Those 15-20 mile training runs were insanely hard: my feet took a pounding, my hips tightened up painfully, I had a hard time keeping up my energy and motivation to go on. BUT that was all in training... so when I ran the actual marathon, it was a breeze, because I'd forced physical adaptations in training. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life, that first marathon!
Also think part of that is the race itself. The mindset, the motivation, the other runners, the crowds cheering, the scenery - especially at a RunDisney race. It is so much harder to get out and push yourself to run 15-20 miles when you are by yourself running through the neighborhood or god forbid on a treadmill :crazy2:

I don't mind ESPN. Its not my favorite but it isn't terrible. I really like running through the stadium where they call everyones names and such. In 2017 they played college fight songs throughout the complex and was thrilled when they played the Wisconsin fight song. This year no music at all except for a DJ or two....

Also think part of that is the race itself. The mindset, the motivation, the other runners, the crowds cheering, the scenery - especially at a RunDisney race. It is so much harder to get out and push yourself to run 15-20 miles when you are by yourself running through the neighborhood or god forbid on a treadmill :crazy2:

Don’t knock it until you try it. Finding the motivation to run long is pretty easy when there is a full marathon staring you in the face a few weeks in the future. :)

Right, training runs can be boring as all get out at times, but imagining where you'll be & how you'll feel finishing the marathon makes it all worthwhile. To me anyway. Feeling strong & a I did all I could possibly do to me is a much better feeling than a I hope I survive this thing. To me race day really is the reward for the training as said above.

Don’t knock it until you try it. Finding the motivation to run long is pretty easy when there is a full marathon staring you in the face a few weeks in the future. :)
This was my motivation as well. Often times during my training runs I would let my mind drift off and imagine myself running the marathon, what it would feel like running down Main Street, crossing the finish line, etc. I knew that performing my training runs well would make those experiences that much greater for me.

I have never really "trained" for any of the races I've done with the longest being a half marathon so, yes, I think I need to do something to better prepare me for the race in January. I will most likely push myself to get out early on a few weekend mornings and do a few longer runs maybe work in some long walks too. Like I said earlier. I posted on this thread because I truly wanted advice from those of you who have done it and I appreciate the feedback. I will respect the distance and I am sure I will be ready. I am very excited and can't wait to do the race!!

You've already gotten a ton of really good advice, as well as some opinions, but I figured I'd throw mine in there, as well.

I'm roughly the same size, and I also have the general "in shape" mentality, vs using a formal training plan. I've run Goofy for the last 8 or 9 years, and thrown in an occasional marathon elsewhere throughout the years.

I typically run my 5-6 miles a few times a week, and then throw in a 12-14 every other weekend or so. It isn't anything drastic, but it serves the purpose.

During the marathon, I run the first 10-12 miles at my standard pace (8:30-9, or so), and then I start my run-walk. I don't push it until exhaustion, because then I have trouble with the "run" portion of run-walk. Run 5, walk 1, and maybe play with that a little, depending on where the downhills and the water stops fall, but it's generally close.

I usually finish around 4:20-4:30, and the walking, in my opinion, helps to reduce soreness after the race.

Using a formal training plan would improve my performance. I have absolutely no doubt about this, and if you do a keyword search for "DopeyBadger", you'll find a ton of testimonials from him and those he has helped that would agree. Specific training will help your performance.

That said, if life and other things do get in the way, in my experience, you can complete the marathon, have a good time, and not completely destroy your legs without running any 18-20 milers. I haven't run that far outside of a marathon in years.

Just my two cents. Either way, sign up for the full. You'll love it.

Finding the motivation to run long is pretty easy when there is a full marathon staring you in the face a few weeks in the future. :)

Feeling I did all I could possibly do to me is a much better feeling than a I hope I survive this thing.
But I wasn't worried about surviving or even finishing before I started posting on Disboards. Now I am terrified. :scared1: Training starts this weekend!!:thumbsup2

in my experience, you can complete the marathon, have a good time, and not completely destroy your legs without running any 18-20 milers. I haven't run that far outside of a marathon in years.

Thanks, I think you and I seem pretty similar And your plan is pretty much how I saw myself doing it. Except I think i can run a bit further than 10-12 miles before i started walking. And then I envisioned doing a long walk (maybe a mile) and then start to run walk where I could. I figured if I really could not run any further I could walk the whole way but that would be a long walk!!. After reading the advice here, I think adding the occasional long run will help me tremendously. I have already started by doing a few 10 mile runs over the last month or so. But now I will also plan to run a some 12-14 over the next few months and then hit a couple 16 milers in the fall as I get closer.

Also think part of that is the race itself. The mindset, the motivation, the other runners, the crowds cheering, the scenery - especially at a RunDisney race. It is so much harder to get out and push yourself to run 15-20 miles when you are by yourself running through the neighborhood or god forbid on a tread

Don’t knock it until you try it. Finding the motivation to run long is pretty easy when there is a full marathon staring you in the face a few weeks in the
I don't usually mention it (for fear of ridicule... because I know I'm in the minority), but 99% of my training is on my treadmill. It is cold and wet 9 months out of the year where I live. My neighborhood is hilly and not the nicest. I could drive to a trail, wooded or paved, but I have serious safety concerns about running them alone. While I know some local runners, they are all significantly faster than me, so I am not typically invited to join them. Bottom line, my treadmill is my comfort zone.

I started running (for the first time in my life...) 5 years ago to train for my first half marathon (Wine & Dine). I was told I couldn't train for a half marathon only on a treadmill. Well, I've now finished 15 half marathons and countless shorter races and I trained for every one almost exclusively on my treadmill!

Needless to say, I am very self motivated. However, training for my first full marathon will be a new adventure...

I don't usually mention it (for fear of ridicule... because I know I'm in the minority), but 99% of my training is on my treadmill. It is cold and wet 9 months out of the year where I live. My neighborhood is hilly and not the nicest. I could drive to a trail, wooded or paved, but I have serious safety concerns about running them alone. While I know some local runners, they are all significantly faster than me, so I am not typically invited to join them. Bottom line, my treadmill is my comfort zone.

I started running (for the first time in my life...) 5 years ago to train for my first half marathon (Wine & Dine). I was told I couldn't train for a half marathon only on a treadmill. Well, I've now finished 15 half marathons and countless shorter races and I trained for every one almost exclusively on my treadmill!

Needless to say, I am very self motivated. However, training for my first full marathon will be a new adventure...

My mom (62 yo) finished Dopey 2018 with only treadmill miles. The hard part for her was not trying to race the 20 somethings at the gym when she ran next to them. Motivation can go a long way!

But I wasn't worried about surviving or even finishing before I started posting on Disboards. Now I am terrified. :scared1: Training starts this weekend!!:thumbsup2

Lol, yeah count on us to suck the joy out of it. ;)

Anyway, really, we are just sharing our thoughts and experiences. Ultimately, you do you and we’ll all be rooting for you. I think we all love the runDisney experience we want everyone to give themselves every chance to love it.

You've already gotten a ton of really good advice, as well as some opinions, but I figured I'd throw mine in there, as well.

I'm roughly the same size, and I also have the general "in shape" mentality, vs using a formal training plan. I've run Goofy for the last 8 or 9 years, and thrown in an occasional marathon elsewhere throughout the years.

I typically run my 5-6 miles a few times a week, and then throw in a 12-14 every other weekend or so. It isn't anything drastic, but it serves the purpose.

During the marathon, I run the first 10-12 miles at my standard pace (8:30-9, or so), and then I start my run-walk. I don't push it until exhaustion, because then I have trouble with the "run" portion of run-walk. Run 5, walk 1, and maybe play with that a little, depending on where the downhills and the water stops fall, but it's generally close.

I usually finish around 4:20-4:30, and the walking, in my opinion, helps to reduce soreness after the race.

Using a formal training plan would improve my performance. I have absolutely no doubt about this, and if you do a keyword search for "DopeyBadger", you'll find a ton of testimonials from him and those he has helped that would agree. Specific training will help your performance.

That said, if life and other things do get in the way, in my experience, you can complete the marathon, have a good time, and not completely destroy your legs without running any 18-20 milers. I haven't run that far outside of a marathon in years.

I do just about all of training on A treadmill. I run six days a week. I trained for dopey last year almost exclusively on the treadmill with a few outdoor runs (once a week) when the weather was conducive.

I don’t live in an area where it is nice to run and frankly I usually don’t feel all that safe when I do run outside. And I feel self conscious. I also am not one to get into the car to drive somewhere to work out. If I had to do that...the run wouldn’t get done.

Like you, I find the treadmill to be my comfort zone. And given that it is right downstairs I have no excuse to skip runs.

This is too true!!

Quick background since I'm new here: My first marathon was also my first runDisney event, which was in 2014. My sister wanted to run it and I decided to do it with her. After that I became slightly addicted to runDisney. And have since brought my other half, @DreamRunner1, into runDisney events (for him, it helped that Disney acquired Star Wars and branded some of the events accordingly).

I did Dopey in 2015 and signed up for Dopey in 2016, but life got in the way and I ended up deferring to 2017. Besides being cold (maybe not as cold as I’ve heard 2018 was, but still freaking cold!), 2017 had the cancelled half marathon. I did my 13.1 in the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower parking lots, so I didn’t feel that I cheated, but it wasn’t the same level of accomplishment.

On account of the semi-Dopey in 2017, I was fine doing another one. Ideally, @DreamRunner1 would join me but anytime I uttered the word marathon I either got very ugly looks or choice words that I won’t share here! But, after he stumbled upon a trip report by @ZellyB, he became curious, and then read a few more trip reports. I think even though he is nervous, he has decided we are going to run Dopey in 2019!

So, back to my original reason for replying to this post… After surviving three Disney marathons, I will say that I still despise the part through ESPN Wide World of Sports. I’ve even cursed it when I go to the expo for other runDisney events because of the memories of that part of the marathon course. So, I’m glad to hear that I'm not alone in these feelings.

Thanks to everyone for all of the information in this thread. I have been more of a lurker than a poster on the boards, focusing on WDW, DCL and Aulani. I stupidly never sought out runDisney info. I look forward to learning more and hopefully meeting some of you in January!

Glad you are venturing out from lurking to posting I love the runDisney side of these boards. It’s almost uniformly a positive and happy place to be.

Seconding @run.minnie.miles suggestion to join The Running Thread to get to know people on here!

I don't usually mention it (for fear of ridicule... because I know I'm in the minority), but 99% of my training is on my treadmill.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with training on a treadmill and I know alot of people who will only run on a treadmill. I have one too and I do like streaming the occasional sporting event on my ipad while running but I usually reserve the treadmill for days when there is just too much snow on the ground to get by. I just love being outside especially in nice weather!!

One of the nice things about treadmill training, when you get to race day it feels great to run outside!

I have only run on a treadmill a handful of times myself. But after a recent diagnosis of Raynaud's, we're in the process of buying a treadmill so I can lessen my time outside in the WI winter. Hoping to have something before the next winter, and I'm interested in the new Peloton Tread (time will tell whether that's actually what I end up getting). Once that happens, I think your statement will resonate even more with me.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with training on a treadmill and I know alot of people who will only run on a treadmill. I have one too and I do like streaming the occasional sporting event on my ipad while running but I usually reserve the treadmill for days when there is just too much snow on the ground to get by. I just love being outside especially in nice weather!!
More embarrassing admissions... The bulk of time spent on my treadmill is spent playing solitaire on my iPad! Weird, I know...but it doesn't take to much thinking (or agility), just enough to distract me from how many miles I'm running.

I do just about all of training on A treadmill. I run six days a week. I trained for dopey last year almost exclusively on the treadmill with a few outdoor runs (once a week) when the weather was conducive.

I don’t live in an area where it is nice to run and frankly I usually don’t feel all that safe when I do run outside. And I feel self conscious. I also am not one to get into the car to drive somewhere to work out. If I had to do that...the run wouldn’t get done.

Like you, I find the treadmill to be my comfort zone. And given that it is right downstairs I have no excuse to skip runs.
Whatever works! The biggest thing is that you get the miles in! The treadmill is nice because you can watch movies while you're running haha. But after I started running outside I haven't been on the treadmill since

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter