Let's make a "Firsts-Timers" Master Tip Sheet!

Don't forget to bring an empty tote bag! My manager was a DVC member and gave me a DVC tote bag and I also recieved a free Disney Honeymoon tote bag but didn't think I needed them. (I'm not a tote bag person) I'd seen a few people carrying the tote bag that was sold at our WL Mercantile shop and never thought I'd be buying one! Well in the end, we just didn't have enough room in our luggage PLUS we were able to put our fragile items in the tote bag (ornaments, mugs, et) and keep an eye on them onboard our flight.

*subscribes*

I think I'm gonna be referencing this thread A LOT.:rotfl: This one won't be my first trip, however it will be my first stay at WDW as an adult. Back then I didn't have to worry about the planning. I just went and had fun. Ah, those were the days!

This thread is a great idea - would have saved me a ton of time on my first trip (I'm an ocd planner and spent days/months thinking about what I might need).

Tip: Pack a suitcase with snacks, breakfast items, and favorite foods. If you're staying on-site food can be expensive (even with the snack options on the ddp). Having convenient snacks handy can save a fortune and is just that - convenient.

Hope this helps someone.

This is a great idea. You then have a suitcase for souvenirs!:santa:

I've just got a quick question about laundry - I am staying at Pop next year and wondered if I would be able to do any laundry???

I know it's not ideal to be doing laundry on holiday, it's just in case we need to do any laundry!!!

How much would it cost to do the laundry as well?

Sophie xx

If I have any questions regarding anything Disney I google it. Without fail I get a link to the Disboard and my questions are answered! This saves searching every single topic!pirate:

Hi all--First time to DW with hubby and kids, 2 and 5. I don't really want to pay Northwest $15 per bag per leg of the flight for checked bags, so I'm convinced I can get everything into 4 carry-ons for our upcoming January trip. Idea being one pair each of comfy shoes, wear jeans for 2 days, fresh shirts and undies, and a fleece jacket for each in case of chilly weather, do laundry once while at Pop Century. Am I deluding myself, or should I just take everything and the kitchen sink, and pay for the checked bags?

We plan to ship a box to our hotel. Even if shipping is $15, you are still ahead of the game!

Coloring books.

Both my DD6 and DD4 are addicted to them. What else can keep a normally precocious 4 yearl old in her seat and as quite as a Mouse for hours on end?

I have fun coloring along with them and I don't even notice that the time has flown by.

Travel tips!!! I am ALWAYS searching for ideas to keep the kiddos busy either on the plane or in the car (for 22 agonizing hours!) Any more tips??

This is our first trip to Disney but NOT our first car trip. We are firm believers in DVDs (our mini van is equipped with one). Even as the driver, I find myself listening to the movie!!! I can't tell you how many times we thought we'd make it through all 6 Star Wars movies only to find we ran out of time!! It's a 20+ hour drive from us (Cleveland) to the Tampa area where Grandma and Grandpa live so we're experts.

My kids are getting older so admittedly this is getting easier :cool1: . I do however remember travelling with a 15 month old who wanted constant food and entertainment (omg). Not fun!!!

My kids also love to watch the temperature change (we usually travel at Christmas time so winter to FLA weather is drastically different). I know - cheap thrills!! They also understand maps so they get it each time we leave another state (teaches them geography too). Plus - miles - my daughter is in 3rd grade so she gets time and mileage.

Bottom line - you'll have the "Are we there yets?" regardless = so whatever works with helping your kids understand time or distance really has helped us!! Good luck!

We are actually taking a detour this time to spend 6 days at Disney b/f 8 days at Grandma's on the beach (my vacation after my vacation!!!!!):banana:

we bring a ziplock bag and keep it for when we are on water rides like Kali River Rapids so we can put our videocamera and regular camera in it so we wont have to be worrying if water gets in the middle part where everyone puts their stuff, and some water does get in, so this really keeps the attention on the ride and not worrying.

This is our first trip to Disney but NOT our first car trip. We are firm believers in DVDs (our mini van is equipped with one). Even as the driver, I find myself listening to the movie!!! I can't tell you how many times we thought we'd make it through all 6 Star Wars movies only to find we ran out of time!! It's a 20+ hour drive from us (Cleveland) to the Tampa area where Grandma and Grandpa live so we're experts.

We've got a DVD in the car too. We loved it for the first year. Now we listen to books on CD. Harry Potter is our favorite. You can't beat Jim Dale.

Food, food, food for the park. Definately pack ziplock sandwhich size bags w/snacks for each child. Also freeze water bottles to take in the park.

This is a great thread!! I love reading all of the tips. Even someone who has been many, many times can find a great tip on this thread!!

We found it easiest to take gallon ziplock bags and place an entire outfit in each (underwear, socks, clothes, hair accessories, etc.). I looked a little OCD, but it saved an immeasurable amount of time and frustration. Each morning I just pulled out a baggie, and we were ready and set to go.
We packed this way for a cruise last year and it worked great.. we just put the dirties back in the bags at night and kept our PJ's under our pilows... room stayed neat and tidy and it was so fast in the AM...

Here's a tip I plan on following for our upcoming trip.

Our suitcases are the kind that store inside each other. So we will be packing our clothes in the medium sized one and then packing it in the larger sized one. Then we'll have a whole extra suitcase to bring home souveniers and dirty laundry (doesn't it always seem to take up MORE space than clean clothes?).

Plus we're booking on an airline that does NOT charge for checked baggage so that won't be an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter