In Room H2O Products Now in Large Shareable Bottles?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say wow, but perhaps you don't live with someone who is immune compromised. Both my husband and son have serious asthma. A cold is a major event in our house. Taking precautions to avoid illness is second nature. We simply practise good hand hygiene. These dispensers are an impediment to that. I'll deal with it simply by bringing my own. They are gross though.

Same here, and my son was hospitalized the last time he had a cold because of his asthma, and he is sick a GOOD 10 days every time he gets a cold. Now he's on a steroid nebulizer every day, which suppresses his immune system. My asthma has lessened as I've gotten older, but was severe as a child, and my mom was a nurse (and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I never landed in the hospital myself). I wipe down surfaces before we eat and wash hands or use sanitizer, whichever is practical.

When my son is old enough to go to school, he's going to be exposed to all kinds of things. It's really a waste of my time to try to prevent every single illness now for him to just catch them in preschool. Plus, there are tons of surfaces that are just as gross as the bathroom...door handles come to mind. Also, playgrounds, indoor play places (like at restaurants), children's museums, pretty much any place geared toward little kids. I can't tell my kid he can't go play because I'm afraid he may get sick.

Everyone has to do what's right for them, but to be concerned about the bathroom and not, well, everywhere else doesn't seem productive to me.

Oh, and my kid picked up the respiratory illness that resulted in his hospitalization at Disney. Probably from some filthy handrail.

I'm not so much comfortable with people using only hand sanitizers. They do remove the germs, but not the dirt. Plus, to be effective, you have to scrub your hands at the very least 30+ seconds. Nobody I know do that. (And when told, they look very confused, even when directed to the fine print that clearly states this.)

As far as I concerned, I may do the 1+1 cleaning when I am in a public place: I use the soap, paper towels if any (or I shake my hands in the air, does not take that long to dry) then I use hand sanitizer to remove all the germs. This may sound a little over-zealous but I'm sure my hands are both clean AND bacteria-free.
Your absolutely right and that's part of the problem. I'm still trying to instill in my 5 year old the reason we sing Row ,row your boat twice at a pace. He's independent and doesn't quite comply so we go back and do it again. I'm gonna try the dirty hands apple science experiment next.

Same here, and my son was hospitalized the last time he had a cold because of his asthma, and he is sick a GOOD 10 days every time he gets a cold. Now he's on a steroid nebulizer every day, which suppresses his immune system. My asthma has lessened as I've gotten older, but was severe as a child, and my mom was a nurse (and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I never landed in the hospital myself). I wipe down surfaces before we eat and wash hands or use sanitizer, whichever is practical.

When my son is old enough to go to school, he's going to be exposed to all kinds of things. It's really a waste of my time to try to prevent every single illness now for him to just catch them in preschool. Plus, there are tons of surfaces that are just as gross as the bathroom...door handles come to mind. Also, playgrounds, indoor play places (like at restaurants), children's museums, pretty much any place geared toward little kids. I can't tell my kid he can't go play because I'm afraid he may get sick.

Everyone has to do what's right for them, but to be concerned about the bathroom and not, well, everywhere else doesn't seem productive to me.

Oh, and my kid picked up the respiratory illness that resulted in his hospitalization at Disney. Probably from some filthy handrail.
I agree with you. I realise that the real world has all kinds of germs, but when using the washroom, we can easily minimise the germs, so we do. Getting back to the soap dispensers, they will always stay wet and gross, inviting bacteria, mold, etc. That could be so easily eradicated by simply sticking with the small bottles. I don't like it. Why invite the filth? If I had greater confidence in Mousekeeping it wouldn't be an issue, but as I've said before, resort room showers that I've seen, have always been questionable in cleanliness. I stay about forty nights a year, and I have yet to get a shower that didn't have mold along the door, the ceiling, the threshold or in the corners.

I don't use the hotel shampoo but we do pay for it in our hotel rate. We actually send our Mickey shampoo & soaps to our Military troops over seas. I'm sure they bring a smile to our servicemen and women who receive them. After all, what's more American than Mickey Mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think this will be rolled out in all resorts - but I can see this being implemented in some moderate and all value resorts. I first saw these wall mounted dispensers in a hotel in London four years ago - and I stayed at a pretty sketchy Super 8 last month to save money, and saw them in that bathroom too... So in my mind this equals to "cheap".

As others mentioned, this is MAYBE $1 a day in hard costs for the individual bottles... And if this is the latest example of Disney is so focused on squeezing the most profit out of every customer, then it's a symptom of a much larger problem. :-(

I don't think this will be rolled out in all resorts - but I can see this being implemented in some moderate and all value resorts. I first saw these wall mounted dispensers in a hotel in London four years ago - and I stayed at a pretty sketchy Super 8 last month to save money, and saw them in that bathroom too... So in my mind this equals to "cheap".

As others mentioned, this is MAYBE $1 a day in hard costs for the individual bottles... And if this is the latest example of Disney is so focused on squeezing the most profit out of every customer, then it's a symptom of a much larger problem. :-(

At one point, when you already squeezed everything out, there's not much left that you can still squeeze.

Personally, I dislike this for a few reasons. First and most obviously, this means, if implemented throughout the resort, that I cannot take the shampoo and conditioner home for a souvenir. It costs Disney less than a dollar a day, but puts a smile on my face for weeks/months to come. It's the little things that make a big difference in my opinion.

Secondly, a lot of people are saying the dispensers will be better for the environment, which may be true to an extent, but Disney does take the unused shampoo and soap, recycles the bottles, and makes new shampoo and soap for impoverished peoples. Someone else shared this article already, but I think it bears re-sharing:
What Happens to Leftover or Unused Toiletries at Disney World Hotels?

I don't equate it with cheap hotels. I stayed at the Drury Inn in downtown St. Louis in April and they have wall mounted dispensers. I realize Drury isn't a luxury brand, but at about $200 per night during the week in the spring, I don't consider it to be a "cheap" hotel either.

I DIDN'T read the ARTICLE. I was merely giving my opinion on what I quoted. I buy giant bottles of Paul Mitchell and I have very short hair. It never occurs to me that bacteria is in my conditioner. Don't need to read the article. Don't care that much about it.

MY thought is that they won't be cleaned OUTSIDE very well over time.
Why would that matter? You only need to touch the pump to dispense product. Bacteria IN the product would be the only way it would effect you.

A part of me wants to believe like the option for no housekeeping this is for the envioment but the realist in me think's this more than plutos poo!

Just wondering - for those that are concerned about the germs in/on the soap dispenser...do you use the coffee makers?
Honestly the soap dispenser is probably the least of the worries in a hotel room.

Do you think they clean the door knobs in the bathrooms every time they turn over the rooms?
I stay at a lot of hotels and have lifetime platinum status with more than one chain - even in their top suites the cleanliness is not at the level you would expect - and I have never found Disney to be better - and I have stayed at all the deluxe hotels and most of the mods. I have also tried concierge at three of the deluxes - they do what they can in the time allotted.

Personally I am always happy when they have dispensers for the soap - there is nothing worse than runnign out of shower gel - and they never give you enough
I think they want you to call down for more so you have to tip them.

Anyway if you really inspect a room at Disney you are going to find things you dont want to know IMO - Im sure you can find videos on youtube of Disney hotel rooms inspected with a black light.
I would not worry too much about the soap dispensers

Why would that matter? You only need to touch the pump to dispense product. Bacteria IN the product would be the only way it would effect you.

It's not that it affects me. It just looks gross to have soap scum all over a dispenser when you pay an exorbitant amount of money for a room.

AGAIN: I could not care less about any of this. I'm only offering possible reasons why someone would object to this.

Just got back from BLT this week. Instead of the old 1oz hard plastic bottles the 1BR unit had 3 sets of 2oz soft plastic tubes-so much easier to use!

was is the grapefruit scent or the sea marine? I am going to BLT next week and am curious

seems like a good idea,waste wise to me. On our last cruise we had those on the wall, and the product in them was wonderful!

According to this site and many others reporting on the Disboards and various sites...larger bottles mounted in the showers at Port Orleans Riverside have begun to replace the individual soaps etc. that were previously supplied in each room. Has anyone else heard/experienced this?

The first article I found regarding this change.
http://thekingdominsider.com/disney-drops-mickey-soap/
I am late to the game on this but just stayed at POR last weekend, we had the individual H2O bottles. I love that, took all my soaps, shampoo and lotions home with me. Not a fan of sharing but I see why. However, for what we pay for the rooms I think all guests should get full size bottles and travel size :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter