• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Soo...stayed in the AKL in 2004, standard view. Seriously, got the parking lot, not magical at all, but is was $129 a night, so no complaining. Now, just booked a Savanna view and was just wondering if it were worth the extra with all you talking about savanna views for the price of a standard (which I know is now WAY more than I paid in 2004). See, right now, the BB offer on a savanna view is a greater dollar savings than free dining since there are only 2 of us. However, overall cost of the trip is lower with free dining and a standard view room. I'm unsure which way to go. Any suggestions from fans of the resort who've been there more often (and more recently)?

We just returned. We got a 30% off offer so the upgrade to the a Savanna view was less than our original pool view room. We only go to WDW about once every 8 years. All previous trips were with the whole family (five people) so we never were able to afford to stay on site. This was our first trip with just my wife and I so we decided to go for the view. We love the AKL and were glad we had the Savanna view. We went back to our rooms for mid-afternoon breaks and this was when the wildlife seem to be the most visible. For all these reasons, the Savanna view made sense for us, but everyone's situation is different. Attached is a panorama of our balcony view. Were were in 4471 which is near on the Uzima Savanna, near the end of the wing the separates Uzima from the pool. Currently, this savanna has the baby giraffes, which was a real treat. It's hard to see on this picture, but on the horizon (between the tall palm trees in the middle of the picture) we had a view of Mt Everest and the floating islands of Pandora. When the wind was right, we could even hear the screams from the Expedition Everest "victims".

IMG_8521_stitch.jpg

Soo...stayed in the AKL in 2004, standard view. Seriously, got the parking lot, not magical at all, but is was $129 a night, so no complaining. Now, just booked a Savanna view and was just wondering if it were worth the extra with all you talking about savanna views for the price of a standard (which I know is now WAY more than I paid in 2004). See, right now, the BB offer on a savanna view is a greater dollar savings than free dining since there are only 2 of us. However, overall cost of the trip is lower with free dining and a standard view room. I'm unsure which way to go. Any suggestions from fans of the resort who've been there more often (and more recently)?

DH and I spend quite a bit of time at the resort when we stay at AKL, it is our longest trip each year so we relax more and therefore the savanna view is worth it for us. If we didn't spend as much time at the resort then I would think a standard view would be fine as there are a lot of public viewing areas. The dining plan doesn't work for how we like to eat at all, so that wouldn't be a consideration for us, so I am not sure how you weigh that against view.

This is tough! I've booked both Standard and Savannah Bunk Bed categories. There are no guarantees that you'll get a partial Savannah view if you book Standard, although I will say there are a good number of partial Savannah view rooms in the Standard category. AKL is probably one of the best resorts to book a standard view, compared to other resorts where Standard basically guarantees a roof or parking lot view. But, will you be very disappointed if you get the parking lot view, or will you be able to still enjoy yourself by visiting the many viewing areas?

The CM who booked my bounce back gave me the choices of savanna, pool, and parking lot. Maybe she said that instead of standard to avoid getting anyone’s hopes up? The older I get, the more I like my resort/pool time. That parking lot view, well wasn’t even as nice as the cornfield view at a hotel in the middle of Iowa!

Hey AKL lovers! So DH has a work conference at Yacht and Beach in July....we are tagging along for a vacay. I have spent the past few months getting to know Y&B, making plans, etc....only to find out that now there aren't enough rooms for family, and so some people are being asked to book at AKL instead. I am kind of disappointed, as I was really looking forward to the close proximity to Epcot/HS, boat/walk access, etc. So what I'm asking is....pump up AKL for me! What is soooooo awesome that keeps you coming back for more? Any hidden gems? Why do you love it so?

Hey AKL lovers! So DH has a work conference at Yacht and Beach in July....we are tagging along for a vacay. I have spent the past few months getting to know Y&B, making plans, etc....only to find out that now there aren't enough rooms for family, and so some people are being asked to book at AKL instead. I am kind of disappointed, as I was really looking forward to the close proximity to Epcot/HS, boat/walk access, etc. So what I'm asking is....pump up AKL for me! What is soooooo awesome that keeps you coming back for more? Any hidden gems? Why do you love it so?
The resort has some of the best restaurants on property, Boma, Jiko and Mara for quick service. I don’t think anything can beat having coffee in the morning overlooking the animals. There are lots of activities for the kids and the hotel is absolutely beautiful. There is no where else I would rather stay.

The CM who booked my bounce back gave me the choices of savanna, pool, and parking lot. Maybe she said that instead of standard to avoid getting anyone’s hopes up? The older I get, the more I like my resort/pool time. That parking lot view, well wasn’t even as nice as the cornfield view at a hotel in the middle of Iowa!
iowa sunset.jpg Those cornfield views can be quite stunning, if you ask me!

We just got back from our first stay at the AKL and haven't stayed at other properties so I am hardly an expert. When I read reviews, it seems the most common complaint about the AKL is that it is quiet and remote while the thing people love the most is that it is quiet and remote. For us that was a positive. We relied on bus service and almost every time the bus we needed was either waiting for us are arriving in a minute. Maybe we were just lucky, and of course were were just going to the parks. Getting to other resorts is more problematic (we ran into problems trying to get to the Kona Cafe for breakfast). The restaurants (Sanaa, Boma, and Jiko) are great. But for us the best thing, besides having the animals all around you, is the amazing architectural detail and African art everywhere. Hidden gems? Every pillar, chair, light fixture, sidewalk, railing, etc... is a work of art in plain sight. Every nook and cranny has valuable art work on display with the country of origin labeled. Remember that Africa has 4 times as many people and is 8 times larger in area and about a million time more diverse than the US. This is reflected in the art, building, and people. Be sure to take the big stairs at the end of the lobby rather than the elevator and take some time to sit by the fireplace. Also, have some conversations with the African CMs. We met a wonderful young man from Zambia on our first night. It was a great way to start our trip.

The resort has some of the best restaurants on property, Boma, Jiko and Mara for quick service. I don’t think anything can beat having coffee in the morning overlooking the animals. There are lots of activities for the kids and the hotel is absolutely beautiful. There is no where else I would rather stay.

@beckysko, To add to the information Tksolomom provided, there’s another great restaurant at Kidani, Sanaa.

Staying at AKL, you have the use of both Jambo House’s and Kidani’s amenities. Both have great animal viewing and great pools. Many of the cast members are from Africa and are eager to share information about their homeland with guests. There are activities for kids and adults that are unique to those resorts. Many of us feel it’s a vacation within a vacation!

We did the Wanyama Safari at AKL last night. It’s not restricted to those staying at AKL, and it’s open to everyone. If you have an extra afternoon/evening to spare (runs from about 3:45-7:30, including dinner at Jiko), DO IT. For sure it was one of the best things we’ve ever done at Disney World!

Up close and personal with the baby giraffes.
View attachment 308083

Mama giraffes and other adults:

View attachment 308084

View attachment 308087

View attachment 308085

View attachment 308086
Those are amazing pictures from the safari! We get to do that in May and I am even more excited now!

We just booked a stay here in late October. The first time DF walked into the Jambo House lobby she was blown away and has wanted to stay here ever since. Even though we're staying in Kidani, she is beyond excited. This will also be her first time at Food & Wine and MNSSHP.

We booked a pool view room for our next trip. If we are on the ground floor can we walk out to the pool directly from our room or are there barriers or landscaping in the way?

Anyone ever stayed in one of the value rooms? Do any of them have a partial Savannah view?
IMG_4822.JPG

This is the view from 5134, a DVC value studio. Ostrich trail even numbered rooms have a partial savanna view - however, we were as far down the wing as you can get and there were still not many animals that ventured this far into the part of the savanna located between Ostrich and Kudu trails when we were there. It is great for convenience, however!

@pepperandchips, thank you for sharing! Still a beautiful view and a CHANCE animal encounter. I know not all of them will have it, but glad to know there are some. Maybe we will get pixie dust and get one of them!

@pepperandchips, thank you for sharing! Still a beautiful view and a CHANCE animal encounter. I know not all of them will have it, but glad to know there are some. Maybe we will get pixie dust and get one of them!

Happy to help! No reason not to ask for it if you can! We actually prefer the value Studios for their location. Hard to book sometimes but awesome if you can!

Those are amazing pictures from the safari! We get to do that in May and I am even more excited now!

I think you’ll love it! Also make sure you go hungry. It was a lot of good food at Jiko!

We booked a pool view room for our next trip. If we are on the ground floor can we walk out to the pool directly from our room or are there barriers or landscaping in the way?

I didn’t look too closely, but if memory serves, I think the answer is both. You could get a direct exit or have a blocked in patio.

This is our first time staying at AKL-Kidani Village. We are in a studio room. We have 2 little girls ages 2 & 7. What would you al suggest we request for our room? They will be all about the animals, so I'm not sure if it would be possible to request a room with a partial view?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter