Masks - really ?

The disclaimer below was copied directly from the ShopDisney website... so, 1) It is a money thing, although Disney will donate up to $1m from sales to Medshare. 2) I have to question whether $20 for 4 masks that are basically cosmetic only, is worth the price. 3) These masks are pre-order and won't arrive until July 15th.

Disclaimer: This Disney cloth face mask is not a surgical face mask which provides liquid barrier protection. This cloth face mask should not be used (1) in a clinical setting where the infection risk level through inhalation exposure is high; (2) for antimicrobial or antiviral protection or related uses or uses for infection prevention or reduction or related uses; (3) as a respiratory protective device, or (4) for high risk aerosol-generating procedures. Disney makes no warranties, either express or implied, that the face mask prevents infection or the transmission of viruses or diseases.

Yes, I do see a lot of theory. The scientific things I see don't support this claim.

@Blueslegend said research has shown it to be true and I was just asking if they could point me in the direction of that research.
As a person who smoked for 20+ years (I now vape) I would hate to see a whole new group of people get addicted to nicotine without substantial proof that it would work.

Yes, I do see a lot of theory. The scientific things I see don't support this claim.

@Blueslegend said research has shown it to be true and I was just asking if they could point me in the direction of that research.
layman's discussion-
https://www.dw.com/en/does-nicotine-help-against-the-new-coronavirus/a-53260336hypothesis-
https://www.qeios.com/read/FXGQSB
There's a reasonable basis to suspect nicotine playing some part in prophylaxis. Still far from proven or understanding the complexities. It's interesting.

Definitely not the time to start lighting up though.

A lot of it is simply making people "feel" safe which is half the battle of getting people back out there. After a while, as people feel safer, the masks will go away.

While the flu isn't near as deadly as this, we all (even the vulnerable) go out there every winter without masks and hand sanitizer around every corner.

layman's discussion-
https://www.dw.com/en/does-nicotine-help-against-the-new-coronavirus/a-53260336hypothesis-
There's a reasonable basis to suspect nicotine playing some part in prophylaxis. Still far from proven or understanding the complexities. It's interesting.

BTW, I think that is 2 sources for the same study. One is the article most people can read. The second one is where they sent it to the scientific site, Qeios.

The article said this at the outset:

According to a new French study, smokers could be better protected than others from the novel coronavirus because nicotine blocks its docking sites. Another study, however, suggests exactly the opposite.

So, I'll wait before I pass on this recommendation. ;)

It's talking about the drug, nicotine, too. Totally different thing from smoking and definitely not the time to start lighting up.

The article said this at the outset:

According to a new French study, smokers could be better protected than others from the novel coronavirus because nicotine blocks its docking sites. Another study, however, suggests exactly the opposite.
That was stated on the link.

Definitely this is not the time to begin an unhealthy habit or mess with our lungs. It is interesting to ponder whether the excess danger to smokers is being partially offset by nicotine. There are many complexities around that such as stage of smoking, because we know smoking causes similar comorbidities to those that increase vulnerability to Covid.

layman's discussion-

I can't see that be viable for people with COPD/ Emphysema from smoking. Those people are more high risk. Crazy.

I can't see that be viable for people with COPD/ Emphysema from smoking. Those people are more high risk. Crazy.
It's a probe into the physiological properties of nicotine and how it interacts with human chemistry and coronavirus. Having people with COPD smoke to combat severity of infection is outside this conversation.

It's a probe into the physiological properties of nicotine and how it interacts with human chemistry and coronavirus. Having people with COPD smoke to combat severity of infection is outside this conversation.

So is any study dealing with nicotine on a mask thread. Go figure.

The hypothesis is about the role nicotine may play. Not about people smoking to combat covid.

I'm trying to make a distinction. To dismiss nicotine because smoking is harmful throws the baby out with the bathwater.

Sorry, this is my fault. @Blueslegend had made the statement about nicotine and I asked him to give me some info on that, but he never came back. Others posted.

I agree that the nicotine thing sounds strange. I think some people are hearing nicotine, but thinking smoking. I had heard that 3 times just this week and I wanted clarification. I should have just asked my husband to call his friend back.

So, just to clarify on that single point, it is not smoking. It's the drug nicotine. Entirely separate things and as far as I'm concerned, the science really doesn't support it enough, at this time, for people to be talking about it like it can give us some hope.

Sorry, this is my fault. @Blueslegend had made the statement about nicotine and I asked him to give me some info on that, but he never came back. Others posted.

I agree that the nicotine thing sounds strange. I think some people are hearing nicotine, but thinking smoking. I had heard that 3 times just this week and I wanted clarification. I should have just asked my husband to call his friend back.

So, just to clarify on that single point, it is not smoking. It's the drug nicotine. Entirely separate things and as far as I'm concerned, the science really doesn't support it enough, at this time, for people to be talking about it like it can give us some hope.
I agree, it's nowhere near the hope stage. It's just interesting to follow the different avenues of current research underway. Another one that sounded interesting was Naproxen, which similarly suggested to block receptors the same way it is being speculated about nicotine.

We have been wearing masks and gloves for the past 4 weeks....well before the official announcement of our state now requiring masks.
We know nothing is perfect. Of course not. But we are doing everything in our power to possibly lessen the chance of getting it. All the more so because THIS flu has insanely major possible consequences.

If we DO get it and get very ill, we do so knowing we did everything in our power to prevent it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter