Longest you've waited for a WDW attraction

Nick6300

DIS Veteran
This is mainly for entertainment value. To see how patient/persistent with Disney attractions we can be. I'm very impatient/restless, but my obsession with Disney works as a contradicting force. Before there were more resources I tracked wait times for ea. attraction every day just for fun/FP planning.

I'm also curious how long the Avatar related wait times are as a learning opportunity when we pick our FP's in June. Other than that there is a boat ride and a flight simulator ride, I haven't really followed the news on it or the finishing show. So maybe someone can share their experiences on which to FP, wait times in the am vs. night.

I'll start:
1. The longest we've waited was about 3.5 hrs. for Toy Story Mania, my favorite. It was busy day, before the new TSM tracks were added, and I believe there were issues with our next ride (usually Aerosmith).
2. Soarin', again before the new screen/terminal... We entered when it stated 105min and it instead approached 3 hrs. We all sat on the ground and inched along.
3. Back in the day, when there were only 2 parks in the 80's, and Space Mt was supreme, I remember 2 hr. wait times during spring break volumes.
4-7. We entered Frozen Ever After when it was new at 120 min est. but I think it was more like 100 min.
We've had a similar wait time once for Mine Train, Test Track, and the Jungle Book show when it premiered.

We typically avoid much more than over an hr. wait times, mostly because we've done the ride already early, and it would be our 2nd or 3rd time. Seen 180 min est. for TT/Soarin' but avoided going on. Weird wait times: Saw 120 min est. on Small World, but it had to be a mistake. Still a bit of mystery to me why Peter Pan is typically the 2nd longest wait at MK and can get those 60-100 min wait times, as a continuously moving ride. Has to be the flight feature, when you think about its wait times vs. Pooh and Mermaid. But it seems like Space Mt had longer waits vs. Pan until fairly recently (past decade).

In terms of aggregate waiting in a day: def. TSM. We typically rope drop it, then continue going on it until our arms fall off (up to about 7x). We've gone on Soarin' 8x in a row before, but the wait times were oddly low that day. Been on Kali River Rapids 15+ times in a day before but again, minimal wait times.

Last edited:
I hate waiting in long lines. The standing still REALLY hurts my feet, so much so that I have to take prescription pain meds for it by the 3rd park day at WDW. I won't wait longer that 25 minutes by choice. The longest I've waited for any ride in the last 15 to 20 years was 40 minutes for Jungle Cruise. It was supposed to be a 25 minute wait (my limit), but a boat broke down, had to be taken out of service, etc.

Back in 1995 in our younger days, DH and I waited for what seemed like 2 hours for Splash. It was a long time ago, and it is the only line that sticks out from that trip because the wait was so long!

Rope drop, a good touring plan and FP+ are my best friends!!!

Last edited:
Also hate long lines (who doesn't). Our longest wait was about 45 mins for Test Track - we had FP+ but it broke down and took ages to come back online.

Waited 2hrs once for Soarin' but it wasn't that we knew it would be that long. When we got in line it said 40minutes. We figured it was relatively new and we wanted to see it (this was 2006) so we'd wait. After 40 minutes had gone by we were already invested and just stuck it out until the end. When we came out the wait time had jumped to 120minutes.
Now I won't get in line for something that's more than a 30 or 40 minute wait. My kids (and I really) aren't that patient.

I think I did 2 hours for Toy Story Mania once. It was pretty torturous on my feet.

60 minutes listed - 45 minutes actual. I would also like to take this moment to thank those that gut it out waiting 2-3 hours for prime attractions and M&G during peak hours. Without your help, standby lines in some of my favorite secondary attractions like HM, JC and POTC might climb to the point of being unreasonable.

60 minutes for Splash Mountain. If I'd been alone, I wouldn't have done it, but my brother and SIL were with me and neither had ever ridden it. My limit is usually 30 minutes or so.

First day, first WDW visit the week before Easter the year of MK 25th anniversary with the Castle looking like a birthday cake. 90 minutes for Space Mountain, we thought Disney would be like this always. Now 25 -30 mins is the most we'll wait.

Bill From PA

When I was little my mom forced me to wait unknown hours to see captain eo opening summer. I remember getting in line all the way back by the land.
In 2014, I waited 3 hours for a bus to get back to my resort after HS closing.
In 2016, I waited 4 hours to get out of a parking lot at HS from multiple accidents left no way out of hte parking lot and everyone, buses included had to just wait it out.
Recently i waited 7 hours for nye fireworks in the hub, 4 hour for last wishes and 5 hours for first happily.

Rides, I've never waited over 20 minutes for a ride. but I have waited over 45 minutes in the rain to get off a ride that broke (kali).

I won't mention what it takes to leave mk on holiday nights with special fireworks.

Last edited:
I've always been in the 20-30 min max camp, even back in the day when my touring style was commando. But I did wait over 60 minutes for ToT one time, when I had my Brother/SIL and Nephew with me. It was their first, and probably only trip, and I considered it a must do but didn't think we'd be able to fit it in another time so we got in line. Half way thru my SIL and Nephew bailed, I think he kind of freaked himself out. My Brother loved it so much that he decided they had to ride it and later in the day we did manage to get back on with a fairly short wait. I also got stuck in the PoC line for 45 minutes one time, when the ride went down but they didn't clear the queue.

DS and I waited 75min for ToT. It was a crazy hot August night, when DS was open late.

DS was obsessed with the misters in the queue line at night. I admit it was a really cool effect, kind of creepy and totally with the ToT theme. We were lucky and had some nice folks around us that we could talk to while waiting.

Back in '98 we waited about an hour for Space Mountain. Since then, the longest we've waited for anything was 35 minutes. It's extremely rare (like maybe once or twice per trip) that we wait more than 20 minutes.

My last trip was a solo last minute trip. I had never ridden Frozen and couldn't get a FP. I had other RD priorities at other parks, though I was planning to RD Epcot on my last day just to ride Frozen and then leave. But it was the middle of the day and the line was an hour. I decided to do it and it went by pretty fast considering I was alone and there is no internet service in that stinking queue.

When I was little my mom forced me to wait unknown hours to see captain eo opening summer. I remember getting in line all the way back by the land.
In 2014, I waited 3 hours for a bus to get back to my resort after HS closing.
In 2016, I waited 4 hours to get out of a parking lot at HS from multiple accidents left no way out of hte parking lot and everyone, buses included had to just wait it out.
Recently i waited 7 hours for nye fireworks in the hub, 4 hour for last wishes and 5 hours for first happily.

Rides, I've never waited over 20 minutes for a ride. but I have waited over 45 minutes in the rain to get off a ride that broke (kali).

Wow! Had to laugh on Captain EO, sorry. We made sure to see it again when it came back recently. Hopefully you still enjoy HS!... those long waits weren't by choice. During Christmas, and capacity warnings at MK, HS parking lot was completely full and people were parking on the grass. A friend, walked through grass/trees after illegally parking and fell/had to go to the hospital. We've occasionally taken buses to close by resorts and walked (i.e. other All Star, Pop/Art).

That Kali breakdown must have been rough. Many of us have probably been stuck on Small World which can be torturous. In 2016 we were stuck slanted on the last uphill on Splash... I have a back issues with not being able to stretch my legs out after a while. They finally gave up and came and got everyone after nearly an hour. Hearing the crows over and over and over, very loudly (we couldn't even nap). We did get to see the ride with the lights on and the behind the ride workers access/supplies.

We waited an hour for Buzz and Woody without knowing it would be that long.

My threshhold is 45 minutes of posted wait. Sometimes you just get stuck in character lines and we deal with it.

2 hours for Space Mountain, this was well before the days of Fastpass. Since then, if the time says more than 40 minutes, I'll pass.

Back in '98 we waited about an hour for Space Mountain. Since then, the longest we've waited for anything was 35 minutes. It's extremely rare (like maybe once or twice per trip) that we wait more than 20 minutes.

cute photo. With these reported shorter wait times, I'm beginning to feel that I must be torturing my wife! At least there were others waiting with us in line ea. time.

That Kali breakdown must have been rough. Many of us have probably been stuck on Small World which can be torturous. In 2016 we were stuck slanted on the last uphill on Splash... I have a back issues with not being able to stretch my legs out after a while. They finally gave up and came and got everyone after nearly an hour. Hearing the crows over and over and over, very loudly (we couldn't even nap). We did get to see the ride with the lights on and the behind the ride workers access/supplies.

the hard part of the break down was we were >< close to starting the ride.. so we were half on the loading "wheel" and half in the water.. it's one of those if it broke 1 second sooner we could have walked off but instead was stuck in the afternoon biblical rain. It was a running joke all week, didn't matter when or what we did, we kept getting stuck in the rain but that was the first one we had no choice. We did score a handful of fastpasses for the day though. The line of boats waiting to unload has it worse, we were the first to get off our raft and didn't need to trek through the slippery ride to get out.

Every ride has an evac time and I think splash is 40 minutes. basically if they can't get the ride going by the time predetermined for that ride, they are required to evacuate, even if they are seconds from the ride coming back on. It has to do with getting people on their way to enjoy the rest of the day.. I remember a time you could be stuck for hours on a ride that stopped before they made that policy. (you can still get stuck for hours but theres another safety issue involved that causes that and not just that the ride stopped.).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter