• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I was wrong about SSR...

How nice to read a report like this.

Important to remember that each resort has theming and are all unique and to be appreciated for what they are.

Granny said:
Bryan....I agree with others who indicate that this is one of the best descriptions of the look and feel of SSR that I have read. :D

Thanks for the kind words.

Great Review! We recently toured SSR but only had a short amount of time. This review did a great job filling in the blanks of how it would feel to stay there.

It's funny because I stayed at SSR at the beginning of Oct. All I could do was think that the people complaining about the industrial look of SSR were on drugs.

I didn't try to find the walkway to DtD but agree about AP. I had heard it wasn't that great but had hoped that it was an exaggeration. It wasn't.

It should be interesting to visit this resort in a couple of years.

So glad to see that you have the SSR bug now! We bought site unseen in Oct 03 but we liked the idea of it and had never stayed at any other DVC resort. We stayed there Dec 04 for the first time and I just knew that when it was done, it wasn going to be beautiful! They have not disappointed me!

Here is my "non-DTD" view from one of the Paddock building. Not a bad view at all and not hard to live with!
56002SSR-View2.jpg

D4D

tjkraz said:
Ouch!!!

Yes, there most definitely is a path that runs in the other direction. It takes you out very close to the main road to actually cross the bridge over the waterway, but it is a MUCH quicker walk. We made it from the DD Marketplace bus stops to the first SSR building in less than 5 minutes.

We knew about the path before we arrived, but the CM that checked us in actually highlighted it on the map we were given without being prompted. Too bad you weren't as lucky. :(

We were in the furthest building at CP last month and it was only about a 5 min walk to DTD, you come out at the Marketplace bus stop.

It's so nice to hear good things about SSR, especially from someone who didn't care for it in the past. I don't have a stay there planned yet, but I do look forward to staying there at some point.

Great review Bryan! I really enjoyed reading it. It makes me want to get back to SSR!

Great report, nice option to have available. :cool1:

I loved SSR! The bus ride to and from PI was REALLY short. Had a good sandwich at Artists Palette even if it was expensive. And they've got a nice main pool, bet the others are nice, too. I might be back there in May if there's availability for my holding points, or July if I want to borrow a few more.

I just came back from SSR and have changed my mind as well. The studio seemed smaller than the others...I have to wonder if the airconditioning unit takes up some of the apparent space Disney lists in their 355. I LOVED my view in Congress Park. I also loved the Congress Park pool. The location of the ferrystop is a real puzzler...I can see guests in some of the under construction buildings taking advantage of it but it seems way out of the way for Congress Park, The Springs and The Paddocks. I forgot to experiment with catching a boat up to Port Orleans or Old Key West.

The return bus from EPCOT was a tad annoying...everyone got off in Congress Park yet the pools were never packed (and the weather was great poolwise) and the parking lot wasn't even remotely full)... Ya had to wonder where they all were going...

Given the high level of road noise I don't think I'll ever be ecstatic about being located in The Paddock area. The constant roar of busses and the murmuring from I-4 could be annoying...but Disney did make the rooms quite noise proof... People complain about the road view in BCV...I can't imagine what they will think about the Paddocks. And the last set of buildings they are working on seem to be pretty far from everything except one group that is not that far from common area.

I though they did a pretty good job of giving the people with the worst views (parking lots, roads, other buildings and not much landscaping) something in exchange...close proximity to the common areas, a short walk to the busstop or the pool. Speaking of pools...the Paddock pool is postage stamp sized...couldn't quite figure out why it wasn't made even slightly bigger...hopefully they will build another one as nice as the CP pool.

The other thing is that the size of the resort seems to be begging for some other activity for adults besides golf and spa... Bringing back some of the Disney Institute classes at the location might not be the worst idea.

PS. The carpet already had a couple of cigarette burns in it and my neighbors in the one bedroom were smoking inside the non-smoking unit...not on the balcony mind you. I'm thinking a second more sensitive smoke detector might be just the thing...rather than setting off an alarm it could just be Mickey's voice repeatedly saying "Ya know, smoking is not allowed in this unit". Fortunately the way the connecting doors were created meant that I didn't suffer very much with this...just a nagging sense of cigarette smoke near the front door.

The resort is totally horrible and I would not want golf balls coming through my window again.
The hurricane really made a mess of our room with the open walkways.
My wife still has spring marks on her back from the poor beds.
The bar was too close to the pool causing me to walk with a lean back to our room 10 miles away.
Thank god those fireworks have been cancelled as they were so long they kept us awake all night.
We really missed our chicken fingers and hamburgers at that place for dentists or is it artists
We were badly burned from the lack of sunbeds in the shade.
My wife got seasick on the way over to Pleasure Island and was glad when the bus reeached its journey's end.

doubletrouble_vb said:
Speaking of pools...the Paddock pool is postage stamp sized...couldn't quite figure out why it wasn't made even slightly bigger...hopefully they will build another one as nice as the CP pool.
I admit I haven't seen the quiet pool in the Paddock section, but I would think they should have made this pool larger since it is the furthest away from High Rock Springs.

doubletrouble_vb said:
PS. The carpet already had a couple of cigarette burns in it and my neighbors in the one bedroom were smoking inside the non-smoking unit...not on the balcony mind you. I'm thinking a second more sensitive smoke detector might be just the thing...rather than setting off an alarm it could just be Mickey's voice repeatedly saying "Ya know, smoking is not allowed in this unit". Fortunately the way the connecting doors were created meant that I didn't suffer very much with this...just a nagging sense of cigarette smoke near the front door.
Sounds like you had some bad luck with smoking neighbors in a non-smoking unit.

pmcpmc said:
The resort is totally horrible and I would not want golf balls coming through my window again.
The hurricane really made a mess of our room with the open walkways.
My wife still has spring marks on her back from the poor beds.
The bar was too close to the pool causing me to walk with a lean back to our room 10 miles away.
Thank god those fireworks have been cancelled as they were so long they kept us awake all night.
We really missed our chicken fingers and hamburgers at that place for dentists or is it artists
We were badly burned from the lack of sunbeds in the shade.
My wife got seasick on the way over to Pleasure Island and was glad when the bus reeached its journey's end.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

...and of course the complaint of no sit down restaurant is being rectified.

Now what else can we ask for?

Susan

That was a great review of SSR. We are going to try to stay there in 2 years. Yes, I plan that far ahead-LOL. I can't wait to try it. My only hesitation was the full service restaurant, and now that won't be an issue-I can't wait. :flower:

CRSNDSNY said:
Sounds like you had some bad luck with smoking neighbors in a non-smoking unit.

True. But!!! Kudos to Disney on creating a set up that mitigated the issue. Some of the older set ups would tend to allow the smoke to enter the unit (had that problem at HH...in that case we were non-smokers in a smoking unit).

Heh heh heh... the 26 second fireworks?

They're going away in January, in case anyone can't wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter