holiday cruise. On New Years Eve we could see three different fireworks displays from our balcony. The fireworks display over the lake between downtown disney and SSR was one of the best I have ever experienced. This is a great resort. We purchased in January of 2004 and added on in December 2004 even before we visited. We have not been disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter