• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I was wrong about SSR...

I couldn't agree more with your report. We stayed at SSR for a week last July, and liked it so much that we tried to stay there again for New Year's, unfortunately, it was filled. We were able to find availability at VWL, and while it is a beautifully themed resort, it just wasn't home.

Of course, we made sure to pop in on our home resort during our stay and it just reinforced the feelings we have. Others may dislike it for one reason or another, but we love it and look forward to many trips there in the upcoming 50 years! :smooth:

Buzz's Buddy said:
We stayed at SSR for a week last July, and liked it so much that we tried to stay there again for New Year's, unfortunately, it was filled. We were able to find availability at VWL...

That fact alone deserves its own post. :D

Great report! Two of the minor complaints you had I agree with-1. That walkway to DTD was surprisingly confusing and not well-lit, 2. Prices at Artists Palette are rather high. $23 for 2 sandwiches and 3 regular size beverages is rather steep. One positive, though, is that I'll definitely look forward to seeing SSR in several more years when the trees grow more. OKW's advantage is all the lush vegetation. Although SSR isn't lush yet, those plants are young, and I know from experience that those palm trees (Washingtonians) grow very fast. So I really look forward to staying at SSR again. What building were you in? We had a gorgeous view of the DTD lagoon (just last Saturday nite?) and loved watching the ferries.

Bryan-
Thanks so much for your trip report. We bought SSR last year and I have to admit, it wasn't my first choice but the financing appealed to us. However, in Sept. we spent the day at the pool there and loved it! Like you, I was surprised at my reaction. We can't wait to stay there next Sept.

I'm glad you were open-minded enough to try it and that you had a great trip!

Awesome review. We bought in '03 and are just about to go for the first time to stay at SSR and I can't wait. We also have a trip planned for Memorial Day to the Sagamore (on points) and we'll get to see the real Saratoga Springs for comparison!

Thank you for posting such a wonderful report. You have stated so well all the details that I also find so captivating about this resort.

Also...

they are contemplating both finding a way to board some horses at SSR or at least minimally have a grazing pasture on-site. Once it's done he said they will also investigate carriage rides

I suspected this--given a poster I received from DVC with horses in one quadrant of it and also just a hunch. This would be really wonderful. I think it's kind of needed to really put the finishing touches on the feel of the resort and can't wait for it!

Thanks for your great report on SSR. I booked a studio there for April for my family, and I was very worried about the resort. Comments like "apartment complex" were scaring the heck out of me, I was afraid I had made a mistake.
I look forward to staying there now, after reading this.
Just one question for you. The refillable mugs, is it true that the bar at the High Rock Springs pool refills them? This would work out great for us, because this is a vacation planned around rest and relaxation, and we plan to spend lots of time at the pool.

Thanks for the thoughtful report. How do you compare your new experience with staying off-site, as you so often have? Every new DVC resort that is a success enhances ALL of our memberships!

I enjoyed reading your report on SSR. Though I have not seen the resort personally, except to drive by the entrance this past November, it sounds as if SSR is a uiniquely wonderful addition to the DVC family.

Thank you so much for being able to admit that your first impression could have been a little off.

As to the Walkway to DD, did you use the one that leads to the end near Circque and PI, or the one that comes in near the bus stop at DD. I found the walkway near the DD bus stop to be well lit and easy to find. We did not use the other one as we were in the last building at Congress Park and it was further away.

Thanks for your comments. We'll be at SSR next month in a 2 bedroom, with family. If I would of had a choice, I would have picked another resort(DH picked SSR). I just can't help but feel that I will miss the "hotel" feel. You have given me new hope! I'm sure it will be fine (I'd be happy in a closet at WDW). I have driven through SSR several times, the first time I was really impressed, and the second(in Oct) not so impressed. :confused: I'm not sure whether it was the construction or what? Anyway, its nice to read all these good things about SSR.

The walkway that I'm complaining of is the one that runs along the parking lot and ends up at Cirque. I didn't realize there was another shorter one at the other end by the buses. Ironically, I actually walked from Rainforest Cafe all the way to Cirque to catch that path (with a 3 year old on my shoulders). I think part of the problem is that SSR seems so close to DTD that you you expect a 5 minute walk, but the DTD moat is much longer than it is wide, and therein lies the problem.

ricapito said:
The walkway that I'm complaining of is the one that runs along the parking lot and ends up at Cirque. I didn't realize there was another shorter one at the other end by the buses. Ironically, I actually walked from Rainforest Cafe all the way to Cirque to catch that path (with a 3 year old on my shoulders). I think part of the problem is that SSR seems so close to DTD that you you expect a 5 minute walk, but the DTD moat is much longer than it is wide, and therein lies the problem.

Oh man that is a long walk :( The path that runs by the rain forest actually goes into the streets sidewalk that is why you would never think it goes to SSR. It isn't until it turns to go to SSR that there is a sign that says the path is for resort guests only.

ricapito said:

Ouch!!!

Yes, there most definitely is a path that runs in the other direction. It takes you out very close to the main road to actually cross the bridge over the waterway, but it is a MUCH quicker walk. We made it from the DD Marketplace bus stops to the first SSR building in less than 5 minutes.

We knew about the path before we arrived, but the CM that checked us in actually highlighted it on the map we were given without being prompted. Too bad you weren't as lucky. :(

Of course, no matter where you stay I suspect it takes a trip or two to really learn all of the tricks. During our first stay at BWV it wasn't until our last day that we realized there was a stairwell about 20' away from our room that lead right down to the quiet pool area and the walking path to MGM. We spent the first part of the trip walking all the way to the lobby to get down. :confused3

We stayed in SSR in June and loved it.
After staying at VWL and feeling more at home there I was really starting to doubt having the "bulk" of my points at SSR and just a few at VWL.
However, after Liferbabe showing us Downtown Disney in a new light I am really glad we have a lot of points at SSR because I think as the kids get older downtown disney will be IT!
I'm looking forward to going and visiting when the resort is completed .

ricapito said:
The good news is that you took the more pleasant of the two routes. :) It is a bit longer, but much nicer than the other one that takes you out past a stagnant part of the lagoon, to the main road, and then back into DTD. Once the rest of SSR is open, the route you took should be shorter for many guests.

/Jim

Bryan....I agree with others who indicate that this is one of the best descriptions of the look and feel of SSR that I have read.

I am one of those who took a quick look last summer and thought it was elegant but possibly too big. I think it's very good to understand the "back story", or theming, behind a resort and then see how it plays through in all the details.

That's not to say that everyone will find that theming to their taste, but it does help take the resort out of the "timeshare" comparison and more into its own little niche of theming and feel.

Thanks for taking the time to write about your impressions. I know I tend to get a little caught up in the attraction of the theming of certain resorts, so I completely understand how you can now feel comfortable calling SSR home. :D

So glad you enjoyed SSR. We had a GREAT time there in September and athough we want to try all the DVC resorts we will go back definitely.

Disneynutmary, yes you can fill your mugs by the pool bar at High Rock Springs pool. What is great is that there is a self service window so you can do it yourself. It worked great for us. You can fill the mugs in AP too.

Does anyone know if the building near the bike rental place is a church? It looks like one but I haven't heard any details.

Mandy :earboy2:

This thread is most encouraging! I read the other thread about SSr being nothing but a glorified apartment complex and found it a little disconcerting to say the least! We are getting ready for our first trip home in March and now that I've read your post i'am most encouraged! As far as the horses go I think this would be amazing. We are horse owners and nothing beats the real thing for adding to the ambience! Great exposure for the kids too! We are getting really excited about the trip ! Can't wait! :jumping4: :Pinkbounc :jumping4:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter