Good point on the apparation in/out. I didn't really put that together in the trailer, but you're right. Maybe that protection was put in place afterward?
(ETA, I need to consult my "Hogwarts: A History" on this. My inner-Hermione is disappointed.)

This is what I said when people freaked out!

Along with seeing more Jude Law as Dumbledore, I'm looking forward to an explanation of how people are apparating into Hogwarts. ;)
anigif_sub-buzz-19744-1500486243-8.gif

As tempting as Goofy and Dopey are, I believe in setting myself up for success. For me, that means "just" the marathon (my first). It will either be a one-and-done (which I am perfectly okay with) or a precursor to Dopey 2020.

That being said, everyone is different. Many people have successfully run Dopey for their first marathon. You need to decide what's best for you.
I completely understand that. It's taken me years to work myself up to even thinking about a marathon this seriously. The decision to run Goofy or Dopey has more to do with going out of my possibly only marathon in a blaze of glory.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about it. I’ve done all the Dark Side Half’s, the Light Side half, two Avengers half’s and several local Chicago ones. DH has done all those plus WDW marathon once and Dopey twice.

I’ve always wanted to run a marathon and I figure it might as well be Disney, just in case I don’t want to do one ever again! I honestly think I’m most concerned about the full after the half. I figure the 5 and 10 are more just ‘warm ups’.

See you at Dark Side!
I couldn't say that I've always wanted to run a marathon. In many ways it did not interest me at all until this year. But I've always said if I ever run a marathon I will either run the Walt Disney World full or some random marathon where finishing guarantees me being in a Star Wars film. I don't care if I'm wearing stormtrooper armor and my face was never seen in the movie. Like you, I'm most concerned about the full after the half. Everything else will be something I've done before and know how to handle with proper preparation.

I never thought I would be ready to commit to a full, but if I ever did, it would be at Disney!

In the past my long runs for a half always managed to quash any thought of attempting a full. At the very least, I'm reasonably certain if I ever do attempt a marathon, I'm attempting it at Walt Disney World for the first time.

I totally agree!! When I am out doing a typical run (usually 6 or 7 miles), the thought of doing 26 makes me :crazy2:. But I also agree that if I ever did a marathon, it would be the Disney marathon and since I am turning 50 this year, it better be sooner than later!! I would prefer to just do the full but my wife and 2 college aged daughters are doing the half and I would like to run with them so most likely, I will be doing the Goofy – half with them and full by myself. While adding the 5k and 10k would not be too difficult, I have little desire to get up at 3AM four straight mornings so for now, I am ruling out Dopey.

Question for marathon vets: I get the importance of training if for anything, to give you confidence that you can complete the race. I am pretty sure there will not be a time in the next 10 months where I can get a 20+ mile run in. I just don't have the time and frankly, I don’t have much desire to do it. The longest "training" run I will probably do is 10+ miles. However, I run regularly -- 3-4 times and ~ 20-25 miles a week. And I have done a few half marathons. Since I have no time goals, only to finish the marathon, I am wondering if I could just run my typical half marathon pace of about 8:15 / mile until I can’t go any further and then walk the rest of the way? Assuming I make it running to the halfway point, doing the math, I would be well under the 7 hour sweep. Has anyone ever gone into a first marathon with this mindset?

Question for marathon vets: I get the importance of training if for anything, to give you confidence that you can complete the race. I am pretty sure there will not be a time in the next 10 months where I can get a 20+ mile run in. I just don't have the time and frankly, I don’t have much desire to do it. The longest "training" run I will probably do is 10+ miles. However, I run regularly -- 3-4 times and ~ 20-25 miles a week. And I have done a few half marathons. Since I have no time goals, only to finish the marathon, I am wondering if I could just run my typical half marathon pace of about 8:15 / mile until I can’t go any further and then walk the rest of the way? Assuming I make it running to the halfway point, doing the math, I would be well under the 7 hour sweep. Has anyone ever gone into a first marathon with this mindset?

I've never gone into a marathon with this mindset, and I would not recommend it. The point of most marathon training plans is to get you physically prepared to get to the finish line. You need the extended time on your feet in order to do so. Not necessarily 22 miles, but you need the continuous hours on your feet. Signing up for the full knowing you can't complete the training doesn't seem wise to me. I'm sure you could survive and make it through the full - many people who ran the full after the 2017 half got cancelled finished - but it's not setting you up for a very fun day. A first marathon should be fun and exciting and something you look forward to conquering, not something you hope to make it through by intentionally under training. If you know already you can't find the time to get your long runs in, I'd seriously reconsider signing up.

I totally agree!! When I am out doing a typical run (usually 6 or 7 miles), the thought of doing 26 makes me :crazy2:. But I also agree that if I ever did a marathon, it would be the Disney marathon and since I am turning 50 this year, it better be sooner than later!! I would prefer to just do the full but my wife and 2 college aged daughters are doing the half and I would like to run with them so most likely, I will be doing the Goofy – half with them and full by myself. While adding the 5k and 10k would not be too difficult, I have little desire to get up at 3AM four straight mornings so for now, I am ruling out Dopey.

This is why the @DopeyBadger plans intrigue me. I see a path to finishing a full that does not involve 5-6 hour training runs multiple every 2 weeks. I think I can live with multiple long runs every week that prepare me for the time on my feet without keeping me on my feet excessively.

This is why the @DopeyBadger plans intrigue me. I see a path to finishing a full that does not involve 5-6 hour training runs multiple every 2 weeks. I think I can live with multiple long runs every week that prepare me for the time on my feet without keeping me on my feet excessively.

The Non-Runner’s Marathon Trainer has a max of 18 miles. Their training plan has you run 4 days a week.

I’d agree with @FFigawi that you couid be setting yourself up for a very long day but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done. I personally wouldn’t want to do that way but different strokes and all. The one thing I’d say is to slow your pace down from your half pace and that may allow to run further. Why burn it all out half way. Also consider a run/walk plan that you adopt from the beginning of the race - say walk every water stop. Good luck!

Regarding training for a marathon, I don’t think it’s necessary to do multiple training runs of 20+ miles, but it is important to spend a sufficient number of hours on your feet and moving. Also don’t be fooled by the Dopeybadger plans not including 20+ Mile runs, he bases his plans based on time not miles per se. so your long runs are run much slower than race pace and for a long period of time, thus time spent running may well be the same even if you cover less distance on a single run.
I would at least be sure I’ve done a run of at least 16 -18 before a marathon.

You’d likely finish the race but it just wouldn’t be as enjoyable as it would be if you were fully trained. And a full is a whole different beast than a half. It may be twice the distance but feels exponentially more than that.

Good question - Dumbledoe and Harry did it in the Half Bolld Prince movie too. Can no one respect canon! :)
In the the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry and Dumbledore Apparated at the Astronomy Tower, although it is said that no one can Apparate or Disapparate within Hogwarts. Harry mentioned it to Dumbledore, to which Dumbledore replied, "Well, being me has its privileges"

In the the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry and Dumbledore Apparated at the Astronomy Tower, although it is said that no one can Apparate or Disapparate within Hogwarts. Harry mentioned it to Dumbledore, to which Dumbledore replied, "Well, being me has its privileges"

Yeah I was wondering if maybe the excuse there was he could take down the defenses lomg enough for them to do that. Seems like a lot of work though. I will say in the trailer, they apparate on to the bridge which is kind of outside the ground??? Overthinking that?? :)

Can it be done, based on your hypothetical pace? Yeah. Especially with a good corral placement.

But, I agree with @FFigawi, I don’t think it’d be much fun. I did the non-runners marathon plan twiceand topped out at 20 miles. I’m fortunate to have an accommodating family who could make that happen for me. I also had an 18 mile run, which, when you get to those lengths - what’s the difference when it comes to time commitment?

Ultimately, there are a lot of different runners, styles, approaches, etc. both on this forum and in Disney. Find what works for you and have enjoy yourself.

I've never gone into a marathon with this mindset, and I would not recommend it.
Thank you all for replying. I am glad I asked the question because I was worried about how I was considering approaching it. And it’s great to get feedback from the experts.

A few points - First, I am not a couch potato and run regularly. Even if I did this method, I would most likely be able to run further than 13 miles. I’ve just never tried to go further. But the last half I ran I finished strong with my last 2 miles my fastest - both under 8 min/mile. So I know I could go further at that pace. Second - is the concern is being on my feet? Even at that pace I would finish in around 5 hours with the last 3 walking. I am sure there will be many on the course finishing after. The idea of walking it in is specifically so I am not pushing myself and trying to run longer. Making it a more enjoyable day

I’d agree with @FFigawi that you couid be setting yourself up for a very long day but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done. I personally wouldn’t want to do that way but different strokes and all. The one thing I’d say is to slow your pace down from your half pace and that may allow to run further. Why burn it all out half way. Also consider a run/walk plan that you adopt from the beginning of the race - say walk every water stop.
I’ve been intrigued with slowing down and/or stopping and/or doing the run/walk after reading about it on this forum. I’ve tried it on some of my long runs and I find it doesn’t really help me. I am better getting into a groove a keeping a pace. I actually think I’d have a shorter day running at my pace til I don’t want to run anymore and then leisurely walk it in.

Based on your opinions, will definitely try to get a few longer runs in. Maybe a 15+ miles. I doubt I’ll do 22 miles. But at least going out and trying it once or twice makes sense.

POT question that I think I asked before but I cant recall where or when... So lets say you wait to register for the marathon after POT deadline on October 9th (I think). Lets say a run a race on October 20 and register as soon as race results are posted, would I be allowed to post the result from that race, or I still need to have a race that was run before October 9th?

I want to say before the POT deadline is what I recall but not 100% sure... I doubt the marathon sales out, so the other question is how late does registration stay open?

POT question that I think I asked before but I cant recall where or when... So lets say you wait to register for the marathon after POT deadline on October 9th (I think). Lets say a run a race on October 20 and register as soon as race results are posted, would I be allowed to post the result from that race, or I still need to have a race that was run before October 9th?

I want to say before the POT deadline is what I recall but not 100% sure... I doubt the marathon sales out, so the other question is how late does registration stay open?
I believe Keels answered and said the POT has to be before that deadline date no matter when you register.

The marathon could be open until a week or so before the race. It depends on when they want to close it.

Also don’t be fooled by the Dopeybadger plans not including 20+ Mile runs, he bases his plans based on time not miles per se. so your long runs are run much slower than race pace and for a long period of time, thus time spent running may well be the same even if you cover less distance on a single run.
I would at least be sure I’ve done a run of at least 16 -18 before a marathon.

I write custom plans based on your current fitness, history, time available to train, etc. It's custom to you and your life. From there, I use my training philosophies to mold a training plan around you. One of the key training philosophies that I follow is a max training run (if continuous run) of 150 minutes (I'm still working on finding a max run/walk duration but I found 180 min to be successful at marathon weekend). So that means the max run (150 min) might be 20 miles for a 3:00 marathoner, or 12 miles for a 5:45 marathoner. But since my training philosophy is based on current relative fitness and duration, then I believe many of my runners I coach are doing the same training load (regardless of whether they are a 3:00 marathoner or 5:45 marathoner). So for a person who runs a HM in a 8:15 min/mile, that would be 16 miles.

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 7.53.14 PM.png

LR pace for someone with a 1:48 HM fitness is a 9:18 min/mile. 150 minutes of a 9:18 min/mile is 16.12 miles. Thus, the limit of 16 miles. The plan certainly doesn't end at the long run though. I prefer to limit the long run to 25-30% of the total mileage of the week. So if 16 miles represents 25% of weekly mileage, then the scheduled mileage for the week would be 64 miles. I set a limit of 35% as the long run from the total weekly mileage. If the time available to train doesn't allow a cap of 35%, then I lower the max run from 150 minutes to fit your availability. And on and on it goes from there.

But as @ZellyB says, "don't be fooled". Don't misunderstand that my plans are easy by maxing at 150 minutes (which for some is 12 miles). Because the total training load can be (but doesn't have to be) quite high. But it's kept at 80% easy and thus makes it accomplishable.

My ideas might seem odd, but they're based on the ideas of many well known running coaches like Hansons, Jack Daniels, Gaudette, and Lydiard.

Here's some info if you're interested: How I write a Custom Training Plan and TESTIMONIALS: 2018 Disney Marathon Weekend; Winter/Spring 2018 (updated 3/11/18)

Look through the testimonials and you're bound to find someone of a similar pace and you can see what they did in their custom plan. By no means does that mean you would do the same exact thing, because at the end of the day it's custom to you. I once wrote a 4 day plan, maxed at 14 miles, and the person set a PR of almost 90 min on their 3rd marathon (but first with me). So no matter who you are or what your availability is, I can help.

As for the plan to run HM pace until you can't and then just walk it in, I'd highly recommend not doing that. The marathon is a special beast and you're likely to be very humbled by the inability to walk at any pace resembling normal walking if you go HM pace through the first half. From personal experience, I did my first marathon very undertrained (hey look this marathon-thing is only $10 more than the HM, but twice the distance. What a deal??!?!). I ran that first half like you plan in 2:05 (like HM pace for my fitness at the time). The second half took me 2:50 and was VERY painful. I had to be helped into the car after the race was over. It was a miserable experience (never doing a marathon again!). But doing the training I did in Spring 2015 (my first like I do now), was a 42 min marathon PR of 3:38 (and HM PR, 10k PR, and nearly 5k PR). Best marathon experience ever! Being well trained and having a solid strategy made the experience so more enjoyable.

Thank you all for replying. I am glad I asked the question because I was worried about how I was considering approaching it. And it’s great to get feedback from the experts.

A few points - First, I am not a couch potato and run regularly. Even if I did this method, I would most likely be able to run further than 13 miles. I’ve just never tried to go further. But the last half I ran I finished strong with my last 2 miles my fastest - both under 8 min/mile. So I know I could go further at that pace. Second - is the concern is being on my feet? Even at that pace I would finish in around 5 hours with the last 3 walking. I am sure there will be many on the course finishing after. The idea of walking it in is specifically so I am not pushing myself and trying to run longer. Making it a more enjoyable day

I’ve been intrigued with slowing down and/or stopping and/or doing the run/walk after reading about it on this forum. I’ve tried it on some of my long runs and I find it doesn’t really help me. I am better getting into a groove a keeping a pace. I actually think I’d have a shorter day running at my pace til I don’t want to run anymore and then leisurely walk it in.

Based on your opinions, will definitely try to get a few longer runs in. Maybe a 15+ miles. I doubt I’ll do 22 miles. But at least going out and trying it once or twice makes sense.

I’ve had good results with planned walking breaks in races that I’m doing as “fun” runs. It gives my legs a brief break and has greatly reduced soreness the following days. One things for sure in running though - there’s no shortage of people who will tell how you should do it - you just have figure what works for you and stick with the plan. I’d never consider running a marathon seriously without 20-23 milers but that’s me. Others have success doing it differently. It is truly the cliche of an experiment of one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter