Let's make a "Firsts-Timers" Master Tip Sheet!

Hi all--First time to DW with hubby and kids, 2 and 5. I don't really want to pay Northwest $15 per bag per leg of the flight for checked bags, so I'm convinced I can get everything into 4 carry-ons for our upcoming January trip. Idea being one pair each of comfy shoes, wear jeans for 2 days, fresh shirts and undies, and a fleece jacket for each in case of chilly weather, do laundry once while at Pop Century. Am I deluding myself, or should I just take everything and the kitchen sink, and pay for the checked bags?

take advantage of your youngest's nap time and do the laundry

Hi everyone! This May, I will be traveling to WDW for my fourth visit. This is however my first visit with kids. My husband and I are surprising my DSis13 and DSis11 with their first trip to the World. Are there any tips you can give me? I have found a lot of info on trips with young kids but no so many with "tweens". Any advice is appreciated. Make sure to check out my pre-trippie (linked to in my sig) to learn more about the surprise trip. It may help you to give me tips we can really take advantage of. Thanks!

I now have a DD16 and DS 13 so I know about travelling with tweens. Main thing with tweens, indulge their need for independence, if they have it. Let them roam sections of the park together but without adults. It may not be as bad since your are sister, rather than mom, but I know mine at that age were excited that I would let them ride the rides in each section without me, if I didn't want to ride. They thought it was way cool that they were "left alone."

I realize the trip is a surprise, but once they know about it, even if it's on the way there or after you arrive, get them to buy into the plans. If they think something is their idea, they are way more likely to have a good time. Don't overplan, unless your tweens like that sort of thing. Mine like to be more spontaneous, but if it's a really busy time, at least one ADR a day is important.

Make sure they eat. I know that sounds obvious, but sometimes tweens can be too busy to really eat. I know it's time to eat with mine because they get crabby and distracted.

Park breaks are still a good idea if its hot or busy in the parks. Breaks don't mean a nap at this age, though. More likely, swimming, shopping or video game time, that type of thing.

Tweens sometimes can have a bad attitude. Try really hard not to take it personally. A change in scenery might help, or a break, or sometimes absolutely nothing changes the attitude. :scared1:

That's all I can think of right now. Good for you for providing your sisters with this opportunity.

Just went on my first grown-up trip to WDW September 2008. Went when I was 4 in 89', but only to MK, and I don't remember most of it.

My tips:
1. Don't have dinner reservations every evening. It ties you down and wears you out. You have to drop everything and book it to get to your dinner on time, and it's just horrible. Plus you miss all the evening stuff in the parks.
2. No matter how comfortable you think your shoes are, pack an even MORE comfy pair. Sneakers and socks are a must. Forget sock tan lines. You'll be much happier.
3. Unless the weather is very cold, long pants are silly to wear. You ARE going to get hot. If you aren't a shorts person (I certainly am not.) try capris or board shorts.
4. Plan for a little downtime here and there. You'll need it.
5. Related to #4: Don't try to do EVERYTHING in 4 days. My mistake. You'll crash and burn.
6. If you are buying stuff for others, do it ASAP. Don't make the same mistake I did and wait until 11pm on the night you are leaving. You will be cranky and pay too much.
7. Bring all kinds of medicine. One of my friends had an upset stomach, and a headcold during the course of the trip. We had to raid the gift shop for meds and came up with little, and what they had was pricey.
7. Enjoy the little moments! Coming around the bend at MK was so special to me. To see the castle at the end of the street brought tears, and I'm 24! Don't miss the "little" things b/c you're so caught up in the "must ride this" mentality.

All for now!:)

Hi all--First time to DW with hubby and kids, 2 and 5. I don't really want to pay Northwest $15 per bag per leg of the flight for checked bags, so I'm convinced I can get everything into 4 carry-ons for our upcoming January trip. Idea being one pair each of comfy shoes, wear jeans for 2 days, fresh shirts and undies, and a fleece jacket for each in case of chilly weather, do laundry once while at Pop Century. Am I deluding myself, or should I just take everything and the kitchen sink, and pay for the checked bags?

You might want to check out these sites:

http://www.onebag.com/

http://www.travelite.org/

http://www.verber.com/mark/travel/packing.html

My tips:
1. Don't have dinner reservations every evening. It ties you down and wears you out. You have to drop everything and book it to get to your dinner on time, and it's just horrible. Plus you miss all the evening stuff in the parks.

On the other hand...if there is a place you MUST eat, have ADRs there because there is no guarantee that you will get to eat there when you want. If it's a busy time and you really need to eat at a table service for dinner, ADRs are a must. Make a plan, know your preferences to early or later seating, then it's not so hard to know where you are going to be and when you want to eat.

For example, if we are not doing EMH mornings, we go to the park that had EMH the morning before; it's usually less busy. That's where I would make a breakfast ressie if I want one. If I want to do an EMH evening, then I book there, if there's a dinner I want to do at that park. We pretty much can plan where we will be when because of the calendar whether we are staying onsite or off.

Consider whether you are morning people, who will be able to get up and out to the EMH morning before the park opens or whether you would rather sleep in a little and go to a different park (if you are onsite). Or if you are night people who are going to take advantage of the late night park (again if you are onsite). If you are off site you are always going to want to be at an off park than the EMH one. Write all of this down on a calendar or sheet of paper marked Morning, afternoon and night by day. That's your basic plan. After that, decide if you want table service at which parks. Then decide a general idea of what time you want to eat. Now, make your ressies and you are done. Simple enough. :rotfl:

Thanks for the great tip on gardengrocer.com. We were concerned how we were going to get water, snacks, etc while at the park since we are flying in and using the Magical Express. This is just the answer for us. Great advice! I love this forum!

I used WeGoShop.com last year and I was soooo glad I did! :cutie:

Saved time and money, that's for sure....

Another thing I've done is bring (inside the backpack) a small insulated lunch bag to keep a couple of chilled water bottles in (packed with small freezer packs that I kept in the ice bucket overnight, with everything put inside a large ziploc baggie). Even if you refill them, the freezer packs and insulated bag help keep the water bottles somewhat cold. The insulated lunch bag folds flat so it doesn't take up much room in the suitcase, or even filled with water bottles, still is space-efficient.

Thank you so much for this thread. I haven't been to Disney in almost 9 years and am going with an 18 month old in a few months. So I feel as if I need to learn about Disney all over again!

One thing DH and I always do is: After all that shopping you have a ton of those Mickey/Disney plastic bags, we put our clean clothes in the bags and designate one piece of luggage for clean clothes. Then we use the remainder of our bags for dirty laundry and throw in a dryer sheet so the luggage doesn't smell musty from the humidity in WDW. When we get home we know which clothes are clean by what luggage they are in and we reused those disney bags.

This is more of a park tip rather than a packing/planning tip... don't be in such a hurry to rush out of the parks at closing. Walk slowly...take your time... enjoy an empty park! On our last trip we would be one of the last groups leaving the parks each night. There is nothing like strolling down Main St or Hollywood Blvd and having it all to yourself...talk about magic!

7. Bring all kinds of medicine. One of my friends had an upset stomach, and a headcold during the course of the trip. We had to raid the gift shop for meds and came up with little, and what they had was pricey.

Oh, yes! I ended up on antibiotics the last time I was there. Made the trip off site to the clinic and to a pharmacy for the script but never thought to get the acidophilus to with the antibiotic. Ugghh the itch that followed :o

This is more of a park tip rather than a packing/planning tip... don't be in such a hurry to rush out of the parks at closing. Walk slowly...take your time... enjoy an empty park! On our last trip we would be one of the last groups leaving the parks each night. There is nothing like strolling down Main St or Hollywood Blvd and having it all to yourself...talk about magic!

We did this at Epoct countries. Everyone else seemed to be rushing to the buses. We took the time to walk the opposite way all around the countries. By the time we got to the buses, the lines were gone.

my number one tip is take baby-wipes even if you dont have a baby i dont know how many times i've wiped off a table with them or bench they also work to cool you down but better it's like taking a sponge-bath it cleans off the yuck.and they also help remove stains but usually i bring shout wipes because if their's dirt to be had any where in the parks my girl will find it

Take your own straws to AK. The paper ones suck. Just be sure to put them in the trashcan so the animals do not get to them.

Store your stroller upside down (handles DOWN)(we had an umbrella).

It rained a bit while we were in there (not super pouring rain). We came out and EVERY stroller was soaked. But ours was nice and dry. The rain ran right down the stroller and the seat was nice and dry.

I would still put a poncho over it, but in a pinch, the upside down tip works wonders :)

hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter