Masks - really ?

I ordered my kids a medium and they are just making the measurement of the medium. I measured myself and would be a large but I am also at the smaller end of the measurement.

I do not have a trip planned but I am in a state that is requiring them when out in public. if you don’t have a mask you can’t go inside a store. Also they are talking about requiring kids to wear masks in school when they do eventually go back. If that’s the case I will have them and be able to wash them regularly. Hopefully they will fit their face well and be comfortable.

The fact that the masks are not available until June 29 tells me that Disney knows Covid 19 is going to be a long term thing.
June 29? Mine are supposed to ship on June 15.

I also saw that a lot of them are already sold-out. Wow. I got lucky I guess.

Hi all

So I see Disney are now selling masks. However are masks effective or is this simple profiteering?

From a C19 perspective I can’t see how masks will be effective. Every time you touch it, drop it to eat or drink or indeed and dare I say smoke, it is rendered useless. By virtue if you like to eat, drink or smoke (Food and Wine spring to mind) you would need at least 20 masks a day. And good luck with the kids wearing masks and social distancing.

As such and in my humble opinion (combined with the false sense of security masks can dangerously provide) masks are not an option.

The only viable option I can see is to somehow ensure everyone in the ‘bubble’ is not a risk. Virus free.

Thoughts ?
Profiteering!!

We tried to order two sets - different patterns.
I got an email that said the starwars ones i orderd are sold out. Why did they let me order it?
Maybe tomorrow they will have more... its the magicbands all over again.

June 29? Mine are supposed to ship on June 15.

I also saw that a lot of them are already sold-out. Wow. I got lucky I guess.
I just checked again, they say available on June 29 so maybe they’ll ship earlier? Yep lots are sold out. I was planning to buy one Star Wars for my son and the princess for my daughter. Both of those mediums were sold out so they are going to share the faces masks of Mickey, Pooh, stitch and marie. They are not thrilled about Pooh but whatever, you get what you get. 😁

I just checked again, they say available on June 29 so maybe they’ll ship earlier? Yep lots are sold out. I was planning to buy one Star Wars for my son and the princess for my daughter. Both of those mediums were sold out so they are going to share the faces masks of Mickey, Pooh, stitch and marie. They are not thrilled about Pooh but whatever, you get what you get. 😁
I ordered mine at 11:00am as soon as I became aware of them. I jumped on them because I have seen this kind of thing happen so many times before.

Hopefully this is only the beginning of Disney masks, and more will come out to meet demand.

I ordered 2 sets this morning. One for me and one for DH. Our Florida retirement community is requiring masks for all activities. We will put them to use when they arrive. I also like that the proceeds are going to a good cause.

All profits from the sale of the Disney masks will be donated.
To clarify, their profits up to the $1 million dollar threshold will be donated. After $1 million, no more donations. I still applaud the gesture and think this is a wonderful idea, but Disney is a business and has business interests to look out for as well.

I have the Mickey/Minnie ones in my cart. I can’t decide on the size. I am coming up with the measurement right at the beginning of the large but end of medium. Not sure which on to get.
If you ordered what size did you get?
I preordered large Pixar.

Re the smoking comment. Weird as it may sound research suggests that nicotine has an adverse affect on C19. However I would in no way suggest that we all start smoking or vaping.
Maybe the virus is smart enough to know how bad smoking & nicotine are and avoids it!

I think the Disney Masks are cute and might consider purchasing some. Right now my state is only recommending using some sort of face covering when in situations where we can not social distance. I am considered at risk and so is out youngest and due to that we are going to continue to have only DH be going to stores until we are in at least phase 2 in our state. Phase 1 is no more than 10 people unless of course your household has more than that. Believe me there are a number of families that large around here some which are parents and kids and some which include grandparents, aunt, uncles, cousins, ect living in the household as well. Though they will not be able to go out to eat when resturants open up here next week as the max that can be seated at a table is 6 to guarantee that everyone is in the same house hold (no going out to a meal with the grandparents joining your family right now) and the tables or booths must be at least 6 feet apart with the others either removed or blocked so they can not be used in the case of booths that can not be moved. We will be continuing to get our food to go and will have DH go pick it up. Ok part of that is my car died and sadly it doesn't look like it is going to be brought back to life so until my DH bothers to do a couple of steps to see if we are looking at one thing or another on another vehicle of ours and we can get some prices on what needs to be fixed either way I don't have a vehicle I can drive so I won't have to worry if a place has opened back up and is no longer offering cubside pick up. We also normally go to places at lower crowd times anyway due to our youngest having sensory issues and loud crowded places can result in melt downs. We would rather go have a late lunch between 2 and 3 PM and have a happy kid than deal with one person needs to take the kid out because a melt down is either starting or has started and we are trying to be considerate of others and not have it get worse while if the entire family is there the rest wait for to go boxes and pay the bill owed. Sometimes that is a one person job, none of us have been brave enough to attempt a solo trip with our youngest unless it is to walk in order and walk out to have the item elsewhere or is somehing that we can easily pick up and go with and is paid for at time of ordering. Considering that even attempting to get my youngest to wear a scarf when it is -20 to -40 and that is without windchill results in a melt down (we carried while still small enough covered with a blanket over head) and we go from warm house to warm vehicle to church, grandparents, and special therapists to help with special needs including the SPD so we either just say hold a scarf over your face for that short of time or we hold it ourselves, securing it in any fashion nope.

I hope that people can be kind and considerate to people who for some reason or another can not wear masks just a few articles I found on this

https://observer-reporter.com/news/...cle_d6e2a56a-8993-11ea-8148-d31b642d27f5.html
https://jimmyhinton.org/what-about-...xzBe-f9Bks61zs7RViEJPEdBhKI9Vq3D2mKMVTyzNzkBw
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/0...n-the-deaf-communicate-if-they-cant-lip-read/
I hope that Disney and Universal both come up with some masks that are clear in the center at least for their cast/team members who are certified as sign language inturpeters so that those who are deaf and hard of hearing can still have that communiction. I also hope that they give some traiing that if a guest indicates that he or she is deaf or hard of hearing they at least use some signage that says hello let me get someone who can help you if the conversation is beyond what can be done with short signs. Telling someone hi welcome to attraction or ride name is one thing making sure that they know things like where to stow items, what items can not go on that ride or attraction, and other things that would fall under safety issues can be something entirely different espcially if it is someone who uses lip or speech reading along with what hearing he or she has and under normal circumstances can understand those directions.

As someone who suffers from Asthma though it has gotten better so I mainly have problems when we have wild fires in my area which after having higher slightly higher than normal rainfall spring and summer 2018, higher than normal snow pack both winter 2017-18 and 2018-19 and much higher than normal rainfall sping and summer 2019 combined with lower than normal tempatures our having had lower than normal snow pack winter 2019-20 and lower than normal rainfall so far this spring means if we don't get our May/June rains and we have the tempatures soar the chances of having a high number of them are we are in a tinder box. According to drought monitor the percentage of my state that from last week to this week that is at a D0 which in the lowest drought condition level is up 1.5% this level is the following conditions

Soil moisture is low, dryland crop germination is poor, pastures are dry
Fire danger increases
Streamflow is low, affecting recreation fishing

the numbers like this now are not good as we are not even into our dry season which is normally late June until we get a good 2-3 inch snowstorm usually in mid to late October if an early year in the valleys and a few weeks earlier in the mountain regions.

I don't know if I could wear a mask without feeling like I was suffocating and I have worn a bandana over my mouth and nose when we have had fires within 15 to 20 miles that you can smell the smoke and I have had friends from outside my area message me going are you in any danger. No it's far away in actually this area and on the other side of the river no where near me though we can smell the smoke if the wind is just right. Honestly while I don't have a Disney Trip planned beyond the this is where I would like to stay or at least have for accomadtion features and how long I would want to go for planned out if I ever get given a big check with lots of zeros so I can take that return trip I honestly would have to say that even though it has been 3743 days since I got on the tragic express bus back to the airport if face masks were manditory for guests I would either be canceling or waiting to schedule a Disney Vacation.

I still might get a set just to have on hand but mainly if we have another love hate relationship with severe fires year here (love because my DH gets extra hours as he is on the call in team to get the food ready to be taken to the various fire camps and that means more money so that we can pay things off faster and I can get back to Disney sooner. Hate because it's no fun when there is a haze everywhere from all the smoke). so at least if I need a mask to go from my house to my vehicle to where ever I am going into to do business at I have some favorite characters.

And if you touch your face with your hands whilst adjusting the mask ? Come on, let’s be honest there must be a better way. That’s all I am saying.
...define "better way." Because while no, masks aren't foolproof, they are an effective way of dramatically reducing (not eliminating, but reducing) the droplets in the air that spread the virus. What "better way" do you see, because I'm not sure I see one.

Temperature checks? Not awful, a lot of places are doing it, but there are two problems with that. The thermal scanners are notoriously not reliable and can be impacted by a LOT of outside factors (including the air temperature. ...in Florida. That'll work well.) The other issue is that a person can have the virus and not be symptomatic. We know this to be true. People can either not have started showing symptoms yet (meaning they're fine their first day, park-hopping their way around the World, only to fall ill on day 2 or 3 of their vacation) OR they can be an asymptomatic carrier who doesn't have a fever and won't ever get a fever or feel ill but is nevertheless transmitting the virus to others.

Testing everyone? Sure, that might be a great idea, and that's what many states are shooting for eventually, but right now and for the foreseeable future there are some serious problems with that. First, there aren't nearly enough tests. Second, even when there are tests there isn't enough equipment or personnel to process them at the rate they're being administered. Third, they are being manufactured by a wide array of companies, all of which are using different thresholds of antibodies to determine whether they think a person has had it already and/or is therefore immune from it. The tests to see if a person actively has the virus right now this second has an absurd false-result rate, to the point where in China they were administering tests 2-3 times per patient because that cut the "false negative" rate down to "only" 25%. The tests at this point in the US aren't much better than that.

A vaccine? Yeah, that's the end goal, to be sure, but that has issues too. It's likely to take 12-18 months to get one, then the time it'll take to get people injected, and the ridiculously high anti-vax rate in the US.

So what "better way?"

Okay, I think a few people need to understand the definition of the word 'profiteering'. The word does NOT mean making a profit by selling goods people need in a crisis/pandemic, that is considered being an entrepreneur.
Profiteering is making a profit by selling goods people need in a crisis/pandemic at excessive prices.

4 masks for $20 is $5 per mask, there are definitely more expensive handmade masks on etsy (so, not excessive pricing). On top of that, Disney is donating the profit .... which means they are not gaining profit.

While some may dislike Disney's choice for selling masks, for whatever reason, it does not mean they are profiteering.

One of many sources: https://legaldictionary.net/profiteering/

Hi all

So I see Disney are now selling masks. However are masks effective or is this simple profiteering?

It's going to be a new thing, the term Corona-Fashion is already introduced and several fashion labels have started their mask-lines.
Disney would be an idiot if they left the masks with Disney characters etc. to the people on Etsy. There is a demand for it, why wouldn't they?
Does a mask need to be branded or in happy colors? No, but people like to express themselves, and if you have to wear a mask, better make it a fun one! :)

Compare it to women who wear a headscarf, some stick to neutral colors, others go all out and color coordinate their entire outfit around their headscarf.

Re the smoking comment. Weird as it may sound research suggests that nicotine has an adverse affect on C19. However I would in no way suggest that we all start smoking or vaping.

I've heard that about nicotine 3 times this week, but I can't find anything reputable that makes that claim. Can you point me to your source?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter