Just back and holy wah did someone get over served!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are more likely to experience someone getting sick at WDW because they are hot, over stimulated, motion sick, and eating too much junk food than because they are drunk.

Or morning sick. I managed to hold it together on my trip a few years ago, but my stomach definitely was feeling questionable sometimes. I thought the nausea would have subsided by 15 weeks...clearly it was my first time being pregnant!

And in all actuality, a large % of the puking you see at Disney is probably from stomach bugs like norovirus that tend to be more common in hotels/on vacation.

There isn't really anywhere to go in Disney where you're immune from the possibility of puke, unfortunately.

Goodness. "Family friendly" simply means that behavior needs to be appropriate, as kids will be present. It doesn't mean adult-only groups can't go, or that any group that isn't related by blood isn't welcome. I'm tired of people picking arguments over semantics.
I agree that sometimes things get caught up in a semantics thing but semantics has a way of directly influencing how people respond.

I agree that sometimes things get caught up in a semantics thing but semantics has a way of directly influencing how people respond.
I hear you. I just feel like the accepted meaning of "family friendly" is widely understood, and it's starting to seem like people are being difficult for the sake of being difficult. But then, I guess that's just the nature of the internet these days.

This had me thinking earlier...

Point: if WDW is geared towards families with kids, they could borrow a page from that other family entertainment mouse, Chuck E. Cheese, and require all adults to be accompanied by a minor.
Counterpoint: once inside, Chuck will gladly sell you pitcher after pitcher of overpriced beer and just ask that you try to ignore the drunken fights between tables of rival birthday parties.

I agreed earlier in the thread that WDW is promoted and perceived to be family/kid oriented, while also noting that only a small minority of US households (around 15% with kids 13 and under) fit that demographic. Disney caters to its core market - but it's not ignoring it's other big selling point either: nostalgia. Kids that went to Disney come back to Disney as adults. And not always with their own kids in tow. Think about it - WDW turns 50 in a few years and the people that were kids when it all began down in Florida are only now approaching retirement. There are a few generations of adults with fond memories who would love to be a kid again - albeit with some adult diversions. No one is arguing in favor of obnoxious or sloppy drunks - it just seems that some are willing to let Disney handle those irresponsible cases as they occur versus those that say Disney shouldn't put that responsibility in the guests' hands to begin with. I'm far more in favor of self-governance in the World.

As a total aside (because I'm curious): if drinking is not culturally acceptable at WDW as a family entertainment destination, how is Disney to handle Disneyland Paris (where alcohol is sold to the general public and the drinking age is 16)? Should Disney observe "local" community standards, or impose a more stringent US community standard (whatever that is) across the entire company? Never been to DLP and don't know if obnoxious drunks are an issue there, but I keep coming back to some "standard" that's implied in this discussion as to why alcohol should be policed, regulated or banned more than it is at WDW.

Goodness. "Family friendly" simply means that behavior needs to be appropriate, as kids will be present. It doesn't mean adult-only groups can't go, or that any group that isn't related by blood isn't welcome. I'm tired of people picking arguments over semantics.

And these sky-is-falling threads that make it sound like the entire park is overrun with fraternity and sorority pledges are so overblown.

There are PLENTY of families that don't include children.
I was just about to say the same thing. The word "family" has nothing to do with children. We went on an adult only "family" Disney vacation last year and had a blast. I don't have a desire to see people puking in the bushes BUT.. most of the people you see walking around Disney have worked their butts off all year and deserve to have a few (maybe a few too many) drinks while they are on vacation.

I don't see the big deal in spending a few hundred bucks for a night of drinking in Epcot. People spend that on a signature meal at Disney. V&A is crazy expensive. Dessert parties are pricey. Maybe they decided we won't do this so we can do that. People spending hundreds of dollars for one event at Disney isn't surprising at all. Especially when you're already spending in the thousands.

So true. There is not even a tiny percentage of my brain that would ever consider paying the exorbitant fees to eat mediocre deserts in a roped off area to watch Illuminations, when you can see the show from just about every point in a 1.3 mile circle. Spending a couple hundred bucks drinking though ? That's basically every third Friday at my local Wine Bar. That's the great thing about Disney - all kinds of experiences for all kinds of people ! It just funny how quick people are to proclaim the way they enjoy vacation is the only "right" way.

So true. There is not even a tiny percentage of my brain that would ever consider paying the exorbitant fees to eat mediocre deserts in a roped off area to watch Illuminations, when you can see the show from just about every point in a 1.3 mile circle. Spending a couple hundred bucks drinking though ? That's basically every third Friday at my local Wine Bar. That's the great thing about Disney - all kinds of experiences for all kinds of people ! It just funny how quick people are to proclaim the way they enjoy vacation is the only "right" way.

You should have seen our tab from Jellyrolls tonight. I had 6 beers and DH had 5 or 6 drinks too. We have been at Food and Wine 2 nights (Sunday and Today) and have not seen any issues.

I hear you. I just feel like the accepted meaning of "family friendly" is widely understood, and it's starting to seem like people are being difficult for the sake of being difficult. But then, I guess that's just the nature of the internet these days.

Yes one can define family friendly in any convenient way you want but the common understanding of the the phrase is:
A family-friendly product or service is one that is considered to be suitable for all members of an average family. Family friendly restaurants are ones that provide service to families that have young children.

In censorship debates, the term means cultural works (including art, literature, films, television and music) that are considered appropriate for children while at the same time palatable to adults. Frequently, the term "Think of the children.

Just a thought

Huh. I bet they were CMs. Interesting.

I just remembered something that intregued us on our last trip. DH, SIL, BIL and I were at F&W and walking through France where there was a big group sitting at tables next to the permanent grand Marnier slushie kiosk. They had all their empty slushie glasses stacked like a pyramid. Impressed, I did a double take and then a quick count and math lesson to realize they had $200 just in empties I roughly counted. They all also had new full slushies.

That's my favorite... Grand Marnier Orange Slushie.... of all the drinks this one is my absolute must have. I would have been impressed as well with the pyramid.

I will say that maybe I should clarify something in my original post I should have said that since we go a lot to enjoy F&W while its going on.... that not every time we go do we witness the throwing up, and passed out guest, but have really noticed an increase in this behavior, over the last 5 years. For us the trips that we made so far this year, we really only saw one guy that was well into the bag and his girlfriend and another couple were walking him out the back gate.

With all this talk, I guess I will have to mention how good the filet in Canada was when we went 2 weeks ago, yep then it will be his idea to go this weekend... Grand Marnier Orange Slushie here I come... Oh yes I would like to thank the Uber drivers who pick us up and return us home again safe and sound...

Please.... Please.... don't come on vacation and leave on probation or worse...

Where I think that they need to step it up is with security. Where they see a group enter the park with matching, I'm-getting-drunk-around-the-world T-shirts, it's pretty obvious someone needs to keep an eye on them.

My DH and I have several matching shirts for F&W with drinking puns or that somehow reference drinking, yet we have NEVER been stumbling drunk or tipsy to the point of being rude or obnoxious. We have no desire to get drunk at WDW, however we do enjoy several of the adult beverages at Epcot. My "drinking" shirts are cute and girly. There are literally hundreds of Etsy shops and Instagrammers that sell Epcot "drinking" shirts, Instagram is filled with cute images of matching shirts. WDW security would be bored to pieces if they decided they needed to "keep an eye on us" because we are F&W themed shirts. I have never seen an entire group in matching "drinking" shirts that is out of control drunk. I have seen plenty of individuals who have clearly had too much to drink wearing nice khaki shorts and collared polos though.

While I don't think what someone is wearing should be cause for WDW security to be concerned about how much they will drink, I do think it would be nice if security would do something about the drunk obnoxious people. But then again, I wish WDW could do something about rude, obnoxious people who are stone sober as well.

I would not be intimidated by two people wearing matching shirts. A gang of 20 is another story.

Look, I like to drink in Epcot. I don't want to see it stopped. And I really don't want to see drinks in the World Showcase priced out of reach so that people are not inclined to drink much there.

That is why I think security needs to be stepped up--so that rowdy, obnoxious people don't ruin it for those of us who imbibe responsibly.

One of the main purposes of the World Showcase is to learn about other cultures by meeting people from other countries. We see how they dress and dance, we eat the foods they eat and drink the drinks they drink.

It's such an enjoyable way to spend a vacation. It would be a shame to lose it due to roving gangs of aggressive drunks.

It really doesn't, I just walk right past. I don't even give it a second thought.

Well while I understand its food and wine and people are drinking and Disney is not just for kids it is STILL DISNEY and a place where its mainly family and kids. I don't want my kids exposed to a bunch of drunk people when on vacation. It shouldn't be normal for people to be puking in the bushes, yelling on buses and being obnoxious. I am sure some of this happens even during the day where my family and kids have every right to be at Disney. I'd be livid if I saw people visibly drunk and out of control there. Not saying you can't drink but you should be asked to leave if you can't get your act together.

Yes one can define family friendly in any convenient way you want but the common understanding of the the phrase is:
A family-friendly product or service is one that is considered to be suitable for all members of an average family. Family friendly restaurants are ones that provide service to families that have young children.

In censorship debates, the term means cultural works (including art, literature, films, television and music) that are considered appropriate for children while at the same time palatable to adults. Frequently, the term "Think of the children.

Just a thought
I think we're saying basically the same thing?

I have no problem with falling down drunks at Disney. I tell my girl "Look at that fool!" and we all laugh at them! We drink beer in front of our kids. So what? It's not illegal. What is illegal is cussing in the presence of any person under the age of 14. That's a federal law. We can go out and have drinks and not once use profanity. Some people think its just "Cool" to drop the f word and for those that think so, No its not in front of small children. Especially little girls.

I have no problem with falling down drunks at Disney. I tell my girl "Look at that fool!" and we all laugh at them! We drink beer in front of our kids. So what? It's not illegal. What is illegal is cussing in the presence of any person under the age of 14. That's a federal law. We can go out and have drinks and not once use profanity. Some people think its just "Cool" to drop the f word and for those that think so, No its not in front of small children. Especially little girls.
Why "especially little girls"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter