So for a person who runs a HM in a 8:15 min/mile, that would be 16 miles.
I’ve seen your posts before and they always seem to confuse the heck out of me. At my pace I need to be able to run 16 miles? I am pretty sure I can do that.

As for the plan to run HM pace until you can't and then just walk it in, I'd highly recommend not doing that. The marathon is a special beast and you're likely to be very humbled by the inability to walk at any pace resembling normal walking if you go HM pace through the first half. From personal experience, I did my first marathon very undertrained (hey look this marathon-thing is only $10 more than the HM, but twice the distance. What a deal??!?!). I ran that first half like you plan in 2:05 (like HM pace for my fitness at the time). The second half took me 2:50 and was VERY painful. I had to be helped into the car after the race was over. It was a miserable experience (never doing a marathon again!). But doing the training I did in Spring 2015 (my first like I do now), was a 42 min marathon PR of 3:38 (and HM PR, 10k PR, and nearly 5k PR). Best marathon experience ever! Being well trained and having a solid strategy made the experience so more enjoyable.
Well, you are like the 6th person to discourage this strategy so I am glad I asked and will now just need to find time to do longer runs before January or at least find a way to run/walk at a slower pace. I am sure I will be ready and will finish. But if it turns out to be a terrible experience and a one and done, oh well. I would be ok with that too. It’s a Disney marathon!! You get to run thru the parks and you can stop and take pictures with characters. How terrible can it be? ;)

Well, you are like the 6th person to discourage this strategy so I am glad I asked and will now just need to find time to do longer runs before January or at least find a way to run/walk at a slower pace. I am sure I will be ready and will finish. But if it turns out to be a terrible experience and a one and done, oh well. I would be ok with that too. It’s a Disney marathon!! You get to run thru the parks and you can stop and take pictures with characters. How terrible can it be? ;)

Talk to us when you hit ESPN Zone. ;)

Oh, you will ... as if hitting the wall at 20 miles isn't bad enough, wait until you're zig-zagging around the most boring part of property that Disney has to offer.
Ahhh, got it!! @lhermiston is referring to the ESPN Wide World of Sports. Not the ESPN Zone on the Boardwalk which is not on the course. :drinking1

Yeah, that part of the race does not look fun :scared:

I’ve seen your posts before and they always seem to confuse the heck out of me. At my pace I need to be able to run 16 miles? I am pretty sure I can do that.

And that's a failure on my part then. As a researcher in the science field, one of my top priorities is always making my knowledge accessible to others. So if I failed to explain something so that it makes sense to you, then by all means ask me questions. Because I want to help you as best I can. People PM me questions all the time. My top PMs with other people have 512, 353, 245, and 237 posts and that's just on my page one. So feel free to ask away if something I said was confusing.

To the second part, yes. If I were to write you a training plan, then 80% of the training would be at a 9:18 min/mile or slower. And that your longest run in training would be 16 miles at 9:18 min/mile. That 16 miler would likely occur twice near the end of the plan. The peak week would have at least 45 miles in it (or about 7-8 hours of training).

I totally agree!! When I am out doing a typical run (usually 6 or 7 miles), the thought of doing 26 makes me :crazy2:. But I also agree that if I ever did a marathon, it would be the Disney marathon and since I am turning 50 this year, it better be sooner than later!! I would prefer to just do the full but my wife and 2 college aged daughters are doing the half and I would like to run with them so most likely, I will be doing the Goofy – half with them and full by myself. While adding the 5k and 10k would not be too difficult, I have little desire to get up at 3AM four straight mornings so for now, I am ruling out Dopey.

Question for marathon vets: I get the importance of training if for anything, to give you confidence that you can complete the race. I am pretty sure there will not be a time in the next 10 months where I can get a 20+ mile run in. I just don't have the time and frankly, I don’t have much desire to do it. The longest "training" run I will probably do is 10+ miles. However, I run regularly -- 3-4 times and ~ 20-25 miles a week. And I have done a few half marathons. Since I have no time goals, only to finish the marathon, I am wondering if I could just run my typical half marathon pace of about 8:15 / mile until I can’t go any further and then walk the rest of the way? Assuming I make it running to the halfway point, doing the math, I would be well under the 7 hour sweep. Has anyone ever gone into a first marathon with this mindset?

My only add to all this is walking uses different muscles and if you plan/think you'll do much walking (even if not till the 2nd half) I would definintly train with some walking. It uses different muscles and can be just as taxing on you, especially if you are already running low on steam or at least in my experience it is. I was doing Dopey in 2016 and got terribly sick the night before the marathon so had to walk much of the marathon, it was hard & my shins killed. I had actually trained with some run/walk due to piriformis syndrome but it wasn't for continuous walking, it was the Galloway 30 sec. walk breaks. Anyway, my thing is respect the walk just as much as the run if you plan on doing it that way :)

Talk to us when you hit ESPN Zone. ;)

Hahahaha!!!! No kidding!!!

For me, that stretch between ESPN and HS is the low point and most mentally grueling stretch... (especially where they play 'Don't Stop Believin' on endless loop ==> EVIL)
...but when I actually get into HS, that feeling is flipped 180-deg. It's all (still about 4 miles at that point) rainbows and unicorns!!!

Call me crazy but I like ESPN Wide World of Sports, it's mesmerizing! All the turns though aren't ideal but at least there's stuff to look at and good characters:) But yet it feels so good to leave it behind.

(I need to preface my comment by saying I have NOT run a marathon yet. Next January will be my 1st.)

I think the most challenging/rewarding part of racing is the training. That's what makes signing up for a race difficult, but the result of running the actual race a celebration. For my 1st half, the 13.1 miles on race day was not the hardest part, it was getting out for those long runs- and the completion of those training runs was SO satisfying. Crossing the finish line isn't just a celebration of completing the distance that day, it's a celebration of all of the hard work leading up to that moment.

And that's a failure on my part then. As a researcher in the science field, one of my top priorities is always making my knowledge accessible to others. So if I failed to explain something so that it makes sense to you, then by all means ask me questions. Because I want to help you as best I can. People PM me questions all the time. My top PMs with other people have 512, 353, 245, and 237 posts and that's just on my page one. So feel free to ask away if something I said was confusing.
Well, when I started this RunDisney thing, I was told there would be no math!! :rotfl:

Actually, I am half kidding. I totally respect the science of running and I am sure if i got into it, it would be fascinating for me, too. I respect everything you have done on these boards and I am sure others have gained a tremendous amount of confidence and love for the sport thanks to your guidance.

I have always been of the mindset of just being in shape. My "training plans" for people who ask me how I am in such good shape at (almost) 50 years old has always been to just get your rear-end outside and start running!! For folks I have informally worked with, I say it takes about 60 days of doing it consistently 3-4 days a week. If you can get over that hump, the running endorphins start to kick in and you start to get excited about going out to run as opposed to dreading it. I have found people really struggle to get over that hump so a formal training plan to be successful makes a ton of sense.

But that is why I have run for so many years. I love my runs. I love being outside and the time to myself. I have never thought of it as training. Dedicating time is always tough in the busy worlds we live in. The time dedication as well as my size - I am 6' 1" and over 200 lbs, are the main reasons why I have shied away from doing longer marathon length runs.

I have never really "trained" for any of the races I've done with the longest being a half marathon so, yes, I think I need to do something to better prepare me for the race in January. I will most likely push myself to get out early on a few weekend mornings and do a few longer runs maybe work in some long walks too. Like I said earlier. I posted on this thread because I truly wanted advice from those of you who have done it and I appreciate the feedback. I will respect the distance and I am sure I will be ready. I am very excited and can't wait to do the race!!

Last edited:
My only add to all this is walking uses different muscles and if you plan/think you'll do much walking (even if not till the 2nd half) I would definintly train with some walking. It uses different muscles and can be just as taxing on you, especially if you are already running low on steam or at least in my experience it is. I was doing Dopey in 2016 and got terribly sick the night before the marathon so had to walk much of the marathon, it was hard & my shins killed. I had actually trained with some run/walk due to piriformis syndrome but it wasn't for continuous walking, it was the Galloway 30 sec. walk breaks. Anyway, my thing is respect the walk just as much as the run if you plan on doing it that way :)
Can I consider my many trips to Disney as my walking training? I typically do about 9-11 miles a day when I am there. in fact, going back and looking at my Apple watch activity for Jan 7 with the 13 mile half marathon and then going to the parks after, I totaled over 24 miles that day. :)

Call me crazy but I like ESPN Wide World of Sports, it's mesmerizing! All the turns though aren't ideal but at least there's stuff to look at and good characters:) But yet it feels so good to leave it behind.

I like the ESPN section too. Running through there sure beats the long out and back on Osceola the previous course used to have. Plus, as you said, there are lots of characters with usually very short lines, a nice soft running track for a few hundred meters, and when you leave, you can be thankful you're not on the other side heading in as you head over to DHS.

I have never really "trained" for any of the races I've done with the longest being a half marathon so, yes, I think I need to do something to better prepare me for the race in January. I will most likely push myself to get out early on a few weekend mornings and do a few longer runs maybe work in some long walks too. Like I said earlier. I posted on this thread because I truly wanted advice from those of you who have done it and I appreciate the feedback. I will respect the distance and I am sure I will be ready. I am very excited and can't wait to do the race!!

Yes, you really do need to do something more than just get out and run to prepare for a marathon. Sure, as people have said, you can tough out a marathon on no training, but you're not likely to have a good experience that way. To really make running Goofy an enjoyable weekend, you should find a training plan and follow it. Whether it's one from @DopeyBadger, Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway, the Hanson brothers, or even Runner's World, a plan will help you get physically ready for the full distance while also carefully balancing your load to help prevent injury.

I really have no idea what that means :confused3

Yup. I misspoke. But as others have said, ESPN is - in my lone experience - a drag. You’re on a boring stretch of road getting in and out, it feels like you’re in there forever and it’s late in the course. Not ideal, but maybe you’ll love it!

It’s kind of a “the night is darkest before the dawn” situation, though, because HS to the finish line is terrific.

Oh, you will ... as if hitting the wall at 20 miles isn't bad enough, wait until you're zig-zagging around the most boring part of property that Disney has to offer.

This is too true!!

Quick background since I'm new here: My first marathon was also my first runDisney event, which was in 2014. My sister wanted to run it and I decided to do it with her. After that I became slightly addicted to runDisney. And have since brought my other half, @DreamRunner1, into runDisney events (for him, it helped that Disney acquired Star Wars and branded some of the events accordingly).

I did Dopey in 2015 and signed up for Dopey in 2016, but life got in the way and I ended up deferring to 2017. Besides being cold (maybe not as cold as I’ve heard 2018 was, but still freaking cold!), 2017 had the cancelled half marathon. I did my 13.1 in the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower parking lots, so I didn’t feel that I cheated, but it wasn’t the same level of accomplishment.

On account of the semi-Dopey in 2017, I was fine doing another one. Ideally, @DreamRunner1 would join me but anytime I uttered the word marathon I either got very ugly looks or choice words that I won’t share here! But, after he stumbled upon a trip report by @ZellyB, he became curious, and then read a few more trip reports. I think even though he is nervous, he has decided we are going to run Dopey in 2019!

So, back to my original reason for replying to this post… After surviving three Disney marathons, I will say that I still despise the part through ESPN Wide World of Sports. I’ve even cursed it when I go to the expo for other runDisney events because of the memories of that part of the marathon course. So, I’m glad to hear that I'm not alone in these feelings.

Thanks to everyone for all of the information in this thread. I have been more of a lurker than a poster on the boards, focusing on WDW, DCL and Aulani. I stupidly never sought out runDisney info. I look forward to learning more and hopefully meeting some of you in January!

This is too true!!

Quick background since I'm new here: My first marathon was also my first runDisney event, which was in 2014. My sister wanted to run it and I decided to do it with her. After that I became slightly addicted to runDisney. And have since brought my other half, @DreamRunner1, into runDisney events (for him, it helped that Disney acquired Star Wars and branded some of the events accordingly).

I did Dopey in 2015 and signed up for Dopey in 2016, but life got in the way and I ended up deferring to 2017. Besides being cold (maybe not as cold as I’ve heard 2018 was, but still freaking cold!), 2017 had the cancelled half marathon. I did my 13.1 in the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower parking lots, so I didn’t feel that I cheated, but it wasn’t the same level of accomplishment.

On account of the semi-Dopey in 2017, I was fine doing another one. Ideally, @DreamRunner1 would join me but anytime I uttered the word marathon I either got very ugly looks or choice words that I won’t share here! But, after he stumbled upon a trip report by @ZellyB, he became curious, and then read a few more trip reports. I think even though he is nervous, he has decided we are going to run Dopey in 2019!

So, back to my original reason for replying to this post… After surviving three Disney marathons, I will say that I still despise the part through ESPN Wide World of Sports. I’ve even cursed it when I go to the expo for other runDisney events because of the memories of that part of the marathon course. So, I’m glad to hear that I'm not alone in these feelings.

Thanks to everyone for all of the information in this thread. I have been more of a lurker than a poster on the boards, focusing on WDW, DCL and Aulani. I stupidly never sought out runDisney info. I look forward to learning more and hopefully meeting some of you in January!

Welcome! Be sure to hop over on the Running Thread too and jump in answering a "Question of the Day." We're a friendly (and sometimes sassy) bunch ;)

Question for marathon vets: I get the importance of training if for anything, to give you confidence that you can complete the race. I am pretty sure there will not be a time in the next 10 months where I can get a 20+ mile run in. I just don't have the time and frankly, I don’t have much desire to do it. The longest "training" run I will probably do is 10+ miles. However, I run regularly -- 3-4 times and ~ 20-25 miles a week. And I have done a few half marathons. Since I have no time goals, only to finish the marathon, I am wondering if I could just run my typical half marathon pace of about 8:15 / mile until I can’t go any further and then walk the rest of the way? Assuming I make it running to the halfway point, doing the math, I would be well under the 7 hour sweep. Has anyone ever gone into a first marathon with this mindset?
Second - is the concern is being on my feet? Even at that pace I would finish in around 5 hours with the last 3 walking. I am sure there will be many on the course finishing after. The idea of walking it in is specifically so I am not pushing myself and trying to run longer. Making it a more enjoyable day
So, my experience is this: I've been running for fitness most of my 45+ years, have always been athletic and fit, work out daily. I'm a slow runner, but I already had excellent baseline fitness before I decided to start running long distance - so I get that part of the equation. What I experienced with my first marathon was that none of that meant anything once I got up to 15 miles. Those 15-20 mile training runs were insanely hard: my feet took a pounding, my hips tightened up painfully, I had a hard time keeping up my energy and motivation to go on. BUT that was all in training... so when I ran the actual marathon, it was a breeze, because I'd forced physical adaptations in training. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life, that first marathon!

I know that one can finish a full without going past 10 miles in training because I have friends who did it. Fit, athletic, fast friends who for various reasons just couldn't get any higher in training mileage. They reported that the second half of their marathon was pure misery. They were proud of themselves for finishing, but they do not describe it as an enjoyable experience.

I think all of that should be taken into consideration. What kind of marathon do you want?

To be completely honest, that will not work. If your only goal is to finish under the 7 hour sweep then maybe. But it won't be enjoyable. For me personally I wouldn't feel great about walking the entire second half of a marathon. If I can't put 100% effort into something then I don't do it. I never want to have that feeling of looking back and thinking "I could have done better". It's one of the worst feelings.

Training for a marathon is a huge time commitment. I didn't have time for my 18, 20, or 22 mile runs, but I MADE time for them because finishing the marathon was more important to me than a Saturday night with my friends or sleeping in. Your body needs to get used to long distances.

I've been telling this to a lot of people after running the WDW Marathon this year. I felt like the first 16 miles went by super fast, but then I felt like I was at the WWOS forever. I was like when the heck am I going to be leaving this place. After I got into Hollywood Studios, adrenaline kicked in and carried me through the last couple of miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter