If you are watching the coronation, are you team Camellia

If King Charles III dies before Queen Camilla, Prince William will become King, but I wonder whether Queen Camilla will be known as Queen Mother? Queen Stepmother sounds a little odd.
I think part of the Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother title was due to both of them being named Elizabeth. Queen Mary was called Queen Mary after George V died, so I would expect Camilla to be called Queen Camilla.

Quite sexist ... in more than one way.

Still no need for a crown.
In the Netherlands we will find out with our next monarch if they will update this.
In the 20th century, we had 3 queens in a row, all of their spouses remained prince. Currently we have a king and his wife became queen. Next will be a queen again.

Although last week we had some gossip that she is a lesbian. Which was already commented on by our PM: If our crown princess turns out to be a lesbian, we will cross that bridge when we get there to figure out what this will mean for the monarchy and the line of succession. Not getting ahead of ourselves.

In the Netherlands we will find out with our next monarch if they will update this.
In the 20th century, we had 3 queens in a row, all of their spouses remained prince. Currently we have a king and his wife became queen. Next will be a queen again.

Although last week we had some gossip that she is a lesbian. Which was already commented on by our PM: If our crown princess turns out to be a lesbian, we will cross that bridge when we get there to figure out what this will mean for the monarchy and the line of succession. Not getting ahead of ourselves.
Wow that is drama! Keeping the monarch current and modern. Are most of the public being supportive?

Quite sexist ... in more than one way.

Still no need for a crown.
Not really.
Traditionally a Queen Regnant such as Victoria or Elizabeth ll, a monarch who reigns in her own right, has her husband styled as Prince because he would appear to outrank her if he was styled as King. Albert and Philip are examples of this.
When a King is on the throne his wife becomes Queen Consort as with George Vl's wife, Elizabeth.
In common parlance neither the Regnant or Consort descriptors are used.

ford family

Wow that is drama! Keeping the monarch current and modern. Are most of the public being supportive?
That's drama? :D I always think of my royals as incredibly boring. Although, we do have some drama at the moment because the crown princess is threatened by the maffia, she had to go live at home again and stay at home except to go to uni.

I think because the Dutch have a 'live and let live' mentality... we don't really care a lot about our royal family? 'as long as it doesn't bother me, you do you.'

During Covid they had a little mishap, and press and politicians made a big deal out of it, asking for a public apology. While most Dutch people thought: yeah, so?

We might have a walkabout once a year. Church and state/monarchy is separate, so we do not see our royals each week going to church and get reports about it. We will see them 5 times a year for sure:
- King's Day, the King's birthday and everything in NL turns orange.
- 2 photo opportunities. The royal family has agreements with the press about photo opportunities, there are two official moments each year in Summer (at their home) and in Winter (when they go skiing).
- The start of our political year
- Christmas speech

Our royals are incredibly low key. All their other official engagements don't get a lot of press. If it's something special they might, or when we have other royals visiting NL. I had to read about their state visit to the Dutch Antilles earlier this year in the UK's Daily Mail. The Daily Mail loves my Queen's sense of style, so they report what she is wearing.

So, yeah, they still have a lot of support, but that's probably more because we are not that interested in them. ;-)

Sorry - ever since the nasty exposure of their messages to each other years ago (the one where he wanted to live in her trousers and be a ....), they both seem icky and decidedly NOT royal to me.

Regardless of their feelings for each other, she helped destroy a family. If he'd had a backbone, he should have chosen her over the crown years ago (if that was truly the situation). Their entire relationship has contributed to lots of pain for lots of people. Blech to the bulldog.

I think Camilla's only thought was: please don't drop it.

When you saw how much she was trying to fix her hair. Such a pity you cannot customize a crown like you can with a ring 😉
Actually you can. We were in London 3 weeks ago and saw the Crown Jewels. Our guide told us that the crowns the king and queen would be wearing weren’t there because they were being refitted for the coronation. 👑 👑

Sorry - ever since the nasty exposure of their messages to each other years ago (the one where he wanted to live in her trousers and be a ....), they both seem icky and decidedly NOT royal to me.

Regardless of their feelings for each other, she helped destroy a family. If he'd had a backbone, he should have chosen her over the crown years ago (if that was truly the situation). Their entire relationship has contributed to lots of pain for lots of people. Blech to the bulldog.
Did you ever read the transcript of the entire icky conversation? They were joking around by the time Charles says that he wanted to live in her pants. Camilla laughs and asks if he would reincarnate as her knickers. Charles jokes, with his luck he would become a tampon.

The final lines of the conversation can be said in any romcom:
Charles: "Your greatest achievement is to love me.”
Camilla: "I'd suffer anything for you. That's love. It's the strength of love."

Like it or not royals are no robots, they are people who have intimate relationships with one another. The call shouldnt have been tapped and made public. Everyone talks dirty in some way to their partner in the bedroom (or on the phone in this case 😉 ). I am sure William and Catherine say similar things to one another. They are in a healthy relationship, why wouldnt they spice up the conversation after the kids go to bed? It's natural.

Did they hurt lots of people, or just their families? With the good work they have done through their charities they have helped a lot more people than they have damaged.

People just don't want the mistress to win.

Last edited:
Did you ever read the transcript of the entire icky conversation? They were joking around by the time Charles says that he wanted to live in her pants. Camilla laughs and asks if he would reincarnate as her knickers. Charles jokes, with his luck he would become a tampon.

The final lines of the conversation can be said in any romcom:
Charles: "Your greatest achievement is to love me.”
Camilla: "I'd suffer anything for you. That's love. It's the strength of love."

Like it or not royals are no robots, they are people who have intimate relationships with one another. The call shouldnt have been tapped and made public. Everyone talks dirty in some way to their partner in the bedroom (or on the phone in this case 😉 ). I am sure William and Catherine say similar things to one another. They are in a healthy relationship, why wouldnt spice up the conversation after the kids go to bed? It's natural.

Did they hurt lots of people, or just their families? With the good work they have done through their charities they have helped a lot more people than they have damaged.

People just don't want the mistress to win.

I can only imagine how cringe worthy other people would find the things I say to DH and vice versa. We are not some suave lotharios let me tell you.

I have somewhat mixed feelings. I loved and admired Diana. Back in the day, Charles was pressured to marry a certain type of woman, and Camilla was deemed unacceptable. In hindsight, I feel like Diana was essentially used by the royal family, and yet I can also have empathy for Charles in that situation. I think he is a good person.

Many years have passed and the love between Charles and Camilla has endured. They’re in their 70’s and have now been married longer than Charles and Diana were. Camilla has proven to be dutiful in her service, and a loyal and supportive partner to Charles. So we, who don’t really know her, can judge her, or we can take a cue from Queen Elizabeth, who over time came to accept and respect her. And Elizabeth made her wishes known that Camilla was to become Queen, which is good enough for me.

King Charles won points with me when I learned from the concert that he likes squirrels. Any person that likes squirrels is right in my book! lol

Camilla I don't have an opinion either way on her, but I could just feel her anxiety on Saturday. She hardly looked over at Charles when they were sitting there during the ceremony and seemed to look over at the crowd directly off to the side for most of the duration (maybe at her children or grandchildren). I think anyone can redeem themselves if they make a genuine effort, which it appears she has done.

Camilla I don't have an opinion either way on her, but I could just feel her anxiety on Saturday. She hardly looked over at Charles when they were sitting there during the ceremony and seemed to look over at the crowd directly off to the side for most of the duration (maybe at her children or grandchildren).

It seemed to me that she was uncomfortable with the weight of the crown, and was just trying to hold her head straight.

Not really.
Traditionally a Queen Regnant such as Victoria or Elizabeth ll, a monarch who reigns in her own right, has her husband styled as Prince because he would appear to outrank her if he was styled as King. Albert and Philip are examples of this.
When a King is on the throne his wife becomes Queen Consort as with George Vl's wife, Elizabeth.
In common parlance neither the Regnant or Consort descriptors are used.

ford family
“He would appear to outrank her if he was styled as King”

How is it NOT sexist that kings are seen as more powerful than queens, though?

“He would appear to outrank her if he was styled as King”

How is it NOT sexist that kings are seen as more powerful than queens, though?
They aren't more powerful. The one with the power is the one in the royal line, not the one who marries in. QEII had as much "power" as Charles. Just different titles for the different sexes.

i think the whole situation was a sd, tragic mess, but at least Charles and Camilla are happy together. He needs someone he loves by his side, like his mother had his father.

I also wonder if some members of the public would still hate Camilla if she was as pretty as Diana. People seem to really enjoy hating and deriding women who are not seen as attractive. If Camilla looked like a model, everybody would be gushing over her and saying how romantic it was that Charles finally married the woman he loved. But since she's not considered pretty it's OK to call her names and laugh at her.

The attitude is "Why would Charles love her? Doesn't he know unattractive women don't deserve to be loved and it's wrong to love a woman who isn't pretty?"

Last edited:
i think the whole situation was a sd, tragic mess, but at least Charles and Camilla are happy together. He needs someone he loves by his side, like his mother had his father.

I also wonder if some members of the public would still hate Camilla if she was pretty as Diana. People seem to really enjoy hating and deriding women who are not seen as attractive. If Camilla looked like a model, everybody would be gushing over her and saying how romantic it was that Charles finally married the woman he loved. But since she's not considered pretty it's OK to call her names and laugh at her.

The attitude is "Why would Charles love her? Doesn't he know unattractive women don't deserve to be loved and it's wrong to love a woman who isn't pretty?"
I agree - and I also think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think of Diana as being exceptionally beautiful, she had an average, youthful look about her. I also don't consider Camilla to be ugly, past or present.

It is disappointing that women have their worth boiled down to their looks. I'm not sure why it's always a low blow that people go for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter