Marathon Weekend 2024

This will be my 3rd Dopey in person and fourth overall (when I had to do that one at home).

I can attest to @DopeyBadger 's training plans. I have been using the same plan for the past three Dopey's and things have worked out very well for me. I have no interest on spending 20+ miles on my feet in a single run before getting to Marathon weekend. The idea of getting used to running on tired legs throughout your training plan is one that has worked out very well for me.

Thanks @DopeyBadger .

A total newbie here, so happy to have found this forum and you bunch of lovely people!

At 4pm UK time I was going about my daily business until one of my running buddies posted that she'd got in to the MW. By 4:30pm out of sheer FOMO and spontaneity, I was signed up to run the Marathon (it was only the marathon and the half marathon left that weren't fully booked, but go hard or go home, right? :sunny:)
I'll be doing this solo and travelling solo, it'll only be my second marathon (running my first this October 2023!) and my first-ever WDW RD event. So looking to make some friends!
Someone reassure me I haven't gone completely mad!

Last edited:

At 3:30pm UK time I was going about my daily business. By 4:30pm I was signed up to run the Marathon (it was only the marathon and the half marathon left that weren't fully booked, but go hard or go home, right?)
I'll be doing this solo and travelling solo, it'll only be my second marathon (running my first this October 2023!) and my first-ever WDW RD event.
Oh ... if you run Disney, you are completely mad. LOL

You made a great decision, and I am sure you will finish upright and with a Disney smile on your face. The Marathon at Disney is a wonderful experience that all should take part in. The encouragement provided by other runners is amazing, the Disney music helps keep you motivated and moving, the character meet and greets are like a carrot on a stick that helps you get from one mile to the next, Experiencing the parks and backstage areas is fascinating and can bring many to tears of joy, the added bonus of partaking in a quick ride on Expedition Everest during the marathon is unforgettable, and the ability to experience Disney's food and wine without guilt is the icing on the cake.

Great choice and happy training!

It’s hard to know the exact reasons, but rD/Disney have done an incredible job of creating and cultivating a perception of scarcity to go along with the obvious demand on their races currently. The group FOMO around the races is apparently very real.

I also think the registration process helps the FOMO feed on itself. They’ve made getting into and through the queue a competition now and once you’ve “won” I think anyone undecided about things feels like they should sign up for everything they were contemplating (for themselves and others) because they were “lucky” enough to get through. The queue also creates a distorted sense of urgency.

Of course the easy answer is that there’s still just more demand on the races than I realized. I think the proximity to New Year’s again this year is making it easier for people to travel. Perhaps 2025 will see a decline with the likely move back to Jan. 9-12.
You hit the nail on the head. FOMO is a big time driver in all of this. I know it is really the reason my buddy decided last second to register for the full. He had literally told me 30 minutes prior that he crunched the numbers and that it wasn't worth the money to do MW and Disneyland half marathon. He said he could go on a nice trip to Hawaii for cheaper. An hour later I get a text of his registration confirmation. He got through and couldn't resist.

The FOMO is real though. I get it. Iron Man runs through our town every year. When I am out on my lunch run, I see the Iron Man competitors training/working out. I tell myself I could do one and start the wheels rolling in my head. But then seeing the cost and really thinking about it, I usually talk myself out of it. LOL. One of these days I am just going to do it without thinking.

It’s hard to know the exact reasons, but rD/Disney have done an incredible job of creating and cultivating a perception of scarcity to go along with the obvious demand on their races currently. The group FOMO around the races is apparently very real.

I also think the registration process helps the FOMO feed on itself. They’ve made getting into and through the queue a competition now and once you’ve “won” I think anyone undecided about things feels like they should sign up for everything they were contemplating (for themselves and others) because they were “lucky” enough to get through. The queue also creates a distorted sense of urgency.

Of course the easy answer is that there’s still just more demand on the races than I realized. I think the proximity to New Year’s again this year is making it easier for people to travel. Perhaps 2025 will see a decline with the likely move back to Jan. 9-12.
I said I wasn't going to consider doing the marathon until at least 2026 (when I turn 45), but if they do push back for 2025, the marathon would be on my birthday...

I said I wasn't going to consider doing the marathon until at least 2026 (when I turn 45), but if they do push back for 2025, the marathon would be on my birthday...
As someone who has run the WDW marathon 2x as a 38 year old......birthdays are a massive driver to sign up for things. "Oh, but it's for my BIRTHDAY!" "Wouldn't it be fun to run _____ for my birthday?" 🤣

So I can commiserate with the whole "but my birthday" line of thinking.

RunDisney NEWBIE! I'm officially registered for my first runDisney events! (prior registration was the 2019 Star Wars rivals run- a no go due to Covid). I'm doing the Half and the 5K. I'm a first-time poster in this thread, and I have to say it looks like an amazing group! I'm so happy to see I'm not the only solo traveler and runner! (I have opened the invite to come along to my 2 college age kids, hoping at least one will come). I'm definitely open to any tips or strategies for race weekend! (Already a little nervous about getting up at 2:30am for the 5K, then having a day in the middle, then doing it again for the half...but it CAN be done, right? lol).

Also going to shoot for 2024 Princess, 2024 W&D, then the big bucket list goal is 2025 Dopey- a month before my 50th! I sure hope my legs can handle it!

(...now I just need to get that AP....)

Jumping in on the training conversation -- I followed Galloway pretty well except I subbed in some Peloton rides for weekly runs, but never skipped a long run. I trained at around a 15 minute pace, and ended up pacing 14:03 - 14:20 for most of the full, after the previous 3 races. Ended up at 15:02, on my pace (with a ton of walking from 20 - 26.2).

I'm a noob, but the relative simplicity of the Galloway plan worked for my first dopey. I'd like to get a better time on the next one, so I might explore other things, but we'll see how I do with Wine & Dine first.

So, when DW had to sign me up for the marathon because I was at the airport (and was getting nowhere on my own), and she was going to try to get both of us into the 10k. Apparently, the travel questions they now have really slowed her down (because she had to answer them all three times) and the 10k sold out as she was making her way through. BUT... she decided to tear off the band aid and go for the half. I promised we would work out time for her to really train, since it hasn't been easy since DD arrived. (10 months old today!) She's nervous and excited about it, but I'm really proud she decided to go for it.

And about the sell-out situation. I don't know if we're returning to a running boom, as I think those numbers are gone for a while. But I do know rD has been capping the marathon compared to past years. This year, the marathon was over 2000 runners SMALLER than the Princess Half! In 2017, my Dopey year, the marathon had 17,755 finishers, compared to 12,694 this year. I'm not sure why. The bottlenecks on the course have been a problem, but then why is Princess bigger? It may be a volunteer problem, as they did drop a lot of benefits for volunteers a few years ago. So who knows?

What a interesting morning! I was following along to see how things went to prepare myself for this step for 2025 MW. So, I have a few questions.
1. How many of yall registered yourself and another racer at the same time? Is this a good idea or should you go for one at a time?
2. Are you providing your POT during registration or doing it later? If later are you picking a slower time so you are not prompted to provide the information?
3. Did everyone here who wanted to run the marathon and was on their computer when registration open get in?

I registered myself and hubby with zero issues. After registration was confirmed, I was redirected to my account where I sent him a link to claim his registration. Easy peasy for once!!

That said, he was sitting beside me and was 45 minutes behind in the queue. Go figure…

I used his training for the Princess 10k and it worked really well for me. But for longer races I don't know how well it would work, so I'm going to look into another training plan.
The Galloway plans will absolutely work. I do note though that I began to enjoy running more after I increased the frequency of my weekly runs.
I used his training for the Princess 10k and it worked really well for me. But for longer races I don't know how well it would work, so I'm going to look into another training plan

I think I'm going to look for something in the 4-5 day a week range. 3 days a week seems a bit low for my liking.
For me, recovery was actually quicker after I started running 4-5 days a week.
The balance is that you have to commit to the long, long, LONG runs later in the plan. Galloway does three 20+ mile runs including a full Dopey simulation with 26 miles at the end of it. I didn't find them hard as I just built them into my life - i.e. these days I am unavailable because I am running all day - but other people do.

With Galloway, I found that my legs recovered faster and I stayed healthy. I know my body and it would never stand up to running 5-6 days per week.
I used the Galloway plan for many years. Finished 6 half marathons and 3 10K/Half Marathon challenges using it. I knew I would not have the time nor the desire for the weekend long runs prescribed on his Marathon plan given my speed so the marathon held very little interest for me.

But then I discovered @DopeyBadger plans and the rest is history.

The Galloway plan helped me gain the confidence that I could do this and helped me in the journey to the marathon. While I use different methodology now, I still incorporate his run/walk/run method.
I subscribe to the intervals, but not the long runs at my (lack of) speed. IME running more than 3 hours risks injury and fatigue I need extra rest days to recover from.
That was me. After my first marathon, I'm not sure I could have handled the long distances of the Galloway plan given the time on my feet and recovery.
Personally, I'd rather see it all maintained under one thread because everybody brings useful information and experience to the table. I also think the idea of splitting things out to a "not-so-fast" paced group isn't consistent with the inclusivity and welcoming nature that we try to maintain with the community, even it that's not the intention. You also run into that weird space of having to define what "not-so-fast" even means.

As an alternative, what would you think of a thread along the lines of "Runners Seeking Race Buddies" that specifically dealt with pairing up people looking for running companions without limiting it to pacing and keeping the overall discussions for the weekend in this thread?
I completely agree with this. I might be able to run a sub 6:30 marathon if I didn't get distracted along the course at Disney World. Maybe. I have learned so much in the annual version of this thread and other threads here from far faster runners. I would not have attempted the marathon had I not learned from this community, including the many, many runners much faster than me. I discovered in training for marathon number one that I had been making a series of mistakes in training and running for years. Marathon training exposed them and I learned how to correct them precisely because other runners here shared what they had learned.
FOMO plays a part. I also think to some degree we are still dealing with pent up demand because of the pandemic and then 2023 selling out so quickly.
I have no interest on spending 20+ miles on my feet in a single run before getting to Marathon weekend.
I was so intensely sore after my first marathon that I did not move pain free for 3 days. Not sure I could have trained with that much soreness.
It's too late for that, but that's okay because

I registered myself and hubby with zero issues. After registration was confirmed, I was redirected to my account where I sent him a link to claim his registration. Easy peasy for once!!

That said, he was sitting beside me and was 45 minutes behind in the queue. Go figure…
How do you send a link for someone to claim their registration? I registered my neighbor on my account. If it's possible for him to claim his registration now, that would be awesome.

What a interesting morning! I was following along to see how things went to prepare myself for this step for 2025 MW. So, I have a few questions.
1. How many of yall registered yourself and another racer at the same time? Is this a good idea or should you go for one at a time?

My take on one at a time vs all at once is order of priority. My DW's Dopey was the "this will ruin the vacation if we don't get it" so I got her done first. My daughter and my 5k was in the "nice to have, but we want to do it together" category, so I did ours at the same time, after my DW's Dopey was secured.

Last edited:
How do you send a link for someone to claim their registration? I registered my neighbor on my account. If it's possible for him to claim his registration now, that would be awesome.

On the dashboard of runDisney you have to virtually sign an agreement. His had a click here link to send him. I logged in just now but since he claimed it his registration is gone.

Hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter