Just back and holy wah did someone get over served!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But they shouldn't have to make that choice. Epcot is not restricted in anyway. Night Clubs and taverns are restricted to people 21 and over. Even County Fairs have "beer tents" where young children are not permitted. THOSE are the places that parents need to make that choice, because you go in expecting that type of behavior. You don't necessarily expect to see public drunkenness and all of it's debauchery in Disney. And I know you are going to say it's not restricted, so people have every right to get stupid drunk, but seriously? Go somewhere else and behave like that. Some place where there are not young children. It's the decent thing to do.

Why wouldn't you expect to see public drunkenness in a public place that sells alcohol? People do not have to go someplace to act like that because it isn't their responsibility to shield your children, it is yours. If you don't want to risk exposing your children to drunk people then I suggest you avoid places where alcohol is served. That is the only way to ensure they aren't at risk of witnessing a drunk person.

Okay. I'm going to be as kind here as I can, which is tricky because you've put SO MANY words in my mouth. I was simply responding to you saying you were sick of people saying Disney was only for children. I don't see anyone who has said that. Saying that Disney is a place that is family friendly or geared for all ages is IN NO WAY saying that it is ONLY for children. That was my point, and my only one. I personally never said that the fact that there is alcohol takes away from a family-friendly environment. At all. I absolutely never said people couldn't drink ot have fun in the park. I definitely have a drink or three in the parks. I haven't even commented on the drunken behavior that others have mentioned. So please check yourself before you direct your statements on that to me.

And this is a little off topic, but no, you do not know what it's like to be a parent if you are not a parent. I'm not being condescending, but it's just a fact. I was an aunt several times over before I became a mother, so I know how you feel. I even have a degree in child development and worked with children for years. I would have said the same thing as you did way back then. But I would have been just as wrong about that as you are.

You clearly didn't read the thread at all if you didn't see anywhere that people were saying that Disney is for children. So maybe you should go back and try to do that. Because I in fact did read the entire thing and saw several instances of it.

Just to cover your off topic holier than thou rant: You are literally so condescending and rude and think you are the almighty know it all about children because you have them? That is the issue. I know so many people who know so much more about children and parenting who do not even have kids themselves. Please get over yourself.

I will not be wasting anymore time on you for the record.

You clearly didn't read the thread at all if you didn't see anywhere that people were saying that Disney is for children. So maybe you should go back and try to do that. Because I in fact did read the entire thing and saw several instances of it.

Just to cover your off topic holier than thou rant: You are literally so condescending and rude and think you are the almighty know it all about children because you have them? That is the issue. I know so many people who know so much more about children and parenting who do not even have kids themselves. Please get over yourself.

I will not be wasting anymore time on you for the record.

For children doesn't mean ONLY for children. And nowhere did I say I know everything about kids. Your reading comprehension skills could use some work. Enjoy your day.

Some of the viewpoints on this thread are pretty funny. Pardon the pun, but let's distill this down to its base level:
  • Alcohol is served in Epcot.
  • We all know that going in.
  • At every single place in the world where alcohol is served, some percentage of people are going to over consume. (Except perhaps when it comes to Communion Wine.) This includes a Baby Shower, your grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary party, as well as a fraternity keg party.
  • The percentage of people who over consume is going to vary by venue. The French Quarter is going to be on the higher end of that scale. A Packer's Game might be somewhere in the middle. A place with lots of families like Epcot is going to be at the lower end of that scale.
  • During F&W, the percentage at Epcot will increase and move more toward the middle.
So this idea that drunken behavior is inappropriate at Epcot and should not happen at Epcot simply cuts against human nature, logic and past experience. The only way to win is not to play. If you don't want anyone in your family to witness over consumption at Epcot, the solution is for you not to go. The solution of not having anyone over consume is simply not an option, short of a total prohibition against alcohol in the park. But trying to create a Utopian environment where alcohol is served but not abused is simply impossible. It can't happen at your baby shower and it can't happen at Epcot. Somebody is just going to get a little loose. Maybe they had a bad day or week and need to let their guard down. Maybe they have a real problem with alcohol. But when you put 40,000 people in an environment where alcohol is served, you can never get 100% perfect behavior. The "But this is Disney" approach doesn't change any of this. As much as people want to believe in Disney Magic, it does not exist to the point where it curbs basic human instinct and behavior. To think otherwise is just silly.

Maybe it is because I do not have children of my own yet (I do have many nieces and nephews) and I am more of a don't overly shelter type, but I have never understood the outrage over children seeing adults act in these manners. A couple of things:

1. If you are a parent that do not want your children exposed to alcohol or its effects, the simplest thing to do it not to make an issue out of the person's behavior. You can tell your children that the person in question is behaving poorly or something like that and alcohol does not even have to come up. Your young children will only know it is an alcohol if you tell them. They will only know that the person is rude.
  2. If you are not trying to shield your children from alcohol, but do not like the behavior, can't you use this a teaching moment for your children of how drinking in excess is negative? Rather than let it ruin your day, just tell your children that is why when you are old enough, you do not over drink.
I know some will say "I do not want to have to teach my kids this things on vacation", but these types of things can happen anywhere. Unless someone is harming your child, I do not see how hearing an f-bomb or a loud and obnoxious person can ruin your day or a trip. Just shrug it off and keep enjoying your time.

I know seeing vomit is not what you want on a vacation. As someone else said, I am a "joiner" when it comes to vomit; if I see it, I join in uncontrollably, and vomit in a long beard is terrible. However, I think it is our reaction to things is how children will perceive them. Make a big deal out of something or draw attention to it, and the child will be well more aware of it. If you just ignore it or make it small like saying, "wow, that guy is a fool. We don;t act like that do we?" or something similar the child will alright.

But they shouldn't have to make that choice. Epcot is not restricted in anyway. Night Clubs and taverns are restricted to people 21 and over. Even County Fairs have "beer tents" where young children are not permitted. THOSE are the places that parents need to make that choice, because you go in expecting that type of behavior. You don't necessarily expect to see public drunkenness and all of it's debauchery in Disney. And I know you are going to say it's not restricted, so people have every right to get stupid drunk, but seriously? Go somewhere else and behave like that. Some place where there are not young children. It's the decent thing to do.

No no no. MANY clubs/bars simply don't allow people under 21. So the parents DON'T make the choice, the choice has been made for them. At Disney, as you say, it's not restricted, so that's where the choice needs to be made. As I posted earlier, many adults attend the F&W festival with intention of pounding drinks. Epcot caters to them, hence why it's called "The Food & WINE festival."

Disney has their own security team, and at times, as in the recent case of the US women's soccer player, the security team will boot them from the park. But in her case, she was being extremely rowdy. Simply having one too many drinks and puking in a bush isn't being rowdy. Is it appropriate? No. But then again, is changing diapers on public benches appropriate? Not really but apparently that is to be expected in Disney World because of the kids.

Still, I'm a little surprised to see DISers arguing against basic civility. Really? Crowded places aren't safe when folks aren't civil.

IMO, it is becoming pretty evident that our country is currently suffering a breakdown of common civility, and we are suffering because of that breakdown.
Having read through this thread, are DISers arguing against basic civility? There are those who support alcohol at Epcot and recognize that the trade-off is the occasional obnoxious drunk (I'd be the first to call them out as naïve if they didn't recognize that - I think @999_Happy_Haunts summarizes that above nicely). I don't interpret that recognition as arguing against basic civility, but reasonable minds can differ.

This comment isn't directed at you - I don't know you and wouldn't presume to know your beliefs, positions or concerns. But when people hear complaints that others aren't being civil or decent, one question can be whether the complainer is complaining that people aren't conforming to their notion of civility and decency. This thread highlights that there are quite a few different notions of what's civil and decent. And we should all hope that we can be respectful that people have those different opinions even if they disagree on the substance - that we can be civil in our debate about what constitutes civility. We may not convince each other, but we can at least walk away with a better understanding.

I do agree that civility can be hard to come by these days - on whichever side you look. Then again, I don't think that's anything new - I'm pretty sure that the British started saying our country was suffering a breakdown of common civility about 250 years ago.

I'm very much looking forward to the fact that, since the Magic Kingdom serves very little in the way of alcohol, apparently everyone will be civil there. Woohoo!!

With the heat the past week in Orlando, I can imagine people getting dehydrated and then adding a couple alcoholic beverages =disaster!

Some of the viewpoints on this thread are pretty funny. Pardon the pun, but let's distill this down to its base level:
  • Alcohol is served in Epcot.
  • At every single place in the world where alcohol is served, some percentage of people are going to over consume. (Except perhaps when it comes to Communion Wine.) This includes a Baby Shower, your grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary party, as well as a fraternity keg party.
  • The percentage of people who over consume is going to vary by venue. The French Quarter is going to be on the higher end of that scale. A Packer's Game might be somewhere in the middle. A place with lots of families like Epcot is going to be at the lower end of that scale.
  • During F&W, the percentage at Epcot will increase and move more toward the middle.
So this idea that drunken behavior is inappropriate at Epcot and should not happen at Epcot simply cuts against human nature, logic and past experience. The only way to win is not to play. If you don't want anyone in your family to witness over consumption at Epcot, the solution is for you not to go. The solution of not having anyone over consume is simply not an option, short of a total prohibition against alcohol in the park. But trying to create a Utopian environment where alcohol is served but not abused is simply impossible. It can't happen at your baby shower and it can't happen at Epcot. Somebody is just going to get a little loose. Maybe they had a bad day or week and need to let their guard down. Maybe they have a real problem with alcohol. But when you put 40,000 people in an environment where alcohol is served, you can never get 100% perfect behavior. The "But this is Disney" approach doesn't change any of this. As much as people want to believe in Disney Magic, it does not exist to the point where it curbs basic human instinct and behavior. To think otherwise is just silly.

1. Yes you are correct alcohol is served at Epcot
2. Yes we all know that
3. Ok I will give you that although I don't think you will find people who drink too much at "every single place in the world" but i won't be picky
4. So this idea.... I have to disagree drunken behavior at Epcot is just plain inappropriate. Its going to happen but its not appropriate and should not be justified. If you had a bad day or week let your guard down at your own house not out in public. Again i know it happens all the time but its not appropriate pure and simple. I will not avoid places like Epcot but it does not mean I have to agree with such behavior and that I won't just shake my head and wonder why people have so little self control.
5. What is 100% perfect behavior? Who defines perfect behavior? But there are certain behaviors that are understood as inappropriate or rude or disrespect. In my opinion public intoxication covers all three of those!!
6. Instinct Instinct is something you don't need to learn — it happens naturally without you even thinking about it. Babies cry by instinct, and ducks follow their mother by instinct. People don't drink to excess instinctively its a learned behavior.

4. So this idea.... I have to disagree drunken behavior at Epcot is just plain inappropriate. Its going to happen but its not appropriate and should not be justified. If you had a bad day or week let your guard down at your own house not out in public. Again i know it happens all the time but its not appropriate pure and simple. I will not avoid places like Epcot but it does not mean I have to agree with such behavior and that I won't just shake my head and wonder why people have so little self control.
5. What is 100% perfect behavior? Who defines perfect behavior? But there are certain behaviors that are understood as inappropriate or rude or disrespect. In my opinion public intoxication covers all three of those!!

That might be your opinion, but unfortunately for you, you aren't the czar of what is and isn't appropriate behavior. Until that happens, you can choose to attend these events and deal with all kinds of people, or you can skip it and save yourself the headache. Those are the options.

I have no problem with falling down drunks at Disney. I tell my girl "Look at that fool!" and we all laugh at them! We drink beer in front of our kids. So what? It's not illegal. What is illegal is cussing in the presence of any person under the age of 14. That's a federal law. We can go out and have drinks and not once use profanity. Some people think its just "Cool" to drop the f word and for those that think so, No its not in front of small children. Especially little girls.

since when?

That might be your opinion, but unfortunately for you, you aren't the czar of what is and isn't appropriate behavior. Until that happens, you can choose to attend these events and deal with all kinds of people, or you can skip it and save yourself the headache. Those are the options.

mmmmm. I don't believe I implied I was the czar of appropriate behavior. I think i said what is 100% appropriate behavior and who defines perfect behavior. If I was the czar I would clearly define what 100% perfect behavior is. But at the risk of being falsely accused of being the behavior czar, I would certainly want to see how many people would say public intoxication is acceptable behavior. I would think that the great majority maybe upwards of 90% would think public intoxication is not appropriate behavior. If i am wrong then i apologize. If you want to get drunk at home and with your friends then more power to you....do it and have fun, i have no problem with that. I know you can not stop it out in public but again that still does not make it appropriate and if you or anyone else thinks it is then we will just have to agree to disagree.

By that logic, you could say almost everything is a family event, unless there are hard age limits imposed. Vegas is a family event, Mardi Gras is a family event, Carnival in Brazil is a family event, KWIM? At the end of the day, many adults go with other adults to F&W and they aren't going to hold back on what they want to do because kids are there. It's just not going to happen.
Mardi Gras very much is a family event. Not on bourbon street but that’s a whole different animal.

I have served with a federal grand jury for two years. And I can tell you that I have never heard a case of someone being brought up on charges because they cursed around someone under 14 years old.

Please let us know where you think this law is in effect.
TITLE 18
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CHAPTER 64
RIOT, ROUT, UNLAWFUL ASSEMBLY,
PRIZE FIGHTING, DISTURBING PEACE
18-6409. DISTURBING THE PEACE. Every person who maliciously and wilfully
disturbs the peace or quiet of any neighborhood, family or person, by loud or
unusual noise, or by tumultuous or offensive conduct, or by threatening,
traducing, quarreling, challenging to fight or fighting, or fires any gun or
pistol, or uses any vulgar, profane or indecent language within the presence
or hearing of children, in a loud and boisterous manner
, is guilty of a
misdemeanor.

A number of us have asked about that.

@Jimmy Mouse hasn't come back to explain this bizarre statement.
I'm sorry. I was at work. After work, I took my kids to pick out pumpkins to carve and then we went to dinner.

TITLE 18
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CHAPTER 64
, is guilty of a
misdemeanor.

TITLE 18
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CHAPTER 64
, is guilty of a
misdemeanor.
That seems to be from Idaho. Which would be a state law, not federal.

A number of us have asked about that.

@Jimmy Mouse hasn't come back to explain this bizarre statement.
What I find bizarre is all the adults that think it's alright to swear in front of children. Like I said, so what if people are drunk. I drink. My wife drinks. A lot of adults do. Any adult with an ounce of decency would not swear in front of small children. Period. That's just having respect. And yes I cuss but I never ever cuss within ear shot of women I don't know or children. My father taught me to respect others first and foremost.

What I find bizarre is all the adults that think it's alright to swear in front of children. Like I said, so what if people are drunk. I drink. My wife drinks. A lot of adults do. Any adult with an ounce of decency would not swear in front of small children. Period. That's just having respect. And yes I cuss but I never ever cuss within ear shot of women I don't know or children. My father taught me to respect others first and foremost.
:headache:
I'm not sure to whom you are speaking.

Many here are simply asking you which federal law forbids cursing in the presence of children.

You could probably count on one hand how many times I use even one curse word in a month. They just aren't part of my everyday vocabulary.

But that doesn't mean that it is against the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter