• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Matt's Fall, 2019 adventure with Club 33 and 21 Royal

I'm not hating, just wanting my shellfish as part of one of the courses of the meal. Picking your group so everybody gets what they are after/likes is a must at this price point for me.

I agree. I am a polite taster of everything. If it still has eyes attached to it, it really bothers me, no matter the taste. I just don’t like make eye-to-eye contact with my food. But that’s pretty much the only food preference I have, and I’ll still take at least a couple bites of whatever my friends or husband orders, eyes or not. At this price point, I’d want to make sure I got to try everything the chef wanted to plate, even if it’s out of my own comfort zone.

Say more about this. Napa used to do cooking school?

It was the BEST event of the F&W Fest. It was offered on six different Saturdays during F&W. The classes were from 10AM to 1PM, but they always went over by about 2 hours. I did it for three years before they canceled F&W due to construction of Buena Vista Street in 2011& 2012.

There were about a dozen chefs, the price was $400 or $450 (the last year), which at the time I thought was a lot of money, in hindsight it was a bargain! We made three different dishes (all savory) and watched a dessert demo. We ended up with a four course lunch with wine pairings. A lot of the courses were ones that we made ourselves.

I'm amazed that 10 years later, most of this TR is still in tact. I started it off by summarizing the first two years of the cooking school, and on page 5 is the full synopsis of the 2010 experience. There are a few pictures where images aren't showing, but all the cooking school ones are there.

Here is a link to my reviews of the event the three years I did it.

I keep asking when they will bring it back, but everyone I ask says that Chef Sutton is just too busy now.

I have a trademarked secret to my TRs... I could tell you but I'd have to kill you.

You'll have to wait and see.... ;)

I should solicit Disney to be part of their marketing campaign and I'll go and review stuff like this... if they'll cover it for me. LOL. Sadly, there's so much demand for this, they are booked months in advance.

Thanks! More coming today.
Saying they book months out, it's probably safe to assume they wouldn't have it available for mid april? Trying to do something special for my dad's 50th/last trip.

In the room, there were 6 hidden Mickeys. We had already discovered one in each corner, but according to Paul, the for the rest, Amy and I apparently had the best views to discover them. We would be curiously looking….

Matt soon popped into the room with a veritable bouquet of stemware in his hands wielding them like a master doling out roses to pretty ladies on the street.

DSC_3878%20(Large).jpg

The wine was served out of the dragon and the boa.

dragon%20(Large).jpg

Paul was pouring from the dragon. Not the most elegant flow, but the pour looks like it was pouring out of the mouth of a dragon. The other just looked cool. They had a quite a collection to start. When sourcing glassware, 21 bought out every decanter Riedel had at the time, so when they have to “retire” it, they can’t get another. They’ve only had to retire two… the first, the tail of one lightly bumped up against the wash basin, the fate of the second, was lost to time.

DSC_3853%20(Large).jpg

This is the crescendo. He only gets to pour this wine once per year in this room. It’s one of the smallest allocations for Disney. If you looked at the bottle and you look at the detail on the label, there is an engraving history. This comes from Bill Harland, who in the late 70s/early 80s, was taking the mantle from Mondavi and worked in Merryvale with Bob Levy. They were making great wines in Napa Valley and were tasting certain lots from various places that were better than everywhere else. They really got to know the terroir of the valley and all the specific characteristics. They started to think, if only we could bottle a barrel from smaller individual estates, but that was well ahead of the time. Back then, they just had Napa Valley, not any of the sub-appellations. They had a vision however, for a property in Oakville and that vision turned into Harlan Estate. Harlan was a game changer in the late 80s, early 90s with the cult wines from California like Screaming Eagle and the other cult wines which have become some of the most sought after wines in the world.

Harlan Estate is exactly that: a beautiful estate with all hillside fruit. They then wanted to go back to the memories of the past with all the small barrels that they remembered, so they started Bond. Bond is about five different vineyards all over the valley with their own characteristics and all cabernet sauvignon, which showcase the diversity of the valley and it’s amazing.

Matt spent a long time tasting those wines and is honored to run the program for Club 33 and cultivate those wines. For the 2009 vintage, a new wine popped up which he didn’t know about called Promontory. This is the third venture for the family. Bill Harlan was originally a geologist and he was fascinated about this area of Napa over the hill from Oakville that he believed something amazing could happen in. They threw out four straight vintages of this wine because they didn’t think it was worthy and started to believe they couldn’t make it happen. Where they landed was these traditional Italian upright casks made from Slovenian Oak and they figured that this process was finally able to tame the wild cabernet sauvignon they were growing. The wine started expressing itself and became elegant. Upon their first invite to members to join their wine club, they said their goal with Promontory was to discover a new shade of red. That was poetic and really cool and summed up what they were doing. They went into it not knowing where they were going to land and where they landed was Promontory. This is big, bold, has an amazing structure to it and would go really well with the beef they would be serving us. The beef has such rich marbling being Wagyu, the beef will just melt in our mouth and the tannins in the wine will clean off the richness between bites and allow for the same decadence bite after bite.

DSC_3887%20(Large).jpg

The gewürztraminer grape juice they were serving for those not drinking alcohol will work the same way but for a different reason. It comes from Navarro Vineyards as well as some of the other non-alcoholic pairings and will work just as well but for different reasons. It has hints of lychee and elderflower and the sweetness of it will balance out the richness of the steak.
We found the last of the hidden Mickeys immediately before Chef Daniel came out and introduced the main course.

DSC_3871%20(Large).jpg

Chef Daniel described that we had been all over the map when it came to the food we had been eating today. We started out with an elegant and reserved beginning, then went to the coastline with the spooky and foggy mist we smelled and tasted the great king crab. We then went to the West with the Pheasant and Oha Santa. They saved their favorite ingredient for the last, and that is Graded A-5 Wagyu Beef from Kagoshima, Japan. What does A-5 mean? It’s graded A for yield and scored 5 in four different categories, Color, Texture, Good Fat, and Marbling. This cow has lived better than most of us in the room. They have 3 people who are caretaking for them 24 hours per day, their feed is carefully selected and in Kagoshima Japan, the southernmost part of the island, the temperatures are high and it’s on the coast and has a great misty maritime climate keeping the cows ever so happy.

They treated it with some fresh herbs and chili, some fennel pollen, some smoked paprika, almost akin to pastrami on the palate. They matched it with vanilla scented chickpea puree, a beet jous akin to a beet vinaigrette, roasted red beets, and they also took the cheek from the same animal and braised it for many, many hours separately. They love to take curiosity and open new doors and we were invited to open new doors with the Chef with this course of wonderful A-5 beef.

DSC_3890%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3895%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3897%20(Large).jpg

As we ate, Chef Sutton popped in briefly to inquire as to how the meal was going. It was amazing! This was my first time meeting him and truly an honor to see what he and his amazingly talented chefs had created for our little dinner party.

The official description of this course:

Opening New Doors

A-5 Japanese Wagyu, Roasted Beet, Green Garbanzo Coulis
Wine
Promontory, Napa Valley 2013

Paul popped in towards the end of this course and made sure we had found all the hidden Mickeys correctly. He then made mention of a little show that they do off the balcony just for 21 Royal dinners. They do let about 4,000 other people watch the show from below which was put on just for us. It would be starting right around nine. The weather had calmed and there wasn’t too much wind, so chances were high the fireworks would also be happening.

There is a hidden Mickey on the ceiling in each corner of the room.

DSC_4316%20(Large).jpg

And one on each corner of the mantle.

DSC_4319%20(Large).jpg

Last edited:
So much details! By this time in the meal our group was less concerned with the qualities of the wines (which was fantastic) and more obsessed with the decanters!

Can you believe one member of our group refused to TRY the Wagyu because it was cooked perfectly (mine was slightly over for my taste, but still the best dish I've ever had)? She even had to be talked into the braised cheeks. I volunteered to have her's, but her hubby gobbled it up.

Can you believe one member of our group refused to TRY the Wagyu because it was cooked perfectly (mine was slightly over for my taste, but still the best dish I've ever had)? She even had to be talked into the braised cheeks. I volunteered to have her's, but her hubby gobbled it up.
That's bonkers! I will usually prefer NOT to eat fish eggs, anything with tentacles, or things that look back at me. However, the BEST beef tongue I've ever had was in Japan at a quick restaurant in a train station. I would have loved to try that Wagyu. It looked amazing. My hubby is a 'cook it til it's black' kinda guy. I'm a 'walk the cow through the kitchen and I'll cut off what I want' kinda girl.

If you're ever in the mood to try different wines (and it seems you often are!), where I live has about 8 wineries with different types throughout. Though the interior of the Province is well-known for their wines, the Island wines are fabulous and we even have a cidery that makes it's own gin and vodka too. Thinking about it, when you include craft beers, one could easily drink their way from tip to tip, tasting original brews, vines, and soils all along the way! Hmmm... tourist selling point maybe? LOL

That's bonkers! I will usually prefer NOT to eat fish eggs, anything with tentacles, or things that look back at me. However, the BEST beef tongue I've ever had was in Japan at a quick restaurant in a train station. I would have loved to try that Wagyu. It looked amazing. My hubby is a 'cook it til it's black' kinda guy. I'm a 'walk the cow through the kitchen and I'll cut off what I want' kinda girl.

Overcooking Wagyu would negate all the greatness of it. All the melt in your mouth would have been left on the grill. Not sure how people eat anything over medium (medium rare for me).... it's dry and flavorless. To do that to Wagyu would be sacrilege.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! We had Wagyu last summer in Japan, and it was incredible. Anything more than medium rare is sacrilege :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter