Just back and holy wah did someone get over served!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with falling down drunks at Disney. I tell my girl "Look at that fool!" and we all laugh at them! We drink beer in front of our kids. So what? It's not illegal. What is illegal is cussing in the presence of any person under the age of 14. That's a federal law. We can go out and have drinks and not once use profanity. Some people think its just "Cool" to drop the f word and for those that think so, No its not in front of small children. Especially little girls.

Uh, no its not.

I would not be intimidated by two people wearing matching shirts. A gang of 20 is another story.

Look, I like to drink in Epcot. I don't want to see it stopped. And I really don't want to see drinks in the World Showcase priced out of reach so that people are not inclined to drink much there.

That is why I think security needs to be stepped up--so that rowdy, obnoxious people don't ruin it for those of us who imbibe responsibly.

One of the main purposes of the World Showcase is to learn about other cultures by meeting people from other countries. We see how they dress and dance, we eat the foods they eat and drink the drinks they drink.

It's such an enjoyable way to spend a vacation. It would be a shame to lose it due to roving gangs of aggressive drunks.
To be fair anytime I saw a decent amount of people in the same matching shirt I was more aware of them--period. None of them caused any issues really on my most recent trip (and I did run into a tour group in Universal) but it does make you more aware and not necessarily for bad reasons. I wouldn't want to split up a group in terms of being in a queue or take a table where not all of the group could be near each other. Whether the shirt has something about drinking or about celebrating a birthday, a wedding or a reunion.

I wore a matching shirt myself with a family group. We were at the Magic Kingdom and our shirts said "#EveryRideCounts." Three people in my group were toddlers, and one was a baby so I doubt we looked intimidating. LOL!

However, the young man who puked on my sister last year was a matching shirt person, and his group was scary looking because they were drunk and loud.

I wore a matching shirt myself with a family group. We were at the Magic Kingdom and our shirts said "#EveryRideCounts." Three people in my group were toddlers, and one was a baby so I doubt we looked intimidating. LOL!

However, the young man who puked on my sister last year was a matching shirt person, and his group was scary looking because they were drunk and loud.
Hmm..well I suppose since you're passing judgment (not necessarily harshly but still passing judgement) on those with matching shirt (despite that fact that you wore matching shirts) it's entirely possible people saw your group and dreaded being around you.

There is a difference between a multi-generational group wearing matching T-shirts and a group of 20-somethings wearing shirts that say "Drink, Drank, Drunk" with drawings of Mickey in various states of inebriation.

If I'm working security at Disney, I know which group I'm going to keep an eye on, and it's not the one with the 2 year-olds.

Well while I understand its food and wine and people are drinking and Disney is not just for kids it is STILL DISNEY and a place where its mainly family and kids. I don't want my kids exposed to a bunch of drunk people when on vacation. It shouldn't be normal for people to be puking in the bushes, yelling on buses and being obnoxious. I am sure some of this happens even during the day where my family and kids have every right to be at Disney. I'd be livid if I saw people visibly drunk and out of control there. Not saying you can't drink but you should be asked to leave if you can't get your act together.

Well that's a choice that parents can make if they don't want to expose their little ones to all the drunken debauchery that takes place at Epcot.

There is a difference between a multi-generational group wearing matching T-shirts and a group of 20-somethings wearing shirts that say "Drink, Drank, Drunk" with drawings of Mickey in various states of inebriation.

If I'm working security at Disney, I know which group I'm going to keep an eye on, and it's not the one with the 2 year-olds.
Hmm...I guess. But rule breakers or those who get out of control don't just wear "drinking shirts". I can think of many threads started by those wearing the same shirt being in a tour guide. I can think of a few groups at F& W where I saw wedding party shirts and they were pretty joyous in the lines for the booths.

I have 1 really minor thing with a group of people on my last trip (although that was at Universal). We were going into the queue for E.T. and the group behind us was letting their toddlers run amok and then letting the what appeared to be 5 or 6 year old run after them. The group had a birthday celebration on it.

I mean it's fine if you want to ignore anyone else in matching shirts but that doesn't mean everyone else is. You could very much have been on the "omg why are they here" thought running through someone's head without you even knowing. And you may have thought that your group was doing nothing to cause such thoughts.

Well that's a choice that parents can make if they don't want to expose their little ones to all the drunken debauchery that takes place at Epcot.
But they shouldn't have to make that choice. Epcot is not restricted in anyway. Night Clubs and taverns are restricted to people 21 and over. Even County Fairs have "beer tents" where young children are not permitted. THOSE are the places that parents need to make that choice, because you go in expecting that type of behavior. You don't necessarily expect to see public drunkenness and all of it's debauchery in Disney. And I know you are going to say it's not restricted, so people have every right to get stupid drunk, but seriously? Go somewhere else and behave like that. Some place where there are not young children. It's the decent thing to do.

Public intoxication charges, often called being "drunk and disorderly," is a legal charge alleging that a person is visibly drunk or under the influence of drugs in public. It is usually a misdemeanor crime under state and local law.

Public intoxication laws exist to prevent people from disturbing others in public and to remove people who appear to be unable to stop themselves from hurting themselves or others.

Enough said!! Because WDW provides alcohol does not give a person a right to become Publically Intoxicated. Mature, responsible, decent adults learn how to control this. Lets stop justifying this behavior by blaming WDW for having alcohol or because the person is on vacation and they are letting off the stress from their "normal life" or they are just having a good time. As we have been taught there is a place and time for most things Public Intoxication at WDW in not one of them.

I have no problem with falling down drunks at Disney. I tell my girl "Look at that fool!" and we all laugh at them! We drink beer in front of our kids. So what? It's not illegal. What is illegal is cussing in the presence of any person under the age of 14. That's a federal law. We can go out and have drinks and not once use profanity. Some people think its just "Cool" to drop the f word and for those that think so, No its not in front of small children. Especially little girls.

Wait, what? o_O

But they shouldn't have to make that choice. Epcot is not restricted in anyway. Night Clubs and taverns are restricted to people 21 and over. Even County Fairs have "beer tents" where young children are not permitted. THOSE are the places that parents need to make that choice, because you go in expecting that type of behavior. You don't necessarily expect to see public drunkenness and all of it's debauchery in Disney. And I know you are going to say it's not restricted, so people have every right to get stupid drunk, but seriously? Go somewhere else and behave like that. Some place where there are not young children. It's the decent thing to do.
I'm just speaking from my experience here and I get the whole "we don't want to see people intoxicated viewpoint" but I rarely see things restricted out and about as far as base level considering alcohol sales and children permitted. I've seen plenty of places restrict bring in outside beverages for sure.

There are always children at the Irish festivals near me and at the Oktober festivals, one of the solar eclipse locations (you know the eclipse that happened this summer) was at a winery (actually there were multiple wineries but I'm just speaking from the one I went to) but none were restricted to adults only despite the fact that you were at a winery. Of course one could have just paid the entry fee for the sole purpose of watching the eclipse but you can't deny that the place would have people who would be drinking wine maybe even moreso because they create a souvenir bottle and plenty of people were drinking that right after they bought it. There are always children at sporting events despite the fact that there is alcohol (there's even a Bud Light Party Deck at the baseball stadium near me and it's not too too far from the playground that is at the stadium as well).

I get your point about Disney but again Disney is a place for all to enjoy. Now I'm not advocating for public drunkedness but I'm not advocating for restricting events. I'm imagining that the person who only has 1 day to experience Epcot would rather like the choice to decide if they want to go or not instead of being told "nope not allowed" and I'm imagining that the person who only has 1 night to experience Epcot would rather like the choice of staying later in the park rather than be ushered out at X time for the only reason of an adults only event.

I'm not quite certain why you are floored by it, respectfully. It's an opinion shared by many many people.

The concept that it's only acceptable for children at WDW is not in line with Walt's purpose. I don't often even bring up Walt nor am I trying to say "what would Walt do/say, etc" but it is the truth that he didn't not designate WDW as a place just for kids.

And think about this from a standpoint if you do say that WDW is a place just for kids...once your kids reach an arbitrary age that means you are no longer welcomed at WDW because well your kids are kids anymore. Have you been to WDW before? Because surely you would have seen many different compositions of travelling parties.

And I never said WDW isn't a place for kids....I said it isn't a place just for kids. A very large difference. You'd have to be living underneath a rock (no offense) to not realize that WDW is a place where families can go...the key is so can other people.

First, please reread my post. I never said Disney was for kids only. I said it is considered by the public to be "family entertainment." That's not my opinion, that's the opinion of the general public. If you do a Google search, as I did, WDW is listed as one of the Florida family entertainment locations.

Whether that is true nor not, that is the perception and in this case, perception is indeed reality.

In fact, when I Googled "Walt Disney World", this is what the results came back as "Welcome to Walt Disney World. Come and enjoy the magic of Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, FL. Plan your family vacation and create memories for a ..."

So even Disney is billing WDW as the place where you can have your family vacation.

And yes, i've been to all the WDW parks and DL as both an adult and a child.

I'm not a prude, but watching drunks puke in the bushes or act belligerant to be any form of family entertainment at all. That behavior is associated with adult entertaiment locations, like a bar or "bar district" if your town has that.

Maybe the family vacations i've had as a child or adult are different, but they never involved anyone getting drunk.

If that is the entertainment that is sought by Disney, hold a special "party ticket" event where you have to be over 21 to attend.

I have to agree with Mackenzie here. Disney is not just aimed at families or just families with kids. My "family" that I am going with in November consists of my boyfriend and me. And guess what, we are two 25 year old's with no children. So, dreiwhit, if that is what you mean by "families" then I am all for it. But you do not have to have children to be considered a family. Disney is a resort destination for all types of people. I am so sick of seeing people say that Disney is a "family" or "kids" vacation destination. I am a full grown adult with no children and I love Disney for everything it has to offer. And I am certainly going to enjoy F&W while I am there. This is also not to say that I find it socially acceptable to see people acting drunk and ridiculous in public bother others around them. But if that's how people want to act and embarrass themselves then that is on them. I am not going to ruin my own time over it. Now I also don't find it socially acceptable to see children throwing tantrums and also bothering people around them and the parents allowing it to happen rather than removing their child from the environment. But again, if that is how parents want to handle the situation and embarrass their children and themselves then that is on them and not me. I am not going to ruin my time over it. It goes both ways. Disney was created for EVERYONE and someone will always have an issue with something. But lets stop acting like Disney, and Epcot in particular, was geared towards children only.

I have to agree with Mackenzie here. Disney is not just aimed at families or just families with kids. My "family" that I am going with in November consists of my boyfriend and me. And guess what, we are two 25 year old's with no children. So, dreiwhit, if that is what you mean by "families" then I am all for it. But you do not have to have children to be considered a family. Disney is a resort destination for all types of people. I am so sick of seeing people say that Disney is a "family" or "kids" vacation destination. I am a full grown adult with no children and I love Disney for everything it has to offer. And I am certainly going to enjoy F&W while I am there. This is also not to say that I find it socially acceptable to see people acting drunk and ridiculous in public bother others around them. But if that's how people want to act and embarrass themselves then that is on them. I am not going to ruin my own time over it. Now I also don't find it socially acceptable to see children throwing tantrums and also bothering people around them and the parents allowing it to happen rather than removing their child from the environment. But again, if that is how parents want to handle the situation and embarrass their children and themselves then that is on them and not me. I am not going to ruin my time over it. It goes both ways. Disney was created for EVERYONE and someone will always have an issue with something. But lets stop acting like Disney, and Epcot in particular, was geared towards children only.
Oh for the love. "Family friendly" does not mean for children only. It simply means that it's appropriate for children, not that those without them are excluded. I think people without kids forget that all of us with them were once childless, too.

Public intoxication charges, often called being "drunk and disorderly," is a legal charge alleging that a person is visibly drunk or under the influence of drugs in public. It is usually a misdemeanor crime under state and local law.

Public intoxication laws exist to prevent people from disturbing others in public and to remove people who appear to be unable to stop themselves from hurting themselves or others.

Enough said!! Because WDW provides alcohol does not give a person a right to become Publically Intoxicated. Mature, responsible, decent adults learn how to control this. Lets stop justifying this behavior by blaming WDW for having alcohol or because the person is on vacation and they are letting off the stress from their "normal life" or they are just having a good time. As we have been taught there is a place and time for most things Public Intoxication at WDW in not one of them.
Whatever disagreements all of us may have here on the boards - those are all fluffy feather pillow fights compared to the nuclear armageddon Disney would unleash against any suggestion that the theme parks are "public" property for purposes of the public intoxication laws. They have a few hundred million dollars a year in ticket sales they'd like to protect. FWIW, the same Florida public intoxication statute makes it a crime to consume an alcoholic beverage in public, too, so I suppose everyone sipping those $6 thimbles of wine at F&W would need to be rounded up in addition to the rowdy drunks.

That being said, Disney can remove guests for violating park rules and standards of conduct. That happens. As it did with the removal of the US Women's Soccer player and her friends recently from Epcot for drunken, boorish behavior (police were called and assisted with their removal, but no charges were filed).

What????

Oh for the love. "Family friendly" does not mean for children only. It simply means that it's appropriate for children, not that those without them are excluded. I think people without kids forget that all of us with them were once childless, too.

Let's get off the "family-friendly" (overused/not quite fully/well defined term in my opinion) thing. That's not the debate here. Obviously we want Disney to be "family-friendly." But to say that people drinking at Epcot and acting silly or puking in the bushes is taking away from your "family-friendly" environment is honestly just petty. There are so many other things I have seen go on in the parks that I could also deem as not family friendly. Adults, many with children, swearing in front of their own and other people's children for example. We can deem that as not "family-friendly." People getting into full blown arguments. Not "family-friendly." A spoiled child throwing a tantrum and the parent doing nothing about it. Not "family-friendly." Do you follow? Do you see where I am going with this? There are so many things that go on in these parks that can be deemed as not "family-friendly" behavior. But if we're being honest with ourselves these instances and behaviors of all kinds truly are so few and far between. And do not insult me by saying "you don't have kids you don't understand." You're right. I don't have kids. I have many young cousins though. I have worked with children for a long time. I don't need to be chastised on the internet by someone who thinks that because I don't have children I "just don't understand." I do understand. I completely get it. Maybe you missed the part where I said I don't find it acceptable for people to act like fools or get completely sloshed. But for you to say people can't have fun, drink, and enjoy themselves at a park that is literally FILLED with alcohol simply because there are children around is just not fair to anyone.

Last year I went to F&W with my mother-in-law, husband, and son who was 3 at the time. We watched Illuminations over by Morocco. Wow - drunkies EVERYWHERE! My kiddo barely noticed. I was more bothered by it, simply because there were a ton of people not paying attention to where they were, where their arms were flailing and and the cussing...chalk it up to my momma bear instincts.

No one really got out of control but the bathrooms over by the Port of Entry were dis-gus-ting. I'm not sure how girls miss...but they did. And two stalls had puke on the floor. It had the same vibe as walking the strip in Vegas. So...next time I'm just going to avoid World Showcase after dark!

#ProblemSolved

If I were trapped on a bus with that nonsense, though....yeah...

Ah, this is one of those threads that's kind of fallen off the deep end already.

Still, I'm a little surprised to see DISers arguing against basic civility. Really? Crowded places aren't safe when folks aren't civil.

IMO, it is becoming pretty evident that our country is currently suffering a breakdown of common civility, and we are suffering because of that breakdown.

Personally, I'm starting to even question the idea of going to crowded places like WDW, because the chances of encountering a problematic person has just gotten too common.

That makes me sad. Just stop and think about current events for a moment.

Call me crazy, but I much prefer the company of folks who are civil towards each other. It is pretty much that simple. Epcot is place where civility should be the norm.

Let's get off the "family-friendly" (overused/not quite fully/well defined term in my opinion) thing. That's not the debate here. Obviously we want Disney to be "family-friendly." But to say that people drinking at Epcot and acting silly or puking in the bushes is taking away from your "family-friendly" environment is honestly just petty. There are so many other things I have seen go on in the parks that I could also deem as not family friendly. Adults, many with children, swearing in front of their own and other people's children for example. We can deem that as not "family-friendly." People getting into full blown arguments. Not "family-friendly." A spoiled child throwing a tantrum and the parent doing nothing about it. Not "family-friendly." Do you follow? Do you see where I am going with this? There are so many things that go on in these parks that can be deemed as not "family-friendly" behavior. But if we're being honest with ourselves these instances and behaviors of all kinds truly are so few and far between. And do not insult me by saying "you don't have kids you don't understand." You're right. I don't have kids. I have many young cousins though. I have worked with children for a long time. I don't need to be chastised on the internet by someone who thinks that because I don't have children I "just don't understand." I do understand. I completely get it. Maybe you missed the part where I said I don't find it acceptable for people to act like fools or get completely sloshed. But for you to say people can't have fun, drink, and enjoy themselves at a park that is literally FILLED with alcohol simply because there are children around is just not fair to anyone.
Okay. I'm going to be as kind here as I can, which is tricky because you've put SO MANY words in my mouth. I was simply responding to you saying you were sick of people saying Disney was only for children. I don't see anyone who has said that. Saying that Disney is a place that is family friendly or geared for all ages is IN NO WAY saying that it is ONLY for children. That was my point, and my only one. I personally never said that the fact that there is alcohol takes away from a family-friendly environment. At all. I absolutely never said people couldn't drink ot have fun in the park. I definitely have a drink or three in the parks. I haven't even commented on the drunken behavior that others have mentioned. So please check yourself before you direct your statements on that to me.

And this is a little off topic, but no, you do not know what it's like to be a parent if you are not a parent. I'm not being condescending, but it's just a fact. I was an aunt several times over before I became a mother, so I know how you feel. I even have a degree in child development and worked with children for years. I would have said the same thing as you did way back then. But I would have been just as wrong about that as you are.

Last edited:
I have served with a federal grand jury for two years. And I can tell you that I have never heard a case of someone being brought up on charges because they cursed around someone under 14 years old.

Please let us know where you think this law is in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter