Let's make a "Firsts-Timers" Master Tip Sheet!

I haven't read the full thread but here is my suggestions.

Collapsible Cooler is a must if you don't reserve a fridge at the values or if staying off-site at hotel that does not suppy a fridge. I use Ziplock bags for ice - less water mess when ice melts, just take the bag to the sink or tub and dump, then go refill with ice at machine. Always double bag the ziplocks inside the cooler. This will fit in your suitcase flat. I have tried the disposable Syrofoam cooler, I found it can be messy to use, as it will sweat alot and if move alot it will spring a leak. Always put a towel under any cooler to capture lost moisture. This way carpet or furniture does not get wet.

Packing liquids - especially if flying. Use Ziplock bags - double bag these also to protect against leaks. Snack size works well for travel size items.

Nightlight - put in bathroom area to help see at night, saves on stumped toes and you won't have to leave a light on.

Fabreeze to Go: works well as an air freshener and for fabrics in room.

Bring extra Zip lock bags with you of all sizes, you will need them I buy Walmart's brand, best value in number of bags in box.

Always store items in day pack or bag in Ziplock bags, you will get wet in the parks, even the rides that give you a Dry area for items to store, (ie: Kali Rapids in AK) as you will find it will still get wet to some extent.

Bring towel or shammy with you to dry off seats that are wet after rain or on a water ride.

And did I mention Ziplock Bags? :worship: Traveler's Best Friend. You can also store just about anything in them to help keep track of items in the room and at the parks. They come in all sizes from jumbo to snack sizes.

I also use a small 1 cup size Rubbermaid container for holding loose change and other small items.

A laundry bag or collapsible Laundry basket is good for keeping dirty clothes in one place.

Disposable Rain Coat is a must, buy in bulk at dollar store or walmart or you can create your own disposable Rain coats using Garbage bags, cut holes in for head & arms then fold and store in snack size Ziplock bags. Dispose of after rain.

Travel Bags do help in conserving suitcase space. I use one to pack my pillow, as I cannot use Hotel pillows due to allergies. I have also used them to condense my clothing down when space was an issue. Get the type that you squeeze the air out.

Power strip for power cords. Most hotel rooms are seriously lacking in electrical outlets for all things with power cords.

I have not read through all the posts here so forgive me if this is a repeat.
Pack large rubber bands or metal binder clips. they come in handy to secure bags of snacks to keep them fresh.

Make Copies
Make copies of EVERYTHING. the back of park tickets, flight confirmations, dining confirmations, resort confirmations, everything. Leave a copy with a friend or relative at home too so if something happens, you can just call up your pal and get the information.

Also make copies of the back of your credit cards that way if they get lost of stolen you have the phone numbers to call and report it.

I have camping towels that I bring each trip, they are small but do the trick to dry off seats or a quick dry off for kids .
,if needed !!

Ooo that sham is a good idea! Takes up less room in the pack and with a quick ring, it's dry. Sure beats toting around a wet bath towel all day.

Ya know what would be nice? It may exist but I have yet to find it. A value box of Zippy bags that has all sizes in it. I don't think I'll need 200 gallon size ones but if there was say 40 in a box with all other sizes, then I would definitely get that! Maybe they sale them at places like Sams Club or Costco or something. Anyone seen anything like that?:idea: :confused:

Collapsable bowls. The only ones I found were in the plastic bowl/container sections. I believe they are Rubbermaid.

The smallest size works just fine to "clip" the curtains of your room closed, hold together loose paperwork (easier than dumping out an envelope), secure partial bags of snacks, clip your fast passes to your KTTW, and most importantly, fasten your poncho hood under your chin to keep in in place. One of the most annoying traits of these ponchos is either having the hood blow off or being in the hood "tunnel" where you can't see to the side. Oh yea, also can use for laundry hanging (if I remember correctly, there's one of those retractable clotheslines in the bath/shower).

I saw this on another thread
www.minimus.biz
It has travel size everything- so if you want just a couple of something, you can buy it here. I saw detergents, food items incl salad dressings in indiv packets, kid's travel games, wipes, etc. I was quite excited. :cool1:
The other good part is you can get a UPS shipping quote just by putting in your city/state/zip, and if you spend $20 shipping is free.
I love the idea of buying and bringing just what I need.

Earplugs - this is my #1 tip that hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet. We never travel to any hotel without them. :wizard:

I saw this on another thread
www.minimus.biz
It has travel size everything- so if you want just a couple of something, you can buy it here. I saw detergents, food items incl salad dressings in indiv packets, kid's travel games, wipes, etc. I was quite excited. :cool1:
The other good part is you can get a UPS shipping quote just by putting in your city/state/zip, and if you spend $20 shipping is free.
I love the idea of buying and bringing just what I need.

Awesome site---thanks! It is hard to find the brand you REALLY like in travel size, so this site is wonderful.

Hi everyone! This May, I will be traveling to WDW for my fourth visit. This is however my first visit with kids. My husband and I are surprising my DSis13 and DSis11 with their first trip to the World. Are there any tips you can give me? I have found a lot of info on trips with young kids but no so many with "tweens". Any advice is appreciated. Make sure to check out my pre-trippie (linked to in my sig) to learn more about the surprise trip. It may help you to give me tips we can really take advantage of. Thanks!

Thanks for all of the advice and tips!!

I'm going to WDW for July 4th next year and can't wait!!

Please keep all tips coming, I'm eager to make sure I go fully prepared, I'm actually getting a little OCD about the trip!!

Thank you

Sophie xx

I've just got a quick question about laundry - I am staying at Pop next year and wondered if I would be able to do any laundry???

I know it's not ideal to be doing laundry on holiday, it's just in case we need to do any laundry!!!

How much would it cost to do the laundry as well?

Sophie xx

sorry if someone mentioned this already but i would pack a mini sewing kit. splitting your pants and mooning mickey would be so uncool! :flower3: :laughing:
thanks everyone for all the great tips! :flower3:

Hi all--First time to DW with hubby and kids, 2 and 5. I don't really want to pay Northwest $15 per bag per leg of the flight for checked bags, so I'm convinced I can get everything into 4 carry-ons for our upcoming January trip. Idea being one pair each of comfy shoes, wear jeans for 2 days, fresh shirts and undies, and a fleece jacket for each in case of chilly weather, do laundry once while at Pop Century. Am I deluding myself, or should I just take everything and the kitchen sink, and pay for the checked bags?

If you're going in the hot, hot season, pick up some cool ties from walmart ( in the camping section). They are wonderful..You soak them before you leave in cold water and tie around your neck . They really work great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter