Longest you've waited for a WDW attraction

The longest I remember waiting for anything was somewhere around 2/2.5 hours for Splash Mountain the first summer it was open (1993 I believe). This was before the days of any kind of fastpass, and it was just my brother and I, visiting a park for the first time without parents. You know that big section of queue in the courtyard between the main Splash building the the bathrooms that is not often used? Every single bit of that was in use then, packed in like sardines, and it poured down rain most of the time we were waiting. Looking back on it, we were nuts to wait that long in that weather, but we so wanted to ride it. These days, there's little I will wait more than about 45 minutes for. I'll either fastpass it, rope drop it, or try last thing before closing. We go at "less busy" times for the most part, so this strategy works well and we rarely have to wait more than 30 minutes or so for most attractions. I expect the lines for the new Pandora rides to be very long, so thinking we'll need to plan on a couple of days of FPs at AK to get one set for each new ride. No way would I wait 3+ hours for anything, even a new ride.

the hard part of the break down was we were >< close to starting the ride.. so we were half on the loading "wheel" and half in the water.. it's one of those if it broke 1 second sooner we could have walked off but instead was stuck in the afternoon biblical rain. It was a running joke all week, didn't matter when or what we did, we kept getting stuck in the rain but that was the first one we had no choice. We did score a handful of fastpasses for the day though. The line of boats waiting to unload has it worse, we were the first to get off our raft and didn't need to trek through the slippery ride to get out.

Every ride has an evac time and I think splash is 40 minutes. basically if they can't get the ride going by the time predetermined for that ride, they are required to evacuate, even if they are seconds from the ride coming back on. It has to do with getting people on their way to enjoy the rest of the day.. I remember a time you could be stuck for hours on a ride that stopped before they made that policy. (you can still get stuck for hours but theres another safety issue involved that causes that and not just that the ride stopped.).

That's funny on the rain clouds stalking you that day at AK. Not for real long, but we sometimes got stuck with the return rafts amassing at the exit on Kali, where we're right under the elephants and the bridge people are brutal.

Makes sense on the evac. procedures. We had just gotten off Splash and debated before going back on because of the short wait (it was winter). That greedy moment didn't pay off - getting stuck near the end of the ride. In a way, I enjoyed getting evacuated from Space Mt, to see it with the lights on or being able to walk through Pirates to an exit. But I'm probably one of the few that felt that way.

I've been using RideMax since 2008, so longest wait is maybe 20 minutes. The trip before that, DW was pregnant and in a wheelchair, so we'd get in line with everyone else...and within 5 minutes a CM would beckon us to the front of the line. Best $7 I ever spent :-)

Back in December of '94, I think I waited 6 or 7 hours for a *rumored* opening of Alien Encounter. A group of us, who mostly didn't know one another, just sat in front of the entrance and smiled when the CMs would come by and tell us the ride wasn't open. Certainly our "line" wasn't moving anywhere. This was the night of the grand opening of Planet Hollywood, and the word was that Michael Eisner wanted to get the ride fired up so he could show it off to his celebrity buddies.
Eventually we did get in to see the show. (AE wasn't exactly a "show", but neither was it a "ride". I guess that's why they call them "attractions".)

That's funny on the rain clouds stalking you that day at AK. Not for real long, but we sometimes got stuck with the return rafts amassing at the exit on Kali, where we're right under the elephants and the bridge people are brutal.

It was actually the entire trip.. it would rain 3 times a day near noon, 4 and then again in the evening.. I was never dry the whole trip and we had to resort break just to change almost daily and did more laundry than I do in a year to have clean clothes.. It was just funny that on the first day with no rain, we happened to ride kali and seconds before we started it broke and suddenly there was rain on the 1 nice day that didn't have rain except for that moment..

I've been using RideMax since 2008, so longest wait is maybe 20 minutes. The trip before that, DW was pregnant and in a wheelchair, so we'd get in line with everyone else...and within 5 minutes a CM would beckon us to the front of the line. Best $7 I ever spent :-)
Could please you tell me about RideMax? I think I've also seen where you could get a temp. disabled pass for pregnant women too. I wonder how much it costs to have one of those CM's guide you around MK and FP everything. Admittedly, I've looked at those families and tried gauge by their clothing how lavish their lifestyles might be.

When Test Track first opened (1999?) the ride was down on the day we started at Epcot. On our last day, we had done everything else we wanted to do and my daughters (then 9, 12, and 14) all insisted that they really wanted to do the ride and didn't mind the posted 90 minute wait. So, I went with them, but my wife opted out. Our wait was close to 90 minutes.

I entered a line with a posted wait time of 150 minutes for the Gringott's ride the summer it opened because it was going to be my only chance. The actual wait ended up being closer to 90 minutes.

In the Fastpass era, I think the longest I've waited is about 70 minutes, probably for Mine Train, because we couldn't get FP+'s. I was there in year 2 when Magic Kingdom was the only game in town and no fastpass, of course. I'm sure there were some longer waits back then, but fortunately, I don't remember them.

As I've been fortunate enough lately to get there at least a couple times a year, I don't make any kind of effort to see the first (or last) of anything. Didn't even bother with the Pandora passholder preview last week, because I was in a different park than my scheduled time (and I didn't see a way in MDE to cancel it)

It was actually the entire trip.. it would rain 3 times a day near noon, 4 and then again in the evening.. I was never dry the whole trip and we had to resort break just to change almost daily and did more laundry than I do in a year to have clean clothes.. It was just funny that on the first day with no rain, we happened to ride kali and seconds before we started it broke and suddenly there was rain on the 1 nice day that didn't have rain except for that moment..

That's funny. I realize that Aug is a rainy time there. But our 2013 Aug. trip... it rained every single day for 7 days. My water resistant watch had water inside it. I remember stepping in deep waters on the streets leaving to Monsters. No lightening, but downpours to where you could barely see and there was flood spots.

Because you're the magic band expert, I started to read on the second set of FPs loophole with borrowed/bought 2nd band and linked phantom ID. Do you think it's worthwhile or only MK because that leftover set of FP's have almost no value at parks like EP (if hopping there in pm the main attractions will be gone). Idk if wife thinks it's not ok to do or too much of a hassle, but I'm interested just out of curiosity- to see if it works.

2 hours for Kilimanjaro Safaris! In May. In 95 degree weather just after lunch.

The wait was supposed to be 30mins but for some reason, about 400 people with the old paper FP started showing up. Policy was to let them all through so unfortunately, we were forced to stand in the same spot for over 45mins before finally being allowed to move forward 20ft.

...Soarin. And I'll never do THAT again. 50min wait and it was down right brutal. I normally don't mind waiting in line but something about having to wait for this attraction was just too much

...Soarin. And I'll never do THAT again. 50min wait and it was down right brutal. I normally don't mind waiting in line but something about having to wait for this attraction was just too much

That said, I've come to realize the best strategy for dealing with long wait times is to advantage of the rain. Whenever it rains, the lines for most outdoor attractions get shorter.

120 minutes for Splash Mountain back in July or August 1993, before FP.

Since then, the longest wait would have been Toy Story Mania in 2010 or 2011. We went in knowing it would be that long, but it was a day trip and we could not get there early enough to pull a FP.

I have rarely waited more than 30 minutes unless there was a breakdown that caused the wait to back up some.

In the Fastpass era, I think the longest I've waited is about 70 minutes, probably for Mine Train, because we couldn't get FP+'s. I was there in year 2 when Magic Kingdom was the only game in town and no fastpass, of course. I'm sure there were some longer waits back then, but fortunately, I don't remember them.

As I've been fortunate enough lately to get there at least a couple times a year, I don't make any kind of effort to see the first (or last) of anything. Didn't even bother with the Pandora passholder preview last week, because I was in a different park than my scheduled time (and I didn't see a way in MDE to cancel it)
I don't want to get sidetracked too much, but as a planner/speed walker, I do miss the pre-FP days or even the paper FP days for selfish reasons - or relishing the simplicity back then. I'm sure the increasing crowds (among other motives) dictated the system.

That's neat you were there in 72. My parents went in 71 after getting married that yr. and every yr. after. Took us each year, even though teachers hated us being pulled out of school. We became legacy goers and wife and I will be there for our 5th consecutive anniversary (of 5). I'm sure we won't be able to make each one, but we will try our best.

With the extra screen + FEA, I hear Soarin' wait times aren't nearly as much as in the past. I haven't gone since last June so wait times were still quite long. As far as the line... they put in trivia games at the beg. of the line, sort of like Space Mt., to keep people busy in line. Seems kind of trivial but every time it's a long wait on Soarin' and you decide to sit down in line or not be right on top of the people in front of you ... the line lane is so huge that people cut.

120 minutes for Splash Mountain back in July or August 1993, before FP.

Since then, the longest wait would have been Toy Story Mania in 2010 or 2011. We went in knowing it would be that long, but it was a day trip and we could not get there early enough to pull a FP.

I have rarely waited more than 30 minutes unless there was a breakdown that caused the wait to back up some.

A lot of people w/ Splash Mt. somewhat surprised. It's going to be down for refurbishment for all but 1st day of our Aug trip.

I think it was 40 minutes for Primeval Whirl last June. We don't get in a line posted more than 30 but one side broke down while we were in line.

A lot of people w/ Splash Mt. somewhat surprised. It's going to be down for refurbishment for all but 1st day of our Aug trip.

Well, in my case, Splash had only been open for about a year and FP did not start until about 6 years later. Since then, I think the most I have waited for Splash is 20 minutes, but I rarely ride unless I am there in the summer or it is a walk on in non-summer months.

The longest line we have waited in was at Princess Fairytale Hall. It was our first trip to WDW, and during the planning our daughter kept saying character meets were not a priority for her so please use the FPs on rides. That's what I did. But then came the siren call of Rapunzel. We were riding the carousel and saw the wait time for Rapunzel was only 20 minutes. So we walked over and got in line. That sign was a lie. We waited for almost 2 hours because, of course, the line might start moving quickly the second we bail and the girl was really psyched about meeting her favorite princess at this point. Almost 2 hours of sore feet torture. Walking is a piece of cake compared to standing in line forever. Thank goodness Rapunzel was wonderful with our daughter, and the meet and greet ended up being one of her favorite parts of the trip. We learned our lesson, though. Rapunzel is still her favorite, and photos with her have become a tradition. But now we FP her. What a difference that makes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter